Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Has anyone here ever taught cooking classes? Some family members went to a few and I'm curious what the experience is like from the other side of the demo counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Liquid Communism posted:

Unpaid internships should be illegal, same as unpaid stages or soliciting artists/writers/photographers to work for 'exposure'.

Unpaid internships mostly are illegal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There are more criteria for unpaid work to be legal than "did not directly benefit the company". Also the stage being slower than usual or having some detriment isn't sufficient if they're displacing someone else, or if they're occupying an otherwise unfilled position.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Apply and get re hired lol

do it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

mindphlux posted:

cdc

I know you've stopped doing this at this point as far as I can tell

but literally please do not post another thing about your thing on the internet. lawyer up if you haven't already. as someone who is surrounded by attorneys constantly, it sounds like you have a pretty clear claim, maybe OSHA, but ianal. no need to reply to this post, just blink once if you understand how serious I'm being right now.

after you settle please post an independent thread on the proceedings.

Additionally, cdc, when both legal cases are resolved, please post a pic of yourself since at that point you will fully resemble your av at all times. :homebrew:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I have never been to as many brand new, completely doomed restaurants as I have over the past month in Charleston, SC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Amergin posted:

I haven't been around Charleston for half a year or so but I'd love some details. When I went around there with buddies at CofC it was all sort of snack food places aimed at college hipsters (ex. belgian frites + falafel shop, which was actually loving delicious). Fast forward a few years later and it seems like a ton of people trying to jump on the "authentic Southern food" trend from what's-his-face at Husk. Is that still the case?

I feel like Charleston tries really hard to be as "cool" as, say, Savannah or Asheville but there's just certain restaurant ideas that SC as a whole ain't ready for (and/or the high end "authentic Southern food" idea gets saturated quickly). Like every once in a while I want to bring authentic Chinese food to Columbia and then I laugh at myself and remember that Columbia's Yelp page's best reviewed list is basically "Which Wich," "Firehouse" and "Chik-fil-A." (God I fuckin' miss Firehouse & Chik-fil-A.)

As opposed to, say, Houston where at least you have a decent population to support some of these hair-brained schemes. Maybe.

I don't have time for a full effortpost with my restaurant experiences, but I can speak to why this is happening a bit.

When industry, especially from the naval yard, left, the mayor of Charleston was the Democrat Joseph P. Riley Jr., a political legend in the area. He basically headed off the city becoming Detroit by going absolutely all in on it becoming a tourism and retirement destination, something that actually worked very well (though the city absolutely has a ton of serious development and planning problems stemming from being in a Republican state, criminal mismanagement of various systems, perverse incentives, etc). One part of this was incentives and targeting that led to Charleston becoming viewed as a major rising "restaurant city" in global press. One of the big cases was when the Washington Post's Siestema, one of the most prestigious food columnists in the US, went of a tour of us "food cities" that started in Charleston. The combination of press, genuinely excellent restaurants, and relative market stability for real estate and employment has made a lot of people, from individuals to well-regarded chefs to restauranteurs to the terrifying global-scale restaurant holding companies, see Charleston as a great growth market- because, well, it is.

As always, though, most of the people actually setting up and running restaurants have no clue what they're doing. In particular, the franchisees that start up here are part of a zero risk new market strategy on the part of national brands. The franchisee has all the risk, so there's been a lot of that. One dude who clearly had never opened a restaurant before, and who had laid out their place like a trainwreck, was opening six fast-fancy places for the same company as a franchisee. All in one city. Doomed.

edit:
One big obstacle for Charleston that's unique is zoning. Republican state so zoning is, of course, horrible sprawl poo poo, but on top of that Charleston has unusually aggressive and broad-ranging historic preservation and Homeowner's Association regs, both of which really restrict the housing options for people in the income brackets that do things like clean floors, cook food or wait tables. NIMBYs of various kinds are routinely blocking almost all high-density development, especially stuff near areas where the food jobs actually are. I had the chance to chat with the lead investor on a whole bunch of restaurants opening night of an especially doomed place (dude had not a clue that things were as catastrophic as they were, but the place is already a ghost town a month later). He was complaining about how hard it was to find people for FoH or BoH because folks living on those wages basically have to take an hour commute to get to the wealthy exurb we were in. I suspect this is also having a straight up brain drain effect.

edit 2: Let me be clear, Charleston genuinely has an excellent food scene, especially upscale. The city's just got an unusually high proportion of clueless startups that are going to be toast, too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 14, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Plan Z posted:

Working multiple jobs a different points gives me nightmares of forgetting to show up to a shift at a job I quit years ago.

I now work in a place where everybody shares cooking/serving/register duties and we depend on tips. Today the business earned more in taxes than it did in tips. I do like the actual work and my boss is a fantastic guy and the food is amazing, but I'm doing more and more every night since one manager keeps injuring himself to the point where he can barely lift chairs, and a co-worker girl comes in blasted on Benzies and does almost literally nothing all day (she's also loving said manager). I'm working with a friend I'd lost contact with in high school after kids staged a riot against him (Appalachian high school suuuucked) and we work great together but we're getting less shifts together so I'm spending more and more nights just doing practically everything and I'm burning out hard. I think I'm mostly just sick of closing. An hour of scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, and restocking after getting hit all night just to come in the next day and get chided for forgetting to refill one thing loving blows.

I'm going to be starting programming classes at the local tech school soon. I can't take this anymore.

Goondolences, Z. I'd hoped that place would be different. Glad you're getting out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Aluminum can corrode for other reasons, but it doesn't rust. Be aware that many online sources talking about aluminum cookware erosion are pseudoscience Mercola-type stuff.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've put up an effortpost of resources for anyone in the Harvey-effected area here.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Time for another Make Vox a Better Diner Question. How should I arrange my plates/utensils when I am done to make the server's work as easy as possible?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Thank you! Any more specific instructions for dos/don't s with paper or cloth napkins?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

odinson posted:

Lets talk otc stimulants.

Any thoughts or experiences using caffeine pills vs energy drinks? Currently spending at least $50 a month on Monsters while supplementing with coffee. Amazon currently has a 24 pack for $30 which is $1.25/can where I normally pay $2/. That is a great deal, but more money could be saved.

I've read that the effects of the non-caffeine additives in various energy drinks are pretty minuscule, so I'm assuming just the pills would be way cheaper since I only drink the sugar free ones or the 10 cal Rehab teas. Before I go too far down the rabbit hole and start researching different home made concoctions of sports/energy drinks or ECA stacks I figured I'd ask here first.

I can speak to this, I was at the NIDA conference in...I think it was 2009. There's no good research on the effects of botanicals that metabolize into caffeine, such as guarana. Some of them can have individual difference metabolic effects-hit harder, faster, worse side effects, whatever. I recommend sticking to stuff that just uses and refers to caffeine, and using the big names. The more obscure the company, the greater the risk the energy drink/pill/whatever is contaminated in some way. Monster is fine, they're big. Pills, and especially gums and powders(which are hard to keep pure) are riskier for being hard to manage dosage. A caffeine OD does exist, but it's not fatal, just incredibly unpleasant barring pre-existing cardio conditions.

As others say, coffee is almost always a fine choice. Try to not mix caffeine with other substances, it can genuinely gently caress you that way. There's a reason FDA came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 5, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Shooting Blanks posted:

As I understand it, the main reason they came down on caffeinated alcoholic drinks is because the caffeine can you keep you awake past the point where you'd normally pass out, which increases your risk of alcohol poisoning and death. Interactions with other substances aren't nearly as well documented.

The Maestro posted:

Plus the fact that one is a stimulant and the other a depressant. Not good on your system.

Yes, that's exactly right. Sorry, I should've distinguished more clearly between the caffeine/alcohol and other interactions. Some of them were also being marketed as "functional beverages" (not a legally recognized category), like a previous formulation of Rabbit Habbit, which was/is basically marketed as a date rape drug.

odinson posted:

I should've worded my original post better Skwirl. I now work in a smaller restaurant that doesn't get a lot of coffee orders and the other staff don't drink much of it at all. This is different compared to my old job where coffee was always available. After my initial "caffeine drinks vs. pills" search I started to delve deeper into homemade gatorade, nootropics, hippie juice blends, pre-workout drinks, etc. I figured I could eventually ask similar questions in a coffee, nootropics, or YLLS threads, but didn't know where to start and would try here first. Maybe a giant thermos of a (possibly cold brewed) batch of coffee will be fine for me. I've never really needed more than caffeine to really get through a workday and I've known plenty of coworkers who are the same.

Nootropics, at least as discussed by marketing and users, are generally a set containing several different categories of bullshit that can be hard to distinguish without a deep dive. A given nootropic product will a) do nothing, b) maybe do something but not what it says, c) gently caress up your internal organs due to sample contamination, d) contain something that has a similar effect to meth, but will be marketed to convince the user it's not, e) be meth marketed as meth, or f) some combination of the above. They're dietary supplements at best, but most of the time they're just plain 'ol illegal drugs, except sold with marketing that makes silicon valley types feel smart about taking them.

Coffee's fine. Energy drinks from any major company are fine. Caffiene pills from any major company are usually fine. The further afield you go, the more detailed technical knowledge you need to tell what does what, and the more you have to trust people operating in the fringes/outside of the law about the product. There's no need to over complicate this if you're looking to stay awake, and no need to look for caffeine if you want to get high.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
A Man and his dog, was the keg empty because you finished it? Did the customer watch you finish the keg after he placed his drink order?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
The Restaurant Industry Thread: Don't forget: you're here forever

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Enjoy your meal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
You too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
There's a lot of unnecessary capitalization in that menu.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Has anyone here worked for Raising Cane's, the chicken finger fast food company? I just visited on a whim and now I'm trying to figure out what the hell is going on with their founder.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Yeah, I've read that, it's written by the guy. It's incredible, the whole restaurant chain is like a shrine to him. It's named after his dog, there are little signs talking about him and how he personally made management decisions everywhere...plus paintings of the dog, and him, and merchandise with his face on it...The text on the wiki pages is identical to the content of some of the signs.

It smells a lot like he inherited a couple billion dollars and decided to build an entire regional fast food chain that sells only chicken fingers as a vanity project. It's like a downscale Trump with better food.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 16, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
How do y'all feel about dogs in restaurants? It's a trend here, and I'm curious about the potential issues.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The Restaurant Industry Thread: They're money laundering. Pretty common.

How can I report places that are doing this to the police in a way that leads to their closure?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Sorry I’m not a fan of organized crime? :shrug:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Willie Tomg posted:

also if you really, REALLY wanna crusade against organized crime and money laundering, then gently caress the restaurants whose proprietors just need a little of that capital-C Capital, focus your efforts on scrutinizing the flows of money into real-estate, with a special focus on the gentrifying parts of urban cores.

I'm already doing that. My area's going to be reworking the development and zoning plan after the last set of elections got most of the real estate development people thrown out. Municipal fracturing is making that process take longer in the broader area, but there should be good results with the next round of major elections. I wasn't aware that restaurants were also a mechanism for laundering. If I don't have the ability to do anything directly there, then that's fine- but now I know a bit more about it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 30, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Noted, I appreciate your concern and I'll not stir anything up.

opens Shakespeare bust, enters bookshelf, slides down pole homoerotically

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Sorry you don't like 3rd party delivery, but business is business. May as well turn away early birds and latecomers because of the inconveniences to you, and the arbitrary increase in work.

I would like to suggest a compromise position- tell me that Ubereats is affiliated with organized crime, citizen!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Midniter posted:

All of this should really lead to the logical conclusion of getting rid of tipping in general and paying employees a living wage while at the same time increasing menu prices that people end up paying for anyway in the form of the gratuity, but I feel like it's going to go in the exact opposite direction and just open the floodgates for further wage theft from those most vulnerable.

It's a Republican measure. Search your heart about the intentions and effects.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I have a much lighter question. Shrimp with tails on. Speaking only as an ignorant customer, why? Making me disassemble my meal and inevitably find bits of tail somewhere kinda hurts the dish. Why do so many places do this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Trebuchet King posted:

shrimp actually just came up recently in sietsema’s q&a.

some of it’s presentation, some of it’s to keep the tail from burning in certain prep methods, since it’s narrower than the rest of the shrimp.

Well, it’s dumb. Especially the presentation argument. I see tails on my shrimp in, e.g. a pasta, I’m not impressed, I’m repressing the urge to curse. Shrimp aren’t soft shell crab, unless they’re in a cocktail they’re usually mixed into something, and now i’m Stuck removing and de-tailing them and either eating them separately, or trying to mix them back into my dish.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Do you get angry at pits in olives? Suck it up big boy.

I do when they’re on a pizza.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 16, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Anne Whateley posted:

Agreed. If it's something like shrimp cocktail, leave the half-tails on for a handle. If it's a shrimp boil, leave on all the heads and legs and everything, I don't care. But if it's in pasta, gently caress that, I don't want to reach into my pasta and get sauce all over my hands every two minutes.

This whole thing was prompted by shrimp in a pasta dish, in a relatively fine dining setting.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Trebuchet King posted:

Is D&D still super toxic? I’ll admit I like the idea but trying to explain all these issues to regular people is...daunting.

Let’s put it this way. I am a regular D&D poster. Imagine hundreds of me. Talking about shrimp tails, and cooking meat strictly to USDA guidelines temperatures. Relitigating the viability of no tip restaurants, weekly. Forever.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 22, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I can only apologize, and promise to try harder in the future.

This seems like an excellent time to discuss self-driving cars and the nature of the 2016 Democratic primary.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 22, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Please don’t bitcoin. I’m starting to think a cautionary/moralizing anti-bitcoin bot could post once a day in every forum and theirposts would never trigger reports.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 29, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Trump’s tax cuts are really paying off! 💰 💰 💰:homebrew:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

All the Alto-Shams have WiFi so I can program them from my phone, pretty stoked about that.

The question is, can I program them from my phone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Some menu item and formatting ideas for your new place, CDC.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Dry ice? Try clear ice. It takes you out of the red, and has an ingredient to moisturize.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Skwirl posted:

It’s totally a living wage as long as you don't plan to live that long.

Ftfy, thread title, etc