Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

So I guess Zack was the real hero all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Master should have taught more of his vampires how to use guns.

He shouldn't have used all of his time teaching every single vampire how to wear jackets.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

with zach finally dead the human race can begin to rebuild civilization

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

rip zach he never got laid

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shitenshi posted:

Why the gently caress did Eph bother to physically attack the Master, a creature who is still able to stand and talk after having both his throat ripped out and being shot up like a piece of swiss cheese? Just activate the nuke already while he's busy loving with your son, because you know with super badass Quinlan gone, there's no way either of you are getting the gently caress out of here alive.

Yeah, I mean I know why they did it from a storytelling perspective, so they could have the last scene together, but it was dumb from a practical perspective.

Is it just me or did this completely invalidate the lumen? I mean, it originally gave us 'nuke it' but the professor's last moments were talking about how it wouldn't work and how there was another way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There was supposed to be a whole religious dimension to the story, without it the Lumen is indeed a total red herring.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

There was supposed to be a whole religious dimension to the story, without it the Lumen is indeed a total red herring.

For some reason they completely dismissed the idea of trying to trap the Master in the silver coffin again, when it would have worked to begin with had Zach not been a little poo poo. Then again, I guess they figured the Master would have been expecting something like that anyway.

I did like how Setrakian quoted the Lumen to talk about how the Ancients could speak in a voice that could not be heard or something, and Eph was all, "That's bullshit," until Master Palmer's neck vagina in this episode did exactly that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

steinrokkan posted:

Here's what wikipeda has for the last book where the stories differ.

quote:

Following his friend Abraham Setrakian's death, Fet struggles to decipher the Occido Lumen, a tome possibly holding the key to defeating the Master. He is aided by Mr. Quinlan, the vengeful half-vampire who was first created when the Master infected his then-pregnant, human mother.

Flashbacks to biblical times reveal the vampire race's origins: the seven Ancients, including the Master, arose from Ozryel. Ozryel was an archangel of death, one of the three angels that God sent to destroy the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah for their wickedness. Ozryel was overcome with bloodlust while the cities were destroyed. God punished him by having the other archangels cut his body into seven pieces and scattering them across the Earth. Over time, Ozryel's blood leaked from the burial sites and became sentient, thus spawning the Ancient Ones. The Master was spawned last, from Ozryel's throat, and so was referred to as "the Young One" by the other Ancients.

Goodweather finally deciphers the Occido Lumen and determines that the Master originated on one of the Thousand Islands in Lake Ontario. The survivors detonate a nuclear weapon on the island. Goodweather, Zach, and Mr. Quinlan are killed, but the Master's strain is permanently eradicated. In the aftermath of the explosion, Nora and Vasily witness Ozryel, presumably purified, reunited with Gabriel and Michael, who have come to return him to Heaven. This was possible because Mr. Quinlan brought the other Ancients' ashes with him, following instructions he read in the Lumen. All the vampires disintegrate, and the surviving humans rebuild society. Nora and Vasiliy move to Vermont, where they have two children: a boy named Ephraim after Goodweather and a girl named Mariela after Nora's mother.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The book ending is better but no less dumb.

It was a satisfying conclusion I guess. I won't miss the show so much as I will miss Eichorst vs Setrakian.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
David Bradley was really good for the first 3 seasons and then he phoned it in like in GOT.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Shitenshi posted:

Why the gently caress did Eph bother to physically attack the Master, a creature who is still able to stand and talk after having both his throat ripped out and being shot up like a piece of swiss cheese? Just activate the nuke already while he's busy loving with your son, because you know with super badass Quinlan gone, there's no way either of you are getting the gently caress out of here alive.

There was no good reason. They just wanted to drag out the scene and have a final father/son bonding thing. To be honest, there was no reason Quinlan couldn't have vampire speeded to the bomb and just flicked the switch either.

MiddleOne posted:

I haven't felt this free since the end of Under the Dome.

Haha, I dodged that bullet even being a sucker for anything vaguely scifi.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Here's what wikipeda has for the last book where the stories differ.

Yeah, it was kind of weird how the Lumen scenes on the show took some parts of it but Setrakian interpreting them a completely different way. Like the nuke stuff in the books was that you had to nuke the specific spots in the world where the angel parts were buried to kill an ancient, which was the whole "face of God" thing as well as the part about removing the limbs.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

That was a cheesy as gently caress, rushed ending but whatever, I enjoyed the show and I can see myself watching it again sometime.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Would've been cool to get a little montage of all the former cast members who got all wormy before the end, but I'm just glad Zack's finally dead.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

ruddiger posted:

Would've been cool to get a little montage of all the former cast members who got all wormy before the end, but I'm just glad Zack's finally dead.

The Strain: Season 4 - Zack's finally dead

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

The Strain: Season 4 - Zack's finally dead

Don't ruin the joyful news for those who haven't seen it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I came across this show last week and have been marathoning the first couple seasons. The CGI and makeup for The Master is hilariously awful and it seems as though they're doubling down on the hilariously 80s-looking "glowing red eyes" effect.

Also I lost my poo poo entirely when I realized that, at the finale of season 1, everybody piled back into the same lovely box truck full of stale hot dog buns - which has to be one of the most unsafe vehicles you could possibly choose during a zombie/vampire apocalypse, on top of totally not being made for a group of people to ride around in.. Budgetary reasons, maybe?

And despite not having even got 3 episodes into season 2 yet, I'm already pleased to hear that Zach will die. He got both fat AND annoying in the "only a few days" which seem to have passed since the finale of season 1.

TheAbortionator posted:

Eichhorst was ideologically never really for team humanity.

I think it was season 1 where he gives his whole "The master is everything team Hitler was supposed to be" speech and planted his flag firmly for genocide. (that or he just realllllly doesnt like Jews and Setrakian by extension)
FYI, this happened in Season 2, episode 2, when he's trynig to recruit the Nazi doctor with the antiques shop. There were no speeches about the master being the new hitler until they revealed the origins of the cane sword (and explained why it wasn't 5 feet long since it had been "made for a giant").

muscles like this! posted:

In season 3 they reveal that the first two seasons took place over a really short period of time. By season 3 the infection was known widely known about and now in this season it has become public knowledge.
This is pretty obvious, because Eichhorst still has a visible wound (which is even mentioned by Palmer when he's feeling ballsy) from being shot in the face, at the beginning of season 2, they're still driving around a bread truck full of bread which hasn't gone moldy yet, and because Kelly hasn't even lost her hair yet - which seemingly happens for almost all vampires (except the big goth singer dude) within 48 hours or so.

The son obviously spent a long summer eating Twinkies, though.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 20, 2017

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ruddiger posted:

Only if Journey's "Open Arms" were blasted over top of that montage while Fet and Dutch slowdance with single tears rolling down their cheeks.

Also I would like to nominate Fet's beard in the finale for some kind of costuming award.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

And despite not having even got 3 episodes into season 2 yet, I'm already pleased to hear that Zach will die. He got both fat AND annoying in the "only a few days" which seem to have passed since the finale of season 1.

Oh, you have no idea what horrors await you.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anyone have a gif or remember which episode it is that has them escaping from the gas station? There's a quick gag with Fett that might be the high point of the show IMO.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

NmareBfly posted:

Anyone have a gif or remember which episode it is that has them escaping from the gas station? There's a quick gag with Fett that might be the high point of the show IMO.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Remembering this, I was gonna make a gif of a couple seconds of the fight scene with the Ancients when they get off their asses to kick some asses but seeing it again it doesn't impress me as much. cool head ripping tho

quinlan is p cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRHc3v4tSsk

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Oh wow, season 2 has been pretty awful. I haven't seen Zach in like 3 or 4 episodes though so that's a plus.

One weird trope that this show has in scads to me, is the "the cast are apparently the only people on the planet", because it's kind of bizarre how the dude who was buying boosted cars and haggling and insulting someone over a couple hundred bucks - is also apparently a capo-level kingpin who has millions of dollars on hand, and can literally acquire anything from a handful of uzis, to a nuclear warhead, to a magical tome of mystery power. It's kind of jarring how no matter how things escalate, this one dude is so goddamn hard that he's just an underworld kingpin who nobody fucks with, ever. Except for the boxer guy! He's got amazing plot armor, I love him!

The "Goodweather infects the vampires with a man made plague," subplot was pretty funny when it all led to an utter wet fart and was forgotten immediately.

Currently I'm up to the flashbacks of Eichhorst the Radio Salesman (nearing finale of season 2), his failed attempt at leading a normal life because he's a bigoted loser, and some really line-pushing vampire-cunnilingus-rape stuff for an FX show. I'm sort of glad that this season is almost over for me, with Eichhorst being both the highlight and the worst at the same time in the same episode. :psyduck:

When did Martinez get a haircut? Or was "cutting my hair to be a badass", just a part of being the gang now?

Boxer dude continues to be the underdog star of the show, I could watch a whole show about his escapades tbh, just running around being real, dealing with day to day bullshit of people who aren't a world class hacker, or a CDC doctor, or a crazy pest exterminator cum philosopher (who reminds me strongly of Artyom from the Metro 2033 novels).
I remember this and I remember it clearly being a gag, it didn't really strike me as particularly special or funny. So he's buying premium on someone else's card? v:shobon:v

People rememebr different things with different priorities, I guess.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2017

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

coyo7e posted:

cum philosopher

Name change please. tia

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm really surprised they tried to redeem Zack at the end. That did not work at all and it would have been much more satisfying for Eph to blow the nuke. Ah well.

I'll miss this stupid show.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

el oso posted:

I'm really surprised they tried to redeem Zack at the end. That did not work at all and it would have been much more satisfying for Eph to blow the nuke. Ah well.

I'll miss this stupid show.
I would have been surprised if they hadn't and it was utterly limp that they copped out into the unearned forced cliche

Won't miss this retarded lovely show, because it's impressive they accomplished what they set out to do with a conclusive 4 season run

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 22, 2017

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm about halfway through Season 3 now, it's better than Season 2..

Will Eichhorst's hand grow back? If it does, that would mean that the Nazi doctor might conceivably come back, which would be cool I liked his cowardly rear end. Losing the hand was such a weird thing to happen out of nowhere that I can't see them going Jamie Lannister over it.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Vishass posted:

Anyway,can't wait for Zach's redemption arc

I was kidding but at least he died how he lived: setting off nuclear weapons to get back at a father figure

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

coyo7e posted:

I'm about halfway through Season 3 now, it's better than Season 2..

Will Eichhorst's hand grow back? If it does, that would mean that the Nazi doctor might conceivably come back, which would be cool I liked his cowardly rear end. Losing the hand was such a weird thing to happen out of nowhere that I can't see them going Jamie Lannister over it.

They heal good but can't grow back big parts. This is true even of The Master and why he has to body jump.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Zach is the worst but let us not forget the true horror of season one, Nora's mother.

YOUNG BOY

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.instagram.com/p/8NumGeGAdm/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo, did Zach just kill more people than Hitler? :psypop:

The actor playing Palmer clearly had a really good time being The Master though, his facial contortions were really something.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

coyo7e posted:

I never even thought of it that way, but poo poo man. That about settles it. New thread title over here.

quote:

The actor playing Palmer clearly had a really good time being The Master though, his facial contortions were really something.

Wait till you see him in Season 4 with full on vampire makeup.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That'll do as an ending. I will miss these guys:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Same. It was cheesy at times but a good show with memorable characters. Eichorst vs Setrakian was always cool--from beginning to end they were very great characters with fantastic stories and interactions.

coyo7e posted:

Yeah. He's playing a bit older than he really is when in the old age makeup for Palmer. I'll be on the lookout for his Phillip Drummond looking face in future shows.

Also Fet, he was a goddamn cool character too.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
Yeah, say what you want but this show went from gothic horror mystery to zombie vampire outbreak to apocalyptic war to post-apocalyptic survival in four seasons. It is a very controlled show run, and I never stopped liking it unlike... that other ... tv show... about a group in a post-apocalyptic environment...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I miss this show already. It was a lot better than people in this thread give it credit for.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was pretty bummed there was no episode last night.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Metrilenkki posted:

Yeah, say what you want but this show went from gothic horror mystery to zombie vampire outbreak to apocalyptic war to post-apocalyptic survival in four seasons. It is a very controlled show run, and I never stopped liking it unlike... that other ... tv show... about a group in a post-apocalyptic environment...

It was pretty much exactly what the books did, and I gotta give del Toro credit for sticking the landing. I read the books between each season, and when I heard that the last one took place on Vampire Earth after the fall of mankind and the show was still Our Heroes running around semi-normal NYC, I didn't think he'd be able to take the show there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Metrilenkki posted:

Heh, that is true. Other thing I just realized is that the characters acted as you expected them to and didn't do any stupid "character development" 180s out of nowhere into being obnoxious except for Zach, and he's a dumbass kid who was surrounded by assholes and vampires who got exactly what he deserved in the end.

• Locked thread