Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Naelyan posted:

Think of, instead of heating up a pot of something on your stove, you have a GIANT pot of near-boiling oil that you just stick little pots into. That probably seems less safe (because it is). Also now when you pull the little pots out, they're covered in (still near-boiling) oil that makes them hard to handle, leaves messes everywhere, potentially contaminates other food, and also will probably loving burn you. Dripping oil on the floor is a slipping hazard (made worse by the part where you might be carrying another pot of near-boiling something covered in oil), and now instead of your home kitchen where it's likely just you doing things as slowly as you'd like, you're in an environment where everything is rushed and there are multiple people around who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should be to the stupid poo poo you're doing. It's just all around a recipe for disaster. (Plus the little things like metal spoons in a pot hanging over boiling oil [metal conducts heat] and if any of those pots spill into the oil, that poo poo will literally explode)

is it wrong that my biggest problem is that they should have filtered the oil and then added a bit more fresh oil to fill it all of the way?

just sloppy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Dear restaurant owners/managers:

Please make sure your website is up to date, specifically with regards to the days/hours you are actually open.

Sincerely,
a woman who just tried to reply to your "no phone calls, apply in person" ad, checked your website, and got gussied up , drove downtown to your store (courteously during the applying-for-jobs 2-4pm zone, of course), and struggled to find parking, only to find out that you're not loving open on Mondays like your website says

(Welp, at least I know where to park when I go back downtown tomorrow.)

fake edit: But seriously, if I'm that pissed off, imagine how pissed off your would-be customers are.

fake edit part 2: seems like a whole lotta industry folks migrate into IT/coding... some of y'all restaurant vets should band up and make a company that specializes in designing and selling restaurant websites that actually function, stay updated, don't have squirrely interfaces or PDF menus, render correctly on my coal-powered tablet, etc

why the gently caress would you want applicants showing up unannounced? who in this industry has such an excess of free time that they want to set up fun little surprises for themselves?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mu Zeta posted:

Cat Cora now claims she just wanted to start a conversation about what hospitality means.

i personally think it means not having to deal with rear end in a top hat customers

but that might be why i left the industry

now i just deal with rear end in a top hat clients :(

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it helps if you know that someone is going to yell/be passive aggressive at you if you take too long

but yeah, write out your whole process if a recipe is new to you and figure out what steps you can do ahead of time and hold until it's needed, what steps you can cook in parallel, and always have premeasured quantities of all seasoning and ingredients in an easily accessible location

knife skills, developing an internal timer, etc. are all real helpful in getting it done fast, but organization is the majority of it

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 16, 2019

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
came across this today while browsing the internet on my lunch break (my office job means i can actually take these), and this line popped out at me

quote:

One of my regulars told me to look at Zagat to find restaurants, so I biked to Barnes and Noble after my shift and looked for the red book. Then I knocked on the door at the French restaurant Bastide. I interned at Bastide for three months, but they said they couldn’t hire me because I didn’t go to culinary school.

it made me really angry that the article glosses over this like it's an acceptable part of the hard work it to takes to break into the industry instead of someone stealing three months of this persons labor. this isn't even touching on the practice of staging itself, but if they knew they were never going to hire her because she hadn't been to culinary school, why have her work? if they wanted to give her a trial period before making a hiring decision, how is three months a reasonable period of time?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mithross posted:

I had a guest order a veggie burger, which I made her. Her husband had a regular beef burger. For context our veggie patties are half as thick as the beef patties, and you get two.

She called the server over to confirm it was a veggie patty and not beef. He confirmed it.

She called me out to confirm it was a veggie patty, which I did.

She told me it was clearly meat. I told her that the point of a veggie patty is to simulate a meat patty. She didn’t believe me and refused to eat it.

How far up your own rear end do you have to be to think that a restaurant is conspiring to trick you into eating meat, to the extent of having a separate, different looking meat patty to trick vegetarians with?

are you sure you weren't unknowingly in a commercial for veggie patties?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i mean if you're setup in a spot where you got a lot of strict halal or vegan customers on a regular basis i could see it being worth it to do some kind of dual setup, but it's strange to have someone assume you can accommodate them if you don't advertise for it

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

greazeball posted:

The owner of the pizza place I worked at told the cook there was no way to actually track bottled beer sales because there was only one button on the register for bottles. A different cook found out and started taking 12 home every night after his shift.

i don't follow, even if you aren't tracking individual labels, or even just "premium" and "domestic", surely you're still counting the total number of bottles when you inventory? you should still have some kind of tally of bottles sold vs bottles on hand

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

greazeball posted:

He was a lawyer who bought a pizza restaurant on a cool nightclubby street in SF in the 90s cos it had an office upstairs and he thought he was cool like that. He never actually did any work in the restaurant except for the books maybe I guess. I never saw him make a pie or serve a table. He wouldn't bus his dishes when he was done and he wouldn't clean the espresso machine when he made his latte. He also forbade anyone from playing any music except for the 12 cartridges of CDs that he had brought in no matter what time of day or night or who was playing at the clubs. Basically, he had no clue or interest in restaurants at all, it was just a vanity thing for him.

His business partner was the "ideas" part of the operation but idk what she really did either. I think she helped out during the lunch shift (I only ever worked nights) but as far as I could see she just made a new kind of cookie every other month and then went around giving them away to customers or people just walking by and then telling me I was putting too much romaine in the caesar salad and we really needed to watch food costs. She was the least spacially aware person I have ever worked with anywhere, just constantly oblivious standing right in the middle of doorways or walkways and then not responding or moving when you would try and get past.

huh, was there a kitchen manager of any kind? if they really weren't doing any inventories i wonder how they handled their orders with their beer distributor. i'm used to the detached fuckwit owners, but usually there's someone who's at least nominally in charge of these things

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if checks are starting to bounce and people are already jumping ship do not make any plans based around this job, especially not in the term of getting some position months from now

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't really know why, but i've never been in the habit of trying samples. if something on the menu makes an impression just order it. what do you have to lose?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TheParadigm posted:

I could use some brief advice. Roomate works hospitality an quit over christmas (management position in a hotel). While its understandably slow, they STILL haven't recieved a final pay check. So, its 10 days late at this point.

They were expecting a final settlement in direct deposit today and it didn't arrive.

How would you approach this situation? Ask for a final paycheck in person? Strongly worded email? DoL complaint? FTC complaint? All of the above?

They're sorta naive when it comes to negotiating with businesses and setting expectations out.

Colorado if it matters. (They have basically 48 hours to settle after seperation, which is passed.)

i'm not as familiar with colorado labor laws as i am with those of california (and i'm not a lawyer or anything, i just handle some hr responsibilities at a very small company), but based on a bit of quick googling this is what i'd do

if they haven't already done so, your roommate should write a clear and concise email detailing what amount they are owed, for what pay period, and when that payment should have been received. the name of company should be clearly referenced. this notification doesn't necessarily need to have an adversarial tone, but it should clearly state that your roommate is making a formal demand for payment of wages under colorado state law. if your roommate already expects a hostile responses, or if they think that a very formal legalese letter might light a fire under the owner's rear end, or hell if they just don't want to be assed to write something on their own, the colorado department of labor has a form letter here: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/Demand%20for%20Payment%20of%20Wages%20Aug%202019.pdf

sending this notification letter isn't strictly necessary to filing a complaint, but i would start with this because it starts the clock on a 14 day period, after which your roommate is entitled to additional penalties if they have not been paid. holding off on making a formal demand until later in the process, or waiting for the state to send a notification for you after you file a complaint adds a delay to the start of this timer which is just taking money out of your roommates pocket. it also increases the chances your roommates former employer just pays them without the time suck of dealing with the state

if your roommates former employer doesn't respond in a timely manner with a reasonable way forward, i would tell them to file a complaint with the state labor department along with copies of any relevant time cards, pay stubs, and correspondence.

this is contingent on your roommate really needing some kind of reference or industry connection with their former employer. the way i look at it though, if these people aren't even paying your roommate basic wages they're owed, can they realistically expect these folks to provide any particularly valuable help or favors down the line?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm curious, what constitutes a dim sum station? the other stations i'm familiar with all have a bit of a performative element, but i can't think of a way to do that with most traditional dim sum dishes

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Liquid Communism posted:

I really wonder how many places are going to go under. It's going to be a huge number. Just the food waste costs of going to takeout only are going to be substantial when they stocked for regular service.

treasury secretary floated 20% unemployment figure in an interview. if that's sustained it's matched only by the great depression. our one hope is that trump is more competent than herbert hoover...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my company regularly orders from a lunch only place in an agricultural/industrial zoned section of the city. the owner told me today they're keeping up with decently with take-out only, but it feels like any day now the county will give the order to shut down every non-essential workplace, and then these guys are utterly hosed

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

That's some good news at least. I was hearing it was going to be done through unemployment which I'm currently locked out of and can't reach anyone there.

the $1200 one time payment will be done through irs like discendo noted

the 3 month long $600 weekly increase to unemployment will be disbursed through state unemployment programs. i'm honestly not sure if the $600 is a direct augment to what ever benefits you'd normally get, or if it just increases your potential benefit cap if you happen to have been a higher earner.

i guess i'll find out in a couple of weeks

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

droll posted:

Most state's unemployment programs are designed to be difficult to navigate, slow, reject your legitimate claim initially and then inevitably fail/collapse. This crises should really open the eyes of millions of Americans to the failures of unbridled capitalism without a socialized safety net. poo poo got real bad in the early 20th century with the great depression and social/political upheaval. That's how we got FDR's New Deal a massive shift Leftwards in Federal policies and programs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Deal It was bold and it loving worked. The Green New Deal would do the same for us, and frankly it will be required if we want to stop sliding in the opposite direction, in my opinion. Otherwise we're headed for the other direction, like how some other countries went from the same period e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazism

my mom always gripes about how social security was created because people had just spent several years watching as the majority of the elderly and infirm died on the streets. hopefully we don't need to get to that point before we're willing to take action again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

Man so many places I love are not gonna survive this

it's really unsettling. before all of this, in the greater los angeles area from santa monica to westminster to arcadia to van nuys, i knew at least one decent place to grab a bite in almost every neighborhood. part of me refuses to believe that they could all close, but who knows? it's honestly a scary feeling

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yeah, every aspect of the florida unemployment process has been hosed since the word go. and it came out pretty quickly that former governor and human/reptilian hybrid rick scott paid tens of millions of dollars to create a website that was purposely designed to fail

you see, if you make it impossible for people to get unemployment you save money and you get to fudge the employment numbers to look better. and it'll most likely be poor minorities who get hosed over, so who cares? it's not like some kind of once in a century crisis will make this a critical lifeline to millions of people who are then completely hosed over

poo poo really needs to change

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Or even weirdos who like coleslaw.

my life goal is to find every coleslaw recipe i can and make it at least once

mayo based, vinegar based, curtido, it's all great and all different

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
cabbage in all its forms is a transcendent ingredient

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Skwirl posted:

There is bad coleslaw because there are bad coleslaw recipes (or at least people not following a recipe properly)

but more important, there is bad coleslaw because people aren't fully aware of proper food safety techniques.

maybe your immune system shouldn't be a little bitch?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
as someone who would grab a lime out of the walk-in at the end of a friday shift so i could make moscow mules when i got home without stopping at the grocery store, i apologize profusely

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have a question for folks who work in hospital kitchens

the father of one of my friends just got a gallbladder cancer diagnosis and i want to bring over a care package for her and her folks

the rub is that due to diabetes and liver problems, her parents are on a low sugar/ low fat diet . i have no experience at all cooking around that, does anyone who works with accommodating a lot of dietary restrictions have any suggestions of where to start, especially something that has comfort food qualities?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ughhhh posted:

Difficult question to answer without more detail regarding dietary restrictions beyond just low sugar and low fats. Plus chemo and rad therapy messes up taste really badly. Also what kind of fats and what kind of sugars? Depending on the doctors advice/recommendation you can use one kind as a substitute etc. You can cook what you want, but portion control and properly measuring ingredients to comply with dietary restrictions is something you need to learn how to do. You can make a chicken soup from scratch, but only if you have measured or know totals of salt and fat content (how many grams of slat? how much chicken? was it with skin and bone? how much are they restricted on a daily basis? etc). So even if you do cook, just indicating the amounts would do alot towards giving your friend and their father a peace of mind.

My mother had thyroid cancer and sever arthritis due to the chemo. I spent several years taking care of her and cooking for her while working as a chef. My go to type of cooking was Japanese cooking because umami flavoring was very palatable for her and using fish based oils and fats was ok as long as i never overdid it. Another thing to look at is kosher products, not because they are better, but because the ingredients are better managed and you can be more certain of the quantities and sourcing with them because of the kosher certification process.

Its a rough task, but more than the eating of the food itself, im sure your friend and their father would just appreciate the gesture.

thanks for the advice, i reached out to my friend for the exact dietary restrictions and i'm looking into stevia and other substitutes. hopefully i can make something resembling a baked good

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Just do weed about the chemo

i would do this, but my friend and her family are uncool

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i have friends question how i can have fun spending five or so hours on a weekend putting together a dinner party, and i really can't get across that to this day there is a sense of relief that i'm not cooking for ten plus hours in hellish pressure cooker that i find pleasant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Goast posted:

this seemed like the right thread, chipotle has been having a rough week

chicken juice fajitas anyone?

if your area manager/gm were very big on having no prepped proteins in the hotbox during peak, managing to get the right rotation while working the grill was murder even outside of the line plowing through an entire deep pan of veggies like it was nothing

even with that, given the number of vegetarian and vegan customers it would never have crossed my mind to mix cooking surfaces like that even if you temp everything appropriately

these are the things that make my professional life so much more bearable having long ago left the food service industry