Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Neeksy posted:

I have to admit I was a little confused by the ending of the most recent episode. How did Mary having a bad hand screw the guy over?

She successfully bluffed the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

She successfully bluffed the idiot.

I got that she bluffed, but I'm not sure how the mechanics of it worked (I have not played poker). My understanding is that she would only win the chips if he folded, and I don't remember him saying he folded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I got that she bluffed, but I'm not sure how the mechanics of it worked (I have not played poker). My understanding is that she would only win the chips if he folded, and I don't remember him saying he folded.

Yeah, he folded. When they say 'hold', they're giving up.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

he said he folded when he figured that she probably has a really good hand. his options were: call her raise (risking a lot of his chips) or fold (losing whatever chips he already put in). he folded, which meant that she won the chips he had already bet, despite having an awful hand.

he lost like 1-3 chips for nothing, essentially, which is a decent play when you only have 10 chips to begin with.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Neeksy posted:

He did fold before he ranted about the two cheating.

Normally in poker, there is a dealer, little blind and big blind. Left of the dealer is the little blind, they pay for example £2 worth of chips. Next to them is the big blind, who pays double. Then, all the other players decide if they want to play the hand or not. There is an initial round of betting, where the big blind is already in the game and the little blind just needs to double their contribution to the pot. All other players have to contribute the number of chips the big blind did, or raise further. Betting continues until all but one person folds or until a consensus is made on the bet amount. Then, three cards are put on the board and it goes on.

This isn't poker. In this game, you just draw two cards and see if it matches suit or number. When you fold, you give up the chips you've put in.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ninjewtsu posted:

he said he folded when he figured that she probably has a really good hand. his options were: call her raise (risking a lot of his chips) or fold (losing whatever chips he already put in). he folded, which meant that she won the chips he had already bet, despite having an awful hand.

he lost like 1-3 chips for nothing, essentially, which is a decent play when you only have 10 chips to begin with.

See, that's what I was thinking, but before that he scoffs at the idea of losing just a couple chips" so I thought his reaction after was weird since he already knew he was losing the chips anyway.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

What probably happened is he lost the high value chips since each chip is worth 1/10th of the original owners debt.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the point is that he is a lovely mook who was given a method to cheat by the student council. all of his bluster is meaningless.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
More to the point, Mary getting her groove back.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neeksy posted:

See, that's what I was thinking, but before that he scoffs at the idea of losing just a couple chips" so I thought his reaction after was weird since he already knew he was losing the chips anyway.

Its not about the chips he lost, its that Mary shooked him. He thought he had figured them out but nope.

The fun part is the probability that Yumeko might have had a stronger hand. If she did, and she knew that, then Yumeko and Mary might be trading wins. Essentially giving them twice the chips as the other two and just winning against them by attrition.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Until she pulls the trigger on that right to challenge the 'house pets' get, I don't think it's a given Yumeko is trying to win at all. Losing that game at the traditional culture club didn't seem to throw her much--I think she's happy so long as she's taking an absurd risk.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rangpur posted:

Until she pulls the trigger on that right to challenge the 'house pets' get, I don't think it's a given Yumeko is trying to win at all. Losing that game at the traditional culture club didn't seem to throw her much--I think she's happy so long as she's taking an absurd risk.

She doesn't need to win to come out in a better position right? She has the highest debt of all of them so she stands to lose nothing. As long as she ends up third or greater she'll be in a better off position. Im half expecting Yumeko to purposely get 3rd so that the little quiet girl stays in the same position she was before the game started instead of shouldering Mary's debt. She still wins because she has a fraction of her previous debt, quiet girl stays the same, Mary wins big and the guy gets dumpstered.

Actually, even getting third means she's the biggest winner in terms of debt reduction %.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

She doesn't need to win to come out in a better position right? She has the highest debt of all of them so she stands to lose nothing. As long as she ends up third or greater she'll be in a better off position. Im half expecting Yumeko to purposely get 3rd so that the little quiet girl stays in the same position she was before the game started instead of shouldering Mary's debt. She still wins because she has a fraction of her previous debt, quiet girl stays the same, Mary wins big and the guy gets dumpstered.

Actually, even getting third means she's the biggest winner in terms of debt reduction %.
Girls just wanna have fu-uuun. :unsmigghh:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mary is probably gonna win this, but the dude is absolutely 100% gonna get last place. like, was there ever any doubt?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yumeko wants to have fun. Mary wants to win to clear off her debt and possibly get Yumeko in her harem. Kiwatari or whatever the gently caress his name is will get his poo poo pushed hard. He will bawl like a kid with a skinned knee. Or something. Seriously, I hope Midari pistol-whips his rear end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Quiet girl is going to suddenly turn out to be the real threat. She's too quiet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sindai posted:

Quiet girl is going to suddenly turn out to be the real threat. She's too quiet.

`She's punching yumikos tits in the next episode preview so who knows

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, the most obvious way for the mook to cheat is by working with the quiet girl. it'd also explain why he so eagerly accused the other two of doing the same.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Surprise surprise, show continues to own. Even the :byodame: loli was awesome!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Surprise surprise, show continues to own. Even the :byodame: loli was awesome!

Its amazing how ugly this show can get

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a japanese term / slang for the nightmarish faces that some characters do?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, just found out about the break this and a bunch of other shows are taking. :(

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The animators on this show are drawing the heck out of those eyeballs.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
https://my.mixtape.moe/xpckjc.webm

:lol:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Yumeko is getting a nendoroid so I hope the face plates are good else why bother

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yo I watched the first episode and this show is really grimy and nasty lol

Does it keep this tone/art style whole way thru

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Smoking Crow posted:

Yo I watched the first episode and this show is really grimy and nasty lol

Does it keep this tone/art style whole way thru

Haven''t seen ep 5 yet, but through 4? Definitely.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nice

I love some grimy rear end anime

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Is there a japanese term / slang for the nightmarish faces that some characters do?

Yumeko in particular would probably fall under ahego, though that's usually a hentai thing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime_Otaku posted:

Yumeko in particular would probably fall under ahego, though that's usually a hentai thing.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Ahegao term. A friend of mine has his cellphone with a case that's nothing but that. It's... really awkward to look at. :yikes:

I meant things like this:

Or when the girls that try to bully Yumeko start to attempt to mock her.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Wark Say posted:

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Ahegao term. A friend of mine has his cellphone with a case that's nothing but that. It's... really awkward to look at. :yikes:

I meant things like this:

Or when the girls that try to bully Yumeko start to attempt to mock her.

I guess "kaogei" would be the closest, which is a general term for funny/odd faces.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Watching this show, it's definitely ahegao lol

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Looking at the screenshots makes me wonder if this is the same studio as Attack On Titan.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime_Otaku posted:

Looking at the screenshots makes me wonder if this is the same studio as Attack On Titan.
This anime is a Studio MAPPA joint (Yuri on Ice!!!, the 2 Rage of Bahamut seasons) who are mostly former Madhouse peeps + some of that new blood. Attack on Titan is done by the Studio Wit guys (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, the upcoming Ancient Magus' Bride anime), who are... like, an offshoot of Production IG? They're both under the same holding company, so I dunno how that works, but there you go. :)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Can we talk about how this show's OP bites sayonara zetsubou sensei's OPs really hard

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Wark Say posted:

This anime is a Studio MAPPA joint (Yuri on Ice!!!, the 2 Rage of Bahamut seasons) who are mostly former Madhouse peeps + some of that new blood. Attack on Titan is done by the Studio Wit guys (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, the upcoming Ancient Magus' Bride anime), who are... like, an offshoot of Production IG? They're both under the same holding company, so I dunno how that works, but there you go. :)

So not the same company but maybe some staff cross over? I guess it really comes down to any association between the mangakas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Uh, maybe? Just so we're clear, when I said that “They're under the same holding company”, I was referring to Production I.G and Wit. MAPPA (who's producing this show) is a different story altogether.

Interesting piece of data, though! One of the main people working on Kakegurui is writer Yasuko Kobayashi, who's in charge of series composition and in charge of scripts, and she did the same for the 2 Attack on Titan seasons (she's also more or less the person in charge of series composition for all of the David Production's JoJo Anime Adaptation so far).

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I like how was episode is a bit like a detective show, except it's figuring out how people are cheating.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The theme song to this owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
2018, only on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTlHQiRNVl0

• Locked thread