Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheKennedys posted:

This is fair. I dunno, I'm still actively debating it, but I just feel like it's kind of a dick move, plus it's not -entirely- spite, I'm pretty good friends with most people here. It's me, I'm the idiot :(

Just give proper notice and no one will care aside from complete assholes, you can even use the people you like there as references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

Today a 9 year old kid slammed his elbow into my dick while I was clearing appetizer plates and the parents complained to the manager because I yelled "OW MY DICK"

Then as a follow up the kitchen ducked up their meals, twice. And they tried to claim that I did it intentionally as revenge for getting hit in the dick.

Classic front of house.

It's loving cute how people think FOH has any control over the quality of their food.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

If you told me someone complained that their kid hit you in the dick when I was younger, I would have hosed with their food

Be honest, when you were younger you would have hosed up their food on accident without thinking it was a big deal.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

this is the industry thread, nearly everyone here cooks or has cooked food and apparently most of us managed to pay our employees for their work, almost like it's a really easy thing to do or something

Not everybody cooks, a good chunk of us look at our phones while ignoring annoying white ladies, work front of house.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Stuntman posted:

Is there any way to deal with the tackiness you get on utensils/containers that have sat out without being used or washed for god knows how long?

Wash them?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Ah yes. A man and his dog.

I really don't like being grouped in with him. I'm going to chalk it up to this forum being overwhelmingly male, and BOH being mostly men and FOH being mostly women.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

Eh, I guess I should have specified, my face is fine it's my back and shoulders that are the problem. But thanks for the answers!

Do you think it would be awkward to luffa in a pub washroom?

Bring an extra undershirt and change half way through your shift maybe?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

People who have week long destination weddings should kill themselves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I had to file a W2 when I was 16 and watching toddlers during church for 10 bucks an hour (so 20 bucks a week), my church could get it together to have things above board for the daycare situation, how is this that hard. I don't actually know how business taxes work, but isn't there something you can do with declaring them an independent contractor to make it simpler paperwork wise for their test night, when someone is currently unemployed, an extra 60 bucks can be a loving lifesaver.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 1, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got fired from my dream job after I hit my head, passed out, and went on autopilot thanks to my anxiety meds and scared the poo poo out of everyone and drank a whole bottle of tequila.

Reason for termination? My potentially mind altering PRESCRIBED medications could be a clear and present danger to myself and others.

e: oh sure, I'll just stop taking those so I can go back to being a binge drinking ball of stress.

You should sue them for workmans comp if you hit your head hard enough to pass out while at work. If you were behaving erratically at work after massive head trauma that's on them, not you, regardless of whatever medication you're on.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Anyone know anything about seasonal jobs? I have a good summer gig which runs early May through mid October. I'm looking for something to fill in the gap.

My experience is running restaurants. I've been everything from sous to head chef to kitchen manager. I would prefer something that offers living arrangements and I can move to wherever as I have nothing tying me down.

I don't need to make a ton of money so while I'm qualified and more than willing to take a management role I also would be willing to be a line guy if the fit was right. FOH is also an option although my experience there is far less.

Aside from brunch rushes on holiday Mondays, I think most restaurants go through a downturn during the months you're off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Where do you live that $15 is considered low for a fry cook?

That's close to minimum wage in large sections of the country (population wise, not geographically).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Well I live in rural northeast Georgia, so he was making more than the people who taught him in highschool, for example

It's probably also cheaper to live there, l pay nine hundred for a studio in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Oakland, and that's way under market for the area. If I move out whoever moves in will probably pay between 1200 and 1500.

but FYI minimum in Atlanta is $13 if you're a city employee.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hauki posted:

most one bedrooms in town here are north of $1500 and minimum wage is still only $9

glad i got back out of the kitchen when i did

:shepspends:

lol, doing the math someone literally couldn't even afford rent working traditional full time at that rate. much less anything else

This is by state, so it's worse in urban areas and a little better in rural areas, and it's also from 2015, so it's most likely worse almost everywhere than that now.
different, but related fact:
Earn minimum wage in the US? You can afford to live in exactly 12 counties

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hydroxyzine puts you in a sleepwalking state sometimes. I had just taken one prior to cutting the poo poo out of my thumb on a can lid and fainting. Popped right back up on autopilot.

But hey, my lawyer buds want to sue the poo poo out of them for ADA violations, so that's cool. I got grilled on what meds I was taking when I went back 2 days later, turns out that's a huge no-no!

Oh wow, yeah, they're hosed. Please tell me they put it in writing that you were fired over your use of prescription antipsychotics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pretty sure they did, as that was the reason given when they called me and told me to come get my things

This was at a hotel, wasn't it? How do you feel about the prospect of owning your own hotel?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The only thing more slam dunk would be if CdC was actually Tim Meadows and he got fired for "being a darkie."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

i called the chefs tonight and it turns out it was a mistake at job #1 and i'm working normally but job #2 really is being a passive-aggressive little bitch about it. they might even try to deny my PTO that i requested to use because according to their company policy it can only be used on days that you are calling in sick not requesting off however i am pretty sure that is in violation of california state law

This got lost in the shuffle, but unfortunately the only required paid time off in California is mandatory sick leave that accrues at 1 hour per 30 worked and they're only forced to give it to you if you're sick or caring for a sick relative. If they offered PTO in addition to the mandatory sick leave then you might have a leg to stand on. Different cities and counties might have more generous laws that would help you too, but if it's just state law they can probably do that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Then presumably getting up and drinking and carrying on for three hours, which is generally not what you do when you're having a medical emergency?

Like with all the crazy poo poo you guys are posted about kitchen shenanigans in here, why would you think that a person just assume it was some kind of obscure drug related issue and not a dude having a normal freakout?

If someone passes out and hits their head at the job you call EMS, especially if they start acting weird enough that it's worth filming.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Then by all means keep taking a drug that sometimes puts you in a "sleepwalking haze" in a room full of sharp knives and boiling liquids.

It's no worse than the poo poo the the rest of the kitchen is on, I'm sure some of those mother fuckers are taking krokodil.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

the great deceiver posted:

yeah i know how it goes but when i was hired they explicitly told me they were hiring me to work me up to management. it's a very popular and successful local restaurant group and they like to draw their managers for all their restaurants from within. im not naive though, if it doesnt pan out i'll just start shooting sous applications to other places.

Maybe it's an FOH/BOH divide, but to me the only thing worse than working in a restaurant is managing one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samizdata posted:

At least you have a medical dope card. My WA buddy with one says the poo poo he gets is AMAYzing!

Assuming WA means the state of Washington, you don't need a card.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samizdata posted:

He never really covered that with me. Just that he had gotten the script and was using a dispensary. Guess I just assumed he needed a card (Like in my state). I can't get one anyway, as the place I work gets a slice of federal funding, so, although it is legal in my state, I fail a random even WITH a script, I am job hunting again.

Happy for him though, he used to have such paralyzing anxiety and agoraphobia issues, he would get twitchy in MMOs.

It's legal for anyone over the age of 21 to buy marijuana in Washington state, no card required beyond ID proving your age. If you're in Seattle there's a poo poo ton of stores too, not sure what the availability is like outside the city though,

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Uncle Lizard posted:

They're all over the place in the Tacoma area.

King County continues to be the best county.

Edit: Also apologies for having to live in Tacoma.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

And you just got fired from your last dream job for taking prescribed medication and being involved in a workplace injury.

Still think he should've sued, then he'd own a loving hotel and could give all of us our dream jobs.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The fact that he knows before her means management hosed up big time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

Not disagreeing with that, cause yeah. I'm just saying telling somebody they're fired at the start of a shift is just going to lead to having to do all their work too.

Yeah definitely, it's a situation where there's no polite way to handle it. Best case is you tell her and she uses her last shift to try and keep her job, but even that is cruel because it almost certainly wouldn't work.

I wouldn't tell her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Hope it all works out CDC.

You a good dude. I'm surprised you are even alive after TWO hit by car on bike events.

I think the car industry is trying to kill them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

He's actually a shill for the lawyers pushing for more bike lanes.

That'd be a noble death. People who hate bikes always forget that when you're "oh no, I have to drive slightly slower for half a block in a super densely populated community" that's a car that's not on the road trapping you behind them for many, many blocks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

3? People get pissy as gently caress over a minute wait.

I was walking through a grocery store parking lot, past a car with tinted windows. They kept pulling out slowly right behind me. I should have considered just stopping and staring at them. Like, "yes? I have the right of way here gently caress you?"

e - Also I feel alone here in not taking any sort of medication. Aside from ibuprofen/acetaminophen for my pinched sciatic nerve. Which is a lot better than it was uhhh, about a month and a half ago or so. It's not back to normal yet, but I can get around at work fine on 2 ibuprofen/1 acetaminophen a day, rather than hurting by the 4th hour, but being responsible and waiting to take another two aceta. Which is good.

Also the occasional drinking. But nothing crazy, and it's mostly lately been during Splatoon because I think I play better slightly intoxicated. :shrug:

If you're not drinking or using other drugs there's almost no reason to not take as much to take as much ibuprofen or tylenol as you want.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

ibuprofen is hard on your stomach, acetaminophen plays hell on your liver. So you're correct, but it's important to pick your OTC painkiller based on your habits.

Skwirl posted:

If you're not drinking or using other drugs there's almost no reason to not take as much to take as much ibuprofen or tylenol as you want.

That bolded disclaimer was written for a reason, and if you're drinking or doing other drugs enough that taking more than four Advils in a day puts you at risk of other health problems, the Advil is probably not the problem you should be worried about.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Time for another Make Vox a Better Diner Question. How should I arrange my plates/utensils when I am done to make the server's work as easy as possible?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Stack plates, then bowls on top. Bunch utensils up, but do not put them into a glass. Shove everything towards the kitchen, wipe up major crumbs and moisture.

This is good advice, but also, if a busser or server has started clearing, absolutely do not stack anything on top of what they are already carrying unless they ask you, not even a loving fork.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

well, apparently new zealand has hospitality industry shortages and america keeps breaking my heart so i started the immigration application process. keep y'all's fingers crossed for me.

I might move also given the landscape shots from Lord of The Rings, I'll cross my fingers as long as you put in a good word next year for me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

The worst thing is people who put napkins on runny yolks or syrup.

Meh, the main difference is if it's cloth or paper napkins, and if it paper they made the job a little easier for the dishwasher and if it's cloth, you send that out .

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

The bar tenders I work with usually rack up about $500 in 8 hours and then I take out their trash for them on the 17th hour of my double because "(they're) girls and cant lift it!" mother fuckers

What're the hours of your restaurant and how much prep and shut down do you have to do? because I'm curious how a restaurant could have 17 hours straight of work for a person to do.

Discendo Vox posted:

Thank you! Any more specific instructions for dos/don't s with paper or cloth napkins?

Put your napkin on the plate or next to it when you're finished with your food, if you're getting up to use the bathroom and don't want your plate cleared, put your napkin on your seat. Don't know what the guy was going on about napkins and syrup but I haven't worked in a dish pit for years so I'm probably forgetting something annoying, but paper napkins are compostable and you have to scrape a plate anyways, so you can use it to wipe the plate and throw it into the same bin as the food. Cloth napkins go into a laundry bag that's sent out, let them deal with sticky crap, they get paid for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've come to think that one of the most important qualities of being an owner (besides not being stupid enough to own a restaurant in the first place) is the ability to set down a no fraternization and no getting high on the job rule and make sure it sticks.

loving lol, a bunch of hot people in their early 20's who always have cash in their pocket aren't going to gently caress and get high constantly?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

odinson posted:

Lets talk otc stimulants.

Any thoughts or experiences using caffeine pills vs energy drinks? Currently spending at least $50 a month on Monsters while supplementing with coffee. Amazon currently has a 24 pack for $30 which is $1.25/can where I normally pay $2/. That is a great deal, but more money could be saved.

I've read that the effects of the non-caffeine additives in various energy drinks are pretty minuscule, so I'm assuming just the pills would be way cheaper since I only drink the sugar free ones or the 10 cal Rehab teas. Before I go too far down the rabbit hole and start researching different home made concoctions of sports/energy drinks or ECA stacks I figured I'd ask here first.

And we have a winner for dumbest post in the thread.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pile of brown posted:

Steal coffee from your job.

Other topic: I don't have a no fraternization policy because it's unenforceable and weakens your position as a manager to constantly tell people not to do something they will do anyways but I have a strict no drugs/drinking at work policy, and have backed it up by firing people on the spot and working their shift the rest of the night. Get hosed up on your own time and shoot heroin in your loving eyeballs if you want but Im not paying you to be stoned and useless.
one of my waitresses saw me on my day off the other night and went "OMG are you high? You look so stoned! I've never seen you like this before!" And I said "yeah I smoke weed daily but you've only ever seen me at work"

Visine and trident thank you for their increased sales.

It's like my dad used to say, "The day I can't do my job drunk is the day I hand in my badge and gun." He wasn't a cop

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

odinson posted:

Thanks for all the replies. I've never heard of those prescription drugs, illegal drugs, and apparently this new thing called...caw-fee??
It was a dumb as hell post. If you like Monster go ahead and drink Monster and by all means find the cheapest way to drink it, but don't come here looking for advise on the best cheap legal drugs because none of them are as cheap as free coffee and none of them are as good as the illegal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

HAHAHAHA I mean I don't even know where to start, but if there were 72 hours in each day, that would still not be enough!

I know there's always more stuff to do, but the restaurant has to be closed for a certain number of hours a day, doesn't it? I guess BOH there's always more prep.