Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/MurderBryan/status/960605174971752449

Like, I'm the type of pedant who always says "I'm doing well" instead of "I'm doing good" if some one asks how I'm doing, but I'm not the type a pedant who says "Superman does good, you're doing well" to other people.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Skwirl posted:

Like, I'm the type of pedant who always says "I'm doing well" instead of "I'm doing good" if some one asks how I'm doing, but I'm not the type a pedant who says "Superman does good, you're doing well" to other people.

"'ave a gooder, buds!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JawKnee posted:

"'ave a gooder, buds!"

If I say "have a good day" and the sun is still up, just count yourself lucky I got the correct time of day. I mostly work nights now and everytime I cover a lunch shift at least half my customers are told to "have a good night" before 2 pm.

I did have one customer when I was at a breakfast/lunch place who enjoyed being ornery about that kind of poo poo, but I would gently caress with him about it. If you said "good morning" he'd be all "I'll be the judge of that." One day I just said "Morning" to him and he tried to clap back at me and I stared at him said "I said 'morning,' it's 7:30am, are you going to argue with me about if it's the morning."

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

who has enough time and energy to print out little cards about perceived verbal slights? "get the gently caress out of my store" is also an imperative statement

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Hmmmm, I wonder if he left a tip? :thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmmm, I wonder if he left a tip? :thunk:

That was the tip.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

That was the tip.

Here's your tip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSxihhBzCjk

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

All this tip talking REALLY makes me happy I can see this is a YouTube link.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cods posted:

Can you goons tell me about I.T.? Lol

I can tell you a lot about IT. The grass is greener. I'm burnt out on 12 years of doing IT, 7 years running my own shop, and I continually think about quitting it all to buy some commercial space and open a restaurant.

I think maybe what it sounds like you're frustrated by is not being at the top tier of what you're doing, and/or not seeing a clear path forward on pay increases and like, "your career".

If you're already head chef level, I would start networking around town and try to find a sucker like me. Look for someone opening a new restaurant - or maybe a restaurant group or something with some successful places already, and work your way in to a position where you have an ownership stake in the restaurant - or some form of equity.

I've invested in a restaurant group in my town, and as part of my due diligence I got to lay eyes on the operating agreements, P&Ls, and how salaries are paid out for their folks - for the more senior management - so like a chef who consults on multiple restaurant concepts, maybe expos some, bounces around, does manager poo poo, they're getting paid a base salary of like 60-80k, plus a percentage of gross sales. so like, they'll get a half a percent cut of all the restaurants they are working on, which some of the locations are like 1.5-2.5mil in gross revenue. so dude works on 2 restaurants, and he's getting ~15k in bonus. 4, and 30-40k bonus. (and also higher base salary). some dudes have closer to a 2-3% stake in the restaurant group (and I think have put up some of their own money to invest in new store openings), but are getting like literally 100k cuts of revenue on top of their salary.

Dunno, I think it's a good model for everyone - I think top tier folks who are dedicated to a shop should be compensated, and the only way to do that really (and this goes for IT as well) is ownership/equity interest.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Cods you should look into a food/beer/wine rep position. You sound like you have the experience for it and it's a good job to transition to from restaurant work.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I would get all pedantic and argue that the “hope you” before “have a nice day” is implied because it’s become unnecessary to say explicitly. Hope you suck it, old man!

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

Phlux,

I just moved to the west coast in search of a better quality of life compared to NYC kitchens, but then I find it's just kind of the same poo poo everywhere. After doing like 10 years of 12 hour days it's just stale. The is my first not head chef job in a few years. I'm in line with my current place to head up a new property, or I could jump from this place to minimum a cdc or exec sous at another hotel(this was just my first landing spot) but I'm honestly just tired of working 12s on my feet.

At the end of the day I'm just zapped, and I want to just sleep on my day off. Not a life to live. I also don't have anything to fall back on if I were to continue this line of work when my body quits. It unfortunately is my passion. 8 identify myself as a chef because it's all I know. But I'm also doing this because I have to. If anything were to happen to me I would be hosed. And if I did my ownes it thing it would be even worse.

I just don't think I'm there anymore. Maybe in 10 years after I have more to fall back I can cook for some nerds and they can give me money for a restaurant, but as for now I think I'm done.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

cods posted:

I just don't think I'm there anymore. Maybe in 10 years after I have more to fall back I can cook for some nerds and they can give me money for a restaurant, but as for now I think I'm done.

Get out of da game. Or severely limit yourself from the industry. I spent just under 3 years putting in 40 hours as a head server at a semi-famous place while also working 40 hours a week at my career, and the burnout was so loving real at the end. I'm talking working 11 shifts a week across both jobs. It was awful, all I wanted to do was sleep. I would go on my lunch break from my day job, drive home, nap for 30 minutes, and then work another 11 hours.

In October I got a raise and some additional job security from my career so I stepped down as head server and dropped to 2.5 serving shift a week. My life is significantly better.

My advice: hand in our notice, get a day job doing anything else. After a while maybe come back to kitchen part time, but don't stress.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Maestro posted:

I would get all pedantic and argue that the “hope you” before “have a nice day” is implied because it’s become unnecessary to say explicitly. Hope you suck it, old man!

This is why English needs clearly defined imperative and subjunctive moods, damnit!

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

This is why English needs clearly defined imperative and subjunctive moods, damnit!

Nah, just do it like French with "bonjour" vs "bonne journée"

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

cods posted:

That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

Phlux,

I just moved to the west coast in search of a better quality of life compared to NYC kitchens, but then I find it's just kind of the same poo poo everywhere. After doing like 10 years of 12 hour days it's just stale. The is my first not head chef job in a few years. I'm in line with my current place to head up a new property, or I could jump from this place to minimum a cdc or exec sous at another hotel(this was just my first landing spot) but I'm honestly just tired of working 12s on my feet.

At the end of the day I'm just zapped, and I want to just sleep on my day off. Not a life to live. I also don't have anything to fall back on if I were to continue this line of work when my body quits. It unfortunately is my passion. 8 identify myself as a chef because it's all I know. But I'm also doing this because I have to. If anything were to happen to me I would be hosed. And if I did my ownes it thing it would be even worse.

a few years ago a mate of mine got burnt out and went to work for the outfit that supplies fancy cheeses to the restaurants here. he spends his days on the road selling french cheeses to chefs all over the state, no longer needs reservations anywhere, gets the best tables, etc. i havent seen him this happy in at least a decade.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

cods posted:

yeah, I hear you. I think I'd get burnt out too, I mean hell I am burnt out as gently caress right now with IT.

the distributor job suggestions are actually pretty good ones. I can't really imagine getting burnt out selling wine to restaurants or fancy cheeses or something, and how can that even be a stressful job really.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

I can tell you a lot about IT. The grass is greener. I'm burnt out on 12 years of doing IT, 7 years running my own shop, and I continually think about quitting it all to buy some commercial space and open a restaurant.

I think maybe what it sounds like you're frustrated by is not being at the top tier of what you're doing, and/or not seeing a clear path forward on pay increases and like, "your career".

If you're already head chef level, I would start networking around town and try to find a sucker like me. Look for someone opening a new restaurant - or maybe a restaurant group or something with some successful places already, and work your way in to a position where you have an ownership stake in the restaurant - or some form of equity.

I've invested in a restaurant group in my town, and as part of my due diligence I got to lay eyes on the operating agreements, P&Ls, and how salaries are paid out for their folks - for the more senior management - so like a chef who consults on multiple restaurant concepts, maybe expos some, bounces around, does manager poo poo, they're getting paid a base salary of like 60-80k, plus a percentage of gross sales. so like, they'll get a half a percent cut of all the restaurants they are working on, which some of the locations are like 1.5-2.5mil in gross revenue. so dude works on 2 restaurants, and he's getting ~15k in bonus. 4, and 30-40k bonus. (and also higher base salary). some dudes have closer to a 2-3% stake in the restaurant group (and I think have put up some of their own money to invest in new store openings), but are getting like literally 100k cuts of revenue on top of their salary.

Dunno, I think it's a good model for everyone - I think top tier folks who are dedicated to a shop should be compensated, and the only way to do that really (and this goes for IT as well) is ownership/equity interest.

Went through this, back in IT making good money again. Life is good. Everyone should try other careers and enjoy things.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I hear you. I think I'd get burnt out too, I mean hell I am burnt out as gently caress right now with IT.

the distributor job suggestions are actually pretty good ones. I can't really imagine getting burnt out selling wine to restaurants or fancy cheeses or something, and how can that even be a stressful job really.

Turkeybone became a wine salesman and he hasn't been in this thread in probably a couple of years, so he's probably living the high life. Or combating cirrhosis, take your pick.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Turkeybone became a wine salesman and he hasn't been in this thread in probably a couple of years, so he's probably living the high life. Or combating cirrhosis, take your pick.

He stops in every once in a while to remind us that his company sends him places to get drunk as part of "work" or that he's eating somewhere nice at lunch on the company dime or some poo poo.

I need to start making better friends with my wine guys.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm glad he got out though, and is presumably doing awesome - his horror stories were pretty bad. Wasn't he the dude who was like always skating a relationship with his GM or something?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Several people at the resto I work at: “man it sucks that minimum wage has gone up the last few years!"

Me: "explain"

Them: "you see, if we didn't have to pay everyone more, then we could get more raises"

Me: "or you'd still be making two dollars over minimum wage, and that would be the only difference"

Them: "no you see, the way trickle down economy works is..."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Temporarily embarrassed millionaires

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The real trick is to work for a mildly sketchy joint that overpays the poo poo out of you to keep your head down and do your job, regardless of minimum wage.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Several people at the resto I work at: “man it sucks that minimum wage has gone up the last few years!"

Me: "explain"

Them: "you see, if we didn't have to pay everyone more, then we could get more raises"

Me: "or you'd still be making two dollars over minimum wage, and that would be the only difference"

Them: "no you see, the way trickle down economy works is..."

crab bucket

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The real trick is to work for a mildly sketchy joint that overpays the poo poo out of you to keep your head down and do your job, regardless of minimum wage.

This exists? I've only ever worked for moderately sketcky joints that underpaid/overworked me and used domestic abuse tactics to keep me from leaving. I must have been doing it all wrong...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Oh wow I have been summoned! And Wrought as well! It's a god drat reunion.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

So yes at the end of my stint in the restaurant world (and I worked at an arguably *great* restaurant, I can't imagine if it was a real garbage place), I ended up hooking up with the GM for awhile. We both hated the industry and it was actually something nice in all that poo poo. So when I decided to get out and go back to school, she also had enough of that life and that town so she came with me. Well, within 6 months we both realized that we weren't right for each other in that way, and it was all out of duress. But we're still friends, and while I moved to NYC, she bought a house and stayed up state (she got back into the GM world and still a few more years of work drama, but arguably a MUCH better life, so while it was a quick little fling, good things came out of it).

Only really this past year has the glow of not-being-in-a-kitchen worn off, and I'm actually thinking about next steps (whatever that is, I'm not sure yet). I was never a rep but I am adjacent to the wine biz, I do analysis (work in Excel all day pretty much). I changed teams that I work for (from supporting restaurant wine sales to supporting people who deal with the wineries), so there's not as many trips for work, but I still get my lunch paid for every day, and have access to more alcohol than I could ever possibly drink. I have a little more work these days as I handle a lot of big retailers, but again it's not really sales just information wrangling. I think I lucked out though because there are definitely crappy garbage people in this industry, but thankfully I don't really deal with any of them on a regular basis. Lots of incompetent people, too, but I like all the people I interact with, and I could have this job forever if I wanted.

Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking Jake might just show up and say hello, but he never does. I hope wherever he is, he's doin' okay and makin' new friends. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun and rob the Foodway so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more.

I have my great modest apartment in New York, I do improv and have a huge friend group.. compared to the tiny little world of co-workers and NO ONE ELSE when I was back in MD. I still like to cook and bake (hit me up on insta @theturkeybone I love making stupid cooking videos) -- I had FOUR friendsgivings this year, 60+ in all. I take wine boxes and stain/finish them and hang them up and put plants on them. I date a lovely woman who searches for turtles and wants to be a doctor.

ALSO MOST IMPORTANTLY I STARTED THERAPY LAST YEAR AND IT'S GREAT. Seriously, I never did drugs or was an alcoholic, I just mentally abused myself for years and years. I got to a 'much better place' in like 6 months, and now I go maybe once or twice a month just to catch up. Best thing I did for myself besides go back to school.

Also I wholly recommend you check out Scott's Cheap Flights -- I never had the time to travel in the restaurant biz, but now I have some time and scratch and I take great trips for round trip tickets in the $300s, stay in airbnbs, and just check out the world. Tonight I fly to Dublin for a 3 day weekend (actually signed onto SA to see if there were any Dublin food threads), then come back for a day and then off to ROME for 5 days.

So yeah, if you LOVE the industry more than life, go for it (I'd say out of my CIA friend group, I only know maybe 5 or 6 who stuck with it, but they run their own kitchens/own their own places), but if not, don't punish yourself. You don't have to be a code genius, but even just learning Excel/python will get you pretty drat far away from this.

I'll come by on the regular more often. :)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

Maybe I should get me a gun and rob the Foodway so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more.

:stare:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

That's a Shawshank Redemption reference. Being institutionalized.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Turkeybone posted:

Sometimes after work, I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking Jake might just show up and say hello, but he never does. I hope wherever he is, he's doin' okay and makin' new friends. I have trouble sleepin' at night. I have bad dreams like I'm falling. I wake up scared. Sometimes it takes me a while to remember where I am. Maybe I should get me a gun and rob the Foodway so they'd send me home. I could shoot the manager while I was at it, sort of like a bonus. I guess I'm too old for that sort of nonsense any more.

:five: :five: :five: :five:

e: dont kill yourself tho

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's a Shawshank Redemption reference. Being institutionalized.

I just thought it would be hilarious to stick that in there. :iiam:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

This exists? I've only ever worked for moderately sketcky joints that underpaid/overworked me and used domestic abuse tactics to keep me from leaving. I must have been doing it all wrong...

Yeah. They're called money launderers. It can be good, I'm told. I was also told this by a guy who had to move provinces because he walked into a room at the wrong time though, so ymmv.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Did anyone else survive Valentine’s day? Two of us did 8500 in food and I just kinda wanna brag a little...

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I went back to get my twice yearly taste of service industry and delivered flowers. It was a living hell. Freaking amateurs. Sure, order flowers to be delivered to "Jane Smith, hospital basement, Fort Bragg." I'm sure finding her will be no problem at all. Or go ahead and try and surprise someone by sending them flowers when they work in a tightly secured building. The gate guards just LOVE when you show up to FORSCOM headquarters unannounced and uninvited with a wagon full of flowers and a list of names.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my coworkers had her baby early. She was a trooper though, and apparently went into labor, at work. So she basically went down the hall and upstairs. Which was kinda convenient for her. (Still cooking at a hospital.) So, good for her.

Downside, I have to do the prep she's been doing. So I got shuffled around, again. Such is life.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If one of y'all, say, cut yourself badly in the hospital kitchen, would you have to go thru proper channels of admitting and billing and all that jazz, or would some staff member be all "I got you fam, gimme a sec" and just sew you up?

Back when I was at the DFAC, we had two pregnant cooks at one time, both with hair trigger nausea. One couldn't set foot in the dish room because the smell of the trough that uses recirculated garbage disposal water would make her hurl, and that would set the other cook off. Then the first one would hear the second one gagging, and the two of them would be re-triggering each other in this ouroboros of puking.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If one of y'all, say, cut yourself badly in the hospital kitchen, would you have to go thru proper channels of admitting and billing and all that jazz, or would some staff member be all "I got you fam, gimme a sec" and just sew you up?

One guy cut the tip of his thumb off on the slicer. But I wasn't there that day, so no clue. I know we have an employee health office, which I only know about for our yearly required flu shot.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
When I worked in a hospital kitchen, I don't think such a thing ever happened during my time there, though I know a lady had, before I was hired, sliced off the tip of her finger cleaning the slicer and they said they sent to the the ER to get it fixed. I don't know if she had to pay for it, but my guess from the way everyone talked about it is that she didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Well yeah, injuries that happen on the clock are the responsibility of the employer. Always report your injuries, no matter how minor.