Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Amergin posted:

Y'know CdC... you've been run over, had plates put in, sliced open your hand, had a concussion, got fired...

Did you like, piss on a Native American grave recently or something?

In hindsight, opening a farm-to-table gastropub on that old indian burial ground was a bad idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Wouldn't have been so bad had he connected to the city sewer instead of septic and resist using stuff from the gig for wacky mascot characters.

Also, the Big Chief Sourtoe didn't help either.

I mean, the wacky mascot costumes were one thing, but combining animatronics and human taxidermy just smacked of poor decisionmaking

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk57WmewiRA
In case anyone has forgotten the Woodford Reserve Mint Julep.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for being the id of this thread, A man and his dog.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

That chicken in pork bladder ALWAYS looked and sounded amazing.

RIP

(He also was well known for his affairs.)

Look we already know he was French

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hire a single human to bus tables and monitor drinking. Voilà. Perfect scapegoat employment situation.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

This is why English needs clearly defined imperative and subjunctive moods, damnit!

Nah, just do it like French with "bonjour" vs "bonne journée"

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Clear ice is p easy to make if you just freeze it in like a Coleman cooler in the walk-in, but then you have to melt off the bottom part with all the bubbly impurities after and then chip / carve the remainder of your cooler-shaped ice block.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Total change of topic:

Any suggestions on getting that kitchen smell out of clothes? I'm inured to it at this point, but my husband said "JD, you REALLY have to wash that coat". Just from hanging up in the kitchen, my army coat I've been wearing all winter indeed reeks of fryer oil. I've already run it thru the wash twice (yay free laundry in my apartment bldg), but it still has a distinct aroma of fried food all up in it.

Fake edit: just saw your post while previewing this one, empty whippet box. Good on you! I'm legit happy for you. :)

Oxyclean actually works surprisingly well. Vodka and vinegar also - something about breaking up the bonds blah blah blah. It's probably cheapest to just use vinegar, drink the vodka, and mock Oxyclean though

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Field Mousepad posted:

Mix a little of whatever multi purpose solution you're not allergic to into your washing machine. Once it gets full of water turn it off and let everything soak for 20 minutes or so, then turn it back on and enjoy your sort of clean work clothes!

That reminds me - oxyclean won't do poo poo on bloodstains that have set, it'll only make them darker. And if you overuse it it can make the fabric brittle, leaving it prone to tearing and fit for nothing more than burning in the evidence barrel trash pit in the backyard.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Restaurant Industry Thread: chronicling one man's approximately twenty people's slide info near-functional alcoholism

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
For microwaves, probably the Sharp or Panasonic commercial models. I mean, if they're good enough for 7-11, they can probably handle a kitchen. As for waffle makers... Be careful with Waring, since the "pro" models aren't really suited for restaurant-scale baking. I'd check what the carnies are using, honestly.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is Heartland the same as Golden Malted? Or are they just marginally-different competitors?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Well, it only took a year and six waffle irons from Wal-mart that poo poo the bed after a couple weeks of use, but we finally got a commercial grade Waring iron for brunch! I almost teared up a little bit when I came in at 7am today and saw that beauty.

An actual Waring Commercial waffle iron, or one of the old Waring Pros from before they changed the branding to Cuisinart? :^

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wonderful Christmastime is murderin' music

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

... it's too dark out right now. I'll get one up soon.

Never too dark for hookers and blow :toot:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I thought this thread was for arguing about the morality of tipping and wage inequity, not about what interventions into the lives of others are justified by casual observation of their behaviour in a private establishment

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Chef de Cheesenart, obviously.

Briesinart?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Who let AMAHD back in?

are you seriously asking who let the dogs in

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

My current joint, we had a plate come back the other day because, quoting the server, "she has an intolerance to mashed potatoes".

pride month is an excellent time to learn tolerance

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

I missed this the first time, but ice in wine? :wtc:

well yes

next you're gonna tell me that's not how you make icewine

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

TheKennedys posted:

Yeah, our roof fell off

That’s not very typical, I’d like to make that point.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If you're just looking for a resume template to stick the fancy words into, Creative Market has some decent ones.

(I kind of like this one because it looks sorta like a menu but it's also pretty straightforward without being Word Template-y, but YMMV)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I wonder if there's a way to combine this with a food truck

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Part of the entry is: give a name for your chili.

Red Pepper Hot Chili

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

:stare: And that someone is gonna be me, because both my bio father and my father-in-law are huge model train nuts, my city is crazy about its railway heritage (we have a big honkin' museum dedicated to it), and I love making small dishes.

Seriously, if I could swindle the venture capital for that, that poo poo would go gangbusters in my town. There's already a train-themed "steakhouse" (worst steak I've ever had). We need a gimmicky train-theme place for the huge hipster scene here.

brb, writing up my Kickstarter

not really, I'm not stupid enough to open a restaurant

but yeah, if I won the Powerball lottery, there would totally be a tapas train

would you be able to pay extra for an express train

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

pile of brown posted:

I cut my finger open on a banana

Lethal banana

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've found that high-proof unflavoured vodka also seems to help, though obviously you have to remember to save some for the clothes

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

So has anyone else heard people talking recently about how you can be bartending because you're tending bar but somehow you can't "bartend" because that's supposedly improper English? Or some mix of "bartender", "bartending", "tending bar" and so on. gently caress 'em, they're all valid English and these people are getting incorrectly angsty about English from some meme probably.

I mean it's descriptivism vs prescriptivism in the English language; the former says "this is the way people are using the language now, therefore this is what the words mean" where the latter is "this is what the words have historically meant, so this is how they should be used"

yeah I majored in English and I'm posting in the restaurant industry thread

personally I subscribe to the school of "i don't give a fucktivism", where i don't give a gently caress unless I'm being paid to do so

or if someone is saying "would of", those fuckers can die in a fire

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Who the hell orders a feature salad after 10

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
In utterly depressing industry news, Wendy's is opening up ghost kitchens in Toronto purely for delivery orders:
https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2021/02/wendys-ghost-kitchen-opening-toronto-7-eleven/

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to support my local joints with takeout but jesus, the restaurant scene is getting decimated

I just hope the Irish pub doesn't go under, that'd be a loving tragedy

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

It’s an extremely delicate balance between “supporting the local places I like” and also “I’m making significantly less money gently caress”

I'm lucky in that I got into an essentially bulletproof government IT job before the pandemic

I'm unlucky in that my girlfriend insists I support all the places she can get GF food

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
*sloooooowly slides IWW forms across stainless steel prep table*

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Today we were told that a food photographer would be in between 2 and 4 (so of course they showed up at noon, wtf) to take pictures of two of our signature biscuits. I figured it was some low rent blogger, nbd, but I still dropped the 3 most gorgeous pieces of chicken ever for their glamour shot.

Turns out it was for United Airlines' in-flight magazine. It's not the NYT or anything, but I'm kinda chuffed that people around the world might see a picture of my chicken while bored on the tarmac.

And I wish Sandwich Anarchist still had his airport job, so I could get a copy. :(

I mean you could probably call or email United's customer service line, they'd probably be happy to send you a copy and to have a call where people aren't yelling at them over cancellations, delays, or lost luggage

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How're you gonna keep 'em on the farm when they realize their labor is massively undervalued and underpaid nobody wants to work anymore, everyone is making more on unemployment

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Definitely need an explanation of how the hell this happened ending with "That's how I cut myself with a banana" t i a

are you guys telling me you've never heard of a banana sharpener

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I remember that article - I think my favourite bit about it was that they didn't provide a general warning about the hazards of canned beef and chicken, but just named the guy outright and said 'DO NOT BUY CANNED MEAT FROM THIS MAN'

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
hand pies

savoury hand pies, fruit hand pies, just please ship me all of the hand pies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer