Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

zoux posted:

Dunno about the new theme they're rolling out for the final season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiZJOvjdGBY

He should have done it like his Jack Sparrow parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Eiba posted:

Not to defend Walking Dead, but did you really criticize it as hopelessly, maliciously nihilistic... in the Game of Thrones thread?

This is a story where karma worked precisely in reverse for at least the first half of the story, purely for the sake of shocking the audience.

Daenerys and Jon are pretty idealistic and successful now, but pretty much anyone who acted that way for most of this show's run would be actively shat on by the story.

No comment on if that works or not (I think it's pretty neat sometimes), but it's hardly something that differentiates these two shows.

I feel like Walking Dead is actually a bit more nihilistic than GoT.

Sure, bad things happen but the good guys have eked out some pretty solid wins but nothing good ever happens in the zombie show without eventually being sniffed out.

In GoT hope is dangerous but achievable if you're careful, lucky, or set your sights realistically.

In the walking dead just lol if you're not dead inside.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Those fuckers killing the dragon has genuinely devastated me

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How's that? S1 had an entire episode about characters traveling places.

A raven is sent to Winterfell, arrives next scene. All the lords of the North teleport to Winterfell. Next episode, they all teleport to the Twins and Cat teleports from the Eyrie. Then in the same episode, they all teleport to Riverrun. Meanwhile, Ned spends a couple nights in jail and has a couple conversations with Varys.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Phi230 posted:

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-director-admits-shows-timeline-strain-259742

Game Of Thrones director admits the show’s timeline is “straining plausibility”

lmao right now

I mentioned to my girlfriend after the episode that it souunded like D&D were apologizing in the afterward. Seriously, go back and watch it and tell me they don't have thee same reactions as George Lucas

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Sure, bad things happen but the good guys have eked out some pretty solid wins but nothing good ever happens in the zombie show without eventually being sniffed out.

In GoT hope is dangerous but achievable if you're careful, lucky, or set your sights realistically.

Honestly it feels kind of the same to me. They've been trying to build positive things in the Walking Dead world too, and a lot of the time it failed horribly, but they've gotten to a point where they actually have a bare-bones functioning society, which is a heck of a lot of progress if you look at it as a whole. Consider that all they really need to do is beat the current bad guys and they've got a solid safe functioning multi-settlement society.

Again, no comment on the actual quality. Just the tone. They're kind of remarkably similar in being about being about difficult, incremental, fragile progress in a hostile-as-gently caress world.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Those fuckers killing the dragon has genuinely devastated me

and yet jon lived. smdh

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

I've seen a lot of people talk about nuclear spears and how they're exploding. I thought the spear attack was a pretty awesome visual of what would happen when you puncture a fire breathing dragon. I imagine the insides of a dragon would be like some kind of crazy reactor or something. Boom.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Smugworth posted:

and yet jon lived. smdh

Jon is to blame for his death 100%

Just like Rocky for Apollo's

Maybe it's recency bias, but this season is my legit favorite season so far

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I assumed that's exactly what happened. Or more specifically, the Night King pierced his fire organ.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Supreme Allah posted:

More would say Shakespeare than the bible, guaranteed

assuming it was multiple choice and those were the options

Otherwise they'd go 'um spider man when he went to fight kraven'

But have you heard it in the original Klingon?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GoT is about miserable people who always seem to be on the precipice of being less miserable and then having it cruelly yanked away.

TWD is about people who are miserable and establishes a universe in which they are 100% certain to be miserable until the day they die (horribly), and in which every day humanity survives is going to be worse than the last. You could say they're all... dead men walking.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Sunday I thought the foreshadowing in the last episode of Dany not being able to have a child, and thus surprise! having a child was not subtly hinting that the series would probably end with her on the Iron Throne (or, given that I wouldn't be surprised if she did away with it, its replacement) after Jon died.

Then today I considered the fact that could lead to her dying in childbirth and I went into a near panic mode, almost fully convinced it was going to happen, then calmed down a bit.

I'm really looking forward to the end of the season, both to see what happens (get the feeling it's gonna be goooood), and to detox. I've gotten a bit obsessed (admittedly it's been rather appreciated, theories flowing non-stop in my head has made the day at work go by quickly). I need to chill out, stop freaking out so much about fictional characters, and recall.

That said god damnit I really hope that doesn't happen, it'd be completely against her character for her to die having a baby. More likely, with Jon dead and her sitting the Iron Throne while realizing that it wasn't what she really wanted all along, it'll be hope for her in dark times.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sunday I thought the foreshadowing in the last episode of Dany not being able to have a child, and thus surprise! having a child was not subtly hinting that the series would probably end with her on the Iron Throne (or, given that I wouldn't be surprised if she did away with it, its replacement) after Jon died.

Then today I considered the fact that could lead to her dying in childbirth and I went into a near panic mode, almost fully convinced it was going to happen, then calmed down a bit.

I'm really looking forward to the end of the season, both to see what happens (get the feeling it's gonna be goooood), and to detox. I've gotten a bit obsessed (admittedly it's been rather appreciated, theories flowing non-stop in my head has made the day at work go by quickly). I need to chill out, stop freaking out so much about fictional characters, and recall.

That said god damnit I really hope that doesn't happen, it'd be completely against her character for her to die having a baby. More likely, with Jon dead and her sitting the Iron Throne while realizing that it wasn't what she really wanted all along, it'll be hope for her in dark times.

I've always felt pretty confident that Dany is going to die. It feels like it makes for a legend very in line with most of Westeros' history- "yeah this girl came in with her three dragons and set the kingdom straight and then died of tuberculosis. Very sad, she burned short and burned bright."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Jon is to blame for his death 100%

Just like Rocky for Apollo's

Maybe it's recency bias, but this season is my legit favorite season so far

I completely put this on the hound actually

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If they want a mega-happy ending, it'll be Queen Dany, Prince Consort Jon, and Jon's lover holding a baby.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

cjg posted:

I've seen a lot of people talk about nuclear spears and how they're exploding. I thought the spear attack was a pretty awesome visual of what would happen when you puncture a fire breathing dragon. I imagine the insides of a dragon would be like some kind of crazy reactor or something. Boom.

It's like these people complaining have never read discworld, the internal workings of swamp dragons are clearly explained and magic is the obvious reason the big ones can fly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lycus posted:

If they want a mega-happy ending, it'll be Queen Dany, Prince Consort Jon, and Jon's lover holding a baby.

Missandei could be the secret surrogate mother. Come full circle and have more lies about the parentage of the presumptive heir to the throne. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

General Dog posted:

Missandei could be the secret surrogate mother. Come full circle and have more lies about the parentage of the presumptive heir to the throne. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

:golfclap:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

General Dog posted:

I've always felt pretty confident that Dany is going to die. It feels like it makes for a legend very in line with most of Westeros' history- "yeah this girl came in with her three dragons and set the kingdom straight and then died of tuberculosis. Very sad, she burned short and burned bright."

I'm like 50/50 on her dying. I'm just if she does die (in battle, against the White Walkers), Jon will try and get Melisandre to bring her back, Melisandre will fail, Jon will try and burn the body, stab Dany through the heart when that fails (to keep her from coming back), and she'll resurrect as Lightbringer.

While she's dead Dany will get a chance to stay with Drogo and Rhaego again, but she'll choose to walk away from what she's always wanted (a family) because she's the only one who can help save the world.

She'll think she's lost Jon and be a little suicidal, then someone will point out she's totally pregnant, and hope springs anew for Dany.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

General Dog posted:

"I'm so sorry, Jon. We need an heir. I need you to make some sacifices by having sex with my ultra-hot friend. I can be there too if you like. Just close your eyes and think of Westeros."

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

Does your opinion on episodes change if you've read the books? Like do you judge it more harshly?

I haven't read jack poo poo so i don't have a point of reference so then every episode is just automatically great for me

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Does your opinion on episodes change if you've read the books? Like do you judge it more harshly?

I haven't read jack poo poo so i don't have a point of reference so then every episode is just automatically great for me

Well, this is the best part of the books, so judge each episode against this:

https://youtu.be/QmKhGqWcJGY

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The books only got worse after the first so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
If anyone dies my money's on Jon. He's already dead and Big Poppa R'hollr just bought him some time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think the show is more likely to kill Jon, and the books (if they'd ever been finished) would have been more likely to kill Dany. Rickon would have ended up Lord of Winterfell in the fat man books.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Are you really liking the Arya stuff? Why? The idea to have Gendry run a marathon then send a raven thousands of miles to Dany so she can rescue them doesn't take you out of it? The plan only makes the slightest bit of sense if they already know ahead of time that they're going to be trapped on an ice island for days.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Blazing Ownager posted:

At least we didn't spend the whole season with that long repetitive "We have to kill Cersei" post I made earlier in the thread.

One more person on WD says "We have to kill Negan," gets a plan to do it, gets the means to do it, gets the situation to do it and then doesn't do it and I want to see the writers get baseball bats to the head.

At least they're not trying to bring a zombie to Negan to get him on their side.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I only read the first book and half of the second. The show is doing downhill for me because the vastness of the world that was set up in the early seasons is gone, and the way the characters behave has changed.

I liked that the world was full of political intrigue, and that intrigue was affected by the actual world and system they lived in. Cat Stark hadn't seen her sister in years because of the distance between them. Ned hadn't seen Rob since back in the days when Rob was thin because they live 2000 miles away from each other. The system of government in Westeros allowed for some intense and quick political maneuvers in each individual castle, while a slower game was played out between each individual kingdom. That's gone now. Everyone is playing in the same sandbox, and directly effects each other. This wasn't done by focusing the story in one location though. Instead they did it by shrinking the sandbox.

But the part that I really miss is smart characters. The intelligent reactions from Maester Luwin, Rob, and Catlyn to Sansa's letter that has been brought up recently is a very good example. The characters used to make decisions based upon a combination of their personality and the world they were in, and their actions mixed with and changed the overall story and environmental variables. Now there are 7 main characters who all think it is a smart idea to go capture a zombie. The character's dumb decisions are the driving force of the story now, and the world no longer reacts to them because the only thing needed to move the story along is another dumb decision that can overwrite any environmental variables.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 23, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

As a book reader I'm willing to let a lot of things slide because I'm just incredibly grateful to be getting an ending at all.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I still haven't seen any explanation of wtf Jon was trying to accomplish when he chose to ignore the dragon and instead try to get 2-3 more zombie kills before going home. It felt so out of character for him that I thought I must have been missing something.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

I still haven't seen any explanation of wtf Jon was trying to accomplish when he chose to ignore the dragon and instead try to get 2-3 more zombie kills before going home. It felt so out of character for him that I thought I must have been missing something.

He was only 10xp away from levelling up and needed to grind

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

PantsBandit posted:

Official show runner explanation: to buy them time.

TBH, I don't think that came across.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lycus posted:

Headline news: Nerds place greater importance on nerdthings than most people when it comes to their nerdshow.

The Poochie episode of the Simpsons was 20 years ago and is still pitch perfect about whining nerds

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

The Human Crouton posted:

I only read the first book and half of the second. The show is doing downhill for me because the vastness of the world that was set up in the early seasons is gone, and the way the characters behave has changed.

I liked that the world was full of political intrigue, and that intrigue was affected by the actual world and system they lived in. Cat Stark hadn't seen her sister in years because of the distance between them. Ned hadn't seen Rob since back in the days when Rob was thin because they live 2000 miles away from each other. The system of government in Westeros allowed for some intense and quick political maneuvers in each individual castle, while a slower game was played out between each individual kingdom. That's gone now. Everyone is playing in the same sandbox, and directly effects each other. This wasn't done by focusing the story in one location though. Instead they did it by shrinking the sandbox.

But the part that I really miss is smart characters. The intelligent reactions from Maester Luwin, Rob, and Catlyn to Sansa's letter that has been brought up recently and is a very good example. The characters use to make decisions based upon a combination of their personality and the world they were in, and their actions mixed with and changed the overall story and environmental variables. Now there are 7 main characters who all think it is a smart idea to go capture a zombie. The character's dumb decisions are the driving force of the story now, and the world no longer reacts to them because the only thing needed to move the story along is another dumb decision that can overwrite any environmental variables.

Well said. The show spent seasons setting up its own "rules," if you will, only to ignore them at the climax. It feels cheap. Friendship with GoT ended, now The Expanse is my best friend.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Now The Expanse, that's how you do an adaptation

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

They should have had a white walker advancing, or some poo poo. There were wights all around Drogon and his other sides seemed fine. Just get on the loving dragon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Oh...Yeah that's dumb.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Yes and no. They've left out some content that I thought was cool and was looking forward too, but they've also made a lot of changes for the better.

We're also far past the end of the last released book so there isn't really anything to compare the current episodes to beyond years' worth of fan speculation and theorycrafting on what is going to happen when (lol, "when") the books finish up. Nerds being nerds people get attached to their pet theories over the years, particularly since the source material lends it to a certain subjectivity (unreliable narrators, shifting Point Of View, the idea that "everyone thinks they're the hero") and nerds having partisan rooting interests and factions they want to see win much like the professional football GRRM spends all his time watching instead of actually writing the loving things. This is also a symptom of the books not finishing: no ending means the heroes haven't made their comeback and their triumph over adversity yet; the books mostly then depict that adversity and the villains getting over on them (which has stuck the books, in my opinion, with an overblown reputation for cynicism and being nihilist and "OMG SUBVERTING TROPES ANYONE CAN DIE". It was always meant to reverse course late, and shift tone from low fantasy to high fantasy, and the point of the political intrigue was always going to be that it was a dysfunctional [albeit compelling] distraction from the true existential threat to the far north.)

At this point I definitely don't like stuff more or less based on any sense of orthodoxy. Sure, I wish they'd do more than they do with certain characters (whose book counterparts I really enjoy and have been waiting in vain for a long time to see their engaging story arcs conclude) but I only criticize elements on the show when the writing doesn't hold to their own internal logic.

And I also don't my criticisms get in the way of enjoying cool poo poo that I've been waiting to see (and read) for years, like the zombie dragon and Jon/Dany/Tyrion all coming together.

Plus as many have said, I've wanted to know how this fun little story ends and this show's ending is the only one we're gonna get so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Part of me thought that the dragon would return and save Jon by grabbing him by the nape of his neck like a kitten. This would mark the new normal.

• Locked thread