Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Senor Dog posted:

littlefinger told cat that he gave it to tyrion (who then was implied to have given it to the assassin) but joffrey said later it was his and he ordered it.

bookJoffrey.

showJoffrey never admitted or hinted at having any part in Bran's assassination attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sydin posted:

We talked about it in the spoiler thread when the episode initially leaked, but I'd like to re-iterate that the scene of the dragonfire scorched hellscape combined with Tyrion watching the Dothraki run down stragglers as the dude next to him is all "lol you guys suck at this :smugdog:" casts Tyrion's failed strategies in the last three episodes in a much better light. Dany made a big speech about how she was different and how she was going to break the wheel etc etc, but when the chips were down she resorted to the same wanton violence that every other monarch in the show has indulged in for the past six seasons.

The Dothraki rear end was a loving hypocrite. "Your people can't fight". Says the guy who comes from the ENTIRE nation that surrendered when Kelly C treacherously killed their leaders and didn't burn in the process.

And that was BEFORE they found out she had dragons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I would assume Sansa filled him in on anything he didn't hear, since he knew about their time together too. So he knows that he took winterfell and killed the one dude and while he didn't burn the stark boys he did force them to go on the run, ultimately resulting in Rickon's death.

Rickon died because he commited the worst crime a kid actor can commit on a TV show which is growing too fast.

Little poo poo did it on purpose probably.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ozmunkeh posted:

I hope tactical dragon flight school is the thing this thread obsesses about for the next seven days.

I hope Ed Shereen survived :ohdear:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lycus posted:

Tinfoil: Davos slept with a Naathi woman in his smuggler days and Missandei is his daughter.

Oh god. It's this. It's definitely this.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Cornflakes posted:

this is the first (only?) good asoiaf identity theory i've read in a long time

It's not good, it's the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

-Blackadder- posted:

I kinda feel like Dany is being judged harsher than nearly every other major authority figure on the show. If you compare her to the other major leaders such as the kings in the War of the Five Kings, only Rob comes out looking better. It seems like people are doing that historical revisionism thing where they apply strict 21st century western values to someone who lived in a vastly different time and place.

?

Renly did nothing wrong :colbert: Renly's whole character is the best counterargument to Varys' claim that he is doing poo poo for the good of the people.

Lycus posted:

Why didn't Walder insist on a wedding during S2/ACoK? After the war seems unnecessary and bad for ensuring heirs before the king dies in battle.

I don't know the answers to the first 2 questions, but for this it was mostly cause Catelyn stalled him during the arrangement by going "Yes....after you help us win the war". Of course if Walder had pushed the point Catelyn would probably had had to yield cause they really needed that bridge for Robb's strategy. It was a ruse and Walder fell for it.

And in the eventuality Robb did die, marriage oaths are hereditary (Catelyn was engaged to Brandon Stark but after he died she was promised to Ned), so either Bran or Rickon would have done.

Hell, the Iron Born taking over Winterfell and allegedly killing Bran and Rickon might have also affected Walder's decision to betray the Starks since he no longer had a back up King to marry one of his daughters into should Robb bite it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lycus posted:

Is he a huge dude on Black Sails, or is it the armor?

A bit from both

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Lycus posted:

Bronn's character is "is awesome and can do everything in battle".

But I'm sure that scene would be much better if it was an extra.

Zwabu posted:

Why was Bronn asked to man the Scorpion?

You'd think if you'd gone through the effort to design and construct big fuckoff dragon killing ballistas that your survival and the success of your war effort depends upon, that you might train a special crew of dudes to operate it, you know, practice shooting stationary targets, then kites, skeet targets, birds in flight, that sort of thing.

The criteria for Scorpion operation seems to be "you have two hands, and are also good at things. Why don't you have a go?"

Finally Theon's Chekhov's skill will pay off when he shoots a spear at Euron mid teleport sequence.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

PantsBandit posted:

I may be looking at the earlier seasons through rose-tinted glasses but I feel like in the last couple the dialogue has relied on a lot more snappy one-liners. Tyrion has always been that way, but I feel like now it happens with everyone, Arya, Jon, Davos, Jaime. It's a few minutes of mostly needless dialogue with a few things thrown in that are supposed to make the viewer go "oh no he didn't!" or "huh, I never thought about it that way!"

I think this is the best way to describe it yeah. In early seasons conversations where just that, conversations. They were meant to further the character and not to move the plot. Some were introspective, some were informative giving some background to understand why x characters operated in y way. HELL, even though a lot of people hated the derailment of Catelyn's book characterization on Jon Snow, I think it added a lot to the tragedy of her character and made her more human than just "scorned grumpy wife".

They didn't even have to be long conversations, either. You had Shireen teaching Davos how to read. It was short and to the point, but the way the characters interacted really sold the idea "Pirate likes nice kid".

Now conversations are just Event Trigger flags and come in 3 flavors:

- the "As You Know" conversation in which the character just drops an info dump on events or other characters
- the "One up" conversation in which each party is trying to have the last word over the other.
- the Bran Talk

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 9, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm curious what everyone's favorite dialogue scenes are from the show and also what you think about how the show's writing has changed over the years?

This one is one of my favorites just by the way it's shot and delivered. RIP Old Nan. Still waiting on those pale spiders doe.

Also this one

Oh, and this deleted scene from s3 which I can believe they removed. Sure Pycelle wasn't a main character but it was nice to learn that he was perphaps the only guy on the small council that didn't strive to reach even higher from where he was.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 9, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qxsCCd9jjA

This is pure gold

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Bored at work decided to do some calcs to decide which the best season is based on IMDB's user ratings. :science:

quote:

S1: 9.09
S2: 8.98
S3: 9.03
S4: 9.32
S5: 8.85
S6: 9.09
Season 4 had the best average at 9.32.
Season 5 was the lowest at 8.85
Interestingly, Season 6 ties with Season 1 for 2nd best season at 9.09.

Now, if you don't take into account the season's lowest rated episode,

quote:

S1: 9.13
S2: 9.02
S3: 9.08
S4: 9.45
S5: 8.94
S6: 9.26
S6 pulls ahead at 9.26 vs S1 9.13. S4 was still way ahead at 9.45. S5 still at the bottom with 8.94

On the other hand, if you don't take into account the season's top rated episode

quote:

S1: 9.03
S2: 8.90
S3: 8.93
S4: 9.06
S5: 8.73
S6: 8.89
S6 falls greatly behind, averaging even lower than S2 and S3. Season 4 still on top at 9.06. S5 at the bottom with 8.73

So from this I take that:

Season 4 was the undisputed best season
Season 1 was the most balanced season
Season 6 was an average season with a couple of really good episodes
Season 5 was bad and there's no way around it

:science:Another "fun" fact: 8.8 is the rating that the most episodes got with a total of 12 episodes.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Cornflakes posted:

but it would have been so unironically good if they made it after the books were all finished (lol)

They would have saved a lot of money on CGI had they waited because by then we would have genetically bred actual dragons.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Jon and Daenerys will defeat the White Walkers and divide Westeros into two kingdoms: south and north.

Cue timeskip and the series ends with the first scene of Confederate.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Mister Perky posted:

Yep. Bunch of the deaths up to this point are going to feel this way retroactively, too.

Yeah a bummer we will never get to see if Meryn Trant was into little zombie girls. Imagine how much he could have smack them

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Neon Belly posted:

So far the reanimated Mountain has been a big bunch of nothing :(

The Reanimated Mountain can sense when someone is dissing Queen Cersei and immediately teleport to it's vicinity and dunk him.

As soon as Dany says Cersei is a bitch, it will be all over for her.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kevyn posted:

Arya's not dumb.

"gently caress YOU DARK BROTHERHOOD!"
*casually strolls around in broad daylight completely weaponless*

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Constant posted:

I had forgotten about this but in season 1 Alliser Thorne actually traveled to Kings Landing with the animated hand of the dead guy that attacked Jeor Mormont in Castle Black but it had wasted away by the time they got there

Its quite possible that the dead dont do very well in warmer climes or even with distance from the Night King and his magic

Pretty sure this is books only. Alliser travels to KL's with the zombie hand but Tyrion was the Hand at that point and isn't fond of him after the time he spent at the Wall so he goes "sure, imma fix you an audience for 2 days after I give a gently caress" so Alliser ends up waiting till the hand rots.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

teagone posted:

She attacked the Lannister army because they raided the stronghold of one of her allies and pillaged their gold/food stores. She executed prisoners of war after they refused to surrender to her.

You do realise that for all purposes and intents Dany IS an INVADER who is demanding everyone to bend the knee and give her the throne cause it's HER RIGHT or be burned otherwise?

Daenerys is exactly on the opposite side of the "Are you the Hero?" scale.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kevyn posted:

I never understood how that hand was supposed to prove the existence of white walkers. I mean, it wasn't alive, running around like Thing from the Addams Family, right? It was just a dead severed hand that could have come from anybody.

It was until it rotted away.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

A ship would be a much safer option if the storms haven't gotten too bad. You can have a mobile supply base and line of retreat.

This reminds me last time they took a ship from Eastwatch to Hardhome they apparently decided to ditch that ship on the wrong side of the Wall and walk all the way back to Castle Black for that dramatic scene with Ser Alliser :lol:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Also remember last season when everyone was sperging about the Sand Snakes varysporting into Trystane's (this guy) ship or Varys varysporting from Mereen to Sunspear and back to Daenerys' ship?

Those were some amateur varysporting compared to this season.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's what it says on the tin, but here's the full story.

To be frank, I always thought the printer joke was referencing how the only way he could ever get some action time with Kelly C would be if he printed a life sized cardboard copy of her. So thanks for the clarification.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also Missandei is going to betray Dany, as she still has to suffer her third treason, for love. Last week I would have predicted that Tyrion was going to free Jaime to commit said treason but with Jaime free that leaves only Missandei, or maybe Jorah realizing Jon is swooping in on his waifu and deciding to smash his head in with the metaphorical printer.

The 3 betrayals prophecie is BookOnly since Daenerys didn't share a single scene with Q'aithe during her lone appearance in season 2, and Qarth fell of the map afterwards.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm totally ok with people fast travelling from location to location and hinting that very little time has elapsed at all.

It makes the North incessant whining about how Papa Jon abandoned them even more hilarious. It's been like a day you guys.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's bizarre that they're introducing Strong Belwas so late into the story, but I'm glad they did.

This was just plain rude. Don't play with people's feelings :(

Vintersorg posted:

GoT at its worst is still better than the majority of TV shows out there.

:agreed:

GoT in it's entirety so far has been good at both of it's different eras.

S1-S4 Book Era was good because it had interesting plots, complex characters and unexpected tropes subversions
S5-S7 Post Book Era the producers progressively realized that they can't write non schlock fanservice so instead of forcing it they just embraced the schlockiness and sandwhiched it inbetween the breads of cool FX and epic huge battles and it worked.

People who think the PostBook Era GoT is bad because it's not like it's Book Era just have letting go and moving on issues.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 19, 2017

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I never thought I could want for a fiction child's death more than Joffrey.

Then Potato Boy came along.

I never thought I could want for a fiction child's death more than Potato Boy.

Then S7 Arya came along.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
loving stop wanting for the Arya Durden thing and just take all her scenes at face value already.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

a foolish pianist posted:

hahahaha

I just got bit by a dead bear.

SPOILERS

No, Thoros does not come back as an undead Werebear. He forgot to install the Dragonborn expansion.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

RentACop posted:

Show worse without fatman books

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

twistedmentat posted:

I know why my friend said this episode was heartbreaking. Which dragon bit it? It was the green one right?

The one named after her douche brother, Vyserion.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

It's really cool that Jon Snow straight up killed his uncle because he was too lazy to step on a dang dragon.

Ok, you can blame the dragon death on Jon, but Benjen died because he wanted to.

"Get on the horse!"

"Come with me!"

"There is no time to explain. GO!"

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So the dragon this time was smart enough to avoid an ice javelin thrown from behind by an aryan superman, but flew straight into the bolt bronn was shooting while looking at it dead in the eye

It's like the Walking Dead Episodic series game

"Drogon remembered that" :downs:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

:golfclap:

The editing of this is of the perfect quality to match the quality of this episode

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ymgve posted:

The trade was more 1 dragon for 1 zombie that might convince Cersei, and 1 completely convinced Dany. But yeah, the whole plan was badly executed and there was not one, but two Deus Ex Machina in the very same episode.

Yeah Cersei's moral support is really worth having.

The show can jump around all the moral hoops and loops they want, but Dany straight up flying to the Red Keep and hot toasting everyone in there is both the smartest and most humanitarian plan out of all the bullshit she and Tyrion have been pulling.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Or they could have just, you know, show the omniscient child keeping tabs on Jon's party incursion and be the one to send a raven when they gently caress up.

But I'm also ok with Gendry being the fastest runner in Westeros aside from the most durable rower.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Speaking of giants...or ice spiders...or wight bears...

like wtf..where were they during the lake fight part?

also can a wight bear swim or does becoming undead give you a natural elemental weakness to water aside from fire and holy?

GoT Undead need a buff

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Night King moves as fast as the bad writing allows him to move.

The map is good but has one crucial mistake.

Jon returned from Hardhome and parked his ships on the WRONG side of the Wall :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

latinotwink1997 posted:

Just because you have walking dead doesn't mean the show has to be as lovely as Walking Dead...

I liked Daenerys' "I had to see it to believe it" logic totally mirroring the farm people's "they are still human...oh i nearly died to them, yep, that be zombies" logic

• Locked thread