Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

moolchaba posted:

Literally all the fun was in the first 5 min... talking... and talking... musical guest... talking... talking

Wow the break was so long people forgot what this show is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bananaquiter posted:

Did Sam go all the way to oldtown to find out that dragonstone comes from dragonisland, a fact that Stannis had already dropped on him in a previous season?

He's going to find Gendry

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Barreft posted:

Look at this little douche lol:

Tormund and Brienne's baby got caught in a time warp

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's going to be great when Cersei's comeuppance is that she abdicates the throne after a lengthy negotiation with Dany, et al, and gets to just retire to Casterly Rock

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Filthy Casual posted:

That's way too realistic.

It would be grrm as gently caress

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Constant posted:

Everyones expecting her to have the most horrible end of all time but grrm hates book, tv and movie tropes

She'll definitely retire to casterly rock as a spinster

She'll marry some poor young dumb piece of rear end, and have a couple more fellas on the side

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

lifts cats over head posted:

Paralyzed legs does not guarantee that nothing else works.

IIRC, one of Catelyn's internal monologues in the books states that his dick don't work

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I'm looking forward to the scene where Gendry finally hits land, having lost pretty much all of his muscle and fat to starvation, panting in sheer and utter exhaustion from his months/years of rowing, and then drops dead on the spot. Sorry for the spoilers.

Last episode cold open, leading in to the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpJbL6Pzjo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So were Dorne and Highgarden's armies on the boats that Euron attacked, or were they just on the way to pick them up?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zoux posted:

Pretty sure they were going to pick them up, but Dorne's at least is going to be off the table if their sovereign is being held in King's Landing.

Seems like her legitimacy as ruler would be controversial in Dorne anyway since she's just some prince's ex GF who murdered the rightful royal line and- oh yeah, Dorne is literally like four people, I forgot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Ok if you are going to kill all the army guys why do you start all the food on fire? Also Wtf poor Brone getting ducked again should have ran away with the cash.

In case you don't kill all the army guys

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So I guess Jamie and Bronn are going to be Dany's prisoners now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

I wonder if Cersei would trade Dorne lady and Yara for Jamie.

That's probably a bad trade for Dany unless Elaria still has political clout in Dorne when she gets out, which doesn't seem likely. Realistically someone would have already filled the power vacuum and sided with Cersei or Dany one, but for show purposes I think Dorne is basically just empty at this point. It only had a population of like 8 people to begin with. 8 idiots

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 7, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Lycus posted:

Because Dragonstone has significance for the character, and Stannis's war room looks cool, which is ultimately more important to the showrunners then what one should do in Crusader Kings 2.

Also image is everything

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

"You seem to know a lot, Jon Snow."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

radical meme posted:

Two questions from this episode.

One, did Jon bend the knee? I say he did. That's why Dany ignores her advisors and asks Jon what she should do. They have already formed an inseparable bond and trust each other.

C'mon you know about Jon Snow and girls and caves. He bent both knees, baby.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

TyrantWD posted:

Danerys first instinct is usually to do something bad, and then she gets talked out of it by her advisors. The problem with her attacking the Lannister supply line is not that burning soliders with dragons is bad, but that she is starting to ignore the advisors that have kept her in check so far. If Tyrion slipped, hit his head, and wound up in a coma or dead, what is to stop Danerys from taking all 3 dragons to burn Kings Landing to the ground the next time she receives bad news? She has repeatedly shown that her highest priority is that she rule Westeros, and is willing to do whatever it takes to make that happen. She has become progressively more unhinged over the last few seasons. We are in a showdown between two mad queens, and while Jamie will likely have to take out Cersei, I fully expect Jon or Jorah will be forced to take out Danerys so they can unify Westeros against the Whitewalkers.

Aren't we to understand that she was advised (offscreen) to attack the Lannister supply line, instead of her original impulse of "gently caress it, I'm nuking the Red Keep"?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

zeal posted:

i dunno how to break this to you bud, but 'rapers and pillagers' describes every real-world army that's ever marched

Yeah, but it's extra bad to be raped and pillaged by filthy foreigners. When it's just other Westerosi it feels like it's kind of all in good fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Arya acting stupid and questioning Sansa for no reason than to create conflict with Sansa other than the writers said so.

You really do have to keep an eye on Sansa though, if she's up to some poo poo she's learned from the best.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not really related to tonights events, but Bran ends up going back in time and becoming the Night King somehow, right?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So how long did it take for Gendry to run to the wall, the wall to send a raven to Dany, and Dany fly north? It played like a parody of how everyone's been teleporting all over the place for the past ~10 episodes. Good thing Ed paid extra for an overnight raven.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Theory: Arya killed Littlefinger within an hour of showing up at Winterfell, and all of his scenes have been Arya in disguise, including the ones where he's watching/following Arya.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How do you not even kill Beric this episode? What use could they possibly have remaining for that character?

edit: I guess he's going to confront the Mountain somehow, since he was sure to remind us tonight that that was his original mission

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Aug 21, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

I figure several hours of running. Then what, 2000 miles of raven flight and then dragon flight? Presumably dragons are faster. I'm not sure how much ground a raven can cover in a day but you'd think this entire sequence would have had to take multiple days at the least. Our merry band of heros plus random no names did not think to start a fire to stay warm during this time.

I thought they were going to have to eat poor Thoros

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Obama 2012 posted:

Why didn't they just bring a raven with them?

Or a horse?

It's well established that they're all a bunch of loving idiots

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

The night king kinda looks like bran

Yeah, I noticed that rewatching Hardhome this afternoon. Bran goes back in time, and builds the wall and also becomes the Night King, in some order.

Also, Hardhome was much better than this episode. All of the stupid plot machinations that it took to get us to this episode and to extract us from this episode would have been worth it if it gave us some mind-bogglingly awesome setpiece, but the whole episode was kind of a wet fart. Easily the most forgettable of the "big" episodes, action-wise it doesn't really give us anything we haven't seen done better before.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Martytoof posted:

This whole loving "let's go show a zombie to cersei" plan was so stupid from the get go. What about her personality made people think that she'd immediately suspend hostilities because of a zombie. I mean she already has a zombie and that doesn't seem to phase her much.

And now there's a zombie dragon on the go. Great job everyone.

From a storytelling aspect, it was a strange decision for them to include that scene last week where Cersei tells Jamie she intends to agree to the armistice, rendering the mission pointless in advance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bobo the Red posted:

Jaime *just* went behind her back, she's likely not letting him in on her plans. Or at least, just letting him in on the parts he likes

Well clearly she's cooking something up some sort of betrayal, but the fact remains that she was planning to at least pretend to appease Dany before she ever saw the walker. She's not going to see the Wight and say, "well, I was going to pretend to make peace with a plan to betray you later, but now that I've seen this I understand I need to make peace for real".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Macaluso posted:

If you asked most regular rear end people do you really think anyone would know that quote is specifically from the loving bible and not just a common saying

I think if you asked them specifically where it's from most people would know that (at least where I'm from), though I'll admit it's common enough that I don't instantly think of Daniel whenever I hear it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

How far out of the way would it have been for Jon to stop by Winterfell on his way from Dragonstone to the Wall? Just to make sure everything is alright since he's been gone for months. Where was Tormund before he went to meet Jon at the Wall?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

It would of been like sailing from Miami to NY with a 'quick' detour in Chicago

Fair enough, I guess he probably sailed straight from Dragonstone to Winterfell. Although Ravens are basically like cellphones, or in some cases newspapers at this point, where everyone in the world knows what everyone else in the world is up to in pretty short order, except when the story needs them not to. Like the Citadel finds out about Dany torching the Tarlys in roughly 15 minutes, but Jon apparently hasn't bothered to write his sister in Winterfell to give any updates, despite presumably having an abundance of free time. Seems like it would be useful if she could take a straw poll to see how they'd feel about him bending the knee in exchange for their survival.

Meanwhile Sansa hasn't bothered to send him word that Arya and Bran came back while he was gone (unless I'm forgetting).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

The confrontation between Bronn and Drogon was 100 times more exciting and tense, even though both lived

Thank goodness for good ol' Teflon Bronn.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think if the number of White Walkers had any significance we'd have heard about it by now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think it's believable, inevitable really, that there's going to be tension between Arya and Sansa. The problem is that they've escalated it to the point where Arya is making thinly veiled threats when the stakes are murky/nonexistent. Yes, Sansa enjoys being in charge, but she has no clear means of usurping Jon even if she wanted to. Is Arya afraid that Sansa is going to cause Jon to die while he's gone just through force of will?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Uncle-Niece marriages were pretty common among royalty at one point IRL, maybe Aunt-Nephew wouldn't be that taboo in Westeros?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Human Crouton posted:

Didn't the horde react with some wails when The Hound kicked the captive zombie. Maybe the white walkers are an actual legitimate race and they have sympathy for each other.

What if the real monster... is man

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Kawabata posted:

This is one of the worst episodes I've ever seen of any show in recent memory. I don't watch stuff like Gotham or Arrow though, so there's that.

Who greenlighted this? How do you greenlight something like this.

I think that's hyperbolic, but it certainly wasn't good. To answer your question, they probably felt like they needed a big season-end action episode like usual but there were still too many episodes left for them to have anything siginificant happen now, so they just set up a situation that they could get the characters in and out of as quickly and with as little setup as possible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

I will now fix every dumb thing about the mission in Beyond The Wall:

Search: Cersei
Replace: Citadel

Done. Bringing a walker to the Citadel means the Citadel would officially recognize the threat, sound the alarm, and convince the known world. If Cersei didn't join in then her own people would throw her the gently caress out. Everyone wins but Cersei.

Yeah surely if like 95% of the world's scientists agreed there was a coming threat that had to be addressed the people would take their word over that of a few self-interested rulers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I feel like Walking Dead is actually a bit more nihilistic than GoT.

Sure, bad things happen but the good guys have eked out some pretty solid wins but nothing good ever happens in the zombie show without eventually being sniffed out.

In GoT hope is dangerous but achievable if you're careful, lucky, or set your sights realistically.

In the walking dead just lol if you're not dead inside.

GoT is about miserable people who always seem to be on the precipice of being less miserable and then having it cruelly yanked away.

TWD is about people who are miserable and establishes a universe in which they are 100% certain to be miserable until the day they die (horribly), and in which every day humanity survives is going to be worse than the last. You could say they're all... dead men walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Sky Shadowing posted:

Sunday I thought the foreshadowing in the last episode of Dany not being able to have a child, and thus surprise! having a child was not subtly hinting that the series would probably end with her on the Iron Throne (or, given that I wouldn't be surprised if she did away with it, its replacement) after Jon died.

Then today I considered the fact that could lead to her dying in childbirth and I went into a near panic mode, almost fully convinced it was going to happen, then calmed down a bit.

I'm really looking forward to the end of the season, both to see what happens (get the feeling it's gonna be goooood), and to detox. I've gotten a bit obsessed (admittedly it's been rather appreciated, theories flowing non-stop in my head has made the day at work go by quickly). I need to chill out, stop freaking out so much about fictional characters, and recall.

That said god damnit I really hope that doesn't happen, it'd be completely against her character for her to die having a baby. More likely, with Jon dead and her sitting the Iron Throne while realizing that it wasn't what she really wanted all along, it'll be hope for her in dark times.

I've always felt pretty confident that Dany is going to die. It feels like it makes for a legend very in line with most of Westeros' history- "yeah this girl came in with her three dragons and set the kingdom straight and then died of tuberculosis. Very sad, she burned short and burned bright."

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2017

• Locked thread