Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was that the dagger Joffrey gave the assassin to kill Bran in Sam's book about legends of the Long Night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barreft posted:

Bronn always just seems to disappear when not needed, I figure he's just in brothels and inns loving the whores. Actually would Cersei even let him live after being with Tyrion for so long? I doubt Jaime could convince her not to. Maybe he's just peaced out and creampie-ing every lady he can find in his new castle he got from helping Jaime.

If the fatass actually wrote his story we might actually know these things.

As far as I know, Lena Headley and him still hate each other's guts and refuse to film together so as long as the King's Landing plot remains so heavily focused on her he won't be showing up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Engines are not as honorable as horses.

This is still GRRM's universe and horses have one feature that is not found in any other mode of transportation.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Vegetable posted:

yeah but why berric? and we really haven't seen anything to think the fire goddess has anything in particular against the white walkers

We've seen tons; Melisandre tells Stannis that the true fight is to the north, the white walkers last attacked Westeros during the Long Night that's why the watchers in the wall are The Night's Watch and Melisandre constantly says "The night is dark and full of terrors."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Slowpoke! posted:

I wonder how much of this is HBO capturing some of that stream audience with HBO Now, especially since the videos are supposed to be available right away.

The article has the numbers, Nielson's overnight numbers are 10.1 with another 6 million between Now/Go and DVR.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Obviously, I mean he owned a company that used Chinese gold farmers in World of Warcraft. He literally created money from nothing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The SituAsian posted:

Yeah-unless I'm missing something she and Ellaria are dead.

You are , the two corpses on the bow of the ship were two of the Sand Snakes. The two we saw Euron kill.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

NorgLyle posted:

Varys rules and his scene with Dany was the best part of the episode for me. He's the character I've been rooting for the longest on the show since, like he said, he honestly does seem to be in it for the greater good of the people (though Dany makes a very good point that in the early parts of season one where he's conspiring against Robert to put her brother on the throne he was trying to get Robert off the throne for the awful crime of being a kind of inattentive ruler -- people weren't starving or being slaughtered in five or six simultaneous wars under Robert so...).

No one was dying yet but they would be. Robert had drunk and partied the kingdom into massive debt, even without the wars that followed his death the kingdoms were in bad shape for the coming winter.

Not that Viserys on the throne could change anything about that. I think Varys was just playing the long game and hoping Viserys would swoop in the spring after the winter and conquer an already weakened Westeros.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Lazy motherfucker just didn't walk around on his gout.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

Lotta people say having sex before a fight screws you up, lots of boxers say they go without for a bit before a fight. So probably somewhere along that logical line.

Also it makes them less likely to sneak away, sleep with prostitutes, get disease or have children.

But yeah its pretty stupid.

Yeah, sex lowers your testosterone levels which contributes to lethargy and not getting the full effect from physical training and can cause weight gain. You know what else contributes to lower testosterone? Removing the organs whose primary job is creating it.

The Chinese used eunuchs not as fighters but as pretty much the same role as Varys. The emperors believed if their court advisers didn't have lineages to protect or families to feed they would be less likely to fall to corruption.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'd watch a 5 minute scene of Jaime and Bron just saying 'gently caress'.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Zaphod42 posted:

The only thing left is maybe Ellaria escapes at some point and tries to kill Cersei, probably unsuccessfully. That or we just never see her again.

I figure their might be a future hook with Cersei bluffing about poisoning the daughter, what with Qyburne saying it could take hours, days, weeks to kill her. Meanwhile it only takes about an hour on Bronn and 15 minutes on Myrcella. Ellaria spends a week wondering if every sound her daughter makes is a death gurgle, then just as her guard relaxes Gregor comes in and squashes her head like a grape.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I can't help but wonder.. what kind of poo poo was High Garden when it was actively involved in a war and a long standing noble house, while apparently ALL it's troops weren't deployed with their allies but at their castle which immediately fell over dead?

DId they just, like, not have a real army? Is it still floating around there going "Aw, poo poo, the house is dead we're out"?

A large chunk of the army defected to Cersei's side. During the army march scene you see Tarly riding with Jaime up to the castle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phi230 posted:

In the books Greenseers meld with the Weirwood that they pair with and lose their minds over hundreds/thousands of years

Bran just got aspergers in about 6 months

I just figured him constantly warging in on the undead might have hosed with his head a little.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

GigaPeon posted:

There have been (in the books at least) a few Targaryen civil wars, so it would make some sense if there were anti-dragon artillery plans lying around.

Is it interesting that Dany told Jon that he lost two brothers? Shouldn't it be three, since Bran was assumed dead till just now? Does she have knowledge about his true parents?

No because if she did he wouldn't have lost any brothers, just a couple of uncles.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In the book there's a random gravedigger who is (very strongly) implied to be the Hound, who's finally given up all this killing malarky. He basically ceases to be a character after Brienne "kills" him.

Brianna doesn't kill him, he succumbs to infection after Biter takes a chunk out him. The

But yes, the first half of the Ian McShane episode is basically the last we've seen of Sandor in the books.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

blue squares posted:

I liked the low angle walk and talk with Jon and whoever, briskly walking along that stone walkway

It's something that the episode with that battle at the end and one of my top five moments is Davos correcting Jon on fewer/lesser. Some really on point callbacks this episode.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cyber Dog posted:

So, I thought this fight was dumb as hell at first. I just rewatched, and like it a lot more. You can tell that Arya isn't blocking or catching Brienne's swings--she's parrying them to the side. The only time she blocks one full force, the sword flies out of her hand. I don't know anything about swordfighting, but I know from boxing that parrying can move power punches aside while blocking is more likely to get ya hurt. Same basic principles seem to apply--she uses slips, parries, and head movement to get inside on Brienne's longer reach.

Edit: There's one other time Arya blocks Brienne flush, and that's what throws her off balance enough to get kicked by Brienne. I thought this scene was so silly at first, but aside from Arya's stupid lil' jump it's a nice piece of choreography.

Not just water dancing, you can catch a few quick bits here and there of Arya thrusting for the vital points exactly like the Hound showed her.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Isn't "The Winter is coming" suposed to be the prelude to an Ice age(?) lasting generations? That doesn't mesh too well with a happy ending.

Well not an ice age, just a really long winter. Seasons in GoT aren't tied to the year, the summer that just ended lasted a really long time. The show mentions the last winter of any real length happened when Tyron was a child and wasn't that bad. Old Nan and Mormont mention a winter in their childhood lasting 7-8 years.

Martin based the idea on the "Years without Summer", an event that happened in the late 19th century after the eruption of Krakatoa. There was so much volcanic ash in the atmosphere that Europe was in a state of perpetual winter for 2 years. If you're familiar with The Scream the sickly yellow/orange sky isn't artistic license, that's literally what the sky in Europe looked like for those two years.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It's funny, I liked the episode, and when I think about it everything I liked feels like it was a doofy Dave Hill joke from the last few seasons.

I wonder if Benjen is going to show up and end up being the wight they bring to King's Landing, foreshadowing for the show watchers that the magic keeping the WW on the other side of the wall is gone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Jon Snow Action Squad all meeting up in the cells was pretty hilarious.

Jon: "Hound!"
Gendry: "Berric!"
Jorah: "Thoros!"
Tormund: "Mormont!"
Berric: "Jon!"
Hound: "Berric!"

Also, if Cersei's faking her pregnancy I think she's lying to Qyburn about it too, that's what they're murmuring about when Jaime comes in.

Or she told him to obliquely mention it when they knew Jaime was walking in and in his deranged mind he immediately jumped to "Do you want me to terminate that for you?"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

bloom posted:

Speaking of chrysreviews, I went back to have a look at the first episode and holy poo poo did he nail it right from the start.

e: oh wait I thought that was Rickon. Is this that goon face blindness people keep talking about? :ohdear:

Too photo is Rickon, bottom is Bran.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

HBO is really bad about leaks. Apparently the whole plot of this season got leaked, two weeks ago ep leaked, this leaked, and like two seasons ago like four eps culminating in Selmy's death leaked.

Considering this past episode got higher ratings than any other GoT episode I don't think they're going to be that worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's hosed up. He obviously uses a scooter so can tell time and distance just fine :colbert:

It was already established that his preferred mode of transportation is horses. No point riding in a vehicle that doesn't have a dick.

• Locked thread