Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Secret Spoon posted:

You thought it tasted good? Nerd.

E: also I’m back. Trulucks no longer owns me.

I mean. It wasn't awful before.

Did you hear back from MS yet or do I need to poke someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

I sometimes work 9am-1am twice a week and I hate it.

You should speak to LC about the joys of computer janitor jobbing, when you are ready I can apprentice you in the dark arts of the mainframe and you can make 6 figures confusing everyone else and getting them to go away.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Field Mousepad posted:

Good. gently caress ranch.

Basically this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Phanatic posted:

Oh yeah, I wasn't making GBS threads on it, that's what most sandwich shops use for their steaks, the ones that slice it themselves from ribeyes are relatively few (and some of those turn out really lovely steaks so it's not like a guarantee of quality or anything). I've just never heard it called that, and 'cheese steak patty' sounded like some abortion like you'd get in Ohio or somewhere where they don't know what food is.

I'm moving from Los Angeles to Ohio. Should I just kill myself now?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm assuming it's for a job?

Yes. Same job and company they just offered a relocation to me. I took it because I'm tired of paying 30k a year in rent.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

We have good beer in Ohio. Behind Michigan and parts of the coasts but better than anywhere else (we are all alcoholics)

which city are you going to?

Columbus. I just visited last week. It was nice. The traffic was nonexistent. Short North was very fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Brute Squad posted:

I quit my last cook/bartender/whatever gig at the diveist of college dive bars because I graduated and I'm moving away to find a big boy engineering job. We had a staff meeting after my graduation party two weeks ago and the owners announced they were retiring from the bar business after 18 years and shutting down. They've been trying to sell the business for a few years now, but they want to sell it to the right people. It's been a college bar under various owners since the 70's, and alumni still come back and say it feels the same.

They formally announced it yesterday, and goddamn, the outpouring of tears has been amazing. It was an amazing place to work, and the owners spoiled the hell out of us. Feels good to have a hand in making an impact on so many people's lives.

Buy the bar. You know what to do.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Quabzor posted:

So a chef friend of mine is looking to get a tattoo focused on salt. I can only think of chemical structures (because i am a nerd) which are boring as gently caress.

Any good ideas as far as salty tatoos?

Salt bae silhouette

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
RIP my dude. Those shows were some of the best.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

I'm with you there, and I have to be up front a lot. I've got this rep now that apparently SOME nurses think I'm 'mean' when that's just how I am. I'm a pedant, namely. And I worked retail to long so I always have to make sure to repeat what they've ordered. Especially since folk have such an inordinately hard time figuring out cheese and buns, between 6 and 2 options, respectively.

So I will be in Dublin as of the 11th. If you want to get together in Short North or something sometime in July let me know.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe they mistook you for a teahouse and were afraid you would accidently serve them scallion pancakes

Look when I walk into IHOP for Osaka style okonomiyaki I want the drat green onions.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

It's IHOb now.

Oh yeah . Forgot.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly loving this.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how sociopathic you are.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
God damnit. They probated AMAHH for 30 days. I just wanted to know what the end of his job story was.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his Hog posted:

***Walks Into work**
OH gently caress YEAH WE GOT A NEW POS THAT NO ONE HAS TRAINED ON!

Shotgun Wedding! Here we go!

:suicide:

Welcome back.

So you still have a job?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bizwank posted:

There is always an implication, when asking for a raise, that you might leave if you don't get it. This way you proactively establish a legitimate need, an imbalance in the relationship if you will, and avoid the assumption that you're merely being greedy or flighty. It also doubles as a litmus test to see if your boss gives a poo poo about you as a person, or if they only see you as as a working unit who they will exploit for as much labor as they can for the least about of money possible.

Don't do this. You never ask for a raise because you are poor and need it. She deserves it. They promoted her and promised her a raise and didn't do it. That's bullshit.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

I don't, loving despise their parents though.

As I walked up to my car today from the store 2 little shits left alone in the car next to me threw multiple pieces of chewed gum against my car door from their car and started laughing.

I wanted to wait for the parents to come out and start screaming at them. Instead I just told the kids that doing that isn't funny and left.

I wasn't mad at the kids. I was livid at the loving parents.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Also, I'm not positive on this, but I think if you use Square they handle all of that and just charge a flat % to the shop. But restaurants shouldn't use Square because its designed for running a booth at a farmer's market, not the service industry.

Its funny how much I used to hate Aloha until I had to use any other POS system.

Square charges a flat percentage regardless of card, yes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ulmont posted:

Can you give more details on this - I see a lot of newer restaurants here (New Orleans) using Square?

Square is fine. It has a lot of updated capabilities since it's inception. It has built in kiosks/registers now, can track inventory and do forecasting. It also has every reader needed, swipe/chip/NFC and it's cheaper and easier to set up for small restaurants.

I'm not just saying this because I own a bunch of stock in square and want it to go up (I do, I got in during the IPO and god drat has it gone to the moon). I used it in my place and it worked great.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

An IOS system is just like anything else you pay for in life. You get what you pay for.

If you are running a Pizza Shop that does dine in, pick up, delivery, and online orders good luck with a lower tier iOS system.

You do realize that the front end of a program is not the same as the back end right? Just because it has an iOS interface for users does not mean that Square is an iOS only application.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Seriously we are grown rear end adults debating about straws....

You're right ban them and call it a day, ban all single use plastic items

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Unless someone is high out of their loving mind, you wouldn't notice a difference. Sounds like meth/coke/alcoholism.

e: I need more specifics. How was he dumber? Mistakes? Forgetting? Not understanding? Dude might take meds and forgot them that day. My boss knows my situation and I've asked that he let me know if I'm not performing as usual, because there's a good chance something came up around my noon pill reminder or something to that effect.

Nah if I smoke weed I'm dumb as hell. That's why I never smoke it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Some people function fine, some people for whatever reason seem to lose all higher brain function when smoking up.

I'm the second. It had been a decade since i had smoked when i moved to CA. I bought some of that legal mellow indica dank. I was a room spinning, couldnt walk , absolute idiot.

So I didn't buy anymore to smoke. I just kept a few grams on hand for party guests.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

I work at a campground local to a Mayo clinic, so I get a fair few people RVing to save on hotel costs while getting chemo / waiting on a transplant. I have been told by management that "Great! Get outta here!" is acceptable upon checkout so long as I say it cheerfully and no one complains.

Fortunate for me, most people die before they can write a bad review.

Owner Yelp response : you're just angry because you're dead.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Animal-Mother posted:

My day off coincides with Labor Day. Oh, we figured out what Dumb Dumb's problem is. He's shotgunning beers out back all night. The sous chef's beers.

A good system

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Field Mousepad posted:

Never ever do this.

Use vinegar so they can't see it.

The correct answer is here.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Skwirl posted:

Definitely send people home before you loving poison there drinks.

Salt and pepper are poison?

Don't you think you are getting a little hyperbolic here?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

It's the same principle as the douchebag who would heat a pan to 500 in the oven and then tell his least favorite dish guy to grab it, to "teach him a lesson." Don't be that guy.

Except one injures a person and one makes your diet Coke taste bad.

As a line cook we used to salt people drinks if they left them lying around because that poo poo was funny.

One bartender left a beer in the walkin and kept coming back to swig from it. So we filled it with tobasco. That poo poo was hilarious.

Granted we were all 16-22 so everything was funny back then.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Liquid Communism posted:

MOOP goes in the trash.

If you don't want it in the trash, put it where it goes.

Simple, easy, no gently caress-gently caress games.

Why is this so hard?

How old are we in this situation?

Because 20 year old me says gently caress that, salt and Tabasco time!!

40 year old me says I ain't got time for this poo poo and throws it away.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

14 hours yesterday, 16 hours today. Saturday and Sunday are the loving weirdest pockets of work. Saturday is work 4:00pm-8:30pm, then 11:00pm-2:00 am and Sunday is 11:00am-2:00 pm and 4:30-11:00pm, Monday is 9:00am-11:00pm

What the gently caress kind of schedule is this? Is this even legal?

In CA they have to pay you an hour of minimim wage extra for that poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 9, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Stay safe Carolina goons. AMAHD don't do anything too loving stupid and die.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Shooting Blanks posted:

In the rag bin, right?

Nothing like cooking over open flames

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

God damnit, why do I always forget about the attempted date raping?

*WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BEING AN ATTEMPTED (OR OTHERWISE) DATE RAPIST

Man i don't remember this one. What's the AMAHD rape story?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

pile of brown posted:

Pretty sure it's more of attempted rape but iirc:
got his coworker blacked out drunk and tried to sex her and then expected sympathy from the thread that she got drunk but wouldn't "get down"

I could be misremembering details but pretty sure it's in this very thread if you have search. (I don't)

Yeah I vaguely remember that. I liked the Spanish mom story better. I think she didn't get down either.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Well the trip to Spain went well. Great country.

I did a dick bag move and just left without telling anyone. I had a meltdown.

Well first day back and I got my job back so it all worked out. Restaurant industry!

How are you possibly 32. Are you legally considered an adult?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ApolloSuna posted:

I would probably go out of my way to drink at a bar that advertised they didmt serve miller light.

Yes I would also seek this out

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I’ll donate.

I'm in. someone make the thing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

bloody ghost titty posted:

Send it to the shop, we got you.

Yeah get it towed to a good place. I’m pretty sure we can handle the rest.

Edit:
The estimate for a starter from my mechanic friend is 300-500 for that car and year depending on part price. I think we can handle it.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 12, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ApolloSuna posted:

So here we go everyone, here is the GoFundMe:

<Mod Edit: Link removed.>

I put $50 bucks in it and sent JD the login info for the GoFundMe to put in their account stuff. Have at it goons.

Send link pls

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I've got a shout out to GFM's support to figure out why I was able to re-register with my email, but can't seem to log in to tweak where the money actually goes. In the mean time, please stand by, I don't want goons throwing their money into the ether.

I did order a new starter, though, and that alone has me all

edit: ooo, poo poo, someone from GFM is msging me. Brb.

double edit: holy crap we're already clearing our goal. Welp, time to start crying again.

Anyone who contributed: please pm me your address, or gmail me at kreutling. Y'all are getting some of my hot sauce, or my husband's apple butter --- your pick. Just send me your addy and you will get a jar of sauce plus some extra goodies and some genuine JD tears!

Bumped up that total girl. Get that car running and get yourself into a good place.

Working in the industry sucks when it comes to cash. I hope this community can continue helping each other when it really counts.

Also anyone I central Ohio is welcome to come get hosed up at our place. I have many guest bedrooms if you get too hosed to to go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yo, I'll be moving in a month and have freedom then.

Also I've debated posting this. But gently caress it, I'll do it. I've told my furry friends/fam. But this is the first I've said it outside of that circle.

I had a realization about things. So. Rather than tell the whole story about it, the short version. I'm a trans girl, I just didn't realize it for over a decade. Y'all are family, you industry goons. And yall are good and cool. <3

e - also I'm still down to throw money at the GFM. That's the last I'll talk about it. got a PM.

Cool! Let me know.

Also hooray for your realization. I hope everything gets better for you