Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mu Zeta posted:

That's a lot of food for $6. I think the SPAM alone is like $4. It's also over 1,000 calories before eggs and cheese.

Do it.

Secret menu, bro. Just keep an extra big skillet visible and if someone asks what omelette that's for you tell them "fifteen bucks and you find out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh, what kind of door is this? Are they putting it through structural support, plumbing and AC, running power and lighting to it, attaching alarms, a pneumatic ADA entry system, and plating it in silver? Doors, even exterior commercial doors, are not all that expensive.

Its a regular door in what used to be a wall leading to the outside of the building. It's big its metal its nice. Something about fire safety stuff in California. Maybe the guy who told me was full of doo doo.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for all the omelet suggestions!

I was going to go for the Bloody Mary idea, but THEN my boss told me (after I'd been brainstorming, and asking all y'all for ideas :argh:) "we need to use up that ricotta in the walk-in", so, change of plans. So I went with this recipe totally cribbed from Bon Appetit, with some modifications to suit what we had laying around:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ricotta-omelets

Anyways, I did a test run today during my downtime, and holy shitsnacks, it's a dang fine omelette. I made the mistake of asking BOH and FOH if they wanted to try a bite before I took a pic of one, so photo evidence will have to come later. They fuckin' inhaled that poo poo; I only got one bite myself, then they were gone. A++ would make again (and will be, from 6 to 11 am all week).

But again, thank you all for your ideas I can use in future weeks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Honestly any mess of cooked up delicious stuff is good in an omelette

-philly cheese steak
-lasagna ingredients with no pasta
-sausage and peppers
-jalapeno and cream cheese
-smoked salmon and dill
-roasted squash and sage (bechamel?)
-provolone and eggplant

If it tastes good by itself it will probably taste good wrapped in fluffy egg, the only thing I have hated in an omelette is blue cheese.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Fig, prosciutto, roasted garlic, arugula, and brie make a wonderful omelette. A little heavy, though...

E: whoops, meant to post this in the other thread you were posting in

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Restaurants: simultaneously operating on razor thin profit margins and very profitable.

Ah! I see you are familiar with the Occam's Overhead principle.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Soooo I'm beginning to enjoy the restaurant I've started at and it's really not as stressful as I was expecting it to be. It's a Spanish Tapas place and tbh I've never done this kind if food before but their recipes and such have been easy to follow. There's one problem. They want me to contribute to the weekly specials and I feel I'm not all that creative with food to be honest so I'm drawing a blank. Apparently it doesn't have to be Spanish as we've had things like whitebait and haddock goujons on as specials, it just has to be tapas size.

So uhh throw me some ideas friends. Samphire season had technically ended but there's still loads of it when I went foraging so I was thinking of doing something with that, but it's not really that known or popular so idk if it'd be worth trying.

Edit: oh and my chopped off bit of finger is healing really nicely, phew. Been a bit more careful now and going at my own pace.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The important thing, I think, is that you try to contribute. Sure, you’re new, and maybe don’t feel as creative, but you’ll never get good at it if you don’t try. Chances are they won’t use your first or second or tenth idea or whatever, but you’re still contributing.

I’m not at all saying don’t ask for ideas. I’m just saying don’t worry about it if you get stumped or if they don’t use your ideas. Your half idea might complete somebody else’s half idea. Plus just the act of thinking through plating, prepping, costing, etc will help you understand all of those things with regards to current menu items.

All that said, I don’t have any ideas, sorry, I’m a bartender

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
What is the reason for the special? Are you going for low cost, high volume, is this supposed to invite new customers, or is it a treat for the regulars? Any more, the first thing I think about is the price point, and how many you want to sell.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
chicken livers -> pate -> on toast points all day long. throw a duck liver in there and call it 'duck liver pate' or foie if you can get away with it. some marmalade or a sherry/tomato compote or something. or just toast bread and rub raw garlic and salt and olive oil on it. spanish cooking is easy peezy

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my fav tapas dish is hongos a la plancha, just poach/sousvide an egg, grill some mushrooms, done. $10-15 plate, depending on the quality of what you're putting out

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You could do something simple like cheese, jalapeños and bacon and it would still be delicious. Your coworkers will be tasting your food and giving you advice as well so just make what you think will taste good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Olive toast. Confit an olive blend with garlic cloves, lemon and orange peel, thyme, oregano, dried chiles, whatever. Serve 6-8oz with grilled bread, preferably a nice ciabatta or focaccia. Sell for $8-12. Sell a "large" 10oz portion with extra bread for $16. Laugh your way to the bank.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I loooooove small plates, like, if I won the lottery, I would open a restaurant that does nothing but tapas/small plates/hors d'ouvres/amuse bouche.

First thing that springs to mind is rumaki, probably because I've been craving it. If your customers are all "eww, chicken livers!" like a previous boyfriend I had, shrimp rumaki is a nice sub. But I've never seen a restaurant offer rumaki, at least outside of pictures of 70's menus. Chic livers are cheap as dirt, so if it doesn't sell well, eh, a lesson learned.

I can post more suggestions when I'm not so tired and drunk and have to be in at 5am tomorrow.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Fig, prosciutto, roasted garlic, arugula, and brie make a wonderful omelette. A little heavy, though...

E: whoops, meant to post this in the other thread you were posting in

No worries, I cross posted in both threads. We actually did a fig-based special a few weeks ago, because our biscuit maker has two fig trees that are dropping fruit like mad. Boss made fig butter (think apple butter, but with figs) and we put it in an omelette with cream cheese. Dank af.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I loooooove small plates, like, if I won the lottery, I would open a restaurant that does nothing but tapas/small plates/hors d'ouvres/amuse bouche.

First thing that springs to mind is rumaki, probably because I've been craving it. If your customers are all "eww, chicken livers!" like a previous boyfriend I had, shrimp rumaki is a nice sub. But I've never seen a restaurant offer rumaki, at least outside of pictures of 70's menus. Chic livers are cheap as dirt, so if it doesn't sell well, eh, a lesson learned.

I can post more suggestions when I'm not so tired and drunk and have to be in at 5am tomorrow.

No worries, I cross posted in both threads. We actually did a fig-based special a few weeks ago, because our biscuit maker has two fig trees that are dropping fruit like mad. Boss made fig butter (think apple butter, but with figs) and we put it in an omelette with cream cheese. Dank af.

Use the fig butter in banana bread, imo. My neighbor has a fig tree that's getting ready to fruit and I can't wait to fight off grackles for them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Onion bhaji. It's just fried battered onions. You just need some chickpea flour and you can take a shortcut and use a premade garam masala mix. Onions are cheap and people love fried stuff.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

Onion bhaji. It's just fried battered onions. You just need some chickpea flour and you can take a shortcut and use a premade garam masala mix. Onions are cheap and people love fried stuff.

yeah, that's really not a bad suggestion.

when I was a kid I'd always get the 'vegetable tempura' from my favorite sushi place. it was like $6, and in retrospect, just a heap of matchsticked sweet potatoes, onions, and zucchini, all tossed in some batter and fried. like it came out as one cohesive chunk of battered vegetable, kinda like a bahji. I feel like you could refine that slightly and sell it pretty easily for like 10% food cost.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

yeah, that's really not a bad suggestion.

when I was a kid I'd always get the 'vegetable tempura' from my favorite sushi place. it was like $6, and in retrospect, just a heap of matchsticked sweet potatoes, onions, and zucchini, all tossed in some batter and fried. like it came out as one cohesive chunk of battered vegetable, kinda like a bahji. I feel like you could refine that slightly and sell it pretty easily for like 10% food cost.

Bhaji is on my rotation of Thursday night 'appetizer platter' specials, and I'm a loving soul food place. But it doesn't even matter what else is on the platter, throw some "Cajun-style onion bhaji" on that poo poo and I sell a dozen of them, no problem.

Eat all of my cheap fried vegetables, you stupid idiots.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Do shishito peppers because, as a consumer, I will always order shishito peppers.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Currently working the worst kitchen job I've ever had. It's one of the first jobs in a while where everything I make is pre-cooked reheated stuff in some way. The kitchen crew is very Pennsyltuckey and lovely (You're not related to me and I haven't known you for several years? I won't even acknowledge you when you say hi or something). No music in the kitchen ever except for like half an hour during opening when people pull out their phones and put music on speaker at the same time. My managers are nice but massively overworked and seem to think I'm some kind of savant that I can be ahead of anybody no matter what I do. Freakouts and tantrums start when people have more than two tickets hanging (it's always super busy with tons of orders so figure that out). My second day, someone refused to train me so I stood around trying to find odd-jobs to pick up, and when they were forced to, they refused to even acknowledge me or teach me some stuff. I dread every shift I have there.

One of the most weirdly offensive things though is that nobody is funny. That's actually really new to me. Most cooks can get me to laugh but the only humor in this place is all ten year in-jokes that are repeated ad-nauseum all day long (another Pennsyltuckey thing). I'm not claiming I'm the funniest man alive (I'm much more different than my obnoxious serious-posting essays I dump here in the forums), but it's so weird to me when I say something to get a giggle out of somebody (like saying a kitchen-style "heard" after someone goes on a long rant about their day) and they start laughing uncontrollably then go around to different people to repeat some random off-the-cuff thing I said because it's apparently the real first new piece of humor since Obama was elected. I have been there for three weeks trying to get a word out of someone, and only got my first conversation when I found another guy who hated the place and we talked about the new Spider-Man PS4 game and eventually the comics. I then found out the whole kitchen hated that guy for some reason (again, I think Pennsyltuckey Reasons).

One day a week though I'll work in the sister restaurant that's more upscale and it's more of what I'm used to. People talking and having a good time with constant good music playing. Lots of scratch cooking (even on the line) Helpful managers and co-workers who actually encourage and answer questions. Half of them are superfans of my old food truck and fought over scraps when I brought in some of the truck's old food they hadn't had in years. The sous is currently begging the management of the whole thing to have me over there full-time. I just don't know if I can even stomach another week at the main place, though.

I'm now remembering I never finished that effortpost on a lovely restaurant opening I did. Uh, I guess post the best general kitchen music you've heard? I never seem to hear any complaints when someone plays Cake or Violent Femmes. Someone really got me into Run the Jewels recently and that is really easy to work to.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 24, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

El-P's dick does have a Michelin star

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Plan Z posted:

Currently working the worst kitchen job I've ever had. It's one of the first jobs in a while where everything I make is pre-cooked reheated stuff in some way. The kitchen crew is very Pennsyltuckey and lovely (You're not related to me and I haven't known you for several years? I won't even acknowledge you when you say hi or something). No music in the kitchen ever except for like half an hour during opening when people pull out their phones and put music on speaker at the same time. My managers are nice but massively overworked and seem to think I'm some kind of savant that I can be ahead of anybody no matter what I do. Freakouts and tantrums start when people have more than two tickets hanging (it's always super busy with tons of orders so figure that out). My second day, someone refused to train me so I stood around trying to find odd-jobs to pick up, and when they were forced to, they refused to even acknowledge me or teach me some stuff. I dread every shift I have there.

One of the most weirdly offensive things though is that nobody is funny. That's actually really new to me. Most cooks can get me to laugh but the only humor in this place is all ten year in-jokes that are repeated ad-nauseum all day long (another Pennsyltuckey thing). I'm not claiming I'm the funniest man alive (I'm much more different than my obnoxious serious-posting essays I dump here in the forums), but it's so weird to me when I say something to get a giggle out of somebody (like saying a kitchen-style "heard" after someone goes on a long rant about their day) and they start laughing uncontrollably then go around to different people to repeat some random off-the-cuff thing I said because it's apparently the real first new piece of humor since Obama was elected. I have been there for three weeks trying to get a word out of someone, and only got my first conversation when I found another guy who hated the place and we talked about the new Spider-Man PS4 game and eventually the comics. I then found out the whole kitchen hated that guy for some reason (again, I think Pennsyltuckey Reasons).

One day a week though I'll work in the sister restaurant that's more upscale and it's more of what I'm used to. People talking and having a good time with constant good music playing. Lots of scratch cooking (even on the line) Helpful managers and co-workers who actually encourage and answer questions. Half of them are superfans of my old food truck and fought over scraps when I brought in some of the truck's old food they hadn't had in years. The sous is currently begging the management of the whole thing to have me over there full-time. I just don't know if I can even stomach another week at the main place, though.

I'm now remembering I never finished that effortpost on a lovely restaurant opening I did. Uh, I guess post the best general kitchen music you've heard? I never seem to hear any complaints when someone plays Cake or Violent Femmes. Someone really got me into Run the Jewels recently and that is really easy to work to.

The Travelling Wilburys never got me any complaints, but then my kitchen crew were mostly stoners. I do all my prep to Dropkick Murphys, though. High energy.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
if ppl ask me to play tunes i just pull up a youtube playlist of random tricot tunes

i am rarely asked to play tunes

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Motherfucking City to City by Gerry Rafferty. We usually listen to Too $hort radio or 2 live, but thats not for the general public.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Motherfucking City to City by Gerry Rafferty. We usually listen to Too $hort radio or 2 live, but thats not for the general public.

One place I managed, we let one of the servers do the playlists for the floor because he was a big music guy. Generally worked out really well, except one particular lunch shift he's dealing with a table, the song changes and he takes off in a dead sprint to the office to change it. Apparently he set the wrong playlist that day and gently caress The Police was about to start. Oops.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shooting Blanks posted:

One place I managed, we let one of the servers do the playlists for the floor because he was a big music guy. Generally worked out really well, except one particular lunch shift he's dealing with a table, the song changes and he takes off in a dead sprint to the office to change it. Apparently he set the wrong playlist that day and gently caress The Police was about to start. Oops.

What was the problem?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My big ones are they need to have a pronounced rhythm and give me a good idea of how much time is passing. I don't like long, droning or repetitive songs.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I use pandora, so I occasionally get new music. When working, it was always to either a ska/punk/rock/alternative/90s (Bosstones, Dropkick, Offspring, Lucky Boys Confusion, The Urge, Rise Against, Social D, Shaman's Harvest, Third Eye Blind,) station, or my "gangsta poo poo" (Dre, Tech N9ne, TI, Busta, Chamillionaire, Ludacris, Childish Gambino, Kendrick) station. Gotta have the high energy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Pandora made me an "inspired by Harley Poe" playlist and it's pretty awesome for when I want people to leave me alone in the kitchen. You can see the look when they start listening to the lyrics and slowly fade out of the room

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Only the most narco banda in my place.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
No music in our kitchens. I kinda miss it, but I really hated having to shout over the radio, and not everyone wants to listen to Tejano at 6am, and not everyone loves speed metal as much as I do, plus we do tastings in the banquet kitchen, etc.

I dunno, I feel like a quiet kitchen is a much more professional and productive environment.

Just broke 2.5mil in banquet food revenue for this month, still have a 250 plated dinner at $128 per tomorrow night, and a 750 plated lunch Fri at $68. Oct 1-3 is 1.2mil in food sales, and 27k covers between all meal periods. And we all just got 10% raises, so spirits are high, and almost everyone is still getting 2 days off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I think it's a scale issue. When I was working solo I used the music as a timer. A song's ~4 minutes, so how often they changed gave me a rough idea what time of night it was without having to look at the clock instead of what I was working on.

With something the size of a banquet kitchen or a full brigade setup, it would be awkward.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I don't get a choice in what gets played in my workplaces. The dive bar basically always has country on until the evening, but you can't usually hear it underneath the hood vents anyway, so it's not as big of a deal. There's a touchtunes that we sometime get free credits for from the vending company for, and occasionally if I can see we're going to get slammed for dinner all at once and I have enough saved up, I'll put on a set of stuff like Edgar Winter's 'Frankenstein,' Yes's 'Roundabout,' Blue Oyster Cult's 'Godzilla,' Jack White's 'Corporation' et cetera, just because it seems to fit the pace of the flow during a solid rush there relatively well. Also, anything more aggressive gets a bunch of complaints or just gets pre-emptively skipped, so I don't waste my time.

My Sunday buffet gig has built-in audio in the kitchen with some internet or satellite music service. I don't know how or where it is controlled from, but the shift lead always puts on the worst garbage and most of the kitchen enjoys it. People who enjoy Gucci Gang unironically and are okay with hearing the same lovely Cardi B song almost hourly baffle me, but most of the line there are strung out 24/7 too, and I think they just want something they can stumble around and flip tongs to so they can think they're cool.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 26, 2018

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

not everyone wants to listen to Tejano at 6am, and not everyone loves speed metal as much as I do,

When I doing dishwashing I basically had free reign over the music (surprised I didn't get fired for some of the stuff I played), but I think it's very important to switch up the genre of music every hour or so. Have an hour of metal, followed by Scatman John then some Eminem, and ect... Because I agreee not everybody is going to want endless hours of the same poo poo. So I played a wide range of poo poo and rarely did anybody complain about what I was listening to because they knew it would change to something else.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I also forgot to mention that my sous got a complaint because a hotel guest heard Pantera through the floor while he was setting up for brunch... Hard to keep it metal when you're 65 and can't hear poo poo

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd play poo poo like Lonely Island, Lords of Acid, Steel Panther and it turns out the customer bathrooms could hear everything. :monocle:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No music in our kitchens. I kinda miss it, but I really hated having to shout over the radio, and not everyone wants to listen to Tejano at 6am, and not everyone loves speed metal as much as I do, plus we do tastings in the banquet kitchen, etc.

I dunno, I feel like a quiet kitchen is a much more professional and productive environment.

Just broke 2.5mil in banquet food revenue for this month, still have a 250 plated dinner at $128 per tomorrow night, and a 750 plated lunch Fri at $68. Oct 1-3 is 1.2mil in food sales, and 27k covers between all meal periods. And we all just got 10% raises, so spirits are high, and almost everyone is still getting 2 days off.

Yeah, it depends on situation. Can't hear calls on the line with music blasting sometimes, so I get it there.

I walked out of the job. I'd never walked out before but I was miserable, and I had two job offers before I even got home.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i will say tho that sleep's "dopesmoker" is far and away the best album to play for prep time

it's like an hour long and the tempo never changes and the vocals are hilarious

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Had a sous chef at a place I worked at that played the most god-awful EDM. The worst part of it was a lot of his collection was "remixes" of the same song.
I'd ask didn't we just hear this song? His reply was always "nah bro it's a remix"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One of our dishwashers used to listen to some internet-grade poo poo, I'm talking like Steven Universe theme done in chiptune type of stuff. We kind of held our tongue to be nice until he started playing it every night. Up until then, I embraced the temporary relief when it would play a Carpenter Brut's Hang 'Em All song from Samurai Jack.