Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

I take deliveries from Sysco. Some drivers can't understand the concept of "no you moron I can't take a truck in the middle of loving lunch just because you're ahead on your route" please don't be that guy tia

My favourite was the driver that came and yelled at me because no one was there to receive the order at 6am and he had to come back. When I told him that he was supposed to have a key, and where is the key? "It got lost, I don't know, I had it when I left."

Oh cool. Let your supervisor know that Sysco will be paying for new locks, tia. (Seriously though, I appreciate my good drivers a lot. At my last place the Tuesday crew was loving awesome, unfortunately the Friday guys were utter garbage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey friends. So I've been approached about doing some recipe development for a company that makes a processed base ingredient (think like a specific fruit puree or a specialized oil or something like that). The recipes wouldn't be used for mass production or anything, basically just something they can put on their website/in marketing stuff to show what can be done with the product. I'd basically be responsible for writing up the ingredient list/recipe for a suitable sized batch of whatever (1-4 servings at a time kind of thing) and then potentially (not always, this part might be done by someone else) actually making the dish for photos (the photography would be taken care of by their marketing company, who are the people asking me to do this). I'm totally comfortable with the recipe development side of things, and it's actually a product I've used before so I've even got some old already-done recipes I can pull from/alter. My question is, what the gently caress do I charge for this? It seems like they're looking to do a freelance-style thing where they just pay me a flat amount per recipe (they would be shipping me as much of their product as I'd need). Does anyone else have experience doing things like this, or have any idea what an industry standard would be? I'm Canadian so I know numbers might be a little different if you're doing this in NYC or something, but any help would be appreciated.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

I appreciate it, thanks. I've spoken with a few other friends in the area (including one I hadn't talked to in a while that's apparently been doing specifically this on occasion lately) so I've got a pretty good idea now! Also, congrats on the job change, I hope that works out how you're hoping.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Nice!

Out of curiosity, if you're willing to share, what did you decide was reasonable?

I'm waiting to hear back from them about a few details (I'm assuming they'll want ownership of the recipes, and how many they'll want/how much direction they'll be giving me as to what they want made), but I'm thinking if it's 4 or less at a time, $125/per, or $100/per for 5+. That's basically $60/hour with a few bucks thrown in for materials. We'll see what they say. Maybe knock a few bucks off if they're willing to throw my name at the end of the recipes since this is kind of my first gig doing this for some place other than a business I already work for.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Head hunters are generally people who make a job out of finding talent, finding people to fill roles. When I get an email from some random dude in Vancouver (when I work in Ontario) telling me about a position that I'd 'just be perfect for!', that's a headhunter. What he's talking about is just a lovely manager that worked somewhere long enough once to have management experience on their resume, and now leverages a good-looking resume to chain through jobs and leave just before everyone figures out that they're actually poo poo.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Raikiri posted:

We have 4 people in the kitchen and they refuse to hire us a KP. We did £9,000 in food today.

We also all have at least 7 days of holiday to use up before April, so we're all going to get periodically hosed.

I dunno, that sounds like a group vacation to me. Then they'll have to hire someone.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i've wondered if there's any point to that bc i doubt that gluten stays (uh) gluten-y for very long in 350F degree oil, but who knows!

I forget the exact numbers, but I did a bunch of research on this a few years back and basically gluten (the protein strand) doesn't denature until it's spent 20+ minutes at a temperature higher than 450F or 475F or something like that, which is higher than most (any) fryers run and is past the smoke point of most oils you'd want to use in a fryer. So short answer is yeah, gluten survives in a deep fryer and can gently caress with people that have legit issues with it.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Its an absolute miracle that nobody's slipped and fell immediately upon lifting it out.

Oh how I want to post The Video right now.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

I'm a home cook who follows this thread. I partially understand the anger concerning the use of deep friers but could someone break down exactly why this is terrible for laypeople?

Think of, instead of heating up a pot of something on your stove, you have a GIANT pot of near-boiling oil that you just stick little pots into. That probably seems less safe (because it is). Also now when you pull the little pots out, they're covered in (still near-boiling) oil that makes them hard to handle, leaves messes everywhere, potentially contaminates other food, and also will probably loving burn you. Dripping oil on the floor is a slipping hazard (made worse by the part where you might be carrying another pot of near-boiling something covered in oil), and now instead of your home kitchen where it's likely just you doing things as slowly as you'd like, you're in an environment where everything is rushed and there are multiple people around who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should be to the stupid poo poo you're doing. It's just all around a recipe for disaster. (Plus the little things like metal spoons in a pot hanging over boiling oil [metal conducts heat] and if any of those pots spill into the oil, that poo poo will literally explode)

Bonus FUN video!

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bartlebee posted:

Thank you. I assumed at least part of it was exploding oil. I'm also assuming the video is that Australian psa where the lady slips and gets destroyed by oil and will not be watching again.

It's from Ontario actually, but yes. The screaming haunts my nightmares.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I haven't had poo poo pay in nearly a decade, just have to be willing to leave your job once you've stopped growing, and go somewhere bigger and better.

This is such a thing. I've got a few friends that went the business school/engineering/teaching/government job route that I only chat with or get to see a few times a year. So it's like every 4th or 5th meetup that I have a new job, when they've been at the same place for the last 9 years or whatever, and they give me poo poo about it. But that's not how this industry works. Short of working your way up at the same large hotel corporation or owning your own place, if you've been at a place for more than a couple years you're probably selling yourself short. It seems to be a thing that a lot of people don't really get, in the industry and out of it.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

Plus at this point my family understands that I work a lot during the holiday seasons because everyone else wants off, but it means I can usually wrangle at least one weekend day off in the spring/fall to have a life with normal people.

Sure, but also 90% of people that work in industries other than the service industries get every single holiday and every weekend off.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manuel Calavera posted:

e2 - "omlettes contain eggs. Which is a big 8 allergen." IT'S AN OMLETTE. IT'S MADE OF EGGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ah4tW-k8Ao

This is one of my favourite things.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

nightly nopetopus posted:

It's been snowing so much here that we closed three hours early today, because the later it gets, the harder it would have been to get home. I don't mind the short day at all, given how much I've been working lately. Now if only I could get a whole day to myself...

I just got a text from the owner asking me not to come in because the roads are so hosed (and also we're slow this week). It was just going to be an ordering/cleaning/organizing day anyway, so gently caress it, I'm not putting pants on. The snow is loving sideways. I don't want it.

The Weather Network posted:

Snow is expected to transition to ice pellets and then to freezing rain this afternoon. Freezing rain may persist for several hours before changing to rain or snow in the evening.

Additionally, strong easterly winds gusting up to 80 km/h are also expected this morning.
Yeeeaaaahhhhh gently caress that.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 12, 2019

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Good luck and godspeed tonight, friends. May your service be smooth, your tipout be plentiful, and your next day off relaxing.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Anyone got any tips for cleaning hood filters shaped like this:

Cleaning in-between the slats is a giant pain in the rear end. They're too big to fit in our fryers so I can't just boil them clean which is how I've done it most places I've worked. Is there some sort of spray-on degreaser anyone's familiar with that's super effective on caked-on rubbery grease?

The harshest degreaser you can find, let it soak for a while, then just jam a piece of steel wool in there with your finger/the back of a utensil and run it up and down that poo poo. You'll destroy a piece of steel wool per side, per filter. Hopefully you've got a sprayer hose on your dish sink. Make sure you've got something to catch all that poo poo before it goes down the drain. Good luck.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! I'm so pumped to be in this new kitchen tomorrow, it's absolutely loving huuuuuge and so well-appointed. Also it'll be nice to not have to schlep to a walk-in that's located outside and half a football field away, because holy gently caress is it cold out today.

So a derail about chain restaurants happened over in GBS's r/relationships thread, wherein I learned that Applebee's have tablets at the table that you order from...? Is that really a thing? I haven't eaten at a chain store in forever. Ugh, I hate using the self-checkout at Kroger, I can only imagine that x 1000 in trying to order food. Also, who's gonna fuckin' tip a tablet? I hope they're paying their runners full wage. :(

I don't know anything about applebees or other chains (I rarely go to them either), but tablets are really popular around here with AYCE sushi places, both smaller chains and some independently owned spots. For some styles of service it definitely works alright, and some of the AYCE apps are pretty intuitive and feel good to use. There's also a place that has a bunch of these tables that you can order through, though they still have servers if you don't want to and even when you do, the server will generally come over within the next minute or two to confirm your order so it's not just you ordering through the machine and food appearing.

Also congrats on the job, super stoked to hear about it! If you can, get us some pictures of your pretty new kitchen.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was about to come in here and type a bunch of words about how I give a spiel to new employees saying "at no point do I think you're stupid, but I'm gonna tell you to do some stuff that might make it seem that way. it's just so the thing is said out loud once so my expectations are clear and after that I'll leave you to do your thing unless you have questions or issues" and maybe it's something like that happening but with less forewarning, but no, that guy is just an rear end in a top hat with an inferiority complex.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

You don’t need to talk to people in that way at all and doing so is poor management/leadership

If this is directed at me, I don't actually talk to people like they're stupid. I just like to say everything once, even the stuff that "should" be obvious, like "Ok, here's the recipe for pico. The tomatoes are there, onions are there, the rest is in the fridge. Make sure you wash the tomatoes and peppers and herbs." Washing produce is a 'yeah, no poo poo, that's obvious' kind of a thing for most people. That kinda thing. And I like to give my little preamble about it early on so someone who's been cooking for 5 years doesn't get offended when I tell them to wash a tomato - it's not that I think they're an idiot or don't know how to cook, it's that at some point someone didn't do the thing so now I say it out loud once so that my expectations are set and I don't have to give them poo poo about not washing a tomato later on.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

So who else is getting ready to be turbo-hosed for St Patrick's? Gotta love my chef, he talked the owner into a limited menu all day/night Saturday, made sure everyone is working, and yesterday handed out a printed "action plan"* that lays out what prep everybody needs to do today. I only have to worry about 5 instead of a dozen different kinds of flatbreads, no loving substitutions, and I'm gonna have a helper whose sole job is to keep rolling that dough out for me. We had a 50-top party last night that ran like a well-oiled machine under his direction and only 3 cooks on the line, so I'm feeling more pumped than spooked.

That said, errbody stay safe today, stay away from mandolins, it's the Ides of March.

edit: whoops, forgot to add my * footnote. I loved BSG back when it was on, and all I could think of when he said "action plan" was "ACTION STATIONS, ACTION STATIONS!"

I'm in catering now. This is a slow week. I decided to just take work off until the 19th. Feelsgoodman.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sextro posted:

Interest check for management sorts (kitchen or bar) do you feel there's any room for a vendor that sells you well executed prepared ingredients of whatever is the latest trend? Like long-term fermented foods (garums, koji inoculated nonsense) or other time/space intensive things you wish you could do but for a litany of reasons you can't.

It's hard, because the kind of place I'd expect to be using things like that, I'd also be expecting to be making them in-house. I could see a lot of use for this coming from trendy lunch spots where you can list the ingredient and use very little of it, rather than upscale dinner places. I think this would be a very location-dependent thing. Probably not gonna get a lot of traction in rural Utah, but SF or Seattle etc, yeah, I'm sure you could do well.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

That said, sometimes it is nice to try someone else's take on a dish you're comfortable with. Like, I love my coquille st Jacque recipe, I've been making it at home for 20+ years now (yes I am old), but if I see that on the menu I might be tempted to order it just to see how someone else does it.

I've tried this exactly twice with carbonara, and got real fuckin' mad about it both times.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Yeah it's kind of incredible that I've paid restaurant prices for carbonara and they're still too cheap to add the peas.

get the gently caress out of here i'll cut you

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
The best party about ramp season is the fiddleheads. Ramps are poo poo. Fiddleheads are glorious.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Fiddleheads are good, but morels are better.

I disagree with you, but understand your view and will protect your right to your opinion.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

So I didn't get the cheese shop gig, guy they interviewed the day before me did. However, they were also looking for a purchasing manager for their deli and prepared foods operations, so now I get to work Sun-Thurs and 40-48 hours a week.

Man, I should have jumped ship to high end grocery a long time ago. Pay is slightly better, but no more needing to be able to come in to work as early as 2am or stay as late at 2am.

Normal jobs are loving weird dudes.

Welcome to the purchasing manager life. I went to a networking meeting this morning, met with two local farmers over lunch, and then sent some emails/did a pickup this afternoon, and I was home by 4:30.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheParadigm posted:

Whats the most frivolous orridiculous use of/excuse for a darn, i need a day off sickday that you've let slide?

All of my staff are aware that if they need a day off for any reason, whether it's because they're ill or they need a mental health day or their dog is sick or their sister just had a bad breakup and can't stop crying or they're hungover as gently caress, they can tell me (with reasonable notice) "Chef I need a personal day today" and know my answer will be "no problem, we'll get you covered, let me know asap if you need tomorrow too". You'd think that this kind of loose management would mean people call out constantly, but instead, because I treat my staff with a modicum of respect they do the same to me and not only do they not abuse the policy, they pretty quickly offer to cover other people's shifts if that's what's needed. It's loving crazy, I know. In the last 4-5 years that I can remember, I've only had to have attendance-issues meetings with two people, one of whom had some persistent health concerns and I helped him find a job that was more accommodating to his needs (he was dishwashing for me and as it got worse he was less able to stand for longer than 30 minutes at a time), and the other one was a lovely employee who I soon fired for various reasons.

So I guess to answer your question, I got a call once and as soon as I picked up I heard my cook say "Chef, I'm sad. I'm just... I'm just sad. I can't do today." So I checked that she had someone in the house with her and told her I was around if she needed to talk at any point. Zero regrets. 10/10 calling in sick. Would do again.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
Part of it is just having done the thing hundreds (or thousands) of times. At this point I can dump a dozen eggs into a rondeau (the large shallow pot mentioned above) and walk away to do other things, and my brain just tells me when to walk back over and pull the eggs out. There are also tricks like pulling the eggs out 45 seconds too early and just letting them hang out on a plate for a few minutes while you finish everything else, then dropping them back in the water for 20 seconds to have nice hot fresh eggs. Also it probably took you 25 minutes to make hollandaise (this isn't a shot at you, just an observation) whereas I've seen breakfast cooks knock out a new 20-person batch of hollandaise in 4 minutes when the old one split unexpectedly. The last place I did breakfast, I was the only one that touched any of the hot food (eggs, meat proteins, hot sides, pancakes/waffles, crepes, french toast, etc) and sometimes I'd have 30+ seats come in at a time, that's just the way the kitchen was set up. Organization is the key.

The post above all has good tricks and practices to keep in mind, but the biggest thing is just having everything ready and available (don't be rooting through your fridge crisper for spinach or be trying to cut up your veg) before you start the actual cooking. Mise en place = everything in its place, and it's a good motto to have even at home if you're cooking something complicated or for a large number of people. Plan out (even go so far as to write a list if it's complicated) the order of everything and estimated cooking times, and you'll see a much better flow. I can guarantee that you spent as much time bouncing back and forth between tasks or thinking about what to do next as you did actually cooking, whereas if you have a plan for 'heat pan > biscuits in oven > drop eggs in pot > reheat meat > saute veg > put biscuits on plate > pull eggs from water, season > meat on biscuits > veg on meat > eggs on veg > sauce that poo poo > serve', it'll go a whole lot smoother.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mithross posted:

As I said, mostly. These are people I’ve known for years. I’m sure they aren’t happy but believe they aren’t going to get rid of me either. There just aren’t enough cooks in the area, pretty much every local place is constantly trying to fill at least one hole.

And you'll know the specifics and whether it was a good or bad idea better than we will, but in general if you want to 'be good' back to them, wait until you have an official offer and then give more than two weeks' notice. When I left my last job (though I was the chef there, so take into account your position) I gave them the option to keep me for 6 weeks, we agreed on 4 weeks and I'd come in a couple times over the two weeks after that to answer any questions/do any training that was needed for new staff. Telling people you're interested in leaving before you have an actual place to go can put you both in an awkward situation.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rama of Ra posted:

Double posting cause my boss just walked in NOT ONLY in slippers, but almost-sheer Energizer Bunny-pink pajamas.

Are you looking for new FOH staff members? Sounds like your boss knows how to get down.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Can almost guarantee they will accept less money too, aka the root of the entire problem.

:emptyquote:

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

El Padrino posted:

What can they be served....? Like, a glass of lukewarm water. And maybe the limpest boiled chicken.

I don't know, at that point, why even go out to eat?

Go out to eat all you want, but make a phone call or send an email the day before so that I can double check all my poo poo for a stray clove of garlic in a recipe that's used in a recipe so I don't poison you, and also have a heads up so I have time to make accommodations.

Then again, if they were actually severely allergic to all that poo poo they'd know this and would either do it or be terrified of eating food at restaurants.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

gently caress Aloha.

yes

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHVPS4DETH posted:

extremely BOH to be thinking of that as a perhaps inevitable possibility

source: i got called in on both of my days off this past week. i've decided that if anyone asks what i do on my days off i'll say that i vacuum seal my phone in a plastic bag, throw it in a lake and spend the day swimming and diving trying to find it

I have to go in tomorrow (it's one of my days off this week) and when I told the owner that she immediately apologized (though it's nobody's fault that I have to, one of our catering clients bumped their numbers up and I don't have enough salmon in house and delivery isn't until Thursday) and told me to take a half day Wednesday to make up for it.

It's not all bad, you just have to search for the gems.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Often I see it grouped first by course, then by protein.

This, but then within each group I try to make the first item something either inviting and familiar or unique and standout (whatever is less common for that menu), have the highest margin item (not necessarily the most expensive, but often times) second from the bottom or last (depending on prices) with something similarly priced next to it (to keep sticker shock to a minimum). I try to keep the vegetarian/specialty diet options near the middle of the section (I've gotten feedback that when they're the last items people feel like they were just tacked on as an afterthought). If it's a seasonal menu that changes more than a few times a year, chances are I've got a few dishes that stay on, and I try to make sure that they move around a little bit to keep the menu as a whole looking fresher for our regulars.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Someone, today, seriously suggested we have a flat top that we cook only vegetarian items on

I mean... a pan. What you're looking for here is 'a clean pan'.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Just out of curiosity, if you absolutely had to drain your fryer into a plastic bucket - how long would it take for the oil to cool off to a reasonable temp? Best guesses are perfectly welcome, I have no idea.

My last place, it made more sense with scheduling (and the fact that our alley was pitch black and kind of sketchy) to just clean the fryers in the morning before we opened, rather than at night. Plastic buckets were totally fine after 7-9 hours of cooling off.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

kittenmittons posted:

Why are you getting married outside in July, gently caress you.

I started at a catering company this year. Now all I do is catering. We have 87 confirmed weddings this year.

Yesterday the venue was beautiful, they had chosen good food and when I got there Postmodern Jukebox was playing, so everything was gonna be ok.

The venue was entirely outside and it was a 95 minute drive away from our kitchen.

I've made poor choices.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Backing up the hosts: good
Getting backed up by the general manager: great
Having the owner call and tell us that we all did the right thing: the best

Obligatory: https://youtu.be/YWRhDMBKLLg

All of this is good, but that song is fantastic, and thank you. That poo poo is going into the rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

....because that’s true? The center of a steak is fine, it’s when you grind it with all the parts exposed to air it becomes more sketchy.

This is true for some meats (steak), not true for others (chicken that's been exposed to salmonella, pork back in the 1950's), because different meats are more or less likely or able to carry certain bacteria or organisms. Salmonella is one of those that doesn't just exist on the surface of meat, which is why you need to cook chicken all the way through. Poulet de Bresse in France is raised in such a way that it rarely contains (and some say is genetically less likely to have, though a cursory google search isn't giving me decent sources one way or the other) the salmonella strain, and pretty much the entire chicken population of Japan (as of the last time I did a bunch of reading about this) is salmonella free because it's so insulated. You can legally serve raw chicken in those places (France, it needs to be tested while alive and then eaten the same day it's slaughtered). If a chicken is exposed to salmonella at any point in its life (which can be at birth or from contact with other chickens) it will carry it forever, and if you eat any part of that chicken that hasn't been cooked to a proper temperature, you can get ill.

That's also why if you ask any of your grandparents about eating rare pork they're probably going to look at you like your head's on sideways, but it's generally safe to eat medium rare or rare pork these days. Trichinosis is much less of a risk because of cleanliness and processing standards, and ringworm etc is basically nonexistent in pork in North America these days. Neither of those things were true 60 years ago.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 12, 2019