Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«115 »
GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

this is why whenever a server tells me something that should be painfully obvious about a dish i just smile and nod. they have to cover their bases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Any suggestions on how to keep beans, rice, gravey, and cheese on a hot line? My beans and rice dry out, the gravey starts to seperate and the condensation waters it down, and the cheese crust on the side. Ive been told to put the stuff in a plastic bag then my 6 pan. No space for a rice cooker etc, has to go on this line spot.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Are they directly in a hot well, or are you using a sorta 'double-boiler-with-six-pans' method?

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Fill well with water, put 6 pans and those cross bars in.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

ApolloSuna posted:

Ive been told to put the stuff in a plastic bag then my 6 pan.

The way my work solves this is to fill the well, put bars and metal six pans in(heat conductive) THEN put some hot water in the six pans, and plastic(won't radiate heat out the top) six pans inside the metal six pans, as well as a lid on top.

And maybe turn the hot well down a bit once its hot? If gravy's seperating it probably means its a touch too hot. Basically the plastic bag, only with containers meant for each other's shape.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007
Far from perfect, but better than you...

Fun Shoe

Sounds like your steam table is a bit too hot, as well as what everyone else has said. Beans will dry out, that's just a thing that happens, just make sure to hit them with a bit of hot water (or stock or whatever you cook them in originally) and give them a stir every once in a while. Gravy splitting and cheese crusting (provided you're keeping a lid on them) is likely just due to too much heat.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

GBS sucks but this avatar is pretty great.

Lids too

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

The problem with the heat is everything runs about 150 when I temp it and health department says keep poo poo at 165+. Seems like the gravey problem is water condensation and adding into it.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheParadigm posted:

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

yeah, seconding this

«115 »