Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
I assume this is as good a place as any.
I lost(someone stole) my wine key, and I only have lovely ones left at home. Y'all have any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

mindphlux posted:

re: the best wine keys

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/franmara-2034-01-boomerang-black-waiter-corkscrew-with-cutter/208C2034.html

these "boomerang" ones are loving ace.

when I moved to germany for grad school, thinking I was an ace at deutsch and ready for all the things I had ahead of me like 'finding a place to live' and 'making money working literally any job', I quickly found I was in over my head and had to spend a week in a hotel to get my bearings. it was a hellish experience and I probably grew from how nuts it was at the time. my first two missions were 'finding literally any food' (doner) and 'finding literally any wine' (cheap muller thurgau), and then 'opening the wine' which was its own mission for reasons that make me laugh now but come on I was a shy 20 something guy being an idiot.

my solution was to ask my hotel for a wein-flaschen-offener (which makes no sense) and after a lot of miscommunication and 3 different people trying to help me out, I was finally delivered a corkscrew. it was a boomerang corkscrew with some corporate logo for a local wine distributor on it.

I "borrowed" and still have this wein-flaschen-offener and use it multiple times a week, and it's the best thing. I've considered having my logo put on a batch of them for own dumb IT business which has nothing to do with food or wine. If I ever have a business that does anything to do with food or wine, I will probably order 20 crates of them and do an oprah 'YOU get a corkscrew, YOU get a corkscrew, YOU get a corkscrew, EVERYONE GETS CORKSCREWS!!!'. which is objectively a good business model containing 0 flaws, come at me about food costs and profitability bro.

As much as I also love these, last wine rep we had in for a tasting emphasizes cutting the foil below the lip, and our managers agreed. So I need a blade.

I'll probably also get a pronged one for home because it looks cool as hell.

I forgot about Corkpops too. These are fun.
https://youtu.be/cAhmmfVtinM

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I mean, start ours at $18 an hour and I’m pretty sure benefits I they’re here long enough so... not really?

I haven't looked into real numbers ever, but I'd assume you're part of the exception. Ours start at $8-9/hr, and we've got a deal with a local apartment complex. Four students in a 2 bedroom furnished with air mattresses and craigslist pieces, internet/cable not included. Only $400 a piece!

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

empty whippet box posted:

If this is a 'deal' then I would really hate to see the regular rates.

Normally their apartments(none are furnished) go for well under a 1000.

These kids are getting hosed.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

The Maestro posted:

I love this, I’m on your side, but calling $18 wayyyy above is rubbing me the wrong way - $15 is min wage. $18 is not wayyyy above that. Or are the interns unpaid?

It's not way over min wage there, but I have to assume $18 is way over the national median wage for ANY culinary internships. The few people that I know who went to culinary school started and stayed well below that for a long time.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Don't bother nitpicking arguments on this.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You think he does 20k items a night?

My restaurant will nearly hit $20k on really busy nights and we have max 7 cooks in our lines. With 7 outlets he better be averaging that. With that much space I have to assume he's at a resort with hundreds of rooms too( which they make a killing on).

The problem here is that small time restaurants which "will" go under because of a wage increase are using the same arguments that massive chains use for depressing wages. I work for a Billion(ish) dollar company and we pay like dogshit, and use the same arguments that IG and Chef use. I came across a piece of paper that had our profit margins on it for various entrees when I was bussing years ago. We had to sell <10 lobster tail entrees on a Saturday, and it paid the entire labor budget for the night(front and back). In this same restaurant we deal with literally rotting, duct tape covered countertops in the server stations and rusty buzzer stations while we also pay dozens of people high 6 figures ( and multiple 7 figures) and buy millions in new property every year.

I can't find it right now but there's a study saying Wal-Mart can pay $15 and completely put it in the consumer for like $13 per year per customer or some poo poo. I'll find it in the morning. Google is littered with "Wal-Mart bonuses and wage increases due to tax cuts" right now.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 29, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

pile of brown posted:

Also I never realized that all the 20something sorority girls who talk about how bougie they are at brunch are actually controlling the means of production... I learned something today!

We've had literal 13 year olds in for desserts with 5 of their friends and they asked our 65 year old server ask what they should tip as they pay with their parents credit card.

And IG/CDC I don't hate either of you, but you both give off the "better than working class" aura. IG I wish my manager knew half of the culinary terms in your effort post. You both just happen to remind me of our old GM (who made high 6 figures) that told our manager to cut our only host because she was "the expensive one."

But change come from riling up the base of worker who are poo poo on. You two are a part of that, because you almost certainly have standards set above you as far as wages and poo poo go. When you talk about change before you raise wages, you need to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

A Man and his dog posted:

Ok this bougie term is out of hand...:

The hell people.

It's not really though. Words evolve, and whenever this started being used as an adjective it isn't necessarily wrong. As far as I've heard it, it's being used to describe someone who believes they are better than working class, which would put them into middle class (bougiouse by definition AFAIK).

The problem is that we now have two steps to working class. Those who can afford comfort and those who can't. They both still sell their labor(proletariat) to make a living.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Alobar posted:

tl;dr I get paid $20-$30/hr to mostly wash dishes because the system is broken. It is so, so broken.

That's incredible.

The contract crew that works with us gets minimum wage and no holiday pay. They're all immigrants that get bussed in from the nearest city. Same for 2/3rds of the housekeepers.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Are holiday dinner shifts typically slow shifts for anyone else?

We'll do 1500 across the resort for brunch today but only like 200 for dinner.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Oh yeah, I could totally work better with more sleep, but it's been so busy that I've just had to be at work 16hrs a day. need to hire several more cooks.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

What's the worst corporate-mandated script you've encountered? Just ate at a place that made the waiters ask "have we dined with us before" and man who even comes up with this crap

"Have a Grand Day"

Resort has "Grand" in the name.

I refuse to say it.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

So a chef friend of mine is looking to get a tattoo focused on salt. I can only think of chemical structures (because i am a nerd) which are boring as gently caress.

Any good ideas as far as salty tatoos?

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 6, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Dumbass double post.

vvvv: he's trying to go a little more "science/gastronomy" with it.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 6, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Anyone got methods for keeping mosquitos at bay? Were right off a golf course and lake (and swampland) in rural wisconsin. Come 9 o'clock every table that asks to sit outside will ask for a table inside as soon as we can greet them.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You got a few thousand bats lying around?

The feral cats probably scare them all off.

(I wish I was joking)

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

The resort I worked at toyed with something like this for the fine dining areas. It was a site that would allow customers to review individual servers and we were all supposed to make accounts with our pictures and info.

It went over like poo poo and several people threatened to resign immediately.

In better news apparently I served a legit "made it big" chef with dope rear end restaurants and TV appearances. He was a really nice guy and enjoyed everything. People talk hot poo poo all the time, but googling his name actually backed him up.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

Peanut butter is fantastic on a burger but it’s one of those things that you order once for the novelty and never again.

Place by me has a breakfast burger with bacon,egg, and peanut butter. I get that every time I'm there.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

Who the gently caress wants to be at work when they're not getting paid?

"Free" food is a hell of a drug.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

pseudosavior posted:

I've actually singlehandedly gotten every single FoH person to wash their own knives rather than just randomly leaving them wherever.

Now, if only I could convince our relatively idiotic night crew to actually clean them before putting them away at the end of their shift.

gently caress, FOH where I'm at have 2 sharp knives.
The bartender brought one from home for cutting garnishes, and a server brought one for cutting lemons.
May God have mercy on you if either of those knifes are not cleaned and put away BEFORE services starts.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Is there any reason server would give more than required cash change, rounding up to the next dollar to avoid handling coins?

To avoid handling coins.

I always say I'll be right back with the change, but it mostly goes straight to the server anyway. I don't particularly care about <1% of what I make at the end of the night. Most of our tabs go on a card or room charge anyway.

e: Wow what a lovely way to start a page.

In other strange news, for the last like 2 years, someone in HR was either grossly negligent or intentionally loving with our insurance (in a good way for us). 30hr is required for us to get insurance, and they weren't dropping us when we fell below that. Corporate noticed a few months back and had somebody look at the numbers.

They just got canned and significant portion of the staff just lost insurance.

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 3, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Trebuchet King posted:

here's a question--if you were gonna do an omelet-to-order bar one day a week for six hours, what kind of hourly pay would you think is appropriate for the person working it? let's say a tip jar can be factored in.

20$/ Hr. Regardless of tips.

In reality its gonna be 8$/hr

Quabzor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 13, 2018

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

^

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Recoome posted:

Guys now I am the annoying customer asking whether you take American Express

Being out of the industry is good

I've only had people ask if we take Discover.

Is it still a thing for places to not take amex or discover? I see both all the time.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Amex charges restaurants more, so yes some places don't take it still. I think everywhere pretty much takes discover, it's just a much less common card.

Recoome posted:

Yeah it is, also a lot of smaller businesses don’t take Amex due to the higher costs compared to Visa/MasterCard.

Huh. I didn't know they charged different.

The places around me seem to either take all cards or no cards.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Hauki posted:

pay a decent wage

This is the reason we were short 25 cooks last summer. Our resort was paying less than the small local places and we had to rely on J-1 Interns(that we charge for housing).

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

If you were in your mid-late 20s with no experience, how would you become a waiter? Lie and say you have experience? Asking for a friend (legitimately).

Does your friend have experience working in any other customer service?

Shoot for the serving job, but without experience they might push you towards bussing/hosting/running.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, i'm not sure where i suggested otherwise?

You asked "what the gently caress?" And he's answering. His boss almost certainly gives no shits about him.

My boss cares more about getting cheap carpet over the fact that it's near leafy camouflage and we have irregular height stairs that people keep falling down/up.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

As Thanksgiving approaches, it's time to reflect on things we're thankful for.

I'm thankful for my health, my loving husband, my friends...

AND THE FACT THAT I JUST DROVE MY CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A YEAR

I wish I could invite each and every one of you to my house tomorrow, I am so thankful for all y'all. I did promise video evidence of me driving her, so you know I didn't just spend the money on hookers and blow*, but it's too dark out right now. I'll get one up soon.

Leftover money is going to go to some odds and ends like new wipers, a car wash, oil change/tune up, a steering wheel cover (my steering wheel was practically crumbling in my hands after baking in the sun all summer), things like that. Also glasses so I can drive without squinting to death.

I really did cry upon getting in the seat and hearing her start up. I... Just... Thank you. Over and over, thank you.

*Okay, on that first drive I did stop by the co-op for a bottle of cheap champagne, because I think the occasion warrants it.

Happy Holidays!

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Heard a first last night.

A customer was upset that the beef tartare was too rare.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

ApolloSuna posted:

So my offer letter says I need to be scheduled 40 hours a week and complete xyz task. So far I've been around 43 and also do all task on top of it. I get that running a kitchen on salary is a loosing idea but at what point do I need to be like uhhh pay me? Is going to the store which is an extra feq hours a week, doing paperwork etc. How do yall factor that in? I want to do a few days at another spot to expand my skills but they said I need to be 40 hours a week here. Kinda quieted up when I asked is that scheduled hours or everything.

Depending on your state and your salary you might be entitled to overtime pay.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You should out them.

$20 says wife already knows.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

What, you never slept with or dated a coworker?

Or drank away your problems?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

What a weekend

Had to explain the importance of MLK and the civil rights movement to a foreign intern.

Had a busser drop his soundcloud link to a table. Who then played it at max volume on their phone.

Had a child bring a beyblade arena into the restaurant.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Stringent posted:

These are fun as heck.

I was incredibly jealous.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

We were off to a great start tonight. Reservations for 250 with about 50 or so sat.

There is no gas coming to our line.

"May God have mercy on our souls"

Line moves everything possible to the next kitchen (were in a resort and they are back to back kinda). Now 2 restaurant, 2 bars, and room service were coming out of a kitchen with twice as many cook as can fit.

Gas turned back on after 30 min and the line brings everything back out and continues (best as they can) as if nothing happened.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

They also often do a survey, which I’m sure these companies have weaponized against their employees.

I applied at an applebees once and asked about training and stuff. If a server doesn't get X% of guests filling out surveys you get a write-up (regardless of score). 3 write-ups and your gone.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

And you could relax for the whole month if the F&B manager couldn't juke the stat with the GM, because you were NOT getting that motherfucker competitive until the 1st and that's just reality now and its not changing. Not until the 1st anyway.

To start last month, we only had one review for several days. It was a negative review, and it made our official score a -100/100

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Skwirl posted:

It's not hard to save a decent chunk if you pay for everything with tip money and are okay at regularly depositing some of it (assuming your rent isn't heinous).

Also, don't develop a drug habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Haha that's amazing. The super awkward ones likely won't be in attendance, but I suspect you're right about the tipping. Go say hello to the mtg thread if you're so inclined, odds are even someone in there might be at the party or at least in town

We get a rather large DnD event at the resort I work at every year and as a whole they are some of the nicest people we get in. Some will require a bit of additional service and 8 Cokes with dinner, but they tend to tip appropriately.

One guy couldn't decide on what steak to order, so he rolled for it.