Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

TheKennedys posted:

eh, it's just extra money while going back to college, so it's not like I'm here forever. The people (Mina aside) are awesome and it's a ton of exercise so I'm not really complaining so much as venting, I guess

Dude, you're falling apart physically at a job that takes a heavy toll on people mentally despite apparently having a better paying option literally next door because of, by your own words, SPITE. You're not venting, you have loving stockholm syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

rather than a line full of entitled and mouthy shits.

Wanting to get paid for the work you do is being entitled?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

What are you people doing to change these monstrous practices? Or are you just whining about them in an internet comedy forum? You work within the lines set by the industry at large, for better or worse.

In the past, I've hired 2 people who complained about not being paid for a stage, and both ended up quitting within a month because they "thought they would have moved up by now". That's the entitlement I'm referring to.

It is what it is, I'm too busy running a restaurant to go out and picket in the streets about ending the barbaric practice of the culinary stage.

Well, this is going to sound crazy, but when I bring in a potential new hire to work a shift to see if they're actually worth hiring I pay them for their labor.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

You guys aren't wrong, people should be paid for their stages. But right now, they aren't, and I'm not going to change that. Cooks are already underpaid in general because customers REFUSE to pay realistic prices for food, and the cost has to come from somewhere, and that ends up being labor. There is a complex set of problems that leads to the current industry environment, and it sucks.

If paying someone for a 6 hour trial shift is going to kill your restaurant then you're running a lovely business.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Doesn't the IRS offer a cut of the evaded taxes if you give them credible information about it?

If they do I'm going to guess that "I had brunch at a restaurant with more employees than customers and some randos on SA told me that means they're money laundering" falls short of the criteria for credible information.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

People would lose their minds over itemized bills. Can you imagine giving a bill that said "wings 50¢, sauce 5¢, rent $5, insurance $2.50, wages $5, exterminator $1"? Why is health insurance the only thing to break out?

Also why doesn't this idea apply to any other industry? Would you expect to see an health insurance charge on the bill for your oil change? Or at the grocery store? How about a gym membership?

Restaurants putting an itemized health insurance charge on a bill isn't them nobly telling customers what they're paying for or virtuously showing that they treat their employees well - it's a way for them to sour the public on the idea that businesses should have a responsibility to provide benefits to their employees.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

So our minium wage here in the province of Ontario is going up to $14/hr as of Jan. 1, 2018, and a local fancy restauranteur tweeted:

1000000% for the rise in minimum wage. Just the start. BTW, our prices are going up. Thank you for supporting our employees. #bestguests

I'm not in the restaurant industry, but this just seems like "hey bud why didn't you pay them what you thought they were worth before?" But then I remember the title of this thread and I'm like "oh yeah"

I'm not sure if the market situation is the same here (college town, USA) as it is there, but a big issue depressing prices, and thus wages, around here is an oversaturation of restaurants that are either failing within 6 months of opening, getting by on razor thin margins, or making ends meet by cutting corners and costs as much as possible. The diner I work at now pays really well for the area, but we definitely get complaints about how high our prices are for "just a diner", and "how dare we charge $9 for a burger" because the lovely diner three blocks away charges $7 (for a frozen burger that's smaller). Why, they just could go to Applebee's and get two meals and an appetizer for $20 (pay no attention to the $5 Bud Light).

Action George fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
The internet in my town went down in the middle of our breakfast rush, killing our ability to process credit cards.

Being a little diner we have no system in place to handle credit card payments offline.

I haven't drank this much whiskey in a long time.