Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well yeah, injuries that happen on the clock are the responsibility of the employer. Always report your injuries, no matter how minor.

This. Back when I was managing, we had one cook slice her hand good enough to need a few stitches. It wasn't an ER style emergency so I drove her to the nearest urgent care to get stitched up and gave her the option of coming back to work or going home and made it clear that either way, she wouldn't be punished and she would still be paid until she clocked out.

poo poo happens. You have to treat your people right if you want them to remain your people. Poor girl burned the hell out of her arm a couple years later (long after I left) on fryer oil - never did find out how that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Well yeah, injuries that happen on the clock are the responsibility of the employer. Always report your injuries, no matter how minor.

Nope. They're not the employer's responsibility if the employee is violating a procedure on which they have been trained. I had a worker's comp claim denied because I had signed a training document saying "don't lift with your back, ask for help with heavy objects." I was hurt when I was told to move a mobility cart with a dead battery. The only way to move them without hooking up a spare battery (which we didn't have) was to lift them from the front and roll them on the back wheels. I hit a bump in the carpet and fell into the cart. I had to pay for the urgent care visit which they told me was mandatory and covered for an at work injury, and I was placed on probation for violating safety procedures.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
On the flip side I saw someone get a workman's comp claim paid out after separating his shoulder at old man softball, then claiming he hurt it at work doing something that staff are explicitly and repeatedly told not to do, so YMMV.

Report and document everything always, whether you are the injured party or the manager/employer. Even if you trust your employee, or trust your employer, a lawyer from one side or the other absolutely will show up to gently caress up everyones poo poo.

One time I splashed hot oil on myself at work. It was really gruesome to look at but actually just a light burn, just big. Three days later we had a management retreat and the look of horror on our HR lady's face when she saw it, and asked it it had happened at work, and had been documented, was indescribable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

Nope. They're not the employer's responsibility if the employee is violating a procedure on which they have been trained. I had a worker's comp claim denied because I had signed a training document saying "don't lift with your back, ask for help with heavy objects." I was hurt when I was told to move a mobility cart with a dead battery. The only way to move them without hooking up a spare battery (which we didn't have) was to lift them from the front and roll them on the back wheels. I hit a bump in the carpet and fell into the cart. I had to pay for the urgent care visit which they told me was mandatory and covered for an at work injury, and I was placed on probation for violating safety procedures.

if anything remotely like this happens to others reading this thread, you should seek out a workers' comp attorney - generally speaking, even if something is your fault you are eligible for WC, which at a bare minimum is a way to have necessary medical treatment paid for.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ekeog posted:

if anything remotely like this happens to others reading this thread, you should seek out a workers' comp attorney - generally speaking, even if something is your fault you are eligible for WC, which at a bare minimum is a way to have necessary medical treatment paid for.

I was contracting at a power co-op helping them with redoing their filing system for WC claims. One guy got a WC claim because he decided not to turn a light on in an office before walking through, tripped over a chair, and (IIRC) broke his glasses and chipped a tooth.

The scary part? The dumbass worked at a nuke power plant.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

pile of brown posted:

One time I splashed hot oil on myself at work. It was really gruesome to look at but actually just a light burn, just big. Three days later we had a management retreat and the look of horror on our HR lady's face when she saw it, and asked it it had happened at work, and had been documented, was indescribable.
I can tell if someone has tempura experience by looking at their forearm.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So yesterday there was an event in my city, a big food and beer event with like 3 dozen vendors. When I agreed to do it, it was going to be 800-1000 people, no big deal. Paid our deposit, no problem. Then they sold a bunch of tickets and decided that 2500 would be the new target, which I was not pleased about (I'm a small kitchen and don't have a lot of storage or extra labour hours for poo poo like that), but they were being fucks about giving me my deposit back (because they were also having trouble getting more food vendors), so I just said gently caress it and made food for it. Turns out they oversold the venue by at LEAST 500 people, some people ended up waiting in line for over an hour to be told that they would probably not be allowed in the venue at all that night. The secondary line to get a refund was also TWO HOURS long. loving thing was such a train wreck. I don't understand how people can gently caress something up that badly. gently caress stupid people who run events.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

There's a reason event management is a profession, and a well-paid one at that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

You know we poo poo on Boomers a lot in the industry, but I have to say that the Silent Generation is probably the worst I've had to deal with. When a group of them come in, I can reasonably assume that they will do at least one of the following:

-Complain about the prices no matter what the cost.

-Ask if we don't have any "regular" food. Was once serving a customer when a local farmer dropped off some arugula. One of the SGs stuck their tongue out in disgust and asked if we just serve normal iceberg.

-After staring at the menu and asking annoying insulting questions, confidently order something that is not on the menu.

-Go on a rant about tips.

-Not tip.

-Clean the plate of all food, then complain and ask for a refund.

-After answering a hundred questions about a menu item, get the item and insist that's not the right thing because they already had in their mind's eye what it was and didn't pay attention to a single word I said.

Add your own.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
The whole point of workers comp is that in exchange for employees giving up the right to sue their employer, the employer doesn’t get to say it was the employee’s fault they got hurt.

It’s state by state, but theonly things that usually aren’t covered are intentional injuries or injuries that happen when people are screwing around, like horseplay or fighting.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The whole point of workers comp is that in exchange for employees giving up the right to sue their employer, the employer doesn’t get to say it was the employee’s fault they got hurt.

It’s state by state, but theonly things that usually aren’t covered are intentional injuries or injuries that happen when people are screwing around, like horseplay or fighting.

I realize I was born under an unlucky star or whatever, but I've never known of a workers comp case that didn't end badly for the worker. I remember one guy I worked with, his wife was nearly crushed to death when a filing cabinet fell on her. She was completely disabled and unable to work, and we bought their kid christmas presents that year because her worker's comp claim kept getting denied/delayed and they could barely afford to keep themselves fed, let alone buy toys.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wroughtirony posted:

I realize I was born under an unlucky star or whatever, but I've never known of a workers comp case that didn't end badly for the worker. I remember one guy I worked with, his wife was nearly crushed to death when a filing cabinet fell on her. She was completely disabled and unable to work, and we bought their kid christmas presents that year because her worker's comp claim kept getting denied/delayed and they could barely afford to keep themselves fed, let alone buy toys.

Jeebus. :smith:

My husband went on comp when he worked for Trader Joes; he was the demo guy and made a total doofus mistake trying to hastily split apart frozen veggie burgers or some poo poo by wedging a knife between them. Knife slipped and he severed a tendon in his hand. They paid up, but only like 50% of his usual take home, and then we were in a "damned if you do/don't" situation because TJs wouldn't let him come back until the terms of the doctor's orders were fulfilled. Comp is nice if you legit can't work, as he really couldn't right after the surgery, but can bite ya in the rear end when it's a few months down the road, the bills are stacking up, and yet corporate says "well, you made a claim, so we can't take you back even if you say you can work again".

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Wroughtirony posted:

Its bad, and only works if you get benefits, but lieing about what happened and filing for short term disability instead is so much faster and easier than loving with workers comp.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

Yeah, like Phil said, it varies state by state, and even more inconsistency is introduced by the system being a patchwork of each employer picking their own private insurer. Some companies seem to more often deny very legit injuries others wouldn't think twice about approving, and some adjustors are just unreasonable and/or bad.

When it works right it's great but it's often biased against employees and even more biased against unrepresented employees. You wouldn't believe how many people find that as soon as they have an attorney treatment starts getting approved, despite nothing else being different.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
We open in 8 days and I still need another sous, 4 CdPs, 3 cooks, and 7 commis.

:smithicide:

We officially transition to Fairmont money and not investor money tomorrow, placed a $45k protein order and $10k produce. I don't think my sales reps really understood what we meant when we said they should really look at doubling their inventories for us.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 26, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How's the wait staff looking?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Today was my last day at the golf course and I actually got kinda wistful in the bathroom when I realized this was almost certainly the last time I'm ever gonna poo poo here. For almost three years it's where I've been paid to take most of my shits and it's been good to me. In honor of that bathroom here's a picture of a piece of grandma candy I found in it a couple months ago that I seriously considered eating:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

iospace posted:

How's the wait staff looking?

ready to get down

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

pile of brown posted:

ready to get down

They just live to smash.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

We open in 8 days and I still need another sous, 4 CdPs, 3 cooks, and 7 commis.

:smithicide:

We officially transition to Fairmont money and not investor money tomorrow, placed a $45k protein order and $10k produce. I don't think my sales reps really understood what we meant when we said they should really look at doubling their inventories for us.

Do you need any waiters and are you in the bay area?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Errant Gin Monks posted:

They just live to smash.

God I love this thread

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

Do you need any waiters and are you in the bay area?

If he needs FOH I'd move there to run the bar program. But I've got a feeling that's covered.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

If he needs FOH I'd move there to run the bar program. But I've got a feeling that's covered.

Depends, we've got 2 bars, and one is going to become a live music venue. Pretty sure there's an Asst F&B Director open, and a few upper outlets things. I don't really pay too much attention to FoH stuff here, just because there's about 300 of them, vs our 100 cooks.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Depends, we've got 2 bars, and one is going to become a live music venue. Pretty sure there's an Asst F&B Director open, and a few upper outlets things. I don't really pay too much attention to FoH stuff here, just because there's about 300 of them, vs our 100 cooks.

Well, poo poo. Looks like I have to put up or shut up

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/app/d/hobart-410-meat-slicer/6498370361.html

I've wanted a meat slicer for a minute, but don't have a business use for one, so just casually troll craigslist.

A friend saw this the other day - whatcha all think? I can't tell if there's a giant chip on the blade in one of those photos, and also don't know if there are things to watch out for on older hobarts...

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 27, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mindphlux posted:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/app/d/hobart-410-meat-slicer/6498370361.html

I've wanted a meat slicer for a minute, but don't have a business use for one, so just casually troll craigslist.

A friend saw this the other day - whatcha all think? I can't tell if there's a giant chip on the blade in one of those photos, and also don't know if there are things to watch out for on older hobarts...

Definitely looks like a chip, you can see it from the back side of the blade in the last photo too.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hauki posted:

Definitely looks like a chip, you can see it from the back side of the blade in the last photo too.

Worth asking for a model number and figuring out the cost of a replacement blade and/or taking it to a sharpener that can wear out the ding.

On second glance and a 10 second and sketchy as heck googling - a 410 replacement blade is roughly 130.

http://www.shoremeatsawparts.com/hobart-410-slicer-parts-carriage-trays-motor-guard/HOBART-D-118911-3-USED-MODEL-410-SLICER-BLADE.html

http://www.shoremeatsawparts.com/hobart-410-slicer-parts-carriage-trays-motor-guard/HOBART-D-118911-3-USED-MODEL-410-SLICER-BLADE-B.html

If you're buying used, there's always going to be problems/repairs. Is buying a new blade and using that to bring the price down really the worst that could happen?

I'd say its worth following up on, and at least meet the seller.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I can tell if someone has tempura experience by looking at their forearm.

Same for anyone who does sugar work. Check their wrists, there's likely a band of little burn scars from where the coat cuff ends to the base of the palm. God knows I have them. Caramel is like napalm, it sticks to kids.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Republicans posted:

Today was my last day at the golf course and I actually got kinda wistful in the bathroom when I realized this was almost certainly the last time I'm ever gonna poo poo here. For almost three years it's where I've been paid to take most of my shits and it's been good to me. In honor of that bathroom here's a picture of a piece of grandma candy I found in it a couple months ago that I seriously considered eating:

That picture should be the new trolley dilemma.

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Republicans posted:

Beware of candy from strangers.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Oh man, I forgot how much opening a hotel sucks. At least I get a room so I can stay here 24 hours a day for a week or two.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You've seemed happy about it so far - is it just a million small fires popping up that need to be put out, or something else?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

You've seemed happy about it so far - is it just a million small fires popping up that need to be put out, or something else?

He's just bitching he will be fine.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’m guessing Stockholm syndrome humble brag. Congrats on getting paid to stay overnight at your place of work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Being able to 24/7 at work is the opposite of job perk.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

He's just bitching he will be fine.

Yeah, just lots of little things. Couple of the Shams went down, 2 leak, so on and so on.

Literally the only thing that's starting to get to me is our vendors not delivering at 8am like I've been asking for weeks. Spending thousands a day on produce, and I can't get that poo poo delivered before 2pm, really?!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, just lots of little things. Couple of the Shams went down, 2 leak, so on and so on.

Literally the only thing that's starting to get to me is our vendors not delivering at 8am like I've been asking for weeks. Spending thousands a day on produce, and I can't get that poo poo delivered before 2pm, really?!

If you'll order from me exclusively, I'll start a company just to get your produce to you by 8AM.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

If you'll order from me exclusively, I'll start a company just to get your produce to you by 8AM.

I will invest in this company.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I guess those ovens...

Were a sham :dadjoke:

Though where I work went back to once a week truck deliveries after trying two a week.

Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Tfw you have been understaffed for months of double/clopen shifts and you finally have a crew that's legit and you leave after a ~ brunch ~ and check your phone every 30 seconds on the way home and no-one has asked you any dumb questions and...

Now I have to find a hobby or something shittttttt..... I don't remember how to human anymore.