Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

A Man and his dog posted:

I really need to ask for a raise.

But I'm scared of the response.

Sigh....

worst case: "No". Just go for it dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

OP should have a big sparkly text gif saying DON'T OPEN A RESTAURANT

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Flunky posted:

But my friends love my bbq, they all agreed I could run a restaurant!

oh totally, and you can even bbq in the pit formed when that restaurant is run into the ground

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

scrub them until either you get everything off, or your hands are so numb you can't tell

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

go camping the whole week!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

if they're going to be such jerks about you not being there because they want you to be there so bad that they'll not have you there then maybe you should not be there again?

permanently?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

iospace posted:

I'm still of the opinion you should lawyer up.

:same:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

This is super hosed and maybe you should employ a lawyer and stop posting about it here until it's dealt with just in case

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Is it a bad or good sign that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having restaurant work nightmares?

awful bad. been out for more thsn three years snd still get nightmares of white-out weeds bartending that I can't catch up on until I get too anxious and wake up.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

cods posted:

Small place but in an absolutely picturesque setting that you wouldn't mind driving to, but wouldn't look as good on the resume. But sit a bad job. Also pay is 3k more but title is poo poo compared to what I was so huge step down.also little.

I'm def. gonna need this edited so I can read it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I have to work with a women all day who is going to be fired at the end of the night...

Woof.

does she know? You should tell her. I would want to know.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The General posted:

Not disagreeing with that, cause yeah. I'm just saying telling somebody they're fired at the start of a shift is just going to lead to having to do all their work too.

right, and I think that's selfish

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

ok pet peeve posting time:

when i'm setting up the patio, and it's half an hour until we open for service, and i've told you that, but you just lurk watching me set up for half an hour. it's like, would you turn up early at a friend's when they invite you over for dinner so you can watch them clean and set up and poo poo?

this happens at breakfast/brunch places. Nothing to do but deal with it really.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

pls post more, I feel like you posted part 2 before also. Looking forward to the rest.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you're getting paid to sit down and zone out instead of running around. it's basically a bonus

"Here is how much your time is worth"

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drinking off work at my home.

I mostly blame my roommate for this poo poo cause she works with me, and tells management.

Pretty annoying cause I don't and two what I do at home has nothing to do with work.

Are you showing up still drunk to work? If not then that's hosed but I guess your work could take exception to you being brutally hungover once too often since you are FoH. But yeah,

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Get a new room mate.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's got something like 9 co-owners

hell is multiple owners

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

A Man and his dog, was the keg empty because you finished it? Did the customer watch you finish the keg after he placed his drink order?

new pro way to exit a job

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

so at both of my jobs i get order from services like Doordash, Postmates, whatever. i just make em and dont think twice about it, never used em myself but orders for these services are tagged PM or DD on the tickets so to me it seems like we get a lot of them. so i went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was telling me how her husband and her ordered a couple pizzas from a local store that advertised delivery from one of those services. after they put their order in and pay like 40 minutes later they get a text from the delivery driver who says "im here". well she wasnt there and never actually showed up with their pizzas but they were still charged AND the driver gave herself a $10 tip.

my moms husband calls the restaurant who of course says it's a 3rd party and theres nothing they can do. so he calls postmates who basically tells him to get bent. he keeps writing and finally includes all the documentation as well as the text chain showing that their driver basically committed fraud by giving herself a tip and they finally agree to refund him. after that's said and done he goes onto yelp and leaves a bad review for the restaurant which, as someone who works in the industry, immediately made me queasy. i thought about it for a minute tho and looked at the store's website and they do indeed very blatantly advertise delivery thru postmates on their website and has a way to place a delivery order directly thru the store's website. at first i totally agreed with the restaurant that it was a 3rd party and not their responsibility but the more i thought about i kinda think the restaurant should have taken more responsibility- they very boldly advertised that they did delivery thru this company and this one only on their website and other marketing materials. im still not totally sure what i think about this whole situation so what do you think industry goons?

gently caress 3rd party delivery services, and the restaurants owners that enable

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Hauki posted:

where do you work so I can make sure to never go there

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Even if the people don't, the bartender should. If I order a martini and I get asked "vodka or gin?" I'll change my order.

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA

all of these videos are still incredible lol

a while ago in the old bartending thread someone posted a video called something like HOW TO MAKE A COCKTAIL that ends with a watermelon getting thrown at the martini glass but I can't find it any more :(

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The guys youtube channel is howtobasic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZf_7NuFvg

hahaha yesss it's still as great as I remember

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

What are you muddling? The simple syrup, the bitters, or the bourbon? Because that's all that is in it. Also, what bar that isn't a college shithole doesn't have a muddler?

if you were using a sugar cube/bitters rather than simple (which I've never used :shrug: I prefer demerara) then you at least need to be stirring. Muddling is maybe a bit over-kill. Also cherries suck in them, orange twists are the light - but do not need to be muddled imo.

no bar I ever worked in lacked a muddler - and I definitely worked in a few poo poo holes.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

man I can put on my own fishnet and pour my own jimmy

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Canuck-Errant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA
In case anyone has forgotten the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep.

well it was posted 2 pages back

so yes I had

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Naelyan posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Everything else might suck, but it's impossible to be unemployed for long

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Endless prospects in the mines of misery!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

e: wrng thread

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

this is a good take on a tired, tired joke

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

We had a snowstorm yesterday and two drivers straight up tapped out and refused to do anymore deliveries on the night.

That's a real gently caress move.

it's a good move on their part

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Today I salute Canada as I get paid time and a half to serve for six hours. :canada:

Thank you Canadian thanksgiving.

I turned down over-time stat pay today to hang with family and friends and start drinking *checks watch* 2 hours ago

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

mothers day brunch always struck me as a 'look at all the dudes that can't cook for their moms'

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

it was, yes

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

wait, aren't you like somewhere in the southern USA?

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION :canada:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Republicans posted:

Washington state, it's cool. We're next-door neighbors.

oh yeah, you good

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the industry is a predatory, incestuous, parasitic mess that destroys everyone in it

but for real AMAHD you need to stop with loving your coworkers, and if you are crushing the better part of a six before work, how much are you downing after?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

IANAL, and I don't even work in the industry any more, and never worked in the states - I just want to know if I'm reading this right: your boss/management are pocketing your tips?

If so that sounds very illegal (it would definitely be up here in Canada), and would certainly make me quit on the spot.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Doorstop posted:

Yeah that's why I find this so weird. It is a bar with essentially no hourly employees, so I'm not sure what's supposed to happen to the tips. Don't get me wrong I like the job, it just strikes me as shady that all tips are being collected by ownership and essentially being used to pay the salaries.

well, they're paying you your wages, they really really shouldn't be touching your tips at all, and them dressing it up as some kind of weirdo accounting - if they are - is super shady. You need to check out the laws in your state regarding gratuities.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the idea is that you spend the same amount of time at work, and some of it not working dude

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I generally spent it eating free food to keep my weak human body active

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

lol i know how good my situation is compared to a lot of industry folks in this country but goddamnit i will never stop complaining

you guys south of the border are treated so lovely :sigh: