Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

wait if dadrock is now stuff like deftones and slipknot then what do you call CSNY and fleetwood mac?

aarpcore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The turn-of-the-millenium nu-metal craze and its sudden implosion is also fascinating as a trend. To be sure, trends change so it was inevitable, but one contributing factor I've heard is post-9/11 radio censorship in the U.S., which pushed a lot of DJs into swapping the nu-metal out for more uplifting stuff, which is what brought us Creed and Nickelback (their breakthrough album being released, coincidentally, on Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2001). And while nu-metal was still popular, the DJs were tired of hearing it anyways so it was an opportunity to dump the genre into the bin. By the mid-2000s it was dead and then the record stores collapsed. Linkin Park was probably the most successful nu-metal band of that era to transition through the crash.

nah creed and nickelback were already mega popular before 9/11

the old spooky kid 80s goth pop-influenced nu-metal of the mid to late 90s was already on the way out after limp bizkit got huge, but the wise decision of bands like godsmack and three doors down to go full rah rah jingosim kept the rest of that stuff alive a few years longer than it would have otherwise

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

He could've been in a boy band if he wanted to.

speaking of that was the rumor when they first started that they were put together by their label like a boy band

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like he stepped on a lego

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
for a time linkin park replaced limp bizkit as the representative for everything formulaic and laughable about nu-metal

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think contrived is the word people are looking for instead of polished

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i didn't mean to invite a comparison between the two but i will say in limp bizkit's defense apart from fred durst they actually were legit talented musicians

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
filk and contemporary christian are worse but red state radio rock is definitely up there

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
is this the most nu-metal video ever made? i think it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJzeJiHHQOY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, "Contemporary Christian" basically means "whatever was popular 5 years ago" so it's pretty nebulous.

nah it's a more specific thing than what you're thinking of, stuff like hillsong and michael w smith

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

and what I think Corey Taylor calls the new wave of American heavy metal (Slipknot, Disturbed, Godsmack, etc).

new wave of american heavy metal was stuff like lamb of god/shadows fall/killswitch engage/trivium/etc.

il_cornuto posted:

I'd consider all of those rock bands, not post grunge at all. I've always heard it used to describe bands like Nickelback, Creed and 3 Doors Down - poppy anthemic hard rock I guess.

I think your singer has to sound like a lovely Eddie Vedder to really be post grunge.

yeah pretty much. post-grunge is all the yarling bands foisted on the public starting in the mid-90s once the labels settled on a formula

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 12, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I hate having to do this and I am sorry to everyone but it's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYTwIZslZXo

ooh that's definitely a contender. gonna have to bring out a deep cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsl-TodL5sI

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i saw devildriver opening for gwar a decade or so back and they were surprisingly quiet

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Earwicker posted:

Metallica's live shows these days are not incredible, at least from videos I've seen. James was never a "good" singer but what he had used to work, now it doesn't. and Lars has gotten worse. they sound like they don't rehearse.

they've been streaming their pre-show warmups lately and sometimes they're basically a jukebox and other times they sound like a bunch of nervous kids doing metallica covers at their 8th grade talent show

e: there was a pretty funny one where eddie money randomly wanders in the room and tells old man stories

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if it sounds like at least 50% of the band's wardrobe consists of affliction tees, it's post-grunge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
tub ring are the quasi-officially approved bungle knockoff (trey spruance from mr bungle produced their first album)

there's also estradasphere, who used a lot of balkan/west asian folk elements similar to soad