Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a bar near me makes a mescal cocktail with tobacco simple syrup and it's tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the most frustrating experience i ever had was working a fast food register in high school and having people brusquely cut me off during the upsell pitch, ring up and take payment for the order only for them to pause and then order a drink right after i was finished with the transaction

it's a really small thing but for some reason it felt utterly dehumanizing in a way that the belligerent customers never managed to. like, people look down on fast food employees so much that they'll automatically discount anything they say

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

People put it on goddamn everything they eat and that is disgusting to me. I can't imagine doing that with any condiment, especially the same one every time.

people always told me college would expand my horizons, which i kind of doubted since i went to primary and secondary school in a diverse urban setting

then i went to a rural college and learned there are people who dip their loving pizza in ranch dressing and on that day i learned to hate the other

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
bourdain seemed like a swell guy. as someone who's two pleasures in life are basically traveling and eating while i travel he was pretty much my hero

his video on in-n-out always impressed me

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how they worked it all out. There's def not a contract.

i'm sure this isn't what amahd meant to imply, but it would really fit that he works at a spot where no one actually was given employment contracts

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The General posted:

I think you have to be crazy to work anywhere in a kitchen outside of the dishpit. I understand you'll never make more than minimum wage back there, but you know what. It's simple. Can't burn anything, don't have to worry about if there's 20 chits on the board, or that some ingredient is running low. Just need to know how many of each dish can pile up before it's a problem.

What I don't understand is why the industry standard dishwasher doesn't was the dishes. Just throws them through the sanitizer and hopes they'll come out clean. I can't count the number of times I've pulled a "clean" pot off the shelf only to find a disgusting ring of soup scum from the day before on the inside of the pot.

Once my boss asked me what I thought of the new dishwasher, and I said "Find somebody else." when he asked why, I showed him a 6 plates with various food bits stuck to them in the recently cleaned area. He just shrugged his shoulders and wandered away.

that's kind of bizarre reaction considering that in my neck of the woods that many dirty dishes is a critical violation if the health inspector sees it

anyway, my theory about the incredibly poor pay and management in general in the service industry is less that it's capitalism (it is that though) and more that the actual smart people just go into more lucrative fields

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for a long while after i left the industry i felt like i was slacking because i wasn't just destroying myself physically and mentally and then i eventually realized that that kind of behavior is generally not expected of you in other fields

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
how open is your outdoor seating area? might be able to put up mosquito netting if you're just talking about a small patio or semi-enclosed area

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
for any active prevention or suppression plans you're going to need buy-in from neighboring property managers which sounds like a pain in the rear end to me

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you want to take more active measures check with your county health department or other local health and human services, someone should be able to put you in touch with whoever oversees mosquito abatement in your area and then can probably give you some useful info/ hook you up with reputable local companies

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
oh, i misread the location

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Unrelated edit: today in "wtf" tickets...

2 PANCAKE
*no green onions*

maybe they mistook you for a teahouse and were afraid you would accidently serve them scallion pancakes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just got brunch in a very well known dinner spot and it was absolutely empty. my friend and i got a full brunch, some german tourists stopped in for a beer cocktail and that was pretty much it from 10:30am to noon when a few lunch folks started coming in

i asked the waitress if this was typical and she said yes and i'm trying to wrap my head around why they even open for brunch service

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Maestro posted:

You’re right, only 6 years or so. But I’m FoH so I’m always wrong and it’s questionable whether you consider me industry or not, though I’ve worked my way up from busser to food runner to expo to bar back to server to bartender to bar manager. Maybe I should contact our owners and tell them they should control how we seat our restaurant.

i've never worked in a place successful or fussy enough to need to do this, but I know it's a thing here that some places time out all the seatings in advance and turn people away if they don't fit in to their schedule even if a table is technically free.

in other news i had my second brunch in two days to celebrate my white collar status. it was at a really new place with really great soul food, i checked their yelp and half the reviews are filled with glowing comments on the food followed by a note that they got too many ice cubes in their tap water and a one star review and i'm so glad i don't work in this industry anymore.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nippon is an unforgiving land

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
every bit of professional advice i've seen on raise negotiation is to clearly list what skills you bring to the team, what you've accomplished recently, what new responsibility you're planning to take on, and what you believe all of that to be worth

employers are always going to respond better when you sell yourself than when you seem to be begging

and who cares about the implicit threat that you might leave? that's the one saving grace of the industry, you can walk into any other kitchen in the region and likely as not be hired on the spot, and that's even in times when unemployment isn't at record lows.

i knew this before i left the industry from my time working in management, but in the time since i've had it driven home to an even greater degree by the white color world. even if your boss is cool and considerate and great, they are not your friend. be polite, be professional, be a team player, but don't try to be their friend and don't try to frame your communications to them through emotion

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Quabzor posted:

Huh. I didn't know they charged different.

The places around me seem to either take all cards or no cards.

as someone with a company amex card, yes there is still a noticeable number of businesses in all industries that don't accept it and it always happens when you need to make an emergency purchase

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
why is it so tough for people to set up clear lines of communication? two thirds of the time it's just schoolyard bullshit

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mezzanon posted:

Worst question to hear as a server: "I GET FREE REFILLS ON SODAS RIGHT?!?"

on the flipside i've been to places that don't differentiate between refillable and non-refillable drinks and you only find out the juice you were drinking was $4 a pop when you get the check, so i have the tendency to ask unless the menu is clearly labeled in that regard

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mezzanon posted:

I have never in my life been to a place that gave refills on juice.

they exist!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Solefald posted:

Sooooo I've finally entered the restaurant industry and ended up slicing a bit of my finger off on my first day because I was a bag of nerves. https://twitter.com/JernlovCT/status/1041970446672048128?s=09

I'm still mega nervous and I really dont think I can do this kind of job but it's the only career I have any qualifications in. Will I ever stop melting down when you get too many tickets? Will I ever pick up the pace? It's so hilariously stressful and I do love it but I'm not sure if I could do it for the rest of my life :(

look for opportunities to jump ship to a better industry and then never look back

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm sure you're physically and mentally capable of doing the work, but it's not worth it in the long run

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Paycheck isn't a right. I've got a kitchen to run; follow the rules, respect health code, and work professionally. If you can't manage that, I'm sure someone else in town will let you do whatever you want for significantly less $$$/hr, but I don't have time for that.

e: the correct answer is throw the drink away, explain to the person why they can't have an uncovered drink on the line(spilling your coke in the mash means we lose X amount of dollars, and you're going to have to remake the mash!), and that it is non-negotiable. If they do it again, write them up, enact a personalized action plan, and continue to monitor. If it happens again, 2nd write up and/or suspension. 3rd time is termination.

this is so obviously the right answer that i can't fathom the thought process for spiking someone's drink instead. i've worked in fast food kitchens where that kind of management would have been deemed incredibly unprofessional

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't think that kind of thing reflects poorly on someone because i care about the employee, i think it reflects poorly on someone for wasting time with juvenile penne ante bullshit instead of creating a basic professional environment; while additionally leaving their rear end without much cover since i'm going to take a guess that "spike their drink" isn't written down in their workplace disciplinary policy in the event that a terminated employee starts making a fuss about harassment and a hostile work place

the fact that it's a lovely thing to do to a person is entirely incidental

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

As long as we're having management chat, I've got a pickle, and I'm fairly new to being a shift lead so I don't know how to deal with/phrase this to some of the chucklefucks I'm wrangling.

There's always at least one person who pisses and moans about having to work until close and not getting first dibs on cuts. Then in the next breath they talk about how poor they are. I just want to shake them and bark "DO YOU WANT MONEY? Do you not understand that the more hours you work, the more money you get in your paycheck, you loving moron? Also, do you realize you're bitching about closing to your shift lead, who closes every goddamn shift and NEVER gets to cut out early?"

...sorry. Guess I was less looking for advice, and more needing to vent, it was a rough day. The kicker for me today was a guy who pulls this and was all puppy-dog-eyed when yesterday, as the remnants of Hurricane Michael bitch-slapped our town, whined about having to walk home in the torrential rain and wind because "I can't afford the bus until I get paid tomorrow" and my boss took $1.75 in quarters out of the register so he could get a bus. Then today, payday, I'm stuck in line behind him at the gas station right after we got off work at 3pm as he's buying a $261 money order. Bullfuckingshit you didn't have bus fare, you gently caress, you came in at 5am and we don't get breaks, so I know you didn't get your check and cash it already. You had bus fare for days. Nothing adds up, except that I hate this guy because he's lazy and stupid as gently caress and lied to us all.

obviously there's an extreme inconvenience physically and mentally on a day you had scheduled off, and lord knows i've brushed off a desperate call for help when i happened to have an elusive two day weekend lined up and planned out, but it would boggle my mind the amount people would bitch about not getting hours and then beg off whenever anyone tried to call them in on short notice

and i know you already know this, but no one will ever, ever give consideration to the way you bust your rear end. pushback when your boss don't recognizes it, but let it just roll off you when people you're supervising don't notice because they never will

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

Maybe he was getting a money order for rent? Or a car payment or some other bill that had to be paid, I'm not defending him but I've been there.

i'll give him credit for asking for bus money instead of a ride honestly, i would eat the $1.75 before i'd deal with some goober completely loving with the setup of my passenger seat any day

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Animal-Mother posted:

We asked the boss for some more knives because we were always short one. He brought one of those home knife sets in the wooden block, all dull as poo poo and apparently made of a magical metal that cannot be sharpened.

Where do our knives reside in our restaurant, you may wonder? On a magnetic board on the wall? In a special and safe designated space? Washed, dried, and placed into sleeves?

No. They are thrown in a drawer. We are a drawer knife place.

what the gently caress? putting up a magnetic strip takes 15 minutes tops and costs peanuts

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Those peanuts need to come out of the business' pocket, not the cooks.

yeah, i'm not sure where i suggested otherwise?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i've always heard rumors of a thermometer on the outside of protein that identifies time-temperature abuse, but i never actually saw it on any packaging

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

iospace posted:

They have it in the medical industry, per se. Sterilization bags will have a marker on them that will change colors when exposed to temperature X for Y amount of time, indicating proper procedure.

Unless that's exactly what you mean.

oh yeah, there's a type of tag that will indicate if a package has been left above 41 degrees for too long, but i personally never dealt with any suppliers who used them

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

Makes sense from a bloodless HR perspective. If you're on the clock, you're the company's liability. You get hurt crossing the street to get to subway, but are on the clock, you could come back at them.

i'm not an hr expert but i'm pretty sure that if someone is on the clock but not conducting work at the companies direction the employer is not liable

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
of course restaurant owners make policy decisions that have no basis in reality all the time

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
also business owners in general :(

i've been having kitchen flashbacks as i try to explain to the boss why we can't retain talent when we pay below industry standards and treat employees like potential criminals

they still don't get it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

our... I don't know the word for this, the guy who brings us to-go boxes and cups and straws and stuff?

paper goods

and most owners i've worked for would cringe if they were told they had to pay on delivery instead of having some time to float

but they were not great business people

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
there's probably more reliable ways to assemble a quote than getting a tiny sampling of prices from people spread throughout the entire country

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is why whenever a server tells me something that should be painfully obvious about a dish i just smile and nod. they have to cover their bases

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheParadigm posted:

Ah. Then your solution is the Hollandaise Solution - make a second batch halfway into service, after _x_ hours in the danger zone. Half size container, heat up a second pan later in the shift.

That seems a bit conservative, though - isn't it 'reheat to 165 for 15 seconds for all poultry/seafood products, a little less for pork/beef', then 'hold at 140+?'

This is worth checking up on your state's food regulations. I suspect your health department is giving you slightly incorrect but related information. Where are you located?

yeah, seconding this

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

I translated my experience into people and inventory management, work to spec under time pressure, and multitasking.

this is exactly what i did, the inventory management thing is what caught the eye of the person who ended up hiring me

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Animal-Mother posted:

So here's maybe a weird question: Should cooks with terrible hearing go find something else to do for a living or should I spend the rest of my working life apologizing porque no escucho bien? I'm not an idiot. I just can't loving hear you. Kitchen environments can get very noisy and some people habitually speak very softly. No esta bien para mi.

Know of any successful half-deaf cooks?

i've heard of one second hand, but i never worked with her. a lot of it was on her co-workers to make they either were close and loud or at an angle where she could read their lips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Shroomie posted:

The beer delivery dudes at my last bar hated us. Even if we were their last stop, they would still regularly show up at 11AM when there wouldn't be anyone there to take the order until 2:30PM.

when did you open? i was usually accepting food deliveries, not alcohol, but i know i was also coming in a couple hours early when we got a delivery. it was the days that they came late that hosed us, seeing as how the owner was a huge fan of just in time delivery "to maximize cash flow opportunities"

AdorableStar posted:

It's also fun times when you're on a new route you haven't done before so all you can do is follow the order they routed you in and learn later what times people are open for delivery or not. :eng101: Or that they can take you during lunch. Or that they can't.

I remember one guy told a story about how his was so hosed up that he was going to get to a place that opens at 9 at like 6, so he had to spend an hour in the warehouse re-loading his truck just to skip all his morning stops.

Regularly getting to the last stop at 11 when yopu get there 3.5 hours later sounds like free money sitting to me.

i once had a driver covering a route on short notice tell me his next stop was at a nearby mall and desperately ask me if i know where the loading docks were. it gave me the impression that there was another industry as stupid as mine