Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

Heh. She calls herself a kitchen troll. Should clarify she's not a jerk to coworkers, just not cut out for customers, and not patient enough to manage. I'm seeing her this weekend (I live one state over) and will try to bring up some of these suggestions. She's been killing time doing leather craft this last year, but it's low volume and not going to cover rent.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If she is capable of driving, Lyft and Uber are really open ended and flexible ways to make some extra money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

"make" some money by converting the value of your not driven into the ground car into a less valuable more driven into the ground car.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

"make" some money by converting the value of your not driven into the ground car into a less valuable more driven into the ground car.

I drive Lyft a bit, like an hour or so after work 4 days a week, and make an extra $250 a week. I promise you I am not causing $1000 worth of damage a month to the car lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I drive Lyft a bit, like an hour or so after work 4 days a week, and make an extra $250 a week. I promise you I am not causing $1000 worth of damage a month to the car lol

Are you paying commercial insurance rates?

Just like pizza delivery, if you get hit they'll drop you like a hot potato if they find you've done any ride share stuff with that vehicle.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you paying commercial insurance rates?

Just like pizza delivery, if you get hit they'll drop you like a hot potato if they find you've done any ride share stuff with that vehicle.

I'm aware. I apologize for making the suggestion and agitating the thread or whatever

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Asked Chef to order some peppermint extract 'tis the season and all.
This is what showed up on the truck

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Good thing it's good until 2024!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was curious what percentage is alcohol.

Alcohol (95%), Peppermint Oil

I wonder what a shot of that would be like...

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Canuckistan posted:

sinus-clearing pain

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Canuckistan posted:

My childhood Christmases.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Canuckistan posted:

Almost minty enough.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Russian roulette: 5 shots are rumple minze, 1 is pure extract

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It smells like straight up mouthwash.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

It smells like straight up mouthwash.

You know what you need to do. For science! :eng101:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Peppermint enema.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Asked Chef to order some peppermint extract 'tis the season and all.
This is what showed up on the truck

Ooo, Nielsen-Massey sells in gallons?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Holiday PPE

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6976057454878657797

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My place hired my old chef from my old place! :supaburn:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

My place hired my old chef from my old place! :supaburn:

Is that good?

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

Having done a lot of work and volunteering in the charity sector in the last few years this is a shockingly accurate portrayal.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

He's a cheap bastard, but he's not in charge of anybody's money here, so we're just plus one excellent chef. Nice guy, too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can use that to repel rats and mice also.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Elephanthead posted:

You can use that to repel rats and mice also.

When you are salting your doorways to keep evil spirits out, I find that fleur de sel has that je ne sais quoi to keep all but the most ancient and forboding beings at bay. Kosher salt is obviously better if you are dealing with Abrahamic entities but that's more of a niche, targeted thing.

(for real tho you can use all sorts of stuff like that to deter various vermins and varmints from getting into your poo poo, like diatomaceous earth for insects eating up your vegetable garden)

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
You know a manager has lost the restaurant when they says "when I tell them to stop, they get louder."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Quabzor posted:

You know a manager has lost the restaurant when they says "when I tell them to stop, they get louder."

This in reference to staff or customers?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Skwirl posted:

This in reference to staff or customers?

Yes

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

The line of our open kitchen restaurant.

I'm down for a few test clicks. But holy poo poo, our guys play the tongs like people play spoons (a guy was actually playing the spoons last night too). It can be heard from every spot in the restaurant.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
well you have to test the tongs for tonginess

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
It's a rule that I have to snap tongs three times and then go 'rawww' and have them bite my wife on the butt. I don't think that would fly on a line.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Canuckistan posted:

It's a rule that I have to snap tongs three times and then go 'rawww' and have them bite my wife on the butt. I don't think that would fly on a line.

Yeah, the KM/MOD probably wouldn't be alright with you asking your wife to enter a working kitchen just so you can do that.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Are they... good at it? Like musical, or just frenzied clicking?

When I was dish grunt for the Army DFAC, we had this dude Felix who moonlighted as a drummer/singer for a Mexican band. We had no music in the dish room, just the endless mechanical hissing and clatter of our 16' long dishwasher machine.

So we loved it when Felix would start pounding the steel tables like bongos and singing. Sometimes our would-be hiphop stars would spit over Felix's beats, that was always fun.

The troops (esp the Latinx ones) dropping their plates off would catch us dancing back there to Felix's sick rhythms as we washed 1500 plates/hour, and it made them smile. (So of course the staff sgt would tell us to STOP HAVING FUN WHILE DOING YOUR THANKLESS JOB)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Canuckistan posted:

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yeah, the KM/MOD probably wouldn't be alright with you asking your wife to enter a working kitchen just so you can do that.

But if you can settle for doing it to a 19 year old waitress or hostess, way too many places I've worked would be perfectly fine with it.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Are they... good at it? Like musical, or just frenzied clicking?

Occasionally it'll be a rhythm, but usually it's just clackity-clackity-clackity really quickly for far too long. Sometimes tapping on a plate repeatedly to indicate that they need more of that type of plate.

They really have our managers by the gonads. They're a great team that puts out fantastic food almost as fast as they click their tongs.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Canuckistan posted:

I can also do a really bad Gordon Ramsay impression.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
wtf you don't tong your wife

you tong your cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnBwm5nUrU

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

For being "tonging gone wrong" I was expecting a cat to launch at the tonger

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

You wouldn't tong a cat...

You wouldn't tong your wife...

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 20, 2021

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I did not tong my cat. I didn't tong anywhere near my cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Arkhamina posted:

Question for y'all - I am not industry, but my sister was until March 2020 (covid, her bar/theater closed up), and then she tripped and broke her neck in October. She's 70% recovered now, but she was 20 years a line cook, generally at higher end Indy bars. Going through disability hoops now, because without arm strength and the ability to stand for 8-12 hours, she doesn't stand too much chance being able get and do the job, as I understand it.

Have her talk to Chris and Mollie. She should have *some* connection to them if she was serving at high end establishments. They've had consistent growth and support enthusiasm so even if they can't help her out they should be able to help her land somewhere. If she is willing to deal with some light sexual harassment, the management at the cigar bar by the circle always had a sweet tooth for the easy alt-girl type. IDK if #metoo changed that, I haven't been around there in a decade. The cigar bar on 96th by the fashion mall mostly serves liquor and bottles so that's another option. It is pretty low traffic so bad for tips but good for not being on your feet for long stretches. I feel like Ted would be a good asset here. He knows a lot of people and he hired Squeak.