Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Haha, wow. Talk about method acting!

edit: I now remember hearing about the pig guts before, I think a number of zombie actors got sick after doing that scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Call Me Charlie posted:

I feel bad that he went out on Survival Of The Dead.

Even if Road of the Dead turns out good, it won't be the same.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Best line he ever wrote? Quite possibly.
I dunno, I'm partial to "I'm running this monkey-farm now, Frankenstein and I wanna know... what the gently caress you're doing with my time?!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's a certain regret I think in that we will never get the original end of the series, i.e. the unfilmed Day of the Dead script. Clearly by the time he got to make Land his ideas had moved on but drat, that would have been a sight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a certain regret I think in that we will never get the original end of the series, i.e. the unfilmed Day of the Dead script. Clearly by the time he got to make Land his ideas had moved on but drat, that would have been a sight.

What was it?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Is that the goofy "train zombies to shoot zombies" one?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
There was an island where the former governor of Florida had control over a trained zombie army, to predictable results. Day of the Dead got severely reduced by the budget, but parts of it remain. I think they somehow killed off zombies for good too?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

504 posted:

Is that the goofy "train zombies to shoot zombies" one?

Training zombies to kill zombies sounds pretty cool. You got hints of that with Bub in "Day". Especially, knowing Romero, it would probably end with both sides of zombies joining forcing and hunting down humans with guns.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

I am not knowledable in Romero's story, but I do love zombie films.
Was there much interference by studios or such in Land of the Dead?
As none had big stars in them, and then suddenly Dennis Hopper and John Leguizamo.

Looks like it wasnt his real dream imo, there are definitely glimpses into it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The big things in the original Day script was it was this entire society under the control of this mad general and his zombie army, and at the very start one of the characters the main characters were traveling with dies, and isn't shot in the head or burned or anything- but at the end, three days later, they find his body is still there.

See, three days, and he HASN'T risen.

There's never really an explanation- whatever curse or phenomenon took place is passed over, the society they were trapped in has been blown up, and the children are left to start a new society.

Land I never heard of being a particularly bad experience- the one thing I know Universal insisted on was an R rating, but if you look at the R and unrated cuts side by side it's very hard to tell the difference, since a thing about big studios is they're good at negotiating with the MPAA. But the movie didn't do too great at the box office (seems to have just about broken even) and Romero was happy to go back to indie work for the rest of his career.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Romero was even that excited about making another "of the Dead" movie but it was the only movie of his he could get greenlit due to the remake of Dawn making all the money.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The one thing I'll always remember most (unfortunately) is how hard I laughed during Diary of the Dead. Given that the 'camera' is a dude filming everything, there's a part in the hospital where the zombie pushes past the camera man and bites one of the group members ahead of him.

Dawn is one of my all time favorite movies though, so it's a bummer over all.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I've heard those last two "of the Dead" movies are pretty awful

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think Romero was even that excited about making another "of the Dead" movie but it was the only movie of his he could get greenlit due to the remake of Dawn making all the money.

It was the time immediately after the success of 28 Days Later and then the Dawn remake, so yea zombies were making a big comeback and the opportunity was there for Romero to get a reasonable budget for another Dead film. $20 million is quite a lot for a Romero film, I'd imagine that's the biggest budget he's ever had to work with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Probably appropriate to post here, Jay Bauman made a little tribute montage to Romero's work at the end of his review of Martin. It's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C47zRs6SPZM&t=1853s

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I found that really moving, it was a nice send off.

Whats the movie with the guy in a suit of armor on a motorcycle?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mike N Eich posted:

I found that really moving, it was a nice send off.

Whats the movie with the guy in a suit of armor on a motorcycle?

Knightriders

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Also don't be fooled by the name Knightriders is actually a serious movie.Like yeah it's got a bunch of guys jousting on motorcycles but there is a really good dlstory in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If any of you goons live in Los Angeles, they're showing Romero's Martin August 4th at the Silent Movie Theater/Cinefamily and they're showing Knightriders at the NoHo7 in August.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/the-history-of-the-midnight-movie/#an-evening-w-ben-barenholtz-featuring-martin

https://www.laemmle.com/films/42533

• Locked thread