Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

The greatness of Romero can't be overstated (I mean, can you imagine single-handedly redefining a term like Romero did with zombies?), this is the only black mark for him I have. I am watching these movies for the explicit threat of the undead one way or another, it's always a groaner when the Stupid Human has to do the Stupid Human Thing that pops the otherwise solid bubble. It never felt like the humans made a mistake, it always came across that they actively decided to do the worst thing that would lead to the sad ending.

I'm not sure if it's entirely fair to blame him for it, but all of his zombie films do it just as much as his later imitators do.

Nah, you can watch proto-zombie movies like 'The Earth Dies Screaming' and while the tensions in the group are always a major obstacle, the climax always involves the undead (or aliens in the case of the latter)

It's just the nature of film. Gotta have a climax, and decapitating zombies is a better climax than people resolving their differences.

Romero is especially interesting since he has this really rough and ready style of film making that's kind of amateurish at times, but he did things that others simply wouldn't. It was kind of that 'fools go where angels fear to tread' thing how he would jump headfirst into racially charged imagery that a more formal film maker probably would have thought twice about. Also, that shot of the cops knocking the barricaded door in and the arms coming out is one of the best shots in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's a certain regret I think in that we will never get the original end of the series, i.e. the unfilmed Day of the Dead script. Clearly by the time he got to make Land his ideas had moved on but drat, that would have been a sight.

What was it?

• Locked thread