Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

PYF crazy tickets

A friend of mine has a collection of these. I made an album.

For sure my favourite is "she thinks".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Living in Northern Ontario kinda sucks, lol.

Come to southern Ontario, there's snow but you still don't really need a jacket ever (as someone who grew up in Saskatchewan, where Real Cold(tm) happens).

As for the sexual harassment poo poo coming down the pipe, I actually truly hope that a few people are nailed to a loving cross, the rest are professionally punished in a way that fits their violations, and maybe, just MAYBE, sometime in the next decade people learn to keep their loving hands, comments, and everything else to themselves.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Disargeria posted:

Wait... so these old people have to show up to your restaurant three different times every time they want to eat there? 7am, 1pm and then 6pm or whatever?

It's the restaurant in the retirement community. But yes. Also as someone who has a grandmother in one of those said communities, most of them show up at the "restaurant" more often than that every day anyway.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm so full of duck risotto, bourbon, and aquavit. Someone wake me up tomorrow. Merry Christmas, thread.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

VERTiG0 posted:

Right. This restaurant is in a university town with 2 big universities and 1 major college (Canada) but a huge tech sector also with many very high paying jobs (Google has an office, among many other big names). I'm just curious as to how that'll all play out.

Hi Ontario friend. I saw that tweet too (I live in the same city as that restaurant), and though I haven't ever worked at that particular place, I can almost guarantee the reason they weren't paying their staff more before is that people already complain about the prices there, and in general people do not want to pay what food is worth. The food there especially is incredibly prep heavy because what they do and how well they do it.

I'm curious how it's going to play out too, especially seeing as how I'm the exec chef for a couple of properties here, but I can guarantee that as far as the "higher end" independently owned places around here go, we're paying our staff as much as we can with what people around here are willing to pay for food. I know I get occasional complaints about pricing at my downtown restaurant, and we're priced pretty drat low for the ingredients I use.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bloody ghost titty posted:

Seize the means of production, collectivize the restaurant.

Seriously, this is why people without business degrees running labor and capital-intensive businesses should shut the gently caress up and let PR do their job. Don’t address your guests with sarcasm on the goddamn internet. I hope this putz gets yelped into bankruptcy.

Where are you seeing sarcasm?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Upsell healthy poo poo.

Can I add some gluten free lettuce to that Mac & Cheese for you for just $2?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The General posted:

My niece works at Dairy Queen, hours have been super slashed. She's also not allowed to call in sick, and now has to find her own replacement in case of illness. :wtc:

If she's in Ontario, that's now straight up illegal under the new laws. New legislation mandates more allowable sick days per employee and tighter restrictions on when a business is allowed to deny it.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo, and every one of my cooks is getting a raise, whether they were under $14, at it exactly before the jump, or higher. I was actually expecting just a nominal bump myself if anything, and was told just a couple days ago that I'm getting a 10% raise. I do have to cut a few hours, but it's mostly "no one is allowed to work overtime anymore", and the only full shift that I cut was my own (because I was into a dozen or more overtime hours a week), so every one of my people is pretty happy. We increased our menu prices a couple months ago and will be doing so again with a menu change in about another month, and after that we should be good, provided sales keep up how we're expecting.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Re: asking about convictions. Doesn't matter because when HR runs the background check they'll just say the person is unhireable, not tell you why for liability reasons, and you don't hire them.

Not all of us have HR departments or regularly run background checks on potential employees.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

So Paul Bocuse died. I'm honestly surprised a chef lived to 91.

yep. I hear he was a pretty decent human being in life though. RIP

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Turkeybone became a wine salesman and he hasn't been in this thread in probably a couple of years, so he's probably living the high life. Or combating cirrhosis, take your pick.

He stops in every once in a while to remind us that his company sends him places to get drunk as part of "work" or that he's eating somewhere nice at lunch on the company dime or some poo poo.

I need to start making better friends with my wine guys.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wroughtirony posted:

This exists? I've only ever worked for moderately sketcky joints that underpaid/overworked me and used domestic abuse tactics to keep me from leaving. I must have been doing it all wrong...

Yeah. They're called money launderers. It can be good, I'm told. I was also told this by a guy who had to move provinces because he walked into a room at the wrong time though, so ymmv.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
So yesterday there was an event in my city, a big food and beer event with like 3 dozen vendors. When I agreed to do it, it was going to be 800-1000 people, no big deal. Paid our deposit, no problem. Then they sold a bunch of tickets and decided that 2500 would be the new target, which I was not pleased about (I'm a small kitchen and don't have a lot of storage or extra labour hours for poo poo like that), but they were being fucks about giving me my deposit back (because they were also having trouble getting more food vendors), so I just said gently caress it and made food for it. Turns out they oversold the venue by at LEAST 500 people, some people ended up waiting in line for over an hour to be told that they would probably not be allowed in the venue at all that night. The secondary line to get a refund was also TWO HOURS long. loving thing was such a train wreck. I don't understand how people can gently caress something up that badly. gently caress stupid people who run events.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Recoome posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: Had a meal at my old restaurant and they hosed my order up

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

What I'm understanding from the thread right now is that peeled garlic comes mostly from slave labor.

You are correct.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

But real talk, I'd rather work 80hrs a week

Make sure you sleep. And stay away from the tequila.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jesus. If I wasn't able to give my crew a staff meal on every shift (or eat one myself, for that matter) I don't know how I'd function. My fridge at home is empty (because I haven't had a day off in a while) and today is my only day off this week, but I have to stop by for an hour to do some ordering, so you better believe I'm grabbing some food while I'm there. If the owner or the bar manager are in, there is a 100% chance that when I sit down to send a couple emails there will be a (free) beer waiting for me. A couple weeks ago when I brought a date in for an event we were doing (that was also a day off for me), when I asked for my bill at the end of the night I got called a loving idiot and told it was taken care of. It would not have been a small bill.

I understand why large corporate places and chains have staff meal policies like that, but I guess I've just been working in smaller privately owned places for so long that it seems foreign as gently caress.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
We also feed all the staff Fernet after busy services, and everyone from FOH to dishwashers gets to order whatever they want for their staff meal (with the exception of a few expensive proteins), so I realize my place is on the far side of the spectrum of things, but hearing about places itemizing staff meals while there's a line of people still makes me sad.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tend to buy a lot more rounds for the kitchen when I`m traveling than when I`m just out for a dinner at home. A few years back someone (I can`t even say who it was at this point) started buying BOH rounds, so then when people were at their place they bought a round, and then elsewhere, and then all of a sudden (not everywhere in the city, but at all the restaurants in our cliquey little in-group) every loving BOH had 2 or 3 drinks at the end of the night and every time I went out I was spending an extra $20-40 on shots for the kitchen even if I was just meeting my girlfriend for a drink after work and it just got loving ridiculous so we just kind of all stopped.

There was one night, a Monday, at a pretty regular industry bar, that the back had so many drinks for them that the closing cook just came out of the kitchen with a tray of shots and started handing them to random people. I was already drunk that night. I may have contributed to the stupid number of BOH drinks. I may have gotten even drunker after that.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Maybe I'm naive because my cocktails of choice are generally things like Manhattans, up, but is clear ice really that big of a deal? I've had some incredible cocktails during my multiple decades as a drinker, and I never noticed the clarity of the ice. Bad cube size, yes, but I've never stared at a g&t on the rocks and said, "hmm, these cubes have bubbles in them."

Not trolling, genuinely curious.

It's one of those things that "justifies" being able to charge $14+ for a cocktail. Realistically it doesn't make the drink taste any better, but having a puree quenelled on a plate rather than slopped into a ramekin doesn't make it taste any better either, but it's what you expect once you hit a certain price point.

tl:dr clear ice looks pretty

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think some people are missing the point of calling for actual system wide labour reform, and needing that before they can just "pay people more". Restaurants, and businesses in general, do not exist in a vacuum. You can't just raise prices and pay people more and expect that there will be no other effects of that change. When your prices go up and your competitor's doesn't, people notice. Sales are impacted. Now, if there is governmental mandated raises to minimum wage, guess what? Everyone else (including your competition!) HAS to do it, and the market adjusts accordingly! Until that happens though, as much as it's morally justifiable to immediately bump everyone to $18/hour for a starting position, if you're the only one doing it then those $18/hour jobs probably aren't going to be around for very long.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pseudosavior posted:

I honestly am.

Having mostly worked in late night pizza and fast-casual hellholes, I'm legitimately curious about the setups and layouts of far classier, distinguished hellholes.

The Fish Cook is the guy on Hell's Kitchen getting yelled at for loving up the scallops for the 6th time that service.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
We're normally closed Sundays, so we should have been super closed on a holiday Sunday, but we agreed to do a buffet for our landlord and 40 of his friends and family. Asked my kids for volunteers to help (or run it so I didn't have to be there), my apprentice who wants to learn and do everything was all over it, so the two of us ran the kitchen to get a buffet set up for these fuckheads, then he cleaned up a bit and I ran the FOH (didn't have any real FOH in, they didn't want to pay a bartender or anything and wanted to just clean up after themselves and the owner agreed since it's the landlord?) while they ate some food and drank some booze. Apparently no one in my poo poo-stick organization (meaning the owner who agreed to do this or the catering manager who figured out the details) actually asked the question "When the gently caress are you going to leave?". Buffet was put out at 1:45, restock done at 2:10, everyone fed to contentment by 2:45. I sent my apprentice home so he could go have Easter dinner with his family and figured I'd just run some dishes while I got my ordering done for Tuesday and poo poo, maybe have to make another pot of coffee or refill some ice buckets or whatever, then bounce. Nope. I'm sitting here writing this post while sitting on a prep table in my kitchen at 6:05. It was about 4pm when someone came and asked me "Can we put on our own music? WE NEED TO GET THIS PARTY STARTED :hurr:". I'm not even making any money because we also let them bring (and serve) all their own alcohol, so I'm literally sitting here with nothing to do besides all the poo poo that always needs to get done but gently caress if I'm cleaning shelving on Easter Sunday when I was told I was only going to have to serve these idiots food and leave.

Gonna sit here and wallow in my can of lovely beer (if I go out and pour myself anything from the taps then they'll start wanting beer and I'm not about to open up that loving can of worms) and leftover ham and mashed potatoes and hopefully these idiot fucks will pack their poo poo up and leave soon.

Call Me Maybe is playing right now. What the actual gently caress.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

pile of brown posted:

Sometimes there's just a random thing at work you hate doing, whether it's difficult or not.

I loving hate picking thyme. Hate it with an all consuming passion.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manuel Calavera posted:

Gonna second this. Had this happen at work today even. We have a new guy who's already proven quite competent and helpful, but he burned either the milk or his roux, so a few gallons of cheese sauce for mac n cheese went to waste. Not a big deal, and he's still a good kid. I did the same thing one of the first few times I was doing prep for our room service line, it happens.

The problem isn't when people gently caress up (especially for a first time), the problem is when the fuckup doesn't get fixed and it affects customers or other employees. That's what I tell all my guys. I'm pretty forgiving if you gently caress up the cheese sauce or do a hack job on garnish in the afternoon when we're prepping, I'll go through and show you how to not gently caress it up next time, no big deal. If I find out about it at 7pm on a Thursday when I go to grab my backup from the walkin and now I have nothing to serve when I'm half the restaurant deep in chits, I'm going to come down on you like the fury of a thousand suns.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

This is now my favourite story.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cliff posted:

Do you have any suggestions for serving chioggia beets (other than raw or lightly sauteed slices)? The place I'm at currently roasts them whole which of course leaves them entirely pink, defeating the purpose of using chioggias :psyduck:

You can do a quick pickle on them and they still look really pretty, for garnish and poo poo like that. They also fry up pretty (thin sliced, then just toss in a shallow frying pan with a half inch of oil).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What drugs are you on right this minute?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Field Mousepad posted:

Oh it's brisket. Yeah we have brisket here too.

no you're wrong and bad and wrong

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

btw addicted to limes now, will just straight up lick them for that good good lime sauce

Need to try that poo poo while you're high on miracle berries (not actually a drug). poo poo will change your life.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

I'm not even talking about quality of life, since reading this forum has shown me that a significant portion of you don't seem to care about it. I'm saying Chef De Cuisinart isn't as good at his job as he could be, since that seems to only be the type of language he'll understand.

This is so loving true. Not the CdC thing necessarily (though probably), but at this point I can actively feel myself get shittier at my job and make lazier menus/less informed decisions when I haven't slept properly in a few days. It's something I've only come to really learn and take heed of in the last couple years, but it makes SO MUCH difference.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Crushed brunch as well. Full eggs benny and a stupid amount of homefries. At least 7 mimosas. Didn't leave the house or put on pants (aw yeah not being open today).

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
We make tobacco bitters in house and use them in a 'coffee and cigarettes' (basically bourbon, coffee vermouth that we also infuse ourselves, bitters, and simple) and that poo poo is our highest selling cocktail by something stupid like 30%. In a place that does 50% of sales as cocktails.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've never heard of using tobacco as a food flavoring, and as a filthy smoker: intrigued, subscribing to your newsletter, etc. What kind of tobacco do you y'all use?

The oldest tobacco shop in Canada (maybe just Ontario? But I think Canada) is literally just around the corner from my restaurant, so we got there and they give us some real high quality pipe tobacco and then we put that poo poo in booze for a while and make bitters.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

They're talking about a tobacco infused bitters, so it's not going into food and they probably aren't using more than 3 drops in a 4-7 Oz drink.

We've done a poo poo ton of research (I haven't personally so I'm not about to pull up links, I'm the chef, not part of the bar program), and tobacco infusions are absolutely a no-go and not safe for consumption. The bitters are more like a drop into a 3oz cocktail, and we've thoroughly checked with the necessary governing bodies to make sure they're ok with it. We've sold thousands of the things at this point and had zero issues thus far.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

You're light on your pours.

welcome to canada, where I can put tobacco in it but can't serve a 4oz cocktail (that one is actually more like 3.5, 3oz of booze)

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

why are you showing us pictures of trash?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a secret recipe for chocolate sauce that doesn't suck? I need one that is either stable at room temperature or doesn't seize like a motherfucker after a couple days of fridge -> counter -> fridge. We don't serve a whole lot of desserts, so just making a small batch and using most of it every day (like I usually do) won't work. I have a recipe I made for the FOH at my last place that's liquid at fridge temp, but it's not a very dark chocolate sauce, and it'd look like poo poo on this dish. So. It needs to be 1) dark as possible, 2) able to survive multiple days of services, 3) not seize or get clumpy.

I've got some time to play tomorrow and I have some ideas in mind but I figured I'd ask you knowledgeable folks while I'm here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Man and his dog posted:

drat $9 an hour and getting tips!

Lmao the owner gave us a raise but we have no idea what it is. Suddenly my paychecks went from like $20 a week to $100 a week. Yay!

.. what. How do you not know what your wage is? How do you know you're not being shortchanged hours if your pay stub doesn't say "Paid xxx hours at yyy wage" on it?