Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Speaking of, whatever happened with that Chino/Bad Brains project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I was sitting in my cube at work yesterday and all of a sudden my brain was like

REMEMBER
JIMMIE'S
CHICKEN
SHACK

and I was like oh yeah bro lol. So I brought up some of the songs from their album Pushing the Salmanilla Envelope and it was even worse than I remember. One of the songs was rap rock. Also they are one of the most 90s bands I can remember - in one of the videos the drummer had a bleached blonde buzz cut and the singer had white guy dreads.

:kiss:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Also State of Love and Trust is good but I prefer Breath if we're talking Pearl Jam tracks from the Singles soundtrack. One of my favorite Pearl Jam songs overall in fact.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Madkal posted:

Every single Deftones cover is worth it. Every. Single. One.

The No Ordinary Love cover is the one everyone talks about (and rightly so) but my personal favorite is The Chauffer even if they missed a whole verse. I need to listen to that B sides album again, I always forget it exists.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In addition to the recently released Ohms, Deftones are rereleasing White Pony with a remix LP called Black Stallion. Supposed to be before the end of the year. I'm excited to hear what Black Stallion sounds like, and I hope the White Pony rerelease includes The Boy's Republic which is one of my favorite Deftones songs. Previously it was only available on the versions of White Pony with the red and black covers.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Yeah I saw that, looking forward to the remix album. Unfortunate that The Boy's Republic isn't on it, but I wasn't really expecting it to be.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In Deftones related news, Stephen has been doing play alongs of a bunch of songs on their YouTube channel for the past while. He's been playing a lot of underrated stuff, and has recently dipped into some b-sides and other rarities like songs they did for soundtracks.

https://youtube.com/c/deftones

Also Crosses, one of Chino's side projects, released a single recently that is a cover of "Goodbye Horses" by Q Lazzarus. Does this mean a new set of music is coming? Either way I don't really like this and I prefer the original song. A rare miss by Chino imo.

https://youtu.be/H1xN8Rtvbkc

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Stabbing Westward released a new LP recently after putting out some new material via singles/EPs. Overall I think its pretty good although I do have some issues with it. The album version of Crawl is good, but I think the version from the Dead and Gone EP is much better. They also put out a song I liked called Killing Moon from the Hallowed Hymns EP which somewhat curiously didn't make it onto the new album. Also, the song Control Z has laughably bad lyrics. On the whole I think it is worth at least one listen by fans of their albums from the mid to late 90s or industrial-tinged alt-rock in general.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0xUiYomjFBfg1qbOuSn37E?si=-wv-SefVS7CFa3SkeS0AIQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Ofecks posted:

Deftones ST was a "maybe", there's some cool stuff in there but it's not as accessibly-structured as AtF or White Pony. I should listen to Saturday Night Wrist again, I already have that one.

Deftones is an interesting album for me because, at the time, I didn't like it because it wasn't White Pony 2. Looking back, they (rightly) did not do that and made something very different. It has since become one of my favorite albums of theirs.

Saturday Night Wrist is also one of my favorites but I get the impression that Deftones fans in general don't like it very much.

Check out Koi No Yokan, which in my opinion was the last truly stellar album they've done.