Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Minimum wage needs to be 15 an hour in Peoria or whatever, the places where it's actually fifteen an hour it should probably be closer to twenty if you expect people to live and work in the same city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Dude don't ever use a guard on a mando. You'll ruin the bevel and shave plastic into the food.

And that's bullshit

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah mine is like 2500 a month. That's one of the reasons I'm accepting a Midwest position. Same salary way lower cost of living.

Congrats, man. Where in the midwest are you moving? Gonna miss the West Coast life, I'm sure?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah mine is like 2500 a month. That's one of the reasons I'm accepting a Midwest position. Same salary way lower cost of living.

Welcome to the boring but secure life. It's not too bad if you're into drinking and the outdoors.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The one true heezy posted:

Dude don't ever use a guard on a mando. You'll ruin the bevel and shave plastic into the food.

And that's bullshit
you're supposed to put the food against the blade, not have it point up at you

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The real reason not to use a handguard is because it makes you feel like a sissy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude, the Midwest is great for CoL. Can be boring as hell if you like to do actual city things, but on the other hand I can buy a house out here for under $200k.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The one true heezy posted:

And that's bullshit
You're right, giving it a garnishing of human flesh when you inevitably run your hand through it is much better, really gives it that authentic Hannibal Lecter zest.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Dude, the Midwest is great for CoL. Can be boring as hell if you like to do actual city things, but on the other hand I can buy a house out here for under $200k.

gently caress, I might struggle to find a one bedroom apartment here for that.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Hauki posted:

gently caress, I might struggle to find a one bedroom apartment here for that.

That's a lot of the reason we chose Louisville. We can buy a nice small house that is very close to the city center for 200k or less that is more or less guaranteed to appreciate in value. Mr. W's pension/VA disability will cover the basics so I can afford to keep working for nonprofits or if I totally lose my mind, go back and manage restaurants again while I finish my undergrad degree.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wroughtirony posted:

That's a lot of the reason we chose Louisville. We can buy a nice small house that is very close to the city center for 200k or less that is more or less guaranteed to appreciate in value. Mr. W's pension/VA disability will cover the basics so I can afford to keep working for nonprofits or if I totally lose my mind, go back and manage restaurants again while I finish my undergrad degree.

don't do it

The stories we get in this thread might be amazing, but it's not worth your mental sanity. You've been through enough.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Midniter posted:

Congrats, man. Where in the midwest are you moving? Gonna miss the West Coast life, I'm sure?

Outside Columbus. LA was fun. We have only been here for a little over a year so we are just pretending it was a long very expensive holiday. I will miss the food options though.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Welcome to the boring but secure life. It's not too bad if you're into drinking and the outdoors.

Yes you are describing Texas, where we are from. I'm happy with that kind of thing

Liquid Communism posted:

And that's basically it. I'm not spending 600k on a 900 sf house with no lot. I'm going to buy a 20 acre family farm for half that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Outside Columbus.

Columbus is a good area. What part of town? PM me even if you don't wanna say publicly. Wherever, whenever you get the chance. Take the trip down towards Cincinnati and check out Jungle Jim's, it's pretty great.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The Alto-Shams got turned on today :fap:

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you don't mind me asking... what the gently caress is an auto sham?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Man and his dog posted:

It's an automatic car drying machine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It's an automatic car drying machine.

I was going to go with 'it's a fry cook three minutes after rush ends'. :)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Some menu item and formatting ideas for your new place, CDC.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

thats with all the minimum wage talk? is it common in the usa to earn minimum wage in the kitchen?

alto sham is a brand, most famous for hot boxes.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

I'm assuming he's talking about combination ovens.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

twotimer posted:

thats with all the minimum wage talk? is it common in the usa to earn minimum wage in the kitchen?

Here in Virginia, min wage is still the fed level of $7.25/hr. When I interviewed, the KM asked how much I was looking to get. I said $10, she chuckled and said "I don't think the owners will do that, but since you have experience, I can probably get you 9." And that's what I'm making. (Around here, that passes for "ok, but you sure can't afford rent without a partner/roommate" money.) So yeah, a wet-behind-the-ears grunt could very likely get min wage even at my city's #1-on-Yelp-for-breakfast joint. :(

Also, I just did my taxes, and I get to pay the IRS $58 for not having health insurance since I started there in October. :911: 'Murrica

In happier news, my job IS paying for me to get certified in process control of canned foods, since they want to start selling the hot and bbq sauces we do in house. It's an actual college class, I'm getting 8 credits through the University of Tennessee to learn all about processing low acid and acidified foods. My textbook just arrived via FedEx today, and I keep shoving my nose into it, literally, because gently caress I love that new textbook smell. Ah, to be 17 and in college again. :allears:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

twotimer posted:

In short, yes.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Freestanding restaurants in the US usually fail and are run by people who have no idea what they're doing. Hotels and larger restaurant groups usually pay well, anywhere from $10-20/hr depending on cost of living in the area.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My textbook just arrived via FedEx today, and I keep shoving my nose into it, literally, because gently caress I love that new textbook smell. Ah, to be 17 and in college again. :allears:

This is a strange form of Stockholm syndrome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is a strange form of Stockholm syndrome.

As opposed to be working in a restaurant.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Freestanding restaurants in the US usually fail and are run by people who have no idea what they're doing. Hotels and larger restaurant groups usually pay well, anywhere from $10-20/hr depending on cost of living in the area.

Hospitals too. I'm a little over 14/hr in central OH.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I'm making almost 21/hr at a hotel gig and we get regular pay bumps and our health, vison, dental is paid %100.
It's a union gig that has its pluses snd minuses.
I'm looking at jumping ship to a smaller more high end hotel waiting to hear back about that position.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

twotimer posted:

As close as the market will bear. Money spent on labor is money that the owners aren't taking home.

Union gigs like big hotel chains, and actually upscale places tend to pay more, but the averages look like this:

Cooks, fast food: $9.89

Cooks, Short Order: $11.12

Cooks, Institutional: $12.68

Those are nationwide averages. If you click through, they have maps showing how that breaks down by state.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2018

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Ok guys. Ice cream scoops. I buy 2+ ice cream scoops a month. I've bought fancy ones from Williams Sonoma (there's one right by me), I've bought lovely ones from smart and final and I've ordered them in bulk from Sysco. They are all poo poo and break: the wire loop bends, the gears strip, the whole head snaps off. What's an ice cream scoop/disher that wont goddamn break on me? I have a one piece no moving parts scoop as a backup but sometimes I want the look of an ice cream box, a nice hemisphere. Where do I get?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

What the hell are you doing to them?

I think you've proven that you can't be trusted with moving parts, so you should go to an ice cream spade instead.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's not me, it's my cooks, and usually how it goes is I see an order or ice cream come up that looks like it was squeezed together with someone's bare hands, because that's exactly what they did after breaking the god drat ice cream scoop.

I have a couple classic scoops, as well as a spoon that makes quenelles.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Isn't a scoop that makes quenelles a spoon

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pile of brown posted:

It's not me, it's my cooks, and usually how it goes is I see an order or ice cream come up that looks like it was squeezed together with someone's bare hands, because that's exactly what they did after breaking the god drat ice cream scoop.

I have a couple classic scoops, as well as a spoon that makes quenelles.

Training issue? Anybody ever teach them not to leave the scoop in the freezer and expect it to both not require absurd force to drive cold metal through cold ice cream and to hold up to absurd force when cold and brittle?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
We keep the scoops in a Bain Marie of hot water. Honestly I have no idea I just want a recommendation for an indestructible ice cream scoop.

And yes you can make quenelles with any spoon but most spoons are designed to transfer food from a plate or bowl to a mouth and this one is designed to make nice one- handed quenelles with minimal effort, if I was still at work I'd take a photo of it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So it's official, this coming week is my last week in hospitality forever

feeling kind of nostalgic about it, it sucked sometimes but it was also a blast

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
You'll be back.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tell your left handed cook she's not allowed to use a disher and get her a heavy pointy scoop.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pile of brown posted:

We keep the scoops in a Bain Marie of hot water. Honestly I have no idea I just want a recommendation for an indestructible ice cream scoop.

And yes you can make quenelles with any spoon but most spoons are designed to transfer food from a plate or bowl to a mouth and this one is designed to make nice one- handed quenelles with minimal effort, if I was still at work I'd take a photo of it.

A one handed quenelle, what the hell? Explain this deviltry.
Also get a left handed scoop, the correct version of Wrought's theory. Fuccen righties.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

A one handed quenelle, what the hell? Explain this deviltry.
Also get a left handed scoop, the correct version of Wrought's theory. Fuccen righties.

If you aren't using your right hand you're using your wrong hand, in latin it's literally your sinister hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

bentacos posted:

You'll be back.

Harsh. Likely true. Two years out!