Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Howdy!

Problem description: I have one of these Gigabyte PCIe network cards. This morning it stopped functioning. In the device manager, on first boot, it gives me an error ("This device cannot start (Code 10). This device does not exist.") I can disable and re-enable the card, which changes the second line to "The requested operation was not successful." Needless to say, while this is the case, I can't use the card to connect to a network.

Attempted fixes: Uninstalled the drivers and manually reinstalled the drivers from Intel and from Gigabyte. Tried automatically searching for drivers in Windows. Reset network configuration from the Windows settings. Rolled back to a prior version of windows 10 using the built in recovery tool. Re-set the card. Tried another PCI slot.

Here's what's interesting - I also tried an entirely new PCIe card, which also failed! It's the ASUS AC55BT, and it threw a similar series of errors. Importantly, though, it has the same underlying chipset - the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260. I'm currently online thanks to a USB wifi adapter, which uses a Realtek chipset.

So while I think I've narrowed the problem, I'm no closer to having fixed it.

Recent changes: Installed a Windows 10 update, but as I said, I rolled back to a prior version. I've no idea if that is actually capable of solving a problem like this.

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64-bit

System specs: Home built machine. I think the only relevant information (besides what's above) is the motherboard - it's an ASUS Z170-AR.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes! Edit: but not well enough to set a thread tag. gently caress!

Boxman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, yesterday morning, I tried to stream a video on the USB adapter since the PCIe one was still broken. No luck.

Then I woke my computer up a few hour later to try the motherboard update thing and the PCIe card was working again. :stare: What the gently caress ever.

Looking at device manager, windows updated to a driver version different than the ones I was trying, so maybe the actual new version was causing issues and they sent out a rollback? :iiam:

But, Zogo, thanks a ton for the suggestions. Ima keep this thread bookmarked so that if something goes haywire again I remember to try those things. :)

• Locked thread