Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just from No Reservations and Heat, it's clear that Batali is an egomaniac and a functional addict. That's why his name immediately popped in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Ugh... Not Mario.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Well this news sucks, as I've watched a lot of Batali's cooking shows on TV and youtube and unequivocally incorporate much of his advice to this very day. There truly are no heroes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm saddened but not surprised by this news. Heroes don't exist.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
As soon as I saw that tweet I knew it was Batali. gently caress.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If it turns out Chef John is like a child sex slave ringleader in his spare time or something I don't think I could take this world anymore.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Skwirl posted:

Thankfully I live in California so our laws would take precedent, but Jesus Christ that'd probably gently caress over a lot of people in the midwest.

Here's the actual proposed rule change:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2017-25802.pdf

quote:

The Department of Labor (Department) is proposing to rescind portions of its tip
regulations issued pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act that impose restrictions on
employers that pay a direct cash wage of at least the full federal minimum wage and do not seek
to use a portion of tips as a credit toward their minimum wage obligations.

So first off this doesn't affect most servers at all, only those that actually get directly paid an hourly wage that's higher than the minimum wage. If it's like most restaurants and they get an hourly wage that's lower than the minimum, tip pooling was allowed by law, but limited to only those employees that customarily received tips. The proposed rule is that in a case where the employer's paying that staff higher than the minimum wage directly, now it can tip pool and include employees that don't customarily receive tips. The proposed rule is also a walkback of a previous rule that multiple courts have ruled the Department of Labor didn't have the authority to make.

quote:

The Department has taken into account the changed landscape and extensive litigation since
promulgating its 2011 Final Rule. In that regard, the dissent to the denial of the petition for
rehearing en banc in ORLA is notable, not only because of the force of that opinion but also
because it drew the support of nine other judges in the Ninth Circuit. After considering the
ORLA rehearing dissent and the Tenth Circuit’s decision in Marlow, both of which state that the
Department’s 2011 Final Rule exceeded the agency’s authority under section 3(m), the
Department is reconsidering its regulations to the extent that they apply to employers that pay a
direct wage of at least the Federal minimum wage and do not claim a credit based on tips to
satisfy their minimum wage obligation. The Department has serious concerns that it incorrectly
construed the statute in promulgating its current regulations, the scope of which extends to
employers that have paid the full Federal minimum wage to their tipped employees, particularly
insofar as those employers, rather than taking the tips for their own purposes, provide for such
tips to be shared with other employees through a tip pool. The Department also has independent
and serious concerns about those regulations as a policy matter. In particular, the Department
seeks to remove prohibitions on sharing tips with employees who do not customarily and
regularly receive tips—including restaurant cooks, dishwashers, and other traditionally lowerwage
job classifications—when their employer does not take a tip credit under FLSA section
3(m) and all employees are paid at least the full Federal minimum wage. In light of all of these
factors, the Department is proposing to rescind the parts of its tip regulations that apply to
employers that pay a direct cash wage of at least the full Federal minimum wage and do not take
a tip credit against their minimum wage obligations.

Wroughtirony posted:

Lest anyone is confused, $7.25/hr is nowhere near a living wage anywhere in the US, and that would be the wage at which employers could begin to take tips away to "redistribute" them.

They can do that now, they just can't do it and distribute the money to BOH.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Field Mousepad posted:

As soon as I saw that tweet I knew it was Batali. gently caress.

Don't forget he used to have noted terrible person Anne Burrell as his sous on ICA.

Really, after reading Heat, this coming out about him was just a matter of time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Midniter posted:

I'm saddened but not surprised by this news. Heroes don't exist.

it's insanely easy to not sexually assault people

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
considering the prevailing atmosphere in most kitchens it almost feels like cheating to single out one dude, like "oh THIS guy? we got him! we got that one remarkable chef who's been sexually assaulting people suboordinate to him!" Like, okay, sure: Groping is bad. Creeping on people is bad. It needs to be called out as a bad thing, as is being done.

So what about the time I'm on day 3 of a new gig, walk up to see my station pitted and shitted for the third day in a row, hunt down the chef to have a word over it and catch him having an intimate moment in dry storage with the cook whose unwillingness/inability to wipe down a countertop suddenly made a lot more sense?

The entire industry's attitude needs to be reformed with napalm. Lets not pretend everyone ITT doesn't have more examples of lovely harasssing behavior than they got fingers to count 'em on.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that opinion is 100% transferrable to Hollywood or politics or whatever else, btw. It's a good thing that big examples are being called out and shamed, but there's a lot of far more egregious stuff that still flies under the radar because the harasser isn't literally Harvey Weinstein and the story of such isn't as good clickbait for news articles or twitter ratio and such. The reason it seems all these big names are doing dirt is because when they were small-to-middling names that poo poo was and remains drat near obligatory

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JawKnee posted:

it's insanely easy to not sexually assault people

You're absolutely right, but with fame and the massive amounts of ego owned by the types of people who achieve such fame, it seems to be all too common and is no longer surprising.

I'll know that our society has reached its tipping point when Anderson Cooper is accused of sexual harassment.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Willie Tomg posted:

that opinion is 100% transferrable to Hollywood or politics or whatever else, btw. It's a good thing that big examples are being called out and shamed, but there's a lot of far more egregious stuff that still flies under the radar because the harasser isn't literally Harvey Weinstein and the story of such isn't as good clickbait for news articles or twitter ratio and such. The reason it seems all these big names are doing dirt is because when they were small-to-middling names that poo poo was and remains drat near obligatory

It can create an atmosphere where more people are willing to come out, Like I'm sure there's still a lot of abusers in Hollywood, but because of the Weinstein story , other people came forward about Kevin Spacey and Brett Ratner and others. I'm betting part of the reason Batali's accusers came forward is because they saw that one New Orleans restaurateur actually face consequences for all the horrendous poo poo going on in his restaurants.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Timby posted:

Don't forget he used to have noted terrible person Anne Burrell as his sous on ICA.

Really, after reading Heat, this coming out about him was just a matter of time.

Wait, what has Burrell done?

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I can still like Jacques Pepin, right? He's like the Mr Rogers of cooks

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It can create an atmosphere where more people are willing to come out, Like I'm sure there's still a lot of abusers in Hollywood, but because of the Weinstein story , other people came forward about Kevin Spacey and Brett Ratner and others. I'm betting part of the reason Batali's accusers came forward is because they saw that one New Orleans restaurateur actually face consequences for all the horrendous poo poo going on in his restaurants.

Definitely, yes. It's really important! I guess I'm just frustrated by that liminal space after a few high profile cases get exposure, but before broad cultural and institutional change has truly begun to get underway as people :thunk: about things they've known have been issues for years.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Willie Tomg posted:

The reason it seems all these big names are doing dirt is because when they were small-to-middling names that poo poo was and remains drat near obligatory

I am with you, but I gotta re-characterize that last statement. “Obligatory” is closer to “permitted” by which I mean “not actively discouraged by terminations for acts that range from tasteless for a man in power to afflict on people without power to sexual assault”. I suggest the thread to this excellent framing of the “boys will be boys” culture people feel the need to excuse or distance themselves from- https://www.gq.com/story/mario-batali-harassment-response

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

that poo poo was and remains drat near obligatory

nah. should have had the loving courage to not be pieces of poo poo

you're not a hero if you don't sexually assault someone, you're just being what a normal loving person should be

The Midniter posted:

You're absolutely right, but with fame and the massive amounts of ego owned by the types of people who achieve such fame, it seems to be all too common and is no longer surprising.

power isn't a drug, these people were acting well within their right minds if that's all they were tripping on

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Crimes against hair-doos

e: Haircrimes and misdoomeanors

Thumposaurus fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 11, 2017

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

The point of "singling out" any one guy is that "it's the whole culture" should never be an excuse for even one assault. One attacker out of a thousand facing consequences is better than zero out of a thousand.

Every female chef I know has stories. Most of us have lots of stories. Some of them will break your heart, some of them will turn your stomach, and most of them don't ever get told unless we're talking to each other.

In the past, the conversation that started with "the whole culture is hosed up" ended with "it will never change until there are real consequences."

The introduction of real consequences is a step forward. We shouldn't wait until we manage to hold everyone accountable at once to start holding anyone accountable at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As a man working front of house I hear stories from women working front of house about men in the kitchen and I never know what to do with the information. I encourage them to talk to management (though at some places I've worked I know that would have been useless) and there's been times I've wanted to talk to management but I couldn't because it would have been betraying a friend's trust.

Also, and this is a very minor gripe in the scheme of things, but (and I was happy to do this for my friends, even though it's annoying) I would do a certain portion of other people's side work because they didn't want to go into the walk-in when certain people were in the kitchen.

Edit: I'm not trying to single out BOH, probably FOH women aren't as willing to share horrible stories about FOH men with other FOH men, but I'm sure those exist.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 12, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
How apropos: Just got done talking with an overnight dishwasher who's getting harassed by male coworkers at night AND getting her schedule hosed with. Time to see how toothy the HR department is. Faaaaaaannnnntastic.

boys are just gross as hell

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 12, 2017

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We've had a FoH being sexually assaulted by a customer.

There are regulars who we make sure the FoH women don't have to deal with because they are serial pests.

e: the person who did the assault is banned. The regulars unfortunately don't cross the threshold set by my boss for banning (yet).

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I’ve constantly had my servers complain to me in private but are scared to tell because management tends to back each other. We even once went as far as providing proof that one manager was going into the till (video evidence) and taking the bartenders tips when she was out for a smoke, and they still stood by him.

I can understand why a lot of staff are scared to bring up issues in a climate like that.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
it's almost like hospitality is poo poo and there is a toxic undercurrent of loving your staff (figuratively and literally), and society generally gives no shits because all they want is the best food at the lowest price in the shortest amount of time.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Verbally abused the poo poo out of her female employees to the point they sued her.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

virinvictus posted:

I’ve constantly had my servers complain to me in private but are scared to tell because management tends to back each other. We even once went as far as providing proof that one manager was going into the till (video evidence) and taking the bartenders tips when she was out for a smoke, and they still stood by him.

I can understand why a lot of staff are scared to bring up issues in a climate like that.

Why on earth would you keep working someplace where management is openly stealing from workers?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Why on earth would you keep working someplace where management is openly stealing from workers?

Because sometimes the only other option is not having money for rent or food. Capitalism sucks.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Because sometimes the only other option is not having money for rent or food. Capitalism sucks.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Living in Northern Ontario kinda sucks, lol.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Having a shared antagonist in the weather provides a sense of community and solidarity in opposition to The Long Night.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
( I kinda don't miss needing an antisuicide lamp to get past late January though)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Living in Northern Ontario kinda sucks, lol.

As someone in Texas who just got snow for the first time in over a decade: :stare:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

As someone in Texas who just got snow for the first time in over a decade: :stare:

Meanwhile it’s 65 degrees in December in the Colorado mountains :thunk:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Hauki posted:

Meanwhile it’s 65 degrees in December in the Colorado mountains :thunk:

It feels like 90 here in LA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Another one:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/dining/ken-friedman-sexual-harassment.html

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
The industry is gonna be shook up, that much is certain.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

One can hope

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

virinvictus posted:

The industry is gonna be shook up, that much is certain.

The industry isn't a handful of celebrity chefs. The industry is hotels and Compass Group, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The industry isn't a handful of celebrity chefs. The industry is hotels and Compass Group, etc.

I meant I hope that it pushes servers and cooks to actually report this s*** going down rather than whispering about it over prep tables.