Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Liquid Communism posted:

Welcome to the industry.

Can you imagine what the reactions would be in any other professional environment?

"Yeah, Shelley, we're going to need you to come in and run the desk for a couple days so we can get a feel for how you fit the culture before making a hiring decision..."

It happens to visual arts type people, and video games type people. There's a lot of "send your work in for a chance to get it used in our big promotion! You'll get exposure!" Which would be fine, if you could eat exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hell is other people.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

"Ah BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO"- This Thread 2017

No, dude. Your behaviour actually is objectionable. It's not people crying over nothing. Actually listen, and take the responses seriously.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ah BLOO BLOO BLOO BLOO

Holy gently caress, man, you're the one getting salty, saying you're being picked on unfairly, and you accuse everyone else of being crybabies?

You're in the wrong. Suck it up, process the new knowledge, and become a better and wiser person. Don't keep deflecting it with ad hominem attacks.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, you right. I stopped posting because I was getting angry (obviously), but I took some time and talked to a couple different chefs I know about this to get their insight.

Firstly, it isn't illegal per se. U.S. labor laws say that an unpaid position can't benefit the company directly, and in fact might hinder it. Any time I've ever had a stage, he is babysat by a cook all night and ends up slowing that station down considerably, and the other cooks have to help them out playing catchup on prep.

That said, doing the paperwork and dealing with the payroll for a new hire and cutting them a check for what might be one night of work would be a nightmare. We could pay them under the table, and that's something some other chefs I know have started doing apparently, and I'm considering as well.

I hadn't heard about places removing the tip system, so I looked it up. Good to see there is some success there. I'll admit that it's much easier to jump into a pool that already has water in it.

Explosive hostility has a way of making people double down and lash out. Doesn't mean someone is a horrible person though. I've got our chef meeting tomorrow, and I'm going to float this and see where it takes us.

Good on you, dude. I mean it. Both for knowing to stop posting when mad, considering opinions that made you mad when in a calm frame of mind, and considering changing your mind. None of that is easy.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at Aug 2, 2017 around 01:17

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

PSA for everybody: if you're thinking of quitting alcohol (and good on you!), if you've been a heavy drinker for a while you might want to consult a doctor for advice on quitting alcohol safely. Going cold turkey is a bad idea. Alcohol is one of very few drugs where if you're physically addicted withdrawal can actually be fatal.

Getting off the sauce is a great idea! Please take care to do it safely!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

the great deceiver posted:

so at both of my jobs i get order from services like Doordash, Postmates, whatever. i just make em and dont think twice about it, never used em myself but orders for these services are tagged PM or DD on the tickets so to me it seems like we get a lot of them. so i went out to dinner with my mom tonight and she was telling me how her husband and her ordered a couple pizzas from a local store that advertised delivery from one of those services. after they put their order in and pay like 40 minutes later they get a text from the delivery driver who says "im here". well she wasnt there and never actually showed up with their pizzas but they were still charged AND the driver gave herself a $10 tip.

my moms husband calls the restaurant who of course says it's a 3rd party and theres nothing they can do. so he calls postmates who basically tells him to get bent. he keeps writing and finally includes all the documentation as well as the text chain showing that their driver basically committed fraud by giving herself a tip and they finally agree to refund him. after that's said and done he goes onto yelp and leaves a bad review for the restaurant which, as someone who works in the industry, immediately made me queasy. i thought about it for a minute tho and looked at the store's website and they do indeed very blatantly advertise delivery thru postmates on their website and has a way to place a delivery order directly thru the store's website. at first i totally agreed with the restaurant that it was a 3rd party and not their responsibility but the more i thought about i kinda think the restaurant should have taken more responsibility- they very boldly advertised that they did delivery thru this company and this one only on their website and other marketing materials. im still not totally sure what i think about this whole situation so what do you think industry goons?

That is a pretty great degree of deceit, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

In other news, did you guys know how easy it is to get prescription narcotics? Followed up with my doc after all these concussions, cognitive testing showed that I've probably had ADD my whole life and just managed to skate by on just being "very smart" according to the Neuropsychologist. So I get 10mg Adderall XR and I go back in 2 weeks to see if I want to up it to 20.

Have all the stimulants you want, but opiates are like trying to break into fort Knox. I had to get a DNA test to show that I carry a gene that makes me extremely tolerant to opiates(apparently it's common in people with blue eyes). Before that only my Primary doc would believe codiene does nothing for me.

This confused the gently caress out of me until I realised you meant "stimulant" by "narcotic", given what you more or less said was "narcotics are really easy to get, but narcotics are incredibly hard to get!"