Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Well now I just want to play Jet Set Radio Future again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Most of the major hospitals in my province have outsourced their meal preparation to some giant conglomerate in Ottawa, so all of the meals are packaged offsite, trucked in, reheated, and served. It was not an improvement on having a hospital kitchen but maybe saved a few bucks and that's what matters, right?

The main ones that didn't? The large Jewish hospitals like Mt. Sinai in Toronto. As I hear it, it was proposed to the board, and the board proposed right back that the efficiency people could be the ones to explain to the major donors why they no longer had a kosher kitchen on premises.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

ughhhh posted:

If you actually want a challenge that benefits you and your community around you, try hooking up with your local food not bombs chapter.

All the terror and excitement of working understaffed and undersupplied with none of the pay!!

I started volunteering with a local church that has a free lunch program last March, they eventually decided to pay me after a few months and I'm still there. It's really interesting, I've learned a lot about batch/bulk cooking, budgeting, making do with donations. Lot of interesting clients too, if you like that sort of thing.

We got a lot of plant-based roasted red pepper/basil/garlic dip today and I think it'll make a passable soup with some broth and maybe some (donated) cashew butter as it's cashew based in the first place. Or, it'd be nice on chicken over rice.

You don't know what you're getting in one day to the next so it's really interesting to plan a menu for the week - if you get a shitload of nearly expired donated pineapples on wednesday, do you do a pineapple upside down cake or hawaiian ham? It's a little different than cooking in a commercial kitchen and you do have to get along well with older ladies as it's kind of a staple of this genre.

Yesterday was supposed to be a break of sorts because a pizza chain was going to handle the food, but they kind of forgot or something and so it was shrove tueday pancakes, sausages, baked beans, the aforementioned pineapple upside down cake, fruit, and banana muffins.

Donations are wildly variable, we get a van in from another charity several times a week of the stuff Costco can no longer sell, and it's anyone's guess what's going to the be on the van. Personal donations are also wildly variable with some people thinking granola bars would be good (they are!) and some donating like 17 tubes of harissa.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

WITCHCRAFT posted:

You get up to some kooky poo poo making use of what you have on-hand as well.

Do we ever. It's incredibly satisfying to face a problem, problem solve, and then have an actual finished product that solves another problem. Most of my working life has been working on things that don't have concrete solutions that you can actually see at the end of the day.

The strawberry turnip crumble was a perfectly innocent mistake that could have happened to anyone, and everybody liked it, and it's the fault of whoever labelled the bags being put in the freezer anyway.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh, they were thought to be apples. One of the volunteers (back when they had volunteers) must have cut them oddly when preparing them, they apparently looked just like apple slices. This was all right when I started there, so it wasn't me cooking it.

This:

Is probably the most satisfying piece of kitchen equipment I've used for years. Definitely getting one for home.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We get a lot of "factory second" eggs donated. They're fine, just not the beauties the farmer's market folks will buy. It's been an education in the possible varieties of chicken eggs, I'll tell you. Never knew they could be wrinkly.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Fancy cheese person is a dream job. Congratulations!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
One of the ladies at work is super gung ho on a getting an industrial meat slicer and I just think back to my first ever job at 14 as a dishwasher, and peacefully going about spraying dishes while the prep guy behind me cut off a sizable portion of his hand on one. He was apparently fine but never returned.

But, no, go ahead, get that meat slicer that you want to have to... reslice bread more easily. I'm sure it will be fine. She only wants it because we do ham a lot and even the boneless ham chunks we get on discount are too much to slice by hand.

At least get a cut-resistant glove.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Ahhhhhh, I can see that if it's frozen and you're going for ultra thin. I was imagining a fresh loaf going all over the place, trying to make sandwich slices with it turned up to 15.

And now I want that bruschetta, dammit :argh:

Oh my no, the bread is already sliced, but it's sliced too thick, so loading slice by slice into a meat slicer to halve the slice is the optimum use of technology!

The bread did get halved with a knife in the end.

But I can still feel the pent-up lust for a meat slicer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Victoria & Alberts in the Grand Floridian at Disney has a dress code, where they require men to wear a suit jacket. But they will provide jackets to those that don't have one.

Trying to think of what cartoon it was where a restaurant provided a "loaner jacket" by means of a pair of tongs, moths and stink lines included. The Critic maybe?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It was ham today which meant more discussion of the much wanted meat slicer and the purchase of same. It's going to happen. There will be blood.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Update re: the meat slicer. We have obtained the meat slicer. Pray for us.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TheParadigm posted:

Was this the meat slicer your work wanted to use for bread, tho?

It's the best thing since double sliced bread, yes.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Motion to rename you "angermeat"

Mithross posted:

or "angerwheat" depending, I guess

I have an avatar gimmick but if I can get a good one made somewhere I'm not against it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The slicening draws ever closer. The box has been opened because there was bread needing slicing, but it was decided that it would take too long to set up and so a volunteer was commandeered to slice the bread.... by hand ! :ohdear:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well, the new meat slicer was broken out on friday, and used to slice up a ham log (remember ham? It's back, and in log form.) It's loud and doesn't work very well but is probably better at even pieces than doing it by hand, and the volunteer who was tasked with slicing the ham log seemed to enjoy it. The ham log is not sufficient for our numbers, there needs must be another ham log.

No one is sure how to clean the slicer. The slicer now lives on the table at the back of the hall, glinting with malice.

Also, one of the other food charities (which does 600-700/night) has decided they don't want to do that anymore and they'll be doing food reclamation and sorting, then delivering produce so we don't have to spend all that time picking through moldy berries. We usually do 150-200 for lunch so we have no idea what effect them closing will have on our numbers. The board keeps assuring us that we're a lunch program and they're a dinner program so why would our numbers go up?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wearin' jorts and drinking Malort

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We got new knives last week, they are CutCo brand and cost $700. Everyone is terrified of them and we already had one person stick them back into their plastic sheathes wrong, causing the extremely sharp brand new knife to get stuck. We got it freed eventually and people went happily back to slicing cabbage on the meat slicer.

The slicer has not yet drawn blood, the knives (and associated vegetable peeler) have.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh a 100%, I'm only commenting on the knives themselves as objects. I got roped into their scheme in my late teens, I know firsthand what they're about.

Yeah they actually seem like pretty good knives, the funniest part to me is that I know they're a pyramid scheme because back when I was a GBS mod (and we were all younger) a good number of goons got suckered into selling them every summer like clockwork. :v:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
well you have to test the tongs for tonginess

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Liquid Communism posted:

CDC says 700k new COVID cases this week. Almost double the 2020 and 2021 peaks, and still rising, but they bent the knee to investors so nothing will close.

In Ontario, they've closed dine-in for two weeks (yeah, right, see you in spring) and I have a client at the meal program who had just gotten a kitchen job, on his own merits, nice guy, and he was fitting in well and doing well, and now he's cut loose and probably not eligible for the "luxe" $270/week government bonus laid off people get, nor unemployment insurance. Like, he tried, and got hosed for trying. He should have just stayed on disability.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Heinz's managed to piss off a lot of Canadians and French's (they also make ketchup) has taken a firm grip on the wallets of the ketchup-minded savvy Canadian consumer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nudejedi posted:

If you wanna work for free, volunteer at a soup kitchen you brainwashed serfs.

We would like to have more volunteers at the soup kitchens!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

angerbeet posted:

I started volunteering with a local church that has a free lunch program last March, they eventually decided to pay me after a few months and I'm still there. It's really interesting, I've learned a lot about batch/bulk cooking, budgeting, making do with donations. Lot of interesting clients too, if you like that sort of thing.

Hello, restaurant industry thread. A little update. As it turns out, I do like that sort of thing.

I am now officially the Senior Administrator for my free lunch charity. Six months in and passed probation.

I've been through a lot over COVID, as everyone has, but I think sticking with charity has been the right decision, and it's the one happy accident that came from this horrible time.

I have now personally served over 55,000 meals to marginalized citizens of my city. Now, my focus is on paperwork and grant writing, but it's been an experience like no other in my life.

Thank you to all of you in the thread who have been kind enough to encourage me and to share recipes and ideas.

No they did not find a paperwork specific role for me because of the strawberry turnip crumble. Everyone liked it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

prayer group posted:

I felt like Significant Gnawings jumped out at me a bit more.

that's a better username than title, so :mods:??

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just do the dishes while you shower. Both you and the dish are covered in spaghetti sauce.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I have two cooks out with COVID please someone shoot me

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I did a salad but I hope people like radishes

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Let's move on.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So it turns out the grease trap and one of the toilets that a client managed to clog share the same downpipe to the sewer. Ask me how I know!

Does anyone have a preferred degreaser? :negative:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There is no inch of the kitchen that hasn't fallen apart since the new year :negative:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I think the tiny pizza looks OK.

e: like I would want some mayo to dip in in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's always good to keep allergen cross-contamination in mind, I guess.