Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is a 2nd season likely to happen in a relatively short time? Or do you goons think that the manga might be going too slowly for that to happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what a toothless ending

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
For a series that's supposed to be about the thrill and risk of gambling they sure played it safe with that cop-out ending.

Still a good series. Hope they do a second season.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Ytlaya posted:

If anyone likes the weird "people getting turned on by dangerous situations" aspect of this, they should also read the manga Kamisama no Iutoori. It's basically the same thing except with lethal death games instead of gambling (though some of the games involve gambling).

I have mixed feelings about this because I just binged through both series in a day and while I quite liked it the ending left me kinda empty and unsatisfied.

Although I suppose that's completely appropriate.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, my heart is pounding. That was unsatisfying in that it didn't really resolve anything, but I'm beyond pumped for season two, if a season two happens, which it better, or I will weep for like a month.

Wark Say posted:

It's just that the game itself felt incredibly simple, especially given how Kirari seems like a gal that enjoys getting weird.

I maintain what I said about the games being irrelevant.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TenCentFang posted:

Man, my heart is pounding. That was unsatisfying in that it didn't really resolve anything, but I'm beyond pumped for season two, if a season two happens, which it better, or I will weep for like a month.

I maintain what I said about the games being irrelevant.
:agreed: on the anticipation for a potential 2nd season.

I still kinda wanted for the games to be a little bit beyond window dressing.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Like it'd be nice if the games were good on top of everything else, but season one having ended, I think it's probably best to have little expectations for that aspect and be pleasantly surprised if they ever get better.

But obviously you still like Kakegurui so it's not like it's worth arguing about or anything. It just honestly doesn't occur to me because I feel like it's not something that even needs focusing on, and it might be more satisfying to take that point of view too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TenCentFang posted:

Like it'd be nice if the games were good on top of everything else, but season one having ended, I think it's probably best to have little expectations for that aspect and be pleasantly surprised if they ever get better.

But obviously you still like Kakegurui so it's not like it's worth arguing about or anything. It just honestly doesn't occur to me because I feel like it's not something that even needs focusing on, and it might be more satisfying to take that point of view too.
Yeah, I guess. I do like almost everything else: VA's are all good-to-great (I knew she was good from a couple of other things, but Saori Hayami unleashing her voice like she did here was loving, music is fairly good, character interactions are great and it's a goddamn gif goldmine).

My favorite piece of music is a toss-up between the recurring piano riff that seems very sputtering and the song that plays in tense / revelatory moments.

It was perfect for that moment when Manyuda climbs down the stairs to confront Yumeko / Yumemi. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAs0nsFqCgM

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

that ending sucked rear end and i'd reccomend anyone who liked kakegurui to read the last gamble (the last like 5 pages of chapter 27 all the way through 33) and forget this ep happened

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

It would be super easy to continue to S2

i mean they didn't commit to anything they can't backpedal on too quickly but the happily ever after ending doesn't make much sense considering s2 would need to open like a week later with the prez going "okay never mind"

also the ending we got gives zero of the assistant's back story so she's just going to be a jealous girl who's Deal you will never know

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

blizzardvizard posted:

I have mixed feelings about this because I just binged through both series in a day and while I quite liked it the ending left me kinda empty and unsatisfied.

Although I suppose that's completely appropriate.

I agree in the sense that it was disappointing in terms of wanting a happier ending on a personal level (kinda a shame Natsumegu never came back), but it was also a kind of cool reversal to send the message "this can all be reversed if the protagonist wins" and then be like "sike! Death is actually permanent!" The friend guy choosing to redo everything to meet the version of Akashi he liked was also pretty hosed up in a moral sense but interesting otherwise. Altogether I'd say the ending was actually better in a thematic/originality sense than I expected from something with that kind of trashy premise.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I didn't love the anime finale's game itself, but the characters' antics made it lots of fun as usual, so I don't have too many complaints. Will probably pick up the manga someday, but I'm hoping we'll get more of the anime too. The performances brought these crazy idiots to life oh so well.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

esselfortium posted:

I didn't love the anime finale's game itself, but the characters' antics made it lots of fun as usual, so I don't have too many complaints. Will probably pick up the manga someday, but I'm hoping we'll get more of the anime too. The performances brought these crazy idiots to life oh so well.

:agreed:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Erg posted:

that ending sucked rear end and i'd reccomend anyone who liked kakegurui to read the last gamble (the last like 5 pages of chapter 27 all the way through 33) and forget this ep happened

The end of 27 was a decent stopping point, more or less, but they needed something to round out the anime and fill episode 12 as a proper cap in the event it doesn't get adapted, while still leaving that hook that the chapter left. The last episode is easy enough to ignore since literally nothing of note happened. The most that actually could be said to have happened that diverged from the manga is that Jabami and the President gets their first gamble at that point instead of later and Suzui grows a pair sooner.

IMO, if they wanted a better ending, they could padded out the other episodes and kept it closer to the manga, but it's certainly not a terrible one.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

in an ideal world they would have gotten a 13th episode so they didn't have to cobble together an ending but rip to that i guess

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Erg posted:

To be fair I kind of got that feeling from the manga's final gamble before the next arc
while the ridiculous gambletower was cool and good it definitely backpedaled exactly as much and basically nullified the entire gamble

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I want Kakegurui to crossover with serial killer season 0 original manga Yu-Gi-Oh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think yumeko would like him very much, because he was constantly escalating bets after the game was over with his murder magic.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Oh look. https://www.netflix.com/title/80175351

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I, too, crave to get engulfed in the madness of July 2017's hottest anime in TYOOL 2018. The cool thing is that a second season is coming so there's that to look forward to.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I would like to watch the drama, apparently it's already started in Japan. Wanna see some actors try to make some of those crazyfaces.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wark Say posted:

I, too, crave to get engulfed in the madness of July 2017's hottest anime in TYOOL 2018. The cool thing is that a second season is coming so there's that to look forward to.

I'll watch it again

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, most definitely. Especially if Netflix got dubs in English or LatAm Spanish. I hope they can channel the crazy/goofy stylings some of the OG Japanese VA's busted out, at least.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Show's out on Netflix. Going by the first two episodes (in LatAm Spanish), Jocelyn Robles sounds boring as hell as Yumeko most of the time, but she seems to find her footing as Crazy Yumeko. Ricardo Bautista actually makes Suzui feel like a character and not just a boring-rear end cutout. Valentina Souza, however, completely stole the show in the first episode as Mary.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I’ve decided to give English dub a go, I like it, though I’ve not watched any scenes and ewatched in Japanese to make a comparison though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
This show is loving wild yo

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Stumbled onto this randomly one night and just kept constantly laughing and going "wait, what" throughout that I had to stop and pull my friends in on it. We just finished it via Hangout and it was everything I didn't know I wanted. Can't wait for season 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Haven’t watched any yet but Netflix has a live action version of the show now too, it looks like they’re taking it much slower than the anime did, the live action version is on episode 10 and is covering the ESP game over episodes 9 and 10. By contrast the anime episode 10 was the choice poker game.

• Locked thread