Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Skinty McEdger posted:

The kick trading spot on the mat is probably my fave spot so far this g-1.

It was so catty, I loved it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Star ratings for night 1 of G1 are out:

YOSHI-HASHI vs. Nagata ****1/4
Fale vs. Makabe ***1/4
Goto vs. Ishii ****1/4
Sabre vs. Tanahashi ****1/4
Naito vs. Ibushi ****3/4

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

ThePariah posted:

Anybody watch today's show? What's worth checking out?

First twice tournament matches are skippable - I'd recommend each of the last three even if none of them are MOTYC level. Sabre vs Fale in particular is a fun little David vs Goliath that only runs 9 minutes, so check that one out if you don't have a lot of time to invest or don't want to burn yourself out on G1 content

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, one of the the things that truly makes Okada a once-in-a-generation talent is how amazing he is at making all of his opponents look like stars. The way he structures matches and sequences is truly something else

Also I really appreciate that G1 is the one time of the year when we can truly see which heel factions are more heel than the others. This year, it's very clear that Los Ingobernables de Japon are the most face-like of the heel groups

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I like Yano but I think it'd be awesome if he lost all his remaining matches because he's still taped up and tied in a paradise lock. Jado just rolls him down the ramp and gingerly stuffs him into the ring, but he can't do anything and is immediately defeated in every match

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I may have missed some of the non-tournament matches he was involved in, but by my count, Hiromu is 4-0 since the death of Daryl. That's a motivated man if I've ever seen one

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait what was the latest act? Something after Daryl's death?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

he's not really a face, LIJ is arguably the second-most-heel faction after suzuki-gun

Anyone who thinks LIJ is more heel than Bullet Club after the death of Daryl at the hands of the coward Bad Luck Fale should be blocked and reported

Seriously though based on how they're getting booked throughout G1 matchups, LIJ are definitely less heel than Bullet Club, who are in turn less heel than Suzukigun

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I think the idea of Kenny beating Okada in G1, Naito beating Kenny in the finals, and Naito beating Okada at the dome works so well precisely because it's a very poetic way for Okada's arc as champion and undisputed ace to come to an end for now. All this year he's been defined as someone who has so much passion and fire that he gives 110% every time he comes out even if it's wearing his body down and exhausting him in the long term, and the wars that he's had with Omega are the clearest representation of that. For Okada to fall to the guy whose philosophy is all about relaxing, not rushing it, and spitting on self-destructive cultural expectations, right when it seems like the Tryhard Wars between he and Kenny are coming to their glorious climax... that would be perfect!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Giant Murderbaby posted:

Is mayonnaise evil?

Everything. EVERYTHING

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Think of how good it's gonna be when EVIL challenges Okada later in the year while his good strong friend Naito is holding the briefcase

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Pinwiz11 posted:

So it has to be Naito v Omega in the Finals with Naito winning. Right? Nothing else makes sense from a booking standpoint.

Omega gets his win, but Naito wins overall to set up a different WK match. At least that's what I see...

Yeah especially because Omega going into that match would have all the confidence in the world, having taken out Naito in last year's block final and both EVIL and SANADA in this year's tournament. Everything is tying together really nicely, and unrelatedly, everything is also evil

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
ZSJ's frankensubmission on Ishii was the goddamn best. I'd love for those two to have an extended program over, say, the NEVER belt

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Okada's style in and of itself isn't very dangerous. He doesn't do any neck drops except his tombstone, which is really easy to pull. He doesn't do any crazy dives, the closest is his over-the-barricade crossbody. But he's more dedicated than maybe any wrestler in the world to making his opponents look like absolute killers in the ring, and that means that anyone he fights with a hard-hitting style is going to legit brutalize him in their matches. It's definitely got me anxious, and hopefully he gets to spend the rest of the year mostly coasting in multi-mans and healing up

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

BWV posted:

Like someone just said, Okada is so good at simultaneously looking strong and getting his rear end kicked. His selling and demeanour makes his opponent look like a million bucks while also maintaining his own strength. I love Okada and he is the best. I am full fanboy.

I feel like this is a big part of why, despite Okada being probably the best wrestler in the world, he goes into just about every title defense with the majority of those watching hoping - and believing! - that the other guy will pull it off

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Please rate this year's G1 Climax tournament using this chart:

I rate it "center square"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010