Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Skwirl posted:

I had to file a W2 when I was 16 and watching toddlers during church for 10 bucks an hour (so 20 bucks a week), my church could get it together to have things above board for the daycare situation, how is this that hard. I don't actually know how business taxes work, but isn't there something you can do with declaring them an independent contractor to make it simpler paperwork wise for their test night, when someone is currently unemployed, an extra 60 bucks can be a loving lifesaver.

Depending on what state/country you live in, there are qualifications to being an independent contractor that exclude most people who aren't actual independent contractors from being treated like one. For example, in Washington you have to be able to use your own work equipment, and not have either your working locations or your work hours dictated by the person who hired you. You can thank the tech industry for exploiting "independent contractors" until they forced the legislature to tighten up the law.

Putting someone on payroll can be a pain, particularly if you're not linked up with a payroll service and are doing your books by hand, which I assume a lot of restaurants are. You need SSN's, withholding forms, legal residency forms, and then depending on the pay cycle, you're going to cut someone a check for a night's worth of work two weeks or more after their stage? Honestly if it were me running the place, I'd be really tempted to just pay cash under the table at the end of the night.

But despite the flack you were given, I'm glad you're asking around and considering a change, Sandwich Anarchist. Good on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Thoht posted:

What do you like and where are you staying? Chinatown's got some solid eats for cheap. Kedai Makan on Capitol Hill has fantastic Malaysian. Junebaby is getting some great press right now, haven't been myself. Bar del Corso is always great for fancier pizza and Italian small plates. Uncle Ike's is a fun weed shop. Carkeek Park is really beautiful with tons of trails through wooded sections and a big beach with a great view of Puget Sound. You could take a ride on a ferry, maybe to Bainbridge Island where you could eat at Hitchcock.

All of these recommendations are spot on, especially Hitchcock on Bainbridge. In addition, Le Pichet is a fantastic little French place, my favorite restaurant in Seattle.

Sushi Kashiba is the best sushi you'll have in Seattle, perhaps on the west coast. I'm partial to Momiji as a good second choice, but you should get sushi while you're here. Seattle Fish Guys on 23rd and Jackson has the best poke here (tuna), poke being the latest Seattle food fad that pushed out all the teriyaki joints.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Quote is not edit.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
JD -- please post when you've got access to the GFM, I have stuff to give.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Wife got a better offer in Seattle than Tokyo, so we'll be moving to Seattle in March. I want to live in Seattle proper for the first year, where should I live for ~$1000-1200/mo? That doesn't include any utilities. If we like our first year we'll look for a house in one of the burbs.

I'll more than likely be moving to the Fairmont up there, unless someone in here is looking for a sous/CDC.

Zillow now has rental listings as well, both for houses and apartments. You're going to be paying at least $2k/month for anything with more than one bedroom, and sometimes a one-bedroom will be that much depending on how new it is and in what location.

If you stay close to the downtown core, you can easily get by on public transit -- look for stuff in the following places (ranked anecdotally from most expensive to least): Downtown, Capitol Hill, Ballard, South Lake Union, Belltown, Pioneer Square, Fremont, Wallingford, Queen Anne, Central District. Your commute via public transit from these neighborhoods is going to be 15-30 minutes, depending on how far you are from a main bus route.

Neighborhood map: https://external-preview.redd.it/pwzagNpKKFwB-WmpFD7sZkWa2X9Ec6evrqbjuAwZ9Qs.jpg?auto=webp&s=e8cb665da369950763281cbddaee0b20b8f0e1cb
Metro system maps: https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps/maps/system.aspx

The Fairmont is centrally located in downtown, so any bus that goes through Downtown is going to put you off within reasonable walking distance.

Be prepared to be surprised at how expensive everything is here, and how dysfunctional our city government is, and at how visible the drug and homeless crisis is here too. Feel free to PM me if you want; while I'm not in the industry, I do like good food and good drinks and have something of an understanding of the food culture here.