Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sir Lemming posted:

Legit their second best album. I actually don't even own Hybrid Theory due to some combination of me being "too cool" for it when it came out, and just never really feeling like I needed to get it because of all the radio play. But Reanimation blew me away. The best remix album of all time by a long shot. (Hell, it even had dubstep before dubstep was cool -- see "A Place For My Head".) It felt more like an "album" than almost anything else they've done.

The exception of course being A Thousand Suns. Anyone who hasn't listened to that, do it now. It's their artistic peak and showed that they really had a hell of a lot of creative juice in them. Even their worst stuff is really well-produced and has a lot of attention to detail and the way things sound -- but this is the album where it all comes together into something that is really, without qualifiers, great music.

yoooooo A Thousand Suns is so phenomenal. It's easily the album of theirs that best uses what they're good at (two vocalists, Chester's voice, a rock sound with clear hip-hop influence, no bullshit attempts at trying for radio, goofy sci-fi vibe) and is almost painfully sincere, and works as both an anti-war message and a very personal look at suicidal depression (which reaches its climax with Waiting for the End, probably the best song LP ever did).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLYiIBCN9ec

This song (Iridescent) is especially hard to listen to today. It sounds like a message from someone who made it through the other side to those who are still fighting; I suppose the moral of the story is that you never really make it all the way through, you just learn to deal as best you can (until you can't).

quote:

You were standing in the wake of devastation
You were waiting on the edge of the unknown
With the cataclysm raining down
Inside's crying save me now
You were there impossibly alone

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
You build up hope but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go
Let it go

And in a burst of light that blinded every angel
As if the sky had blown the heavens into stone
You felt the gravity of tempered grace
Falling into empty space
No one there to catch in their arms

Do you feel cold and lost in desperation
You build up hope but failure's all you've known
Remember all the sadness and frustration
And let it go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Add me to the list hit hard by Chester's suicide. I've been listening to the new album and honestly I really like it. I know that's the unpopular sentiment. But goddamn listening to it today sure puts the lyrics in a whole different context. A lot of stuff in there that seems like a cry for help. Even with LP's usual style of lyrics.

I love every album of theirs except for the Hunting Party and the one with Steve Aoki and it's made me sadder than I thought to think that they're likely done now.

Maybe we'll see the return of Fort Minor? I didn't mind their first album, and I think Shinoda is a hugely talented producer.

Hell, I think he should score more movies too. He did the score for the American release of The Raid, I think he could do some cool stuff. Get him on that Pacific Rim sequel or something, make it sound appropriately futuristic.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

The 20th anniversary edition of Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory was released today.

1) Holy poo poo, this album is 20 years old?! I remember listening to it when it first came out. Jesus, I feel old.

2) I still remember all the words. This is one of the few albums I can sing all the words to.

3) It's 6 discs?! 4 and a half hours long, wow. It includes all of Reanimation (which is excellent), the Hybrid Theory EP, a bunch of live tracks and demos, both old and unreleased.

Hybrid Theory was one of the two first rock albums I bought for myself (No Doubt’s Rock Steady was the other) so yeah this definitely makes me feel old even though I got it a solid year after it’s release.

Also yeah Reanimation slaps, I think I listened to it more than both HT and Meteora and it is almost certainly a key component to my love of hip-hop today

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I listened to Reanimation way more than HT proper, it felt like the only album that had the balance of hip-hop to rock that I really wanted out of LP and also had Hi Voltage and My December which my copy of Hybrid Theory didn’t have. It’s probably my second favorite album of theirs after A Thousand Suns

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A Thousand Suns is no joke one of my favorite albums and probably the pinnacle of what LP could do as a band. It’s ambitious and utilizes all their disparate interests equally and feels like a complete narrative that touches on their all common themes in a way that fits them all together. I think it showcases the dual vocalists so perfectly and Waiting for the End (which is the centerpiece of the album and basically about a suicide attempt in action) in particular is a heartbreaker, even more so since Chester passed.

edit: it took me years to listen to ATS because Minutes to Midnight was really disappointing in the way it really sidelined a lot of the hip-hop sounds, between that album and Fort Minor becoming a thing I just assumed that they were evolving away from my tastes, and the singles that got big in the years following kind of reinforced that for me but the first time I listened to ATS I was blown away, it feels like the album they as a band were meant to make. They earned the right to make bad sell-out music just like U2 did, and if the world were less cruel they’d still be doing it today. that said Mike should still gently caress off with the NFT/crypto poo poo

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 2, 2023