Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wait if dadrock is now stuff like deftones and slipknot then what do you call CSNY and fleetwood mac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deftones are still doing well

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

financially racist posted:

the last debatably nu metal record deftones recorded was white pony so i dunno that they count as a nu metal band that survived. even their nu metal days sound pretty markedly different from the bands that followed them. chino was always a much better singer and abe a much much better drummer than the artists that came to typify the genre, and they moved pretty deliberately away from nu metal specifically to not be lumped in with the garbagemen who aped deftones (and fnm's angel dust). i can't imagine someone listening to koi no yokan and then listening to like, papa roach and saying 'yeah this is basically the same genre'.

well yeah, genre is largely bullshit and of course they are better musicians than most of those bands, but public perception wise they were considered part of that scene

but there are definitely still people who would listen to Koi No Yokan and then Papa Roach and be unable to distinguish between them, and lump them into the same sound, such as many people from the previous actual Dad Rock (CSNY and Fleetwood Mac) generation

also post grunge is just the worst music. nu metal was so cheesy that i always found it hard to hate even if i never liked it. post grunge though, that poo poo is just the worst and it seems like it's all modern rock stations play (well, that and actual grunge since they're so tapped for anything worth putting on the air that they have to play alice in chains and nirvana on their ostensibly 'modern' stations).

I mean, you're talking about radio. 90's bands is about as recent as you can get while still having a sizable audience that listens to any kind of radio at all, and even that is pushing it.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at Jul 21, 2017 around 13:37

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I like the Deftones cover of Cocteau Twins Wax and Wane

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as mentioned, white pony was where they really departed from nu metal and solidified that move away from the genre with the s/t album. they were very important in forming the genre however.

I felt like their self titled was a step back. maybe not necessarily in terms of genre but more in terms of the songwriting was just really weak. I still listen to their old albums but always skip that one

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Metallica's live shows these days are not incredible, at least from videos I've seen. James was never a "good" singer but what he had used to work, now it doesn't. and Lars has gotten worse. they sound like they don't rehearse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ofecks posted:

What exactly is "post-grunge"?

Foo Fighters