Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

You can shoo cats away and stuff, just don't loving poison them.

*unless you live in Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Pollyanna posted:

You can shoo cats away and stuff, just don't loving poison them.

I was being sarcastic dick head. I made the original thread so read what my intentions were.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello Sailor posted:

Never buy a car unless you can afford to pay cash. Take it back, use the "down payment" to buy a car you can afford, and use part of the money you're now not going to spend on a car payment, bank-required insurance coverage, and higher property taxes to rent a house with a garage. Park the car you can afford in the garage like a boss.

I try to be a constructive poster and mod, but this is post is really blowing my mind. :psyduck:

I paid less than $2k USD when I bought my car and own her outright, please tell me how I can now therefore afford to rent a house with a garage.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I try to be a constructive poster and mod, but this is post is really blowing my mind. :psyduck:

I paid less than $2k USD when I bought my car and own her outright, please tell me how I can now therefore afford to rent a house with a garage.

pls just ignore libertarian posters, their financial beliefs have no basis in reality

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that the OP's car cost rather more than $2k, given that it was described as a "dream car" and they were getting salty about cat footprints on the hood. I'm guessing they're spending about $500-600/mo between the loan payment + increased cost of insurance.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

pls just ignore libertarian posters, their financial beliefs have no basis in reality

I despise libertarians and don't agree with their financial beliefs, but thanks for playing.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
As I said before just spray the cats with a little spray bottle of water or something, although they probably aren't going to poo poo on it since they like to bury it. Invest in a tarp or something if you're worried but not much is going to happen anyway.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Hello Sailor posted:

I'm operating under the assumption that the OP's car cost rather more than $2k, given that it was described as a "dream car" and they were getting salty about cat footprints on the hood. I'm guessing they're spending about $500-600/mo between the loan payment + increased cost of insurance.

drat, you got my hopes up :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hello Sailor posted:

I despise libertarians and don't agree with their financial beliefs, but thanks for playing.

Where do you live that that kind of money can get you a house with a garage?!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I currently live in a small college town and an extra $200/mo in rent would make the difference between my 2 BR apartment with covered parking versus a 3 BR house with a garage. I moved here from Kansas City, where an extra $400/mo would have made the difference between my 1 BR apartment with lot parking and a luxury 1 BR with a garage. I moved to KC from coastal Georgia in 2011; $500 more a month would have made the difference there.

So, probably anywhere in the midwest with a greater metropolitan population of 2M or less?

rumble in the bunghole posted:

As I said before just spray the cats with a little spray bottle of water or something, although they probably aren't going to poo poo on it since they like to bury it. Invest in a tarp or something if you're worried but not much is going to happen anyway.

Non-bird animal crap on your car is probably from raccoons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Any flyover/midwestern state.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think you can get that here in michigan, a non-flyover state

e; gently caress i guess it's still midwestern

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hello Sailor posted:

I currently live in a small college town and an extra $200/mo in rent would make the difference between my 2 BR apartment with covered parking versus a 3 BR house with a garage. I moved here from Kansas City, where an extra $400/mo would have made the difference between my 1 BR apartment with lot parking and a luxury 1 BR with a garage. I moved to KC from coastal Georgia in 2011; $500 more a month would have made the difference there.

So, probably anywhere in the midwest with a greater metropolitan population of 2M or less?

Non-bird animal crap on your car is probably from raccoons.

The median in the northern Virginia area, where I live, is $1500 a month for a one bedroom apartment. My two bedroom townhome with two parking spots and no garage was a hair under 300k, which was a hell of a deal. I've seen three bedroom townhomes with garages for 450+ grand.

I say this not to provoke a dickwaving contest, for my dick is tiny and shriveled. I'm just saying that for a lot of folks a garage is less feasible than even a very nice car.

Edit: it's worth mentioning that if you math out where people fly to and from where, Virginia is actually the most flown over state :v:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Goon cat lovers are idiots

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I gave you decent advice in like the 3rd post and you ignored it to talk about rat poison

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I gave you decent advice in like the 3rd post and you ignored it to talk about rat poison

I would imagine water would work but if it's a skittish cat I'm sure it may attempt to quickly get away by digging its nails into my hood. I'd never poison a cat

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

Borrowed from https://www.cuteness.com/article/keep-cats-off-cars:

Step 3
Set up an ultrasound pet alarm. An alarm, set off by a motion detector, scares off cats. It costs about $30 and is very easy to set up, even on the roof of a car.

Step 4
Try a CatStop. This product works for up to about 20 feet by emitting a high-pitched sound that humans can't hear. It runs on batteries or electricity.

Step 5
Use a ScatMat, which scares the animals off, teaching them not to go on your car. However, instead of an alarm, it uses static to alarm the cats. Depending on the size of the mat you buy, the ScatMat can cost anywhere from $20 to $420. After the cat learns to stay away, you can put it away until you need it again.
-------

A car cover makes the most sense to me for your situation, but you mentioned earlier that you are opposed to using one.
Other people online use tarps to make a cheap and easy-off car cover if that's the issue.

*shrugs* I think cat paw prints on cars are adorable, but that's my opinion.
Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

• Locked thread