Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah, if you just set up to direct-wire to car electrical (you could probably just patch in to the audio battery line) you don't have to worry about power at all.

Hooking in to security sensors would be useful; you could maybe write a routine to either have it wake and start recording on impact sense, or just record all the time, and auto-save if an event occurs so you can if someone's breaking in to the car or somesuch.

Hell, maybe have a camera that records the interior if an "event" like that occurs? You could make a cheap-o lojack solution if you have it seek open access points if it thinks it's being stolen and send GPS to a pre-authorized e-mail or IM app. Add cellular capability (expensive, probably best as an optional module), and you could have recording and reporting, just call the cops and have them follow the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Having gmail, I would be totally ok with it sending this without the "if" statement - I can ignore the emails until I need them.

Truthfully, I've always wondered why it's not an option for lost pet tags, find my <device>, etc. Or maybe it is and I just don't know it.

Trying to put GPS and such in a pet tag makes it rather large, which limits what kind of pets you can use it for. They've also got bluetooth and RFID versions which makes for smaller packaging.

"Find my device", at least on my phone, DOES provide regular position updates as long as it's connected to a network; I can also force-update at will via the website as well as ring the device (which bypasses silence functions), put messages on the lock screen, or do a remote wipe.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

I am rethinking the battery situation. If I can keep the power draw under... 250 mAh@5V, which I think I can, then a small battery could possibly be sourced that would run the device for around 10 minutes.

There's a battery in every single car that's far better than anything you're going to be able to source that won't adversely impact the footprint. just make something that can patch in to the radio harness and you're set for power and battery feed.

Another thing, if you make an RCA output you could patch in to the video feeds on in-dash units. Could possibly be used to add back-up camera functions and maybe parking assist.

• Locked thread