Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've listened to every Linkin Park album besides the newest (which I'm still waiting on in my spotify queue) and all of them have at least a song or two that I really like. Today sucks.

Here's one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFiNlLt8sJw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

massive spider posted:

Nah man. Linkin Parks sound was based around their use of synthy hip hop drums and effects in metal. plus the stripped down guitar that typifies that era (no bends, no solos, no fuzz just a wall of dry tight mesa boogie power chords). Chester screams, but it's usually an even, controlled melodic yell, rather than a punk rock yowl or what have you. Songs are all verse chorus pop format, not many extended instrumentals or jams. Also there's the deliberate attempt to invoke a sense of artificiality through the insertion of audio "glitch" effects and the like.

Linkin Park sound very, very polished.

I agree with this. When A Thousand Suns came out I was obsessed with the entirety of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZyDiuzpHCg

The chorus is all screaming, but it didn't feel like he was screaming for the sake of screaming. His screaming has a melody and rhythm to it that fits perfectly as a chorus as opposed to feeling completely raw and unhinged like a lot of the other popular screaming songs at the time. It's controlled screaming.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

This is what I'm talking about. As long and as drawn out as that last scream is, its clearly a note that harmonizes with the rest of the music, and instead of just ending the scream he even pitch shifts down to another note that fits the song well.