Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Kakegurui is a manga written by Homura Kawamoto and illustrated by Toru Naomura and an anime prouced by MAPPA. Kakegurui takes place at extremely prestigious Hyakkaou Private Academy. Hyakkaou is home to the most wealthy and privileged youth of Japan. Rather than place focus on academics or athletics, the student body has devoted itself to gambling to determine it's hierarchy, with the mysterious Student Council running the show. The greatest gamblers rise to the top of the food chain, while those who find themselves in debt became slaves, wearing collars and are given pet names until they can somehow make their way back into the black.

One day a second year student, Yumeko Jabami, transfers to Hyakkaou. Seemingly fresh meat the cutthroat grinder that is her peers, there is much more to Yumeko than meets the eye, causing her to gain the eye of the Student Council

Netflix has picked up the rights to this show I believe and so will sadly be releasing it at the end of the season, so finding where to watch it right now is on you

Characters:

Yumeko Jabami - There's a lot we don't know about Ms. Jabami like her background and her history. What we do know though is that this girl loving loves gambling, able to grasp games she's never seen before with ease and see how her opponents are pulling the strings

Again, she really loves gambling

Mary Saotome - A fellow student in Yumeko's class, Mary is the top of her class. Well, she was until she challenged Yumeko to a game, and has fallen into Pet Status. Her attempts to pick herself back up have been met with difficulty and she only seems to be digging her hole deeper. There's apparently a prequel manga called Kakegurui Twin, which takes place a year before the events of Kakegurui, focusing on Mary.

Ryota Suzui is dude with bad luck who starts the series in Pet Status after having lost to Mary. After Yumeko defeats Mary, Ryota hangs around with Yumeko, acting as exposition to tell us and her about the rules and important students of the academy. He really doesn't do much else beside sit behind Yumeko as she gambles and say things she doesn't respond to. Afterwards, Yumeko will talk about the match and other things that Ryota doesn't respond to, it's a lil weird

I got no pictures for this guy, just imagine a boiler plate brown hair'd protagonist dude.

This show is real silly and cool! It's the only thing I'm watching of this season right now and I feel pretty full off that alone. The more realistic style may not be your taste, but it really sells just how batshit all these women are in the best way. I've yet to read the manga but right now the pacing seems pretty good, with every episode so far having a new Gamble and introducing a new antagonist. I really love all the designs of the Student Council members and im excited to see what all these weirdos do and how they play off each other. If you like scary women who look like they can and will murder you and eat your bones, give it a watch! If you have read the manga, please talk about it, but be smart about spoiler tags plz. Like I said I haven't read the manga so if anything needs to be added to the OP or you have more buckwild gifs and faces you want me to put in it, lemme know.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
gun girl hasn't even said anything and she already rules

Julias posted:

In before Dav posts blob.jpeg

I'm enjoying this show so far, hoping that it gets more interesting with its games, though....
Yeah the last game wasn't super exicting and the one before was just a bigger game of Concentration. The card Rock-Paper-Scissors was neat tho, that's a cool way to play.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
if they don't pull a kaiji and have a drill slowly working it's way through someone's ear every time they gently caress up, i'll drop this show

Honestly my gut feeling is that the stakes won't get too high, just because it is high school girls at an official institution and it's not like Kaiji where the yakuza and loansharks have gathered these poor gently caress ups to either kill them or get their money on an unmarked cruise ship at night

But also there's a girl missing an eye waving a gun around so that could totally be wrong. I do hope gun girl lost that eye in a gamble

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^^^ That's all super interesting! It kinda seems like Netflix is throwing poo poo at an anime wall and seeing what sticks. With buying shows and not simulcasting, but also supporting things like Blame!, Death Note and Castlevania, I have no idea how those projects are doing for them, but they seem to be going right ahead

anyway jesus kakegurui chill the gently caress out, we're only a third of the way through.

I like how Gun Girl is somehow the LEAST intimidating person on this show, mostly because she's extremely upfront about it. I'm proooobably gonna have to request a gif av of her before this show's over

the actual gambling is the thing i care about least on this show but im glad Mary's having a good time for once

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 23, 2017

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'll probably pick up the manga too, I'm curious at the legs this series has. I def thought it was gonna be a predictable formula where every episode is a different student council nutjob, but instead there's the first multi episode game..

Wark Say posted:

It was kind of a mixed bag. A lot of anime that we got was mostly because we got the licenses for dirt cheap. One of the few surprises a bunch of people received was how a lot of casual, non-anime watching folks got into Fate/Zero and My Bride is a Mermaid and how, despite mixed reviews, fuckin' Irregular at Magic High School and Sword Art Online got really huge during my tenure, the licenses for both were basically hand-me-downs because Aniplex was gonna get most of its earnings from the Simulcasts / BD-DVD requests.

Funny that you mentioned Blame! and Castlevania. From what I heard (different department, since they were both treated 100% as Netflix originals) Castlevania and Blame were basically Netflix picking up the slack on things that had been worked on already to an extent and going "Can we get a couple of re-writes so that we can make this a series of episodes/movies instead of a standalone?" to the people involved (I know for a fact Ellis visited the Los Gatos HQ). Like, I'm glad that both projects got successfully off the ground and that both turned out well, but let's not mince words and pretend that there's a lot of involvement with a lot of what qualifies as a "Netflix Original".
Man that's weird, it's been obvious for a bit, but Netflix's game plan really seems to be Get As Many Fingers In As Many Pies As Possible. Barely related, but the amount of Asian dramas on there was always neat to me, cause there's like 30+ which is waaaaaay more than I ever expected. The Netflix Original label doesn't seem to be a high bar, but I remember that Terrace House specifically mentioned getting picked up by Netflix and their involvement at multiple points.

netflix weird

• Locked thread