Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coasterphreak posted:

Maybe if we required every citizen to eat out or face a stiff tax penalty the foodservice industry could afford to pay its employees a living wage.

San Francisco is talking about doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

San Francisco also keeps bemoaning the difficulty of getting good help when nobody making under six figures can even afford to rent in the city anymore. But God forbid they fight the NIMBY lobby and build more dense housing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

San Francisco also keeps bemoaning the difficulty of getting good help when nobody making under six figures can even afford to rent in the city anymore. But God forbid they fight the NIMBY lobby and build more dense housing.

I was referring to them talking about maybe trying to stop tech companies from giving free meals to their workers. But yeah, almost no one in the industry there can afford to live there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

To be fair, finding good restaurant employees isn't a uniquely San Francisco problem. Housing in Houston is among the cheapest in the US for major metro areas and restaurants here still have trouble finding good help, both BoH and FoH.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

To be fair, finding good restaurant employees isn't a uniquely San Francisco problem. Housing in Houston is among the cheapest in the US for major metro areas and restaurants here still have trouble finding good help, both BoH and FoH.

They're min wage is stilll 7.*

I wonder if the places that've adapted 15 have as much of an issue.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Wanting someone to weigh in on California labor law here.

I've started working BoH in a kitchen for a taproom, and most of the people working in the kitchen have said that they don't take meal breaks. They're saying it's fine because they signed a meal break waiver. But... I know for a fact most of them work 7-8 hour shifts, and you can legally only waive the meal break if you're working 6 hours or less, no? So, uh... shouldn't they all be owed an hour of pay for every 30 minute meal break they've skipped out on?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olive! posted:

I've started working BoH in a kitchen for a taproom, and most of the people working in the kitchen have said that they don't take meal breaks. They're saying it's fine because they signed a meal break waiver. But... I know for a fact most of them work 7-8 hour shifts, and you can legally only waive the meal break if you're working 6 hours or less, no? So, uh... shouldn't they all be owed an hour of pay for every 30 minute meal break they've skipped out on?

Welcome to standard industry practices, unfortunately :smith:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
...it's pointless to bring this up to anyone, isn't it. :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Olive! posted:

Yes they should. There's also sadly a real chance of you losing your job if you bring it up. Or people get pissed at you because they genuinely would much rather work through their meal breaks and get that 1/2 hour of pay over sitting on their rear end not being paid for half an hour.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

This is probably a question for MAKE NO BABBYS. I'm not sure if she's still in that area (or even still in the industry), but for awhile she was managing a couple places in the Bay Area. The bottom line of course is that as long as the employees are making enough to pay their bills and afford the lifestyle they want in that area then it's doable. The real question becomes how many restaurants can either afford to pay their people enough or draw enough in tips (for FOH) to stay staffed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Olive! posted:

...it's pointless to bring this up to anyone, isn't it. :smith:

Dept of Labor?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I've looked further into it. As far as I can tell, everyone's being provided breaks and only choosing not to take them, which is perfectly legal? As long as they're not specifically being pressured by the employer to not take them.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I thought california law made breaks mandatory, and got both the employer and employee in trouble if you DIDN'T take them?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Olive! posted:

I've looked further into it. As far as I can tell, everyone's being provided breaks and only choosing not to take them, which is perfectly legal? As long as they're not specifically being pressured by the employer to not take them.

"legal" only rly matters if there are protections for workers who report the violations and, speaking as a cook in an at-will employment state, lol

i can say with certainty that i have never taken a 30 mins break during a shift in 5 years of working in the industry

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

AFAIK for an 8 hour day they’re mandatory, and if people aren’t getting them or getting paid the extra compensation it’s wage theft.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 22, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 24, 2019

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

TheParadigm posted:

I thought california law made breaks mandatory, and got both the employer and employee in trouble if you DIDN'T take them?

That's what I was thinking with my line of reasoning, but I've also seen some stuff about this:

quote:

In 2012, the California Supreme Court decided an important meal and rest break case, Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Superior Court.

The question of whether employers must ensure breaks are taken or must simply provide breaks has been a source of significant litigation in both federal and state courts.

The California Supreme Court ultimately ruled in Brinker's favor on the most critical part of the decision – holding that employers do not have to ensure employees take their meal breaks. Once the meal period is provided, there is no duty to police meal breaks to ensure no work is being done.

quote:

Brinker Restaurant Corp. v. Superior Court (2012) 53 Cal.4th 1004, 1017. ("On the most contentious of these, the nature of an employer's duty to provide meal periods, we conclude an employer's obligation is to relieve its employee of all duty, with the employee thereafter at liberty to use the meal period for whatever purpose he or she desires, but the employer need not ensure that no work is done.")

So :shrug:. I'm going to continue taking breaks for the sake of my physical health.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Or people get pissed at you because they genuinely would much rather work through their meal breaks

gently caress those people. Setting unrealistic expectations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
came across this today while browsing the internet on my lunch break (my office job means i can actually take these), and this line popped out at me

quote:

One of my regulars told me to look at Zagat to find restaurants, so I biked to Barnes and Noble after my shift and looked for the red book. Then I knocked on the door at the French restaurant Bastide. I interned at Bastide for three months, but they said they couldn’t hire me because I didn’t go to culinary school.

it made me really angry that the article glosses over this like it's an acceptable part of the hard work it to takes to break into the industry instead of someone stealing three months of this persons labor. this isn't even touching on the practice of staging itself, but if they knew they were never going to hire her because she hadn't been to culinary school, why have her work? if they wanted to give her a trial period before making a hiring decision, how is three months a reasonable period of time?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

The General posted:

gently caress those people. Setting unrealistic expectations.

It's easy to say that, but it's also easy to forget that a lot of people are worried about their families livelihoods.

Like, sure, when people feel like they have to work through lunch it makes things worse for everyone, but also they're scared that they won't be able to put a roof over their kid's head, and that's why they do it, and we should be cognizant of that and not push the blame onto the victims

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

idiotsavant posted:

https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/FAQ_MealPeriods.htm

AFAIK for an 8 hour day they’re mandatory, and if people aren’t getting them or getting paid the extra compensation it’s wage theft.

haha i wondered why my shifts were mostly 7.5 hours lately

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Stalizard posted:

It's easy to say that, but it's also easy to forget that a lot of people are worried about their families livelihoods.

Like, sure, when people feel like they have to work through lunch it makes things worse for everyone, but also they're scared that they won't be able to put a roof over their kid's head, and that's why they do it, and we should be cognizant of that and not push the blame onto the victims

It's also easy to forget that those same people might simply rather spend that extra half an hour a day with their families and not forced to sit and bullshit in a room off the clock with people they probably hate.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Uh, they're not getting off any earlier. Unless you consider the kitchen staff 'family'.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

San Francisco is talking about doing that.

Eh, sort of but not really. It was a tax on tech company cafeterias because they're killing off other food service businesses. Other cities are trying to ban doordash/instacart/whathaveyou because they're killing off local markets. It's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Yes, we absolutely do and the next jump to 15.75 isnt going to help either.

I made six figures as a restaurant manager in SF and I was still underpaid and overworked and live with two roommates and my soon to be husband and I live in separate houses because we can't find one that we can afford to move into together. I moved to consulting & brand work but I still oversee some bar stuff for my old restaurant and am paid $45 an hour for that workand am still wildly undercompensatedn for this market.

Olive! posted:

TheParadigm posted:

SF has stricter laws, but any employment attorney would have a field day. File a DoL complaint and get a sweet sweet check for all the fines about to be levied on your employer. If you are not clocked out by hour six on the dot for a break, you are owed an extra hour of wages due to the lack of break.Those fines compound each day that extra hour is unpaid, as well. Your taproom may be looking at a multi million dollar settlement for labor law violations, at least they would in SF. I haven't looked at CA law in general because SF is so much stricter/restrictive, but the break laws are based on juris prudence as well as legislation so I imagine they apply statewide.

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 25, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Eh, sort of but not really. It was a tax on tech company cafeterias because they're killing off other food service businesses. Other cities are trying to ban doordash/instacart/whathaveyou because they're killing off local markets. It's rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The biggest problem with the various delivery services is that they destroy carry out business and their cut is pretty much all of the profit margin.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Tech cash gentrification locations like SF are sort of a special case in that the disparities of cost are so completely pointlessly absurd that they make the already horrendous stratification and costing of other urban areas. Pay increases in those areas are good, but the land use and capital poo poo and voter prop garbage going on in CA in particular has created a whole terrifying dystopian hellscape that is very difficult to address. CA has all the problems of other urban areas, cranked to 15, with additional layers of madness on top.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

came across this today while browsing the internet on my lunch break (my office job means i can actually take these), and this line popped out at me

it made me really angry that the article glosses over this like it's an acceptable part of the hard work it to takes to break into the industry instead of someone stealing three months of this persons labor. this isn't even touching on the practice of staging itself, but if they knew they were never going to hire her because she hadn't been to culinary school, why have her work? if they wanted to give her a trial period before making a hiring decision, how is three months a reasonable period of time?

It's not acceptable. Its dishonest, and its arrogant. It can work out for people though if they see it as an investment. I know a guy who did a 3 month unpaid stint at NOMA. He returned and started putting out nothing but high-end degustation/tasting menus. He's become sort of a local celebrity. However, he had to come out of pocket something like $20,000 for that experience when you consider travel cost, living arrangements, and unpaid wages. It might make sense to some people who have Michelin stars in their eyes, but otherwise its arrogant old-school bullshit. Unless you are learning something every day and being treated with respect and dignity. I used to get really upset with my other sous when I worked gastro-pub. He would bring in a new CDP to stage and just use them to fill a spot to pad labor. No intention of hiring anyone but just stagaires lined up nearly every shift. gently caress that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Discendo Vox posted:

Tech cash gentrification locations like SF are sort of a special case in that the disparities of cost are so completely pointlessly absurd that they make the already horrendous stratification and costing of other urban areas. Pay increases in those areas are good, but the land use and capital poo poo and voter prop garbage going on in CA in particular has created a whole terrifying dystopian hellscape that is very difficult to address. CA has all the problems of other urban areas, cranked to 15, with additional layers of madness on top.

I used to be a student at San Francisco City College and a bunch of professors were making nearly 2 hour trips to get to class. If someone with a PhD can barely make it here then working a restaurant is pure hell.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
As long as they're paying the credit missing breaks is fine but my company mandates that you take the break and wants me to write people up if they don't because they don't want to pay the credit.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I was pissed the holiday screwed up our deliveries over the weekend but this morning I came in to a walk-in temping 58 degrees so thank god I didn't have to throw a bunch of stuff away.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Republicans posted:

I was pissed the holiday screwed up our deliveries over the weekend but this morning I came in to a walk-in temping 58 degrees so thank god I didn't have to throw a bunch of stuff away.

Oof.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Republicans posted:

One nightclub I ran had a walk-in with a condenser 4 floors away. That was really fun when it went out one weekend and had to get the repair guys out to find the leak and repair it and recharge it. I don't remember how much refrigerant it required but holy hell was that expensive.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

One nightclub I ran had a walk-in with a condenser 4 floors away. That was really fun when it went out one weekend and had to get the repair guys out to find the leak and repair it and recharge it. I don't remember how much refrigerant it required but holy hell was that expensive.

I worked in a kitchen at one point where the condenser was downstairs and the mains fridge used to degas itself while we where closed on a Monday which would mean the all of the meat had spoiled in the fridge that was sitting at 20C for a day. The fridgey my bosses used would just fill it with gas everytime it’d fail and did this for close to 2 years before it was looked at properly.
They’d check for a leak but cause it was degassed the leak wouldn’t show. When they finally looked for it, it appeared in the actual fridge unit and nowhere in the run between it and the condenser downstairs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

To a certain level of "rude" I prefer rude to funny customers.

https://twitter.com/DynamoNestico/status/1133810697400401921?s=19

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

My favorite customer story is still the couple that tried to steal a photo off the wall. It wasn't a celebrity signed photo or anything, it was a giant framed print of Houston from like the 30s, we caught them about 2 blocks away.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

My favorite customer story is still the couple that tried to steal a photo off the wall. It wasn't a celebrity signed photo or anything, it was a giant framed print of Houston from like the 30s, we caught them about 2 blocks away.

I never did it, but I wanted to steal some framed posters out of the bathroom of a bar I used to be a regular at (for different anniversary parties of the bar). And then they just disappeared one day, so I hope they ended up in hands of one of the employees who worked that anniversary.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

twitter found an old friend:
https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1133935564099469312

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Oh. Oh no not that one again. Please no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I worked at a nursery home kitchen and the amount of old men who forget to wear pants is very worrying