Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I can't decide if bitching about tails on shrimp is the gooniest thing or Americanest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Sorry for all the sexual harassment, here’s a recipe I thought you’d like

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 16, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed. If it's something like shrimp cocktail, leave the half-tails on for a handle. If it's a shrimp boil, leave on all the heads and legs and everything, I don't care. But if it's in pasta, gently caress that, I don't want to reach into my pasta and get sauce all over my hands every two minutes.

Cover the tables with paper if you're going to serve seafood with shells imo.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Context aside, I wouldn't mind eating some of those right about now.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I love how the only thing he actually apologizes for is disappointing others.

I mean, I get that he has to walk a line legally regarding admitting to specific things that might end up in a lawsuit/trial, but come on.

It's like if my Uber driver intentionally ran over three hobos during the course of the ride and then apologized to me for the bumpy ride and said that he hopes I can still give him five stars.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I get the guy is probably on contract to do that piece and doesn't wanna walk away from people still willing to do business, but the non-apology-apology that seems to accompany all these situations never fails to pour gasoline on the fire.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed. If it's something like shrimp cocktail, leave the half-tails on for a handle. If it's a shrimp boil, leave on all the heads and legs and everything, I don't care. But if it's in pasta, gently caress that, I don't want to reach into my pasta and get sauce all over my hands every two minutes.

This whole thing was prompted by shrimp in a pasta dish, in a relatively fine dining setting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Discendo Vox posted:

This whole thing was prompted by shrimp in a pasta dish, in a relatively fine dining setting.
Yes, that's why I'm agreeing with you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thought this was about Batali for a few seconds

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey all I'm a dinning room manager in a retirement community looking to change the reservation system from paper and pen to something on a tablet with online functionality. We want people to be able to walk in and use the app on the tablet or on their phones. Any suggestions? Anybody worked with the open table app on the restaurant end? Ease of use is key.

It's fairly upscale and the residents have a lot of input about opperations. Sometimes that's a good thing but in the case of the reservation system it's pure madness. There's a pre-sign up at seven in the morning policed by the residents, and then residents need to show up at one pm when we put out the reservation book and residents get access to the book in the order they signed up at the pre sign up. I don't know how we got here (new job) but nobody wants to talk about it and everyone hates it. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

My boss: "what's up with this post it note that says 'ask the goons?'.":confused:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Hey all I'm a dinning room manager in a retirement community looking to change the reservation system from paper and pen to something on a tablet with online functionality. We want people to be able to walk in and use the app on the tablet or on their phones. Any suggestions? Anybody worked with the open table app on the restaurant end? Ease of use is key.

It's fairly upscale and the residents have a lot of input about opperations. Sometimes that's a good thing but in the case of the reservation system it's pure madness. There's a pre-sign up at seven in the morning policed by the residents, and then residents need to show up at one pm when we put out the reservation book and residents get access to the book in the order they signed up at the pre sign up. I don't know how we got here (new job) but nobody wants to talk about it and everyone hates it. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

My boss: "what's up with this post it note that says 'ask the goons?'.":confused:

Holy poo poo that sounds awful.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Good Lord quit that hell hole.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
So you have reservations for making reservations? And no control over the first set of reservations? :laffo:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

BBQ Dave posted:

Thank you for posting my change management nightmare. Olds+Food+Stakeholder Control+Existing Madness. I don't have any experience with app-based reservation systems, but I can tell you whatever you go with will be an absurd and uphill battle to get buy-in from your residents. Any app-based system will cut out their morning self-policing.

I want to make sure I have a handle on your current system. These are reservations for a daily dinner service? There's a queue list that's made first come-first served at 7am, but doesn't actually make it into the system until 1pm (when the book comes out)?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah but has anyone tried making those cinnamon pizza dough rolls yet?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's lovely to put an explicit percent on a restaurant bill for poo poo like that, it's management trying to drive a wedge between the customers and the employees. I don't know what the price points are at that restaurant but if it just takes a 3.5% surcharge to pay for health care that should be easy to fold into the menu price.

What what what? What is this nonsense?

SF City Mandate allows us to charge the guest up to 5% on the check total to offset the cost of healthcare for employees. That’s why all 140 (soon to be ~185 when new venture opens) of my employees who work more than 25hrs per week have full healthcare coverage. Health care percentages on bills are hugely necessary and valuable.

How the gently caress you think that’s “management driving a wedge between employee and guest” is beyond me. Food that is raised for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare, cooked for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare and served to you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare SHOULD be expensive. The guest should pay for it and should know that’s what they’re paying for. Time & time again restaurants try to blindly fold it into menu cost and guests revolt.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

BBQ Dave posted:

As someone who once worked in a retirement community dining room, every single element of the dining experience is all about reinforcing the pecking order amongst the residents and nothing else. I would bet a lot of money that the reservation book looks exactly the same every night with the same seating arrangements and times repeating into infinity until one day there's a huge loving row about who got the last profiteroles and the next day Mr Doppler has to sit by himself but he has no idea why.

You don't want the hassle of retirement community drama so just stay out of it. Establish some residents' committee that will handle disputes and then use whatever system will let people book months in advance and prepare for an insane amount of backlash because the residents will hate it and they will complain to the top executive of your facility and tell them what a lovely job you're doing so you should probably get them on board with whatever you choose first.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What what what? What is this nonsense?

SF City Mandate allows us to charge the guest up to 5% on the check total to offset the cost of healthcare for employees. That’s why all 140 (soon to be ~185 when new venture opens) of my employees who work more than 25hrs per week have full healthcare coverage. Health care percentages on bills are hugely necessary and valuable.

How the gently caress you think that’s “management driving a wedge between employee and guest” is beyond me. Food that is raised for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare, cooked for you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare and served to you by people who are paid a living wage & have healthcare SHOULD be expensive. The guest should pay for it and should know that’s what they’re paying for. Time & time again restaurants try to blindly fold it into menu cost and guests revolt.

I think you misunderstood.

Paying for employees to get healthcare = good.

Dropping a sign on each individual guest that says "YOUR MEAL COSTS EXTRA BECAUSE THESE PEONS WANT ASTHMA MEDICATION" is unnecessarily contentious. You might be happy to pay $25 incl. for your meal but you might be also be annoyed at paying $16 for your meal, $2 taxes, $2 for healthcare, $2 for service, $2 for rehoming lost little kittens, and $1 air tax. Or whatever that place's douchey owner puts on there.

Like how annoying it is when you read an itemized hospital bill and learn that those extra blankets you asked for because hospital blankets are made out of one ply toilet paper cost you $45/night.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 18, 2017

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Dropping a sign on each individual guest that says "YOUR MEAL COSTS EXTRA BECAUSE THESE PEONS WANT ASTHMA MEDICATION" is unnecessarily contentious. You might be happy to pay $25 incl. for your meal but you might be also be annoyed at paying $16 for your meal, $2 taxes, $2 for healthcare, $2 for service, $2 for rehoming lost little kittens, and $1 air tax. Or whatever that place's douchey owner puts on there.

Like how annoying it is when you read an itemized hospital bill and learn that those extra blankets you asked for because hospital blankets are made out of one ply toilet paper cost you $45/night.

Nah; people deserve an itemized bill, the same way that they deserve one for what they ordered. That isn’t the reaction of our guests unless they’re super wingnuts. I’ve dealt with mayyyyyybe two questioning emails in more than two years. Every once in a while you’ll see a yelp from an out of towner mentioning it, but it’s rare. Make it mandatory, make it universal in an area, no one balls and honestly, anyone that would is trash anyhow.

E: hence the part of my post that said “SHOULD be expensive. The guest should pay for it and should know that’s what they’re paying for. Time & time again restaurants try to blindly fold it into menu cost and guests revolt.”

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nah; people deserve an itemized bill, the same way that they deserve one for what they ordered.
People would lose their minds over itemized bills. Can you imagine giving a bill that said "wings 50¢, sauce 5¢, rent $5, insurance $2.50, wages $5, exterminator $1"? Why is health insurance the only thing to break out?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

People would lose their minds over itemized bills. Can you imagine giving a bill that said "wings 50¢, sauce 5¢, rent $5, insurance $2.50, wages $5, exterminator $1"? Why is health insurance the only thing to break out?

Because it’s a percentage that’s calculated based on a percentage of the bill total rather than a flat amount? Rent/food cost/wages aren’t a percentage of a guest’s bill. Because it’s required by city law? Because that’s how receipts work?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

Also why doesn't this idea apply to any other industry? Would you expect to see an health insurance charge on the bill for your oil change? Or at the grocery store? How about a gym membership?

Restaurants putting an itemized health insurance charge on a bill isn't them nobly telling customers what they're paying for or virtuously showing that they treat their employees well - it's a way for them to sour the public on the idea that businesses should have a responsibility to provide benefits to their employees.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crazy Larry posted:

Also why doesn't this idea apply to any other industry? Would you expect to see an health insurance charge on the bill for your oil change? Or at the grocery store? How about a gym membership?

Restaurants putting an itemized health insurance charge on a bill isn't them nobly telling customers what they're paying for or virtuously showing that they treat their employees well - it's a way for them to sour the public on the idea that businesses should have a responsibility to provide benefits to their employees.

I'm pretty sure it's more of a "we add this charge to ensure our employees have health insurance. If you are an utter piece of poo poo you can have this removed."

I liked it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm pretty sure it's more of a "we add this charge to ensure our employees have health insurance. If you are an utter piece of poo poo you can have this removed."

I liked it.

And why not just increase the price presented to the customer by 5%, instead of lying about how much it costs and springing an extra charge on the end?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Tunicate posted:

And why not just increase the price presented to the customer by 5%, instead of lying about how much it costs and springing an extra charge on the end?

There's no springing. It's on the website, the menu, the reservation form, the reservation confirmation email, the reminder email etc.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

BBQ Dave posted:

Wait... so these old people have to show up to your restaurant three different times every time they want to eat there? 7am, 1pm and then 6pm or whatever?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Disargeria posted:

Wait... so these old people have to show up to your restaurant three different times every time they want to eat there? 7am, 1pm and then 6pm or whatever?

It's the restaurant in the retirement community. But yes. Also as someone who has a grandmother in one of those said communities, most of them show up at the "restaurant" more often than that every day anyway.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I liked it.

So if the customer complains hard enough the employees don't get healthcare anyways?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pile of brown posted:

So if the customer complains hard enough the employees don't get healthcare anyways?

That seems like pretty explicitly passing the buck so that the customer and the worker can blame each other while management just doesn't pay for healthcare and drops that money in the bank.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

The get healthcare regardless.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

pile of brown posted:

Yeah this. I lurk this thread because I don't work in the restaurant industry but as a customer that is annoying as poo poo. Airlines do that poo poo too so the price estimate on the website is as low as possible. Put the prices you need to charge to pay a fair wage and benefits and don't gently caress with the bill like that. If I see a restaurant doing that I'll pay the bill and never come back again.

It's not about not wanting restaurant employees to get healthcare. Everyone should have healthcare. It's about charging more than what's on the menu for one of many costs to run a restaurant. We going to get tablecloth, clean dish, food supplier delivery fees next? Doesn't matter if they note the change everywhere, it's still deceptive because it's obscuring the actual cost behind ticky-tack bullshit.

Now if it's city law that they have to do this there's no need to get pissy at the restaurant it's just a really weird way to get more people in the city healthcare because this country is dumb. But if it's at the owner's behest it is just an attempt to trick and exploit customers and hide it behind some sense of altruism.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

We going to get tablecloth, clean dish, food supplier delivery fees next? Doesn't matter if they note the change everywhere, it's still deceptive because it's obscuring the actual cost behind ticky-tack bullshit.

Wait, what? Telling you the *actual cost* is *obscuring* the actual cost?

Giving me a line-item for health care costs seems arbitrary as hell. I mean, the cost of a meal isn't broken down into food cost, labor cost, there's not a line item on the bill for my little share of getting the garbage hauled away. All that stuff is just baked into the price on the menu so it's difficult to argue that healthcare costs should be. But at the same time, it's sure af not obscuring the cost to put that cost right there on a line. It's like saying having a line item for taxes obscures the actual cost. It doesn't. It does the opposite.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Yeah this. I lurk this thread because I don't work in the restaurant industry but as a customer that is annoying as poo poo. Airlines do that poo poo too so the price estimate on the website is as low as possible. Put the prices you need to charge to pay a fair wage and benefits and don't gently caress with the bill like that. If I see a restaurant doing that I'll pay the bill and never come back again.

It's not about not wanting restaurant employees to get healthcare. Everyone should have healthcare. It's about charging more than what's on the menu for one of many costs to run a restaurant. We going to get tablecloth, clean dish, food supplier delivery fees next? Doesn't matter if they note the change everywhere, it's still deceptive because it's obscuring the actual cost behind ticky-tack bullshit.

Now if it's city law that they have to do this there's no need to get pissy at the restaurant it's just a really weird way to get more people in the city healthcare because this country is dumb. But if it's at the owner's behest it is just an attempt to trick and exploit customers and hide it behind some sense of altruism.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There's no springing. It's on the website, the menu, the reservation form, the reservation confirmation email, the reminder email etc.

:shrug:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Unless I misunderstood what we're discussing, in which case feel free to ignore me completely, it's an added percentage cost on top of the price, not listed with the food. If you go into a store and buy a chair or whatever and then they throw on top of the $10 tag a healthcare cost, restock cost, picking nose fee, and at the end it's $14 it's a deceptive practice even if they have a sign because it makes it extremely difficult to estimate the true cost and it makes your product appear more competitive than it actually is. The listed price is not the real price. With sales tax everyone is used to it, service fees are more irritating but they have a reason behind them. But the more inconsistent fees added to the end, whether it's flat or percentage, the more deceptive the pricing practice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I think tipping is stupid, agree/disagree

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Unless I misunderstood what we're discussing, in which case feel free to ignore me completely, it's an added percentage cost on top of the price, not listed with the food. If you go into a store and buy a chair or whatever and then they throw on top of the $10 tag a healthcare cost, restock cost, picking nose fee, and at the end it's $14 it's a deceptive practice even if they have a sign because it makes it extremely difficult to estimate the true cost and it makes your product appear more competitive than it actually is. The listed price is not the real price. With sales tax everyone is used to it, service fees are more irritating but they have a reason behind them. But the more inconsistent fees added to the end, whether it's flat or percentage, the more deceptive the pricing practice.

That's fair but if they have a bunch of signs saying there is a fee of 3% on every purchase for whatever reason then who cares? Also I spent 300 bucks on dinner I don't give a poo poo if they charge me 10 more dollars so my waiter can see the doctor and baking it into the cost doesn't matter.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hauki posted:

Holy poo poo that sounds awful.

Maybe I've been working in the nine circles of hell up to this point but I like the job quite a bit. I get to serve the same people every day, makes it easier to get it right.

I moved to a new city, got started in the kitchen as a "cook I", took a look around at the talent I was working with and realized it'd be years and years before I moved up. Real wake up call. I'd been supervising a deli in a small town before that, introducing some new ideas here and there, cooking for fun, never worked in a real kitchen before. To paraphrase the mighty monarch "I thought I was hot poo poo in a champagne glass but I was just cold diarrhea in a dixie cup." I worked for nearly a year, learned a lot, and when the dining room manager got fired for harassing teenagers and being dumber than a bag of paint I asked the Chef if I could go for it and she said yes.

I'm bridging the gap between FOH and BOH, or trying to. I like where I work and I plan on staying for a while.

Brute Squad posted:

Thank you for posting my change management nightmare. Olds+Food+Stakeholder Control+Existing Madness. I don't have any experience with app-based reservation systems, but I can tell you whatever you go with will be an absurd and uphill battle to get buy-in from your residents. Any app-based system will cut out their morning self-policing.

I want to make sure I have a handle on your current system. These are reservations for a daily dinner service? There's a queue list that's made first come-first served at 7am, but doesn't actually make it into the system until 1pm (when the book comes out)?

That's right. Nobody wants to touch the situation with a ten foot pole, but it's corporate so a big list of changes they want to be made this year came down from on high and one of them was "internet based reservation system". Seemed like an opportunity to change things for the better. It's going to happen even if I do nothing, I'd rather be the one making the choice than someone less informed higher up at headquarters.

greazeball posted:

As someone who once worked in a retirement community dining room, every single element of the dining experience is all about reinforcing the pecking order amongst the residents and nothing else. I would bet a lot of money that the reservation book looks exactly the same every night with the same seating arrangements and times repeating into infinity until one day there's a huge loving row about who got the last profiteroles and the next day Mr Doppler has to sit by himself but he has no idea why.

You don't want the hassle of retirement community drama so just stay out of it. Establish some residents' committee that will handle disputes and then use whatever system will let people book months in advance and prepare for an insane amount of backlash because the residents will hate it and they will complain to the top executive of your facility and tell them what a lovely job you're doing so you should probably get them on board with whatever you choose first.

I'm in too deep already! Hoping for a easy to use app that will let people start booking at midnight the night before or something. Sorry Mrs. Smith the app allows access at midnight tonight, so sorry."

Disargeria posted:

Yep. It's for the whole week though. So it only happens once a week and there are usually spots left over, and most residents are thoughtful enough to cancel any reservations they can't make it to in enough time for others to use them. It's inside a huge complex so it's less like going into a restaurant and more like stopping by the second floor.

Hope that gives a clearer picture, thanks for the interest!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What is the competition for? Does everyone want to eat at 5:30, or does everyone want to sit at the special table? Whatever you can do to do a better job of meeting that demand will go a lot farther toward making everyone happy. And you can still try to make a bunch of seniors go online at midnight or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

im going to cut your face off with a knife. slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I agree in theory, but until the service industry stops being seen as an inherently transient line of work and is instead seen as an actual profession:

Skwirl posted:

im going to cut your face off with a knife. slowly.

Pretty much this.

Tipping is a symptom of late stage capitalism, so I’m just going to try and absorb as many tips as possible until it all falls apart.