Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Did more F&B business than any other hotel in our brand for the entire year, having only opened in March, and we have the most organized, disciplined, professional, etc. culinary team in the whole company imo. Not even a week after F&B con, quite a few of my cooks have been offered CdP positions across the U.S, lots of CdPs and Sous being offered positions all over, and so on.

It's nice to see my team get the recognition they deserve, and the promotions/pay to go with it.

sucks for you though

don't be such a good boss or block the next batch's promotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What's the dumbest reason you've ever seen someone walk out on their job in the kitchen for?

can't think of a dumbest rn but the smartest was a dude who cheesed it bc there was a bounty hunter asking for him at the front door

never saw him again, found out later he was a gigantic piece of poo poo

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

What are these things called "meal breaks" y'all keep talking about?

F'real, we get 2 x 5 min breaks, unless you're pulling a 5am to 3:30pm. Then you get --- hold onto your butts --- three! (Unless I'm the shift lead and the boss has already left; I'm the nice lead that lets you go catch a fiver whenever you want as long as you ask, your station's good, and you don't abuse my niceness. Sometimes you just need a loving cigarette or sit down for a minute or run to the gas station next door for a Red Bull.)

On the upside, BOH can help ourselves to anything we want in the kitchen at any time. Wanna make a burrito with 5 kinds of proteins? Go nuts. Sky's the limit. Only thing that's off limits during service are the specials during brunch, since they have limited quantities prepped out. But if there's anything leftover, you can take it home since we're not gonna do anything with it for the rest of the week.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

He does/did get free buffet food and meal breaks on the clock. He could also make himself a free sandwich at work or have some soup and eat it on a paid meal break. He could order off the menu at 1/2 price and eat it on the clock, etc. He didn’t want any of that, he had his heart set on Subway. It’s company policy that if you’re leaving work for anything but a work related errand, you’ve got to clock out (smoke breaks or taking a chillout break in your car or whatever not included).

Jeez, how bad is your food that someone would want to go to Subway that badly?
(I kid, I kid!)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

god drat JD south carolina sucks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

can't think of a dumbest rn but the smartest was a dude who cheesed it bc there was a bounty hunter asking for him at the front door

Obviously both the prison industrial complex and the bail industry are horribly hosed, but most of the time people with bounty hunters after them aren't good people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

F'real, we get 2 x 5 min breaks, unless you're pulling a 5am to 3:30pm. Then you get --- hold onto your butts --- three! (Unless I'm the shift lead and the boss has already left; I'm the nice lead that lets you go catch a fiver whenever you want as long as you ask, your station's good, and you don't abuse my niceness. Sometimes you just need a loving cigarette or sit down for a minute or run to the gas station next door for a Red Bull.)

On the upside, BOH can help ourselves to anything we want in the kitchen at any time. Wanna make a burrito with 5 kinds of proteins? Go nuts. Sky's the limit. Only thing that's off limits during service are the specials during brunch, since they have limited quantities prepped out. But if there's anything leftover, you can take it home since we're not gonna do anything with it for the rest of the week.

Jeez, how bad is your food that someone would want to go to Subway that badly?
(I kid, I kid!)

Get you loving car fixed and that other job ASAP.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
lmao breaks

i remember those from call centers

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I never eat food at work or take food home because there's something about being surrounded by that food all day that makes me not want to eat it. The only exception is catering leftovers that would otherwise get thrown away because I hate seeing food go to waste.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The first week at a new restaurant is amazing for the free food, but pretty quick you want something that isn't that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Republicans posted:

I never eat food at work or take food home because there's something about being surrounded by that food all day that makes me not want to eat it. The only exception is catering leftovers that would otherwise get thrown away because I hate seeing food go to waste.

Depended on the job. The Mexican and Austrian places I worked at I couldn't get enough, but the rest was just "I could make this better in the time it takes to microwave it."

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I grew tired of biscuits pretty drat quick.

But it's a fun challenge to come up with something new and off-menu with what we have. Like one week our special involved marinara sauce, so I took a fried chicken breast, threw it on the flattop with some mozzarella that we only use for brunch omelettes, stuck it on a roll with some marinara, and made myself a quick and dirty chicken parm sub. We are in no way an Italian place, so I was lauded as being a genius for inventing this dead simple but totally-not-breakfast, totally-not-southern-food sandwich. Everybody wanted one because, yeah, we're all bored to death with the regular menu items.

Couple days ago I had to make pasta salad, and since I already had cherry tomatoes, black olives, spinach, and feta sitting out, I made myself an omelette with it. Drizzled some thick balsamic on it, and it was dope as hell. Now it's this's week's special.

One guy loves making fried pickles; our biscuit maker can't stand the sight of biscuits so she makes BLTs on Texas toast all the time. We're lucky to have the freedom to do whatever. I guess maybe it's different if you're FOH and have to order menu items all the time. I get to play with my food!

Today my KM hosed up making soft-boiled eggs, so I got to take home a dozen hard boileds, gonna make deviled eggs tonight :getin:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone. I quit my job. I'm not gonna be a chef anymore, I'm going to be a Purchasing Manager for a medium sized catering company! I'll still get to play in the kitchen/go do events a day or two a week, but 90% of my job is going to be 9-5 office work. With a decent pay increase. And almost-benefits. And the owner is 100% against her salaried staff working overtime.

And then in a year when the current Purchasing Manager gets back from mat leave I get to decide if I want to be a chef again (of a new space we're moving into in 6 months that will have a restaurant space attached to it), or a GM of a restaurant, or maybe the GM of the entire fuckin' company if I decide that office work is my life and I show that I'm competent.

I'm going to have to find hobbies and start cooking at home again, and I'm scared.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Naelyan posted:

Hey everyone. I quit my job. I'm not gonna be a chef anymore, I'm going to be a Purchasing Manager for a medium sized catering company! I'll still get to play in the kitchen/go do events a day or two a week, but 90% of my job is going to be 9-5 office work. With a decent pay increase. And almost-benefits. And the owner is 100% against her salaried staff working overtime.

And then in a year when the current Purchasing Manager gets back from mat leave I get to decide if I want to be a chef again (of a new space we're moving into in 6 months that will have a restaurant space attached to it), or a GM of a restaurant, or maybe the GM of the entire fuckin' company if I decide that office work is my life and I show that I'm competent.

I'm going to have to find hobbies and start cooking at home again, and I'm scared.

Be like me and try to start your own cottage condiment business in your free time! It's a "hobby" AND you cook at home! :shepicide: (I've been posting so much lately because I've been spending all my time off work making gallons of hot sauce and apple butters and canning, canning, canning. Gotta do something while minding the pots.)

Seriously though, congrats! You deserve some good karma coming back atcha. ;)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I'd rather deep fry my own face than work in another college town kitchen, so I've been in talks lately with farmers to sell sauces/salsas/products made from their own produce. Hopefully I can get it off the ground next year, because my god I don't want to do another football season of lovely food.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I've been considering the costs of getting licensed to be a native winery, and doing mead that only gets sold at farmers' market.

Not sure if there's enough of a market yet, so I'm working on my recipes first since mead takes so much lead time.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

Makes sense from a bloodless HR perspective. If you're on the clock, you're the company's liability. You get hurt crossing the street to get to subway, but are on the clock, you could come back at them.

i'm not an hr expert but i'm pretty sure that if someone is on the clock but not conducting work at the companies direction the employer is not liable

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
of course restaurant owners make policy decisions that have no basis in reality all the time

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also business owners in general :(

i've been having kitchen flashbacks as i try to explain to the boss why we can't retain talent when we pay below industry standards and treat employees like potential criminals

they still don't get it

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

I've been considering the costs of getting licensed to be a native winery, and doing mead that only gets sold at farmers' market.

Not sure if there's enough of a market yet, so I'm working on my recipes first since mead takes so much lead time.

You mind my asking where you live, LC? I ask only because our latest seasonal apple butter flavor is cooked down with local mead (they even raise their own bees!) and they are fans of my product and very nice folks. I could put you in touch with them if you want some direct info from a small meadery that has just stepped up to being sold in stores. Feel free to PM me if you think that might help.

Same for you, PlanZ, I'm happy to offer any advice I can on getting into cottage food industries. I can really only speak for what I know about Virginia cottage food law, but I've taken canning certification so I know a little bit about FDA law and steps you need to take doing high-acid foods like hot sauce and salsas and whatnot, and poo poo like getting your stuff tested for nutrition facts and getting UPCs to get into stores, that sort of thing. The cost of getting into stores has been prohibitive (talking hundreds of dollars just for UPCs), so I'm just doing farmers markets, but I'm still making okay bank doing just that on the side.

I'm no expert, but I'm happy to help any way I can.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It's more a question of where I'll be in two years. My recipes are in early days now, I know they're good, but I need to know if they're good six months from now, and then verify that they scale. That's at least 18 months of work. :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

As Thanksgiving approaches, it's time to reflect on things we're thankful for.

I'm thankful for my health, my loving husband, my friends...

AND THE FACT THAT I JUST DROVE MY CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A YEAR

I wish I could invite each and every one of you to my house tomorrow, I am so thankful for all y'all. I did promise video evidence of me driving her, so you know I didn't just spend the money on hookers and blow*, but it's too dark out right now. I'll get one up soon.

Leftover money is going to go to some odds and ends like new wipers, a car wash, oil change/tune up, a steering wheel cover (my steering wheel was practically crumbling in my hands after baking in the sun all summer), things like that. Also glasses so I can drive without squinting to death.

I really did cry upon getting in the seat and hearing her start up. I... Just... Thank you. Over and over, thank you.

*Okay, on that first drive I did stop by the co-op for a bottle of cheap champagne, because I think the occasion warrants it.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
gently caress yeah.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

I wish I could invite each and every one of you to my house tomorrow, I am so thankful for all y'all. I did promise video evidence of me driving her, so you know I didn't just spend the money on hookers and blow*, but it's too dark out right now. I'll get one up soon.

Leftover money is going to go to some odds and ends like new wipers, a car wash, oil change/tune up, a steering wheel cover (my steering wheel was practically crumbling in my hands after baking in the sun all summer), things like that. Also glasses so I can drive without squinting to death.

I really did cry upon getting in the seat and hearing her start up. I... Just... Thank you. Over and over, thank you.

*Okay, on that first drive I did stop by the co-op for a bottle of cheap champagne, because I think the occasion warrants it.

Happy Holidays!

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

:kimchi:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

... it's too dark out right now. I'll get one up soon.

Never too dark for hookers and blow :toot:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Never too dark for hookers and blow :toot:

That's the name of my Prince cover band!

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Mutual aid is the only thing that’s going to keep this shitshow on stage, JD. I am very happy you’re driving and happy you will be able to see and happy that you sipped some bubble-booze.

Now liberate yourself from your fun-sploitative job and get your money!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

:woop:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Yikes! with your newfound car, go cook in a state with decent labor laws!

Ours out here are basically two ten minute on the clock breaks every 4 hours (or majority time spent spent working, so 2.5 = break), plus one unpaid half hour meal break every 6 hours.

Of course, most people are too busy to take it, but its grounds to ask your employer to reimburse you for the time you got denied.

Seriously, though, good luck. The job hunt begins now.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

I saw someone actually arrested from the hot line around 11 am right during opening, on a friday, in an understaffed restaurant that just lost their star sous chef.

Federal bounty hunters for bailjumping in another state, after like 2-3 weeks on the job, just as they're starting to get the hang of things. Took him away in anklechains and cuffs, and locked the building down front and back until he was out in one piece.

It was the straw that broke the camel's back. Every other runner up for the position had taken other jobs :toot:

(We looked it up later. Apparently it was for a car accident or colission of some kind. Rip that guy.)

Unrelated question. I've heard repeated a lot: almost any restaurant ever runs 30% food cost and 30% labor, +/- a bit if they do something especailly good or awful, but that's the baseline.

What i'm curious about is what's the rough labor percentage for places that notoriously underpay or haven't caught up with inflation yet - how much of a difference does that make in the margins?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'd blow you for dinner, dude. :v:

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's the name of my Prince cover band!
Today my grill dude told me he looked for more bologna cut and portioned in the walk-in, but didn't see any. Our sister store does the meat slicing, so on my next break I walked over (we have to smoke behind their place, we don't have our own backside break area) and found the woman that does that. She had no idea and promised to get some done for us.

I came back and told grill guy, "Hey, I told Miss S about The Bologna Situation" and I guess I said it capitalized like that because our new guy dead panned with a look of shock on his face: "The Bologna Situation? That's the name of my punk band!" then finally cracked up. I like new guy.

So which of you poor souls has to work tomorrow, and who's, like me, enjoying one of the two days a year we close? I have no plans other than to get high, detail MY CAR (ew, I found a mayo packet in the console, so glad that never exploded from heat/freezing over a year), and maybe spend a little of y'all's hard-earned money on some takeout sushi, if I can find a place that's open.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Today my grill dude told me he looked for more bologna cut and portioned in the walk-in, but didn't see any. Our sister store does the meat slicing, so on my next break I walked over (we have to smoke behind their place, we don't have our own backside break area) and found the woman that does that. She had no idea and promised to get some done for us.

I came back and told grill guy, "Hey, I told Miss S about The Bologna Situation" and I guess I said it capitalized like that because our new guy dead panned with a look of shock on his face: "The Bologna Situation? That's the name of my punk band!" then finally cracked up. I like new guy.

So which of you poor souls has to work tomorrow, and who's, like me, enjoying one of the two days a year we close? I have no plans other than to get high, detail MY CAR (ew, I found a mayo packet in the console, so glad that never exploded from heat/freezing over a year), and maybe spend a little of y'all's hard-earned money on some takeout sushi, if I can find a place that's open.

I'm working a Thanksgiving brunch buffet. I've dealt with worse but it won't be fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'm working a Thanksgiving brunch buffet. I've dealt with worse but it won't be fun.

Just remember that most of your customers are probably having a worse day/life than you.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Same for you, PlanZ, I'm happy to offer any advice I can on getting into cottage food industries. I can really only speak for what I know about Virginia cottage food law, but I've taken canning certification so I know a little bit about FDA law and steps you need to take doing high-acid foods like hot sauce and salsas and whatnot, and poo poo like getting your stuff tested for nutrition facts and getting UPCs to get into stores, that sort of thing. The cost of getting into stores has been prohibitive (talking hundreds of dollars just for UPCs), so I'm just doing farmers markets, but I'm still making okay bank doing just that on the side.

I sold sauces on the food truck I worked (I guess Vox can vouch for quality, 45-55% of the sauce recipes were mine). Our local PA laws were not friendly to food trucks so we had to originally work at farmers' markets and local events. Over time, I made good enough connections with farmers that they're all now willing to chip in to show what people can do with their product that I can work something out with them. I just really miss showing up with a wad of profits from the day, walking away with a truck full of produce and meat, then having those same farmers offer to buy my sauces/salsas at retail (after offering a discount) because they couldn't imagine their product could be used to make what I did with it.

On another topic of Thanksgiving buffet. I'll throw out some anonymity and say I worked at the Penn State hotel that's not on the historical registrar and did prep and carving. At a certain point while carving, the line really hit a stall and I could see customers starting to get a little unrestful. One guy held things up for at least a minute or two while he picked craisins out of the stuffing and put them on his plate individually. A 60-something man then said out loud (with the emphasis on loud) "Wait you mean I've been standing here all this time because of that mush-head?" I eventually got a complaint for asking the dude to move along and I could get him more craisins (because gently caress all of the hundreds of other customers that night, the one guy who complained is what mattered). Granted I was like 20 or so, but I tried to be super polite but man if that's not an example of Squeaky Wheels.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress that guy, and gently caress the corporate/owner folk who sided with him.

I'm working tomorrow. But I'm getting sweet double time, and spending 8 hours of PLT to make it triple pay for the day. Girl's gotta pay them bills for initial apartment move and all. I got stuff to buy. Not that I mind really, I'd rather work and make extra money than not do much. I'll probably work Christmas too. Patients and staff gotta eat.

I'm hoping for New Years off. I can enjoy myself in my *own* place then (my move date is the 15th.) And it will be wonderful.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thanksgiving plans.

Sounds dope. I'm gonna order Chinese, get tore up, and watch movies.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Just remember that most of your customers are probably having a worse day/life than you.

It's mostly my own fatigue with school and work and a slow recovery from surgery. Our customers are usually rude in an oblivious way that's easy to blow off but a couple ofnmy coworkers are committed to laziness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

However much it sucks to work on Thanksgiving, almost everyone who comes in doesn't have a Thanksgiving dinner to go to later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

This made my Thanksgiving!