Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Forget Omega/Okada 3, I'm here for Omega/Suzuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

shiksa posted:

i fell asleep halfway through fale/makabe last night

To be fair this is my reaction to most Makabe matches.

Naito/Ibushi loving ruled.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Really want to watch Elgin/Okada live but the Korakuen Hall start times are murder in my time zone :(

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Huh, wasn't expecting Kenny to take the L here. So I guess Mike's getting the first shot at the US title?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Juice beats Okada and gets the KOPW title shot

Please let me keep living in this fantasy

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah Naito/Ishii was really good, though I liked their Long Beach match better.

Juice probably won't win but I'm super excited to see what he does, this will be a huge test for his in-ring development.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Bigass Moth posted:

Does Billy Gunn own the rights to that name or does WWE just not care?

I think he finally bought the name when WWE recently fired him a year ago, which is why he could be Billy Gunn in NJPW but had to be "Kip" or whatever bullshit when he was in TNA.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Sabre is getting way more wins than I expected for his first G1

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So happy for my boy Juice and also happy for my boy KING OF DARKNESS EVIL

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So based on G1 results, here's my predicted card for KOPW, at least for the major singles matches.

IWGP: Okada vs. EVIL
IC: Tanahashi vs. Sabre
US: Kenny vs. Juice
NEVER: Suzuki vs. Elgin
WK title shot: Naito (G1 winner) vs. Ishii
Junior: KUSHIDA vs. Someone? Don't know who's next in line beyond just running :daryl: again.
Whatever the tag teams and faction guys do, you can just mix and match to fill out the undercard.

Does that seem right?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still think the plan is Naito/Okada at the Dome, Kenny beats Okada to go 1-1-1 and they save the blowoff in their back pocket for sometime next year. Don't know how you get there if Naito is winning the belt, but there's time to figure that out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MrBling posted:

Who is ready for the Naito vs EVIL G1 final?
It would be an easy way to do some "dissension in the ranks" storyline where Naito assumes that EVIL is going to just lay down for him. It would also ensure that everything stays evil.

That would be neat, but they're already doing the "faction dissension" story in the BC with Tonga and Cody resenting Kenny and the Bucks, so that'd be going to the well one too many times. Part of what makes LIJ cool is that they always stick together even when forced to wrestle each other (see EVIL vs. SANADA), so I'd like to keep that going for a while.

One of my favorite things about the New Japan factions is that everyone on the roster has honest-to-God friends. Whether face or heel, champion or midcard drone, they all stick together. It establishes that the wrestlers have buddies they actually like and care about, and everyone supports each other in their competitive endeavors, while also opposing the factions they don't get along with. It helps create a fully realized universe that all ties together in different ways.

It's super refreshing compared to WWE, where nobody interacts with each other unless they're feuding/teaming, and it creates a weirdly isolated show that never feels like a truly connected universe.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That match ruled, Kenny/Naito is gonna rule, the G1 rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, and Michael Elgin vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre Jr, and Takashi Iizuka)

"Oh this should be fun, 5 of the best wrestlers in the company and ... IIzuka??? :catstare:"

• Locked thread