Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Most insane boss story:

My current boss just promoted me. WTF is she thinking?

No seriously, this is one I love to trot out about my previous kitchen gig:

Easter Sunday, at the deli. We've just opened, and suddenly a co-worker starts yelling "Someone... Someone page Tim [the GM] to the deli!" I go over to find out what happened, and Dee had fainted and whacked her head. I get on the phone and page Tim, then rush to check on Dee. At this point, my manager has gotten to the scene and is frantically asking Dee if she needs to go to the hospital. Dee says yes.

In the middle of all this, my boss says "JD, you can drive, right?" And in those frantic seconds, I'm thinking, "... The gently caress? Does she want me to drive Dee to the hospital? I'm new to this city, I kinda know where the hospital is, but wouldn't have a clue how to drive there."

"Uh, yeah?" I reply. "But I walked to work, my car's about four blocks away."

She tosses her keys at me. "Take my car. KayleeSkye [her snowflake teenage daughter] needs a ride to her job! and I can't drive her now."

I hesitate, trying to process all this.

"Don't worry about clocking out, just go! She's up front, go find her and tell her what happened, and that you're driving her to work. Go! She has to be there in 15 minutes!"

So I go up front and explain to an equally confused girl what the deal is, and could she lead me to their car? Turns out it's a big gently caress-off SUV, the likes of which I've never driven in my life, and flaky as hell. poo poo handled like a 23 year old rusty shopping cart, I am absolutely white knuckling the steering wheel one block out of the parking lot.

"So, Kaylee, uh, where we going?"

"Just go up Blahblahblah Rd."

Okay, that's familiar turf. Aside from handling this lurching Canyonero, I got this. I'm just getting the feel for it and over my panicky state, when she tells me "okay, it's right here, on the left."

"The... This church?"

"Yeah, I babysit for the nursery."

TL,DR: In the middle of a crisis, on a busy Easter, my boss made me drive her perfectly healthy teenage daughter less than a mile up the street so she could get to her oh-so-critical job as a babysitter for a loving church.

On the upside, I was still on the clock, and got an extra cigarette break before I came back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Two years ago I just needed a job. Started washing dishes. Because I put all my skill points into Luck, I just happened to be washing dishes alongside an archaeologist who was briefly in between archaeology jobs. I knew off the top of my head that Kennewick Man looked like Captain Picard, so this guy took a liking to me. He told the boss I was a good guy, the boss offered me full time work at a restaurant his friends ran. Washed dishes like I actually cared, which was something most young guys apparently can't be bothered to do, and my new boss asked if I wanted to be a server.

I admitted I would probably instinctively tell customers to eat a dick if they have some stupid problem with their delicious meal. I didn't put it that way, exactly, but I really didn't want to be a waiter. Boss spoke to the cooks in a language I cannot comprehend and later they offered to teach me how to cook. I prepped ten thousand pounds of chicken and other things for a few months. Had to move to another state, started looking for prep cook work, went to an interview with a very nice gentleman whose accent I couldn't completely penetrate. But I believed he offered me a job, so I arrived for my first shift one fine morning and realized I was actually a cook. Tickets came pouring in, my recollection of how to speak Spanish was press ganged onto this voyage, and several months later I finally have the confidence that I know what the hell I'm doing.

I know this is a mundane story but I don't really have anyone right now that I can tell about the fact that I think I may have found my calling in life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you're a fast food place with different hours for counter service verus drive thru, pedestrians and bicyclists should be able to use the loving drive thru. If I really need taco bell at 2 am you probably shouldn't be encouraging me to drive.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Animal-Mother posted:

Two years ago I just needed a job. Started washing dishes. Because I put all my skill points into Luck, I just happened to be washing dishes alongside an archaeologist who was briefly in between archaeology jobs. I knew off the top of my head that Kennewick Man looked like Captain Picard, so this guy took a liking to me. He told the boss I was a good guy, the boss offered me full time work at a restaurant his friends ran. Washed dishes like I actually cared, which was something most young guys apparently can't be bothered to do, and my new boss asked if I wanted to be a server.

I admitted I would probably instinctively tell customers to eat a dick if they have some stupid problem with their delicious meal. I didn't put it that way, exactly, but I really didn't want to be a waiter. Boss spoke to the cooks in a language I cannot comprehend and later they offered to teach me how to cook. I prepped ten thousand pounds of chicken and other things for a few months. Had to move to another state, started looking for prep cook work, went to an interview with a very nice gentleman whose accent I couldn't completely penetrate. But I believed he offered me a job, so I arrived for my first shift one fine morning and realized I was actually a cook. Tickets came pouring in, my recollection of how to speak Spanish was press ganged onto this voyage, and several months later I finally have the confidence that I know what the hell I'm doing.

I know this is a mundane story but I don't really have anyone right now that I can tell about the fact that I think I may have found my calling in life.

Welcome to the next ten years of your life.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I hope your hobby is drinking yourself to sleep.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

Don’t worry, it will be.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coasterphreak posted:

I drink a lot, I'm thinking of cutting back.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Coasterphreak posted:

practically an occupation tbh

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

JawKnee posted:

Nah, occupations pay. Hobbies cost.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Animal-Mother posted:

I drink a lot, I'm thinking of cutting back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I work with several drunks. I think there's an important distinction between a drunk and an alcoholic. I can't elucidate what that distinction is, precisely, but I sometimes wonder if this profession attracts drunks or makes them. Probably a little of column A, a little of column B, and a little of drunks falling over in column A and landing on column B. In any case, I'm seriously going to cut back. My partner and I have just set up a garden and I need extra not-hungover time to make sure these peppers thrive.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://local.theonion.com/opening-...SocialMarketing

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I work with several drunks. I think there's an important distinction between a drunk and an alcoholic.

I, too, would say this before coming to terms with my alcholism. And theirs.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah alcoholics can be fun people to hang around. Drunks just aren't any fun to be around.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
An alcoholic is just a drunk who hasn’t blacked out yet today.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Alternatively, a drunk whose doctor has caught on.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

Alternatively, a drunk whose doctor has caught on.

That's how my ADHD got diagnosed, ironically. I was only drinking to get the constant stream of random thoughts to stop or slow down. Literally went from a handle or two a week to having maybe 4-5 beers a week. If only I'd been diagnosed when I was a kid, I'd probably work for NASA or some poo poo by now.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

If only I'd been diagnosed when I was a kid, I'd probably work for NASA or some poo poo by now.

I disagree, in my experience giving speed to children does not have good results.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I disagree, in my experience giving speed to children does not have good results.

This depends on what results you're trying to achieve...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

That's how my ADHD got diagnosed, ironically. I was only drinking to get the constant stream of random thoughts to stop or slow down. Literally went from a handle or two a week to having maybe 4-5 beers a week. If only I'd been diagnosed when I was a kid, I'd probably work for NASA or some poo poo by now.

I don't mean to encourage you to overshare or anything but

care to elaborate on how this all played out re: diagnosis / cutting back on drinking? I don't know many industry folks who have been able to do that, but I also suspect a lot of them may have similar issues.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Meh, I'll share.

I'd worked in the industry and always been super successful in it, other than the occasional meltdown over the last 16 years.

My parents were both college professors as well as business owners and later, one a successful attorney, both debate champions in college, later coached college and HS debate for decades, really wonderful people. My mother in particular is one of the most dedicated, kindest educators I've ever encountered - 40 years of constantly seeking to elevate her syllabus, better connect with her students. Despite my father having a mis-diagnosed learning disability his whole life, when such things 'didnt exist' (which caused him years of ridiculous struggle) that was known by the mid-80s (at which point he was nearly 40,) when I was born, mine never was. My only sibling is some seven years younger than I am has a learning disability similar to my father's but not quite the same that my parents have accommodated for many years. I was always really ambitious, succeeded without trying at a lot things, but could never get details together. I was also extremely anxious when it came to authority figures. I could win a 2yr college debate tournament but I couldn't turn in my homework to pass Anthro 1, even though I loved the subject. If I had an assignment I'd completed but I didn't feel was perfect, I couldn't turn it in, I would have a meltdown or never return to that class rather than just talk to the teacher. I dropped out of college literallly like, 11 times.

When I was, I dunno, 26? 27? My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time. I was traveling the US, but I essentially dropped everything and moved home to my hometown.
I hated it. I was working cool events at exceptional wineries , but with an hour and a half commute and filling in shifts at literally the dirtiest, grossest and filthiest pub/restaurant I'd ever seen with small town bartenders with HUGE egos. If my mother hadn't needed me, who knows. I tried to take classes in winemaking in order to give me something. I tried to take GE classes (I would have had something like an BA and an AS if I had taken two last classes.) and I just couldn't. Finally, someone sent me to the Health Center to speak to a councilor. I spoke for maybe, three minutes about what was going on with me and she immediately interjected "have you ever been assessed for ADD or ADHD?" My whole world changed after day two on ADHD meds. I could have avoided such an incredible amount of strife, stress, pain, anxiety, disappointing my parents, drinking away my feelings in order to just slow my brain, etc it's incredible. Literally years, if not at least two decades. So many opportunities wasted and bridges burned. I figured out why when I was a lovely youngster I loved uppers - I finally felt normal.

So yeah, high-volume bartending when I was 19 was a great career start - the only thing that could keep my stupid loving brain engaged all the time. I made an insane amount of money. I saved none of it. Then 2008 happened. So I moved to restaurants. Then to neighborhood bars, then huge music fests, then traveling with such fests. Then back to restaurants, including open places that earned Michelin in their first year. Now I oversee multiple bars for a fantastic restaurant group and appear in magazines, newspapers, Eater, etc all the time. If you factor in my bonuses, side gigs, consulting, I make six figures. I'm also trapped in a city (although I mostly grew up here, my parents met here, I love it) where I'll never afford to have a family, own a house or do anything other than what I am right now.

Please, if your kids struggle in school in any way, please have them assessed. Put them on the "speed" and see if it works for them. If it doesn't, obviously, change their regimen. But seriously, my parents were super bohemian intellectual professors who had no clue how much I suffered and how much better my life could have been.

I really wi

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Had to go see a neuropsychologist after that hit and run last year because I was having coordination problems. 3 hours of testing later and a completely honest conversation with the guy about my drinking, how my thought process works, how I tackle problems, and so on, and he diagnoses me as gifted with ADHD. Its called twice exceptional because I won the genetic lottery in smarts, and then you slap some ADHD on top of that.

I was able to work around my ADHD most of my life without noticing it because people with ADHD are terrible at self assessment, and I just assumed everyone's brain worked like mine. Being above average or exceptional intelligence makes it harder to detect. For instance, I get bored with things easily. I try to focus and power through, but then I saw this one thing, and now I'm remodeling the kitchen, and oh, what was I doing? Oh well probably wasn't important, oh great, now my wages are being garnished because I forgot I had student loans and I have to pay them on time.

It's like having a few distinct personal voices in your head that all want to do very different things at the same time. Go to bed on time? gently caress that, let's play games until 4am, oh poo poo I have to go to work.

There's a pretty great YouTube channel called How To ADHD that explains what it's like really well.

I love my ADHD brain because it makes me better at a lot of things that most people struggle with. I'm great at problem solving, being creative comes naturally to me, I can dream up complete menus on a whim, I know what things are going to taste like before I make them. I pick up new things more easily than the average person, and often perfect them in a fraction of the time(which is why ADHD people get a new hobby every 6mos to a year).

But, it's a daily struggle. Sometimes I ignore my wife for days. I don't want to, but I'm really into woodworking right now and I'm totally going to spend some time with her just as soon as I get better at these dovetail joints. Sometimes I give her too much attention, I might just wake up one day and be head over heels for her like when we started dating, and for 2 weeks that's my absolute focus. It's tiring, to say the least. Or at least it should be, but ADHD brains/bodies don't get exhausted, they get bored.

Medication was a huge help for me. I went from having a literal word salad for a thought stream to 100% being able to get things done like I wanted, without my ADHD preventing me. I just didn't want to get drunk anymore because I could think clearly about what I wanted to do in the moment. I kinda got my drive back, if that makes sense.

So yeah, those are some words on ADHD and how it works for me. Everyone's is different to some extent, but this one's mine, and it's a big part of what makes me who I am.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Double post in case someone doesn't want to read the things I wrote: exactly what Make No Babbys said. It's just like that. Authority figures terrified me, turning in homework was impossible, but getting a chance to show off how awesome I am? gently caress yeah!

And for the love of a loving God I do not believe in, if your kid might have ADHD get them assessed, and loving medicate them. You have no idea what it feels like. I was literally valedictorian in high school, and felt like a failure every day of my life because someone smarter than me already had a master's degree at 18. I lived with crippling anxiety and depression for nearly a decade, and my brain refused to let me get help, because what if I get committed to a mental hospital. Then I dream up an entire novel on life in the institute and immediately forget it because atypical brain.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
For serious, SAME.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I’m actually a bar industry person that speaks out on this semi-regularly, including an interview recently where I touch on it and some rad events in October that I’ll be presenting with some chefs... don’t want to post my name here in the thread, but happy to chat via PM or offsite if anyone wants to commiserate.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

This depends on what results you're trying to achieve...

If you want a bunch if permafried, anxiety ridden adults in the future I've got this box of ritalin for you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

If you want a bunch if permafried, anxiety ridden adults in the future I've got this box of ritalin for you.

It's cool, downplay something you don't have to deal with on a daily basis. I'll keep taking my amphetamines and be a functional human being.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

It's cool, downplay something you don't have to deal with on a daily basis. I'll keep taking my amphetamines and be a functional human being.

You're an adult with a fully developed brain and went through a much more vigorous examination than most kids in the early 90s. You're assuming you're the only person who has experience and pretending there aren't vast differences in care between what you can afford and what someone making $10 an hour can manage.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You're an adult with a fully developed brain and went through a much more vigorous examination than most kids in the early 90s. You're assuming you're the only person who has experience and pretending there aren't vast differences in care between what you can afford and what someone making $10 an hour can manage.

ritalin, specifically in the late 90's and early 00's was bad, yes. A lot of it due to racism in schools and seeing bored black kids as uppity while bored white kids were put into gifted programs before getting a script as the next step. Combined with the war on drugs and meth is super popular now. However adderal avoids some of the brain damage and dependencies that ritalin caused and is generally prescribed less. It's a tool that some people legitimately need.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I'll keep taking my amphetamines and be a functional human being.

I don't mean to belittle your condition, but aren't you literally in the process of working yourself to death?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Local steakhouse/hotel and convention center restaurant where the chef for the whole shebang is a long time (but not particularly close) acquaintance needs someone 2 days a week on my days off to help out turning product that needs to get used up into poo poo for their Sunday brunch/Monday lunch buffets. After a year and a half of getting ridiculously overpaid to flip burgers and pour beers I'm getting bored with how simple the work is. How terrible an idea is it to turn my days off into 8-3 and 10-3 come up with some poo poo for buffets shifts?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

don’t dump on folks because their physiological/psychological connection isn’t as efficient as yours, thanks

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

gently caress off with this. You came in swinging with antivax level bullshit and got told to piss off politely by someone who lives with his own issues.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hey, gently caress you man. I was asked for my personal experience, and shared it. I'll gladly take my prescription meth if it means I don't have to get smash hammered every loving day to feel okay.

You want a decent analog to what its like? Go put on some white noise, and start an audio book. Every 20mins start another audio book and increase the volume on the white noise. Repeat all loving day. You can remove one audio book and lower the volume on the white noise for every 5 tasks you complete.

e: oh, and some audio books should start at max volume, those represent really important poo poo, like bills you can't pay, confrontations, deadlines, etc. You are absolutely terrified of those and need to spend the next 30mins avoiding any and all responsibility.

Stringent posted:

I don't mean to belittle your condition, but aren't you literally in the process of working yourself to death?

Not nearly in the way I was before being diagnosed and medicated. Sure, I might work 60-70 hours a week, but I'm not hungover every morning, every interaction with a new person isn't an anxiety attack, I actually enjoy speaking with my guests and hearing what they have to say. I've been working these kinds of hours for almost a decade now. It's what I wanted to do then, and its what I want to do now, Adderall has nothing to do with that.

It's hard to explain, but ADHD isn't like a disease, or disorder. My brain is functionally different than yours. I don't understand math the way you do; that doesn't mean I'm bad at math, I just process it differently(really loving good at math, btw).

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 20, 2018

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

the plural form of 'anecdote' isn't 'data', stop being an idiot tia

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Local steakhouse/hotel and convention center restaurant where the chef for the whole shebang is a long time (but not particularly close) acquaintance needs someone 2 days a week on my days off to help out turning product that needs to get used up into poo poo for their Sunday brunch/Monday lunch buffets. After a year and a half of getting ridiculously overpaid to flip burgers and pour beers I'm getting bored with how simple the work is. How terrible an idea is it to turn my days off into 8-3 and 10-3 come up with some poo poo for buffets shifts?

Well, good idea or bad I have an interview on Monday.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just make sure you still have a day off. Working 7 days a week will wreck you.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

7 days a week is an awful idea, don't do it. I mean, I've done/do it, but I'm in management/just opened a convention hotel. You absolutely need time away from work.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

PPE handout from work today.

That glove is entirely too happy about his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

He's a sub. Loves to be filled, used, and discarded.