Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Willie Tomg posted:

ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE

I dunno, I'm doing pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

After 8 hours a day in California, after 40/wk everywhere else.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Let me tell you how cool plating 2 hours before an event and bringing things up to temp in a Rational is.

ITS REALLY loving COOL!

e: this may be the lowest stress my job has ever been.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Naelyan posted:

Do you have the ones where you can literally wheel the 8-or-whatever level rack into the oven, close the door behind it (rack and all), let it do its thing, and then just pull it out and wheel to the service station when it's done? Because those things are loving awesome.

Yeah, the smart cook center model. 100 finished plates fit on a rack, and you just reheat for 12mins, and the poo poo comes out perfect.

My new kitchen in the expansion has 3 of the newest model, I can control those from my phone or some poo poo. It's gonna be loving awesome!

What's really cool is I can sous vide hundreds of pounds of stuff in them, set the thermostat to 140F or what have you, and 100% humidity.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

He didn't stage, he did a tasting :V

e: and if he can prove he's not retarded to my boss over the next 6mos he'll be banquet sous or sous for the bistro in the expansion.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 29, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You just enjoy dragging him around Austin don't you?

He's really reliable, and I keep getting him higher pay :shrug:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Got fired from my dream job after I hit my head, passed out, and went on autopilot thanks to my anxiety meds and scared the poo poo out of everyone and drank a whole bottle of tequila.

Reason for termination? My potentially mind altering PRESCRIBED medications could be a clear and present danger to myself and others.

e: oh sure, I'll just stop taking those so I can go back to being a binge drinking ball of stress.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Well that was fast. What now?

I applied around, already got some call backs for sous positions, and one catering manager position. I'll bounce back in a week or two no problem. I've also got a full size paycheck coming my way and 10k in my 401k if I absolutely have to.

e: lawyer bud said I should sue them since the employee handbook prohibit s the use of antipsychotics, which is a violation of the ADA, but I doubt it's worth my time or effort.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

So you're saying, they need a sous chef... :getin:

I got an email from their recruiting dept advertising the position I was just fired from, asking me to apply today!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

caleb posted:

Does not compute.

I take hydroxyzine for anxiety/panic attacks. It can make you have waking dreams. My doctor's best guess was that I was on autopilot from that and went and decided it was party time in my "dream"

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

You take hydroxyzine during the DAY?!? I mean, it's good stuff, bonus keeps your sinuses clear, but how are you able to stay upright?

Double bonus, it's primarily listed as an antihistamine and very commonly perscribed for allergies.

I take 20mg Lexapro daily, the hydroxyzine is if I feel a panic attack coming on. I went from drinking 2-3 handles of booze a week to a beer or two a night afterwards.

For a while, I was taking 4mg cloneazepan twice daily and didn't feel a thing drowsy wise. I have an insane tolerance for downers though. Fentanyl doesn't even make me drowsy.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

you..... got fired? from like a hotel gig?

gently caress man, I didn't know my boi CdC went hard. also don't see how 'hitting your head and passing out' resolves into the outcome 'drinking a whole bottle of tequila'. but sucks either way.

Hydroxyzine puts you in a sleepwalking state sometimes. I had just taken one prior to cutting the poo poo out of my thumb on a can lid and fainting. Popped right back up on autopilot.

But hey, my lawyer buds want to sue the poo poo out of them for ADA violations, so that's cool. I got grilled on what meds I was taking when I went back 2 days later, turns out that's a huge no-no!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Oh wow, yeah, they're hosed. Please tell me they put it in writing that you were fired over your use of prescription antipsychotics.

Pretty sure they did, as that was the reason given when they called me and told me to come get my things

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

If you take a medication that makes you pass out or randomly decide to get loaded, maybe working around knives and giant pots of boiling liquid is in the best idea?

Co-workers followed me around for 3 hours taking photos and video taping me instead of calling EMS.

And I don't take it all the time, only if I feel a panic attack coming, and even then it should be just fine, and this was confirmed by my primary care AND a neurologist. It was just the pass out and concussion that put me on autopilot.

e: I'll just go ahead and change careers now, having just been diagnosed in the past 6 months. Just dump my 10 years of experience and hard work down the drain

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 7, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You're ignoring the part where he sliced his hand open and fainted, hitting his head and getting a concussion.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Actually, I assumed it was drug related, but my doctor tells me it was definitely from the concussion. It's pretty normal for people with serious concussions to have no idea what's going on.

But still, second someone saw me with booze they should have got security, not waited 3 hours where I happened to call WillieTomg by accident.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

???

Like do whatever you want in life but maybe consider that just because a doctor prescribes you a drug doesn't mean it is safe to take at work.

Except that it's totally fine to take as long as you don't plan on getting knocked out or going to sleep at work.

But hey, go right ahead and get hung up on the side effect of one of the safest anti anxiety meds on the market. Guess I'll ask my doc for some Xanax instead.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Then why mention the drug in the first place? It doesn't matter, dude isnt on my insurance, so go nuts, take whatever.

I'll continue to take my prescribed medications as protected by the ADA, thanks for your permission.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Like, you guys are aware that there are whole piles of osha poo poo about perception drug use in the workplace, but you all, like myself, work in an industry with little oversight ? But again, if you are not going to hurt anyone other then your self, then I don't really care what people do but I'm gonna think your kinda dumb.

Those regs are for narcotics. Like I said, all cleared with doctor. Unless you want to start firing the large sum of the US population that takes Prozac or Lexapro.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I FOUND THE TRUCK THAT RAN ME OVER LAST MONTH. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Fucker didn't even clean off the tire tread, and just slapped some Bondo or some poo poo over the massive dents I made.

Same loving color paint that got transferred onto my bike's fork and tires.

Today's a good loving day.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

cdc

I know you've stopped doing this at this point as far as I can tell

but literally please do not post another thing about your thing on the internet. lawyer up if you haven't already. as someone who is surrounded by attorneys constantly, it sounds like you have a pretty clear claim, maybe OSHA, but ianal. no need to reply to this post, just blink once if you understand how serious I'm being right now.

after you settle please post an independent thread on the proceedings.

Oh for sure.

Bud got me introduced to a guy with one of the more respectable restaurant groups in town, gonna go do a tasting/stage(yes I know we had the stage conversation, but this is an exec position) sometime this week. All farm to table, nice small menu, change it seasonally, etc. I can expect 60-70k, and the owner is a super chill guy who believes in life/work balance.

I'm just having a really good loving week.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hey guys tell me if this math works out.

I have a 7 lbs choice bone in rib roast sitting in the tepid puddle machine at 134. I plan on leaving it there for the next 24 hours.

Is this the right temp and time for this you think?

24 hours is a bit long for prime rib. I'd say 12-14 for that traditional texture. Hopefully you salted it before bagging. Take it out, pat it dry, pepper and garlic the poo poo out of it and roast at 400 for 15-20min.

134 is fine though. I usually just leave my anova at 134 for everything except beans and root vegetables.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

OH BOY FINISHING OUT YOUR EMPLOYMENT PAPERWORK SURE IS A GREAT TIME TO FIND OUT YOUR ID EXPIRED

I don't think it hurt anything too bad, and its not like I'm starving to death with an additional week until start, but shiiiiiiiiiiit there ain't nothing on this earth quite like making a tremendous rear end out of yourself 10 minutes after meeting HR

Hey at least you can be banquet chef soon, lol.

I've got an interview next week for an exec position at a trendy small plates type place that does 2-300 covers a night. Should be fun.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Naelyan posted:

That sounds like hell, but good luck. (There's a few reasons why I chose my current place, and high up on the list are "no breakfast/brunch" and "big motherfucking plates, most people max out at two courses")

Yeah, this place is lunch and dinner only, closed sun/Mon. Sounds like a good gig, and the restaurant group owns about 40 concepts across the US.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Lol, I am up to 4 sous, 3 exec sous, and 1 exec chef offer, all within a week.

Man, I've been selling myself short these past few years.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Welp, I'm funemployed til the new Fairmont opens in October. Good thing I had some savings and the wife makes bank.

No going out to eat 3-4 times a week though :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

just offer to wash dishes for a while man

Thought about picking up a part time cook job somewhere, but the money isn't a worry, I've already got a trip planned to go to Denver Sept 11-15, and I can use the rest of the time to work out and get back in shape since I've basically banned from any and all physical activity by my doctor til today.

Even then, I can't lift more than 10lbs in my right hand, and he doesn't want to see me working with my hands for at least another 8 weeks, so it all works out I guess. Last thing I want is for this thing to heal crooked and look like loving Quasimodo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

poo poo, and here I am about to open a 1000 room resort hotel.

The anxiety meds I started taking a few months ago have really helped curb my drinking, haven't even felt the need in over a month now.

Honestly, half the people in this industry should probably be taking Lexapro and/or Cloneazepan.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Turkeybone posted:

Out of the few culinary classmates I still talk to, I feel like maybe 10 or less still work in the biz, and only a few really "made" it, opening their own places.

Really, I find that if you can't make it into management, it's never gonna work out for you and you should do something else.

Being a successful chef has very, very little to do with cooking ability.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Is it a bad or good sign that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having restaurant work nightmares?

That would be bad.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Bailed out in my early 30's here after the third place stared the death spiral of late checks followed by closing. Three years later I'm making 4x my old hourly wage working in IT shif management and can actally take time off to do things.

If you have the skills to manage in food, you can manage anywhere, for vastly better money.

Otoh I'm close to 70k as a cdc(heh), the sous all make 80-100, and the exec is around 250. This is a 1000 room place though, with close to 50mil revenue scheduled for our opening year. And it'll only.go up.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

And you just got fired from your last dream job for taking prescribed medication and being involved in a workplace injury.

Well, there is that. And the inevitable lawsuit. But hey, Fairmont probably treats their people better than Compass Group.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

5 concussions in 3 months means I need an EEG, MRI, and neuropsychologist evaluation. Good thing I'm not doing poo poo til the new place opens in October, lol

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Field Mousepad posted:

How are you getting that many concussions?

Got hit by 2 cars on bike, fainted at work and had a whole no memory thing where I hit my head 2 more times I was told. So 5 in all. Lawsuits all around.

poo poo, I can't even get a CT scan now, because there's concern that it'll literally give me brain cancer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

guys :(

gently caress

I just got word that CDC was hit by a 3rd car, suffered a 6th concussion, was in a coma and given a CT scan by a junior doctor, got brain cancer, and passed away late last night.

:( cdc you will be missed.

rip bro, pouring one out for you tonight :hchatter:

cddddddCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC WHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I mean, I got a good laugh out of it. lol

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You probably have a concussion, so I don't trust your judgement on what's funny tbh

Funny story, on my way back from having my MRI just now, I walked since the place is like, 3/4 of a mile down the road. Lady coming out of the fast food place on the corner nearly hits me in a lifted F-350, so I continue to walk at my brisk pace and she rolls down her window to yell at me to "get the gently caress out of the way" and nudges me with the truck.

So I punched her side view mirror off.

Maybe not the best course of action given my history with vehicles, but is your fast food breakfast and rushing to work because you can't get your poo poo together more important than my well being? I don't think so.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Hey mindphlux, your poo poo was nearly prophetic, please post that I will win the lottery and get millions from all my lawsuits, kthx.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just make weed legal so people will chill the gently caress out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

WHERE THE gently caress IS MY WEED, DENNIS? I'VE BEEN WAITING IN YOUR LIVING ROOM FOR 5 MINUTES!

I take benzos and lexapro, so I'm always chill now. It's a loving game changer, that's for sure. Made me a better manager like overnight almost. e: and I've lost a ton of weight from not drinking myself to sleep every night, and stress eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Weed is legal here and people are definitely not chilled out.

I might end up moving out that way in a year or two, if this other job offer comes through. Got an exec offer from FOX restaurant concepts. If the money is right, might take it.