Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«100 »
Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mu Zeta posted:

That's a lot of food for $6. I think the SPAM alone is like $4. It's also over 1,000 calories before eggs and cheese.

Do it.

Secret menu, bro. Just keep an extra big skillet visible and if someone asks what omelette that's for you tell them "fifteen bucks and you find out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh, what kind of door is this? Are they putting it through structural support, plumbing and AC, running power and lighting to it, attaching alarms, a pneumatic ADA entry system, and plating it in silver? Doors, even exterior commercial doors, are not all that expensive.

Its a regular door in what used to be a wall leading to the outside of the building. It's big its metal its nice. Something about fire safety stuff in California. Maybe the guy who told me was full of doo doo.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a horrible name for anything really but especially a shirt.

Thanks for all the omelet suggestions!

I was going to go for the Bloody Mary idea, but THEN my boss told me (after I'd been brainstorming, and asking all y'all for ideas ) "we need to use up that ricotta in the walk-in", so, change of plans. So I went with this recipe totally cribbed from Bon Appetit, with some modifications to suit what we had laying around:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ricotta-omelets

Anyways, I did a test run today during my downtime, and holy shitsnacks, it's a dang fine omelette. I made the mistake of asking BOH and FOH if they wanted to try a bite before I took a pic of one, so photo evidence will have to come later. They fuckin' inhaled that poo poo; I only got one bite myself, then they were gone. A++ would make again (and will be, from 6 to 11 am all week).

But again, thank you all for your ideas I can use in future weeks!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GBS sucks but this avatar is pretty great.

Honestly any mess of cooked up delicious stuff is good in an omelette

-philly cheese steak
-lasagna ingredients with no pasta
-sausage and peppers
-jalapeno and cream cheese
-smoked salmon and dill
-roasted squash and sage (bechamel?)
-provolone and eggplant

If it tastes good by itself it will probably taste good wrapped in fluffy egg, the only thing I have hated in an omelette is blue cheese.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Fig, prosciutto, roasted garlic, arugula, and brie make a wonderful omelette. A little heavy, though...

E: whoops, meant to post this in the other thread you were posting in

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

The Real Stephen Hawking posted:

I am not afraid of death, but I am in no hurry to die.

Stephen Hawking will return after these brief messages.

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Restaurants: simultaneously operating on razor thin profit margins and very profitable.

Ah! I see you are familiar with the Occam's Overhead principle.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

kvte

Soooo I'm beginning to enjoy the restaurant I've started at and it's really not as stressful as I was expecting it to be. It's a Spanish Tapas place and tbh I've never done this kind if food before but their recipes and such have been easy to follow. There's one problem. They want me to contribute to the weekly specials and I feel I'm not all that creative with food to be honest so I'm drawing a blank. Apparently it doesn't have to be Spanish as we've had things like whitebait and haddock goujons on as specials, it just has to be tapas size.

So uhh throw me some ideas friends. Samphire season had technically ended but there's still loads of it when I went foraging so I was thinking of doing something with that, but it's not really that known or popular so idk if it'd be worth trying.

Edit: oh and my chopped off bit of finger is healing really nicely, phew. Been a bit more careful now and going at my own pace.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The important thing, I think, is that you try to contribute. Sure, youíre new, and maybe donít feel as creative, but youíll never get good at it if you donít try. Chances are they wonít use your first or second or tenth idea or whatever, but youíre still contributing.

Iím not at all saying donít ask for ideas. Iím just saying donít worry about it if you get stumped or if they donít use your ideas. Your half idea might complete somebody elseís half idea. Plus just the act of thinking through plating, prepping, costing, etc will help you understand all of those things with regards to current menu items.

All that said, I donít have any ideas, sorry, Iím a bartender

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

What is the reason for the special? Are you going for low cost, high volume, is this supposed to invite new customers, or is it a treat for the regulars? Any more, the first thing I think about is the price point, and how many you want to sell.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

chicken livers -> pate -> on toast points all day long. throw a duck liver in there and call it 'duck liver pate' or foie if you can get away with it. some marmalade or a sherry/tomato compote or something. or just toast bread and rub raw garlic and salt and olive oil on it. spanish cooking is easy peezy

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

my fav tapas dish is hongos a la plancha, just poach/sousvide an egg, grill some mushrooms, done. $10-15 plate, depending on the quality of what you're putting out

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/xhkDqVS.jpg

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

You could do something simple like cheese, jalapeños and bacon and it would still be delicious. Your coworkers will be tasting your food and giving you advice as well so just make what you think will taste good.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Olive toast. Confit an olive blend with garlic cloves, lemon and orange peel, thyme, oregano, dried chiles, whatever. Serve 6-8oz with grilled bread, preferably a nice ciabatta or focaccia. Sell for $8-12. Sell a "large" 10oz portion with extra bread for $16. Laugh your way to the bank.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

It's a horrible name for anything really but especially a shirt.

I loooooove small plates, like, if I won the lottery, I would open a restaurant that does nothing but tapas/small plates/hors d'ouvres/amuse bouche.

First thing that springs to mind is rumaki, probably because I've been craving it. If your customers are all "eww, chicken livers!" like a previous boyfriend I had, shrimp rumaki is a nice sub. But I've never seen a restaurant offer rumaki, at least outside of pictures of 70's menus. Chic livers are cheap as dirt, so if it doesn't sell well, eh, a lesson learned.

I can post more suggestions when I'm not so tired and drunk and have to be in at 5am tomorrow.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Fig, prosciutto, roasted garlic, arugula, and brie make a wonderful omelette. A little heavy, though...

E: whoops, meant to post this in the other thread you were posting in

No worries, I cross posted in both threads. We actually did a fig-based special a few weeks ago, because our biscuit maker has two fig trees that are dropping fruit like mad. Boss made fig butter (think apple butter, but with figs) and we put it in an omelette with cream cheese. Dank af.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/xhkDqVS.jpg

Goons are trash and a putrid forum culture is the reason why nobody new registers. At best you're 30+ year old failed twitter "comedians" and tolerate this pig because he has the same normie sports hobby as you do.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I loooooove small plates, like, if I won the lottery, I would open a restaurant that does nothing but tapas/small plates/hors d'ouvres/amuse bouche.

First thing that springs to mind is rumaki, probably because I've been craving it. If your customers are all "eww, chicken livers!" like a previous boyfriend I had, shrimp rumaki is a nice sub. But I've never seen a restaurant offer rumaki, at least outside of pictures of 70's menus. Chic livers are cheap as dirt, so if it doesn't sell well, eh, a lesson learned.

I can post more suggestions when I'm not so tired and drunk and have to be in at 5am tomorrow.

No worries, I cross posted in both threads. We actually did a fig-based special a few weeks ago, because our biscuit maker has two fig trees that are dropping fruit like mad. Boss made fig butter (think apple butter, but with figs) and we put it in an omelette with cream cheese. Dank af.

Use the fig butter in banana bread, imo. My neighbor has a fig tree that's getting ready to fruit and I can't wait to fight off grackles for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grimey Drawer

Onion bhaji. It's just fried battered onions. You just need some chickpea flour and you can take a shortcut and use a premade garam masala mix. Onions are cheap and people love fried stuff.

«100 »