Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I dunno, I believe it. My last supervisor was married to a dude exactly that stupid.

I don't think it's even stupidity at that point, it's malice. He's trying to ruin the nice stuff she gets pleasure from because how dare she take joy in things he doesn't like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Naelyan posted:

I'm the restaurant and some of my coworkers are telling me they've never taken scales off of salmon. If it's a tiny lake perch or something, yeah, sure, but fuckin' atlantic salmon. and were wondering why I was freaking out when I figured out they sent some yesterday that were not at all descaled.

Frankly, if I ordered salmon in a restaurant and it showed up with scales still on, I'd send it back. I don't want to eat scales, and it’s a basic step that should have been done before the fish ever hit the pan. I might even be upset enough to ask for it to be replaced with a different dish that can't be messed up in that particular way, since if it showed up with cooked with scales on, I don't have any guarantee that a replacement would be descaled.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Naelyan posted:

I feel this in my soul. I'd order takeout ever night of the week if I wasn't making zero money and also getting fatter by the day as it is.

I'd be buying more takeout, but basically nowhere delivers where I live. I'm crossing my fingers that the Doordash expansion will bring some stuff that I'm interested in ordering.

Right now, my options are McDonald's or 7-11, and I think both of those will do just fine without my money.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I don't understand buying canned meat unless you're on a budget or making bulk soup, and I kinda figure that sort of "home made in a mason jar" stuff would cost more than what you can buy at the store.

Well, in this specific case, I think it's Maritime brainworms. Food is legitimately a lot more expensive over there, especially if you live on Cape Breton or PEI, due to the same factors that result in food price hikes further north: it needs to travel further, and there aren't as many good routes to get it to the markets.

So people (ime) will turn to doing what they can to make things go a little further. Most people I knew, knew of someone who went deer hunting in the autumn and the meat from that would be shared out around friends and family, with priority given to folks who needed it more. Likewise, there was usually at least one or two people who would go fishing.

And not everyone has access to a chest freezer. But most of them know someone's grandma who knows how to can jams and pickles and even any meat that needs to be preserved, and she's willing to teach family. And if you've got more than you can reasonably use yourself, you share the wealth and you don't charge more than a token fee so that it doesn't look like charity.

So I'd be surprised if it were being sold for more than $20 a jar. Heck, $10 a jar would surprise me, considering that it’s completely unlabeled; this has the air of a guy who took a moose or a bear without a permit, and is trying to get rid of the evidence.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Mrs. WITCHCRAFT works in a hospital and had a new hire give unsolicited aura readings to each patient they interacted with. And coworkers. The patients were not amused. Nor the coworkers.

How do these people end up being the most hire-able candidate? Out of tens and sometimes hundreds of applicants, that's really the best you can do?

Some people are really good at keeping the crazy under wraps until after they're hired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Animal-Mother posted:

Anybody recommend some good sole inserts for us flat-footed mutants? I feel like the quality of Dr. Scholl's has gone down a bit. I'm destroying these things.

Yeah, the last pair of Dr. Scholl's Professionals I got came looking like something had chewed the hell out of the built-in inserts. The only reason I didn't return them as soon as I saw that was because even hosed up soles were better than the busted shoes I was replacing, and I didn't have any work-appropriate shoes to use in the meantime. (Also, no energy.)