Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
ryan_woody
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Problem description: My windows key stopped working two days ago for the shortcuts I normally use it for (lock, show desktop, etc).

Attempted fixes: I downloaded a keyboard re-mapper and tried re-mapping it and reversing the change, to no effect. In the shortcut creator, it shows the CTRL key registering when I press the windows key.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem? I started using a new mouse a few days ago, but believe the problem pre-dates the mouse installation. I can't be sure of that, though. I noticed I had three keyboard input devices installed in Device Manager. Uninstalled two of them, to no effect.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 (home x64).

System specs: Home-built system, i7-4790k, GTX 980 Ti, ASROCK|H97M PRO4 LGA 1150 R, EVGA|550W 220-GS-0550-V1 PSU, and a Samsung Seagate Backup 1TB drive, 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs. The keyboard in question is a POSEIDON Z Illuminated Keyboard - BLUE Switch.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

edit: gently caress, as soon as I tried some additional query strings in Google I found the answer. There's a hardware "disable windows key" button that must have gotten accidentally pressed. I legitimately had no idea that button was there.

Disregard the thread.

ryan_woody fucked around with this message at Jul 16, 2017 around 23:46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread