Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
The holiday season is over, and i have three straight days off. It is glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

So, work was interesting this week. I was closing up, still had all the doors and windows open because it was hot as poo poo this week. Meanwhile, down the street an armed robbery is happening. Police arrive and chase the guy on foot. He runs up the alley like ten feet from where I'm standing, takes a shot at the cops, and somehow escapes. They still haven't found the guy.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Nope, just a (usually) boring small town. On the plus side, it did make me less stressed about my job performance the rest of the week.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Jaded industry goons, there are good restaurants out there.

I am a lowly dishwasher at age 31. It is my first restaurant job. I clearly have not made the best decisions in my life, but now I work my rear end off and can handle my station.

When I voiced my frustration about constantly having an unreasonable workload left by another dishwasher, they fixed the problem and gave me a 10% raise, because they know how much I bust my rear end.

They close for two days a week so I get an actual weekend, and I get 3 paid days off this week for the holiday.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I hate the holidays

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I'm finally getting a chance to do what I want, and I'm too loving scared to take a shot at it.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Like is it possible for a mildly autistic person to be an expeditor / line cook.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Merry real Christmas restaurant goons! Holiday season is over, we did it!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's hilarious how dangerous a kitchen can be what the gently caress is wrong with us?

nothing, we're the only ones who can appreciate the sweet release of death.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I am still waiting for the post-holiday slowdown, btw. Weekends have been more busy since new years and i hate everything.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I have two paid vacation days. What is this

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

You live in Cali?

Pennsylvania (the bad part). Honestly I love where I work but because of that (low BOH turnover rate) it has been such a struggle to work my way up the ladder. I'm getting some prep work but that's about it. Probably doesn't help that my social skills are poo poo, though.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Roll of Quarters posted:

Good luck everyone with Sunday brunch and women's World Cup tomorrow

I've been off for a week for the 4th and destroyed myself with alcohol. It's all I know.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

We once had a patron who had a "red and orange food" allergy.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Please do not expect gluten free fare from our restaurant. We literally bake bread from scratch here every day. Flour is everywhere and your gluten intolerance is most likely bullshit.

In short,

gently caress you.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Really glad my place doesn't have a deep fryer right now.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I would like to go on record that I loving hate catering. Specifically Friday and Saturday catering. And on the hottest day of the year.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Why are you getting married outside in July, gently caress you.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 22, 2019

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

"I've made poor choices" is pretty much the mantra of this thread/ industry.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Alkydere posted:

And I'm just gonna say right now that while you have good ideas, in reality there was no loving way to get a proper semi and 50-ft trailer into that parking lot in the day without crushing a few rich-people cars.

I fail to see the problem here.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I moved up to line cook after washing dishes for a year and a half.

It's been awesome and terrifying, but I think I'm through the worst of the transitional nightmare.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Whoops, didn't realize I was posting in the middle whatever the gently caress this is.

Good rule of thumb is that the owner is always at fault, though.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Congrats. A lot of it is intimidating and scary, but ends up being way easier than you initially thought.

Thank you, it's something I've been wanting for awhile.

After a couple weeks it's starting to slow down for me.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I make a lot of sandwiches right now.

People like those things apparently.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

AEAB

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

kittenmittons posted:

Employers are assholes the world over.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Holy poo poo I am bad at editing.

Anyway I've been a line cook for about a month after working my way up from dishwasher. By all accounts I'm doing well, but I wish I sucked less at communicating with other human beings.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Science WHORE posted:

We catered a wedding last night at a fancy craft brewery and holy gently caress I wish I could get a toe in the door in brewery science (I have a micro and chemistry degree, so I’ve been trying like hell). I only had a quick second to chat with one of the brewing folks but he loves his job and gets to do all sorts of traveling, conferences and education. Unfortunately, that was cut short by hundreds of drunken wedding guests.

The entire wedding party of 20 also decided to kindly come in to the restaurant for Sunday brunch today too without warning and without leaving a tip, so that was cool.

Our brewer works by himself in his own space and isn't subject to the whims of customers. Lucky bastard.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Science whore, come to my podunk town. We have at least 4 craft breweries within a half mile of downtown, and we're all dumb as poo poo. Also cost of living is cheap.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Our other main industries produce chips and pretzels.

It's like bio-dome for drunks.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Science WHORE posted:

I was on a job and only had a quick moment to chat since we were sharing some space in the back of the brewery, I’m kicking myself for not getting contact info though.

Is it in the Midwest? Because if so, I’d consider it.

Kind of.

Pennsylvania. The midwest of the i95 corridor.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Pennsyltucky.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

We're a growing region, okay.

Of people that can't afford to live near baltimore or dc.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Yeah those bridges were in disrepair due to neglect to begin with.

J/k they were actively pulling out the rivets themselves.

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 18, 2019

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

I guess young people ain't no picnic either to be fair.

Motherfucker, if you're good with the French onion soup, you don't need the gluten free bread for your sandwich. "Cutting back" isn't a thing. Please die in a fire.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Probably bad form to post during a shift, but I just had to walk away from a four top instead of selling them another drink because half the table is explaining to the other half what "furries" are. And while typing this from my corner hiding spot 9just heard the word "zoophilia."

You did nothing wrong.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

In less important news, people keep ordering poo poo five minutes before close and it's really annoying.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

We had our christmas party today, because of the rest of the month being pure hell.

Cheers

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Pittsburgh rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

gently caress yeah, not hating life until a month from now when valentines day comes around.