Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You charge money for the services they provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd still eat at Cook-Out if it was owned by Satan himself.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Discendo Vox posted:

Just to be clear, although Cook-Out is Very Christian, I have no knowledge that the company or its ownership have any heinous political beliefs, employment practices, etc. I want to like their shakes, but they're so dang thicc I find them inedible.

Look at this loving cop.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Willie Tomg posted:

joycian scat struggle

Mods, namechange plx.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Idgaf about the titties, but the food is dog poo poo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
it's still true tho

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
No, there's only one:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Y'all are crazy, that achewood tattoo is legend.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The episode where he went to Mexico with Carlos Llaguno Garcia (who tragically died of cancer at 38 in 2015 which I found out looking up how to spell his name). When the whole town poured out and basically set up this royal reception, Bourdain so obviously uncomfortable at being put on this pedestal, while simultaneously showing an iron clad determination not to let it get in the way of everyone having a good time.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
why are you trying to change the subject about your behavior which ppl have been talking about? i haven't been following the thread that long, but it seems like you should address it?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'll keep taking my amphetamines and be a functional human being.

I don't mean to belittle your condition, but aren't you literally in the process of working yourself to death?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

We (both mine and my sister restaurant next door) used to buy from Sysco and US Foods. My KM, who does the ordering for both places, threatened to kick Sysco to the curb if they couldn't get our trucks in by 5am, bc we open at 6am and need to have the staff on deck, not loving around with trucks. US always got there by 4:30, even during freak snowstorms in April. She finally made good on that threat, bc Sysco just couldn't get their poo poo together, so we don't deal with them anymore.

Can't wait to tell my KM your story, that's just horrible and all the more reason not to deal with them.

One of my favorite parts in Kitchen Confidential was when his manager had the trucks that showed up late unload everything so he could confirm the manifest then load it back up and gently caress off because he doesn't accept late deliveries. Iunno if it's true, but I like to hope it is.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

In other news, I'm moving to Tokyo in 12-18 months. I have the option to stay with our parent company and work in Osaka, or I could look for something in Tokyo, any recommendations?

I've been in Tokyo since 2005, but I don't work in food. Osaka is by all accounts ok, probably a better place to live than to visit. It doesn't have as many foreigners as Tokyo so the food scene isn't as varied. Kyoto is very cool.

What would you be looking for in Tokyo? I assume you don't speak Japanese, and I think you'd be crazy to work in a Japanese kitchen unless there was somebody specific you knew of that you wanted to work for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
99% sure no hotels in Tokyo are serving TexMex.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Also, is your wife Japanese?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

OmegaBeard posted:

CdC, Tokyo is better.
BBQ is a huge hit with foreigners, but most places that don't serve poo poo "adapted" for local tastes die. So there's a severe lack of good BBQ.
I'm sure Stringent will let me know just how wrong I am though.

You're right and you know it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

A Man and his Hog posted:

Like seriously, I can’t get fired from this job.

Not with that attitude.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Couldn't you just create a different job title/grade for the more experienced cooks?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah if I smoke weed I'm dumb as hell. That's why I never smoke it.

:thunk:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

I just don't know how to help him aside from listening. :(

Don't fire him.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Liquid Communism posted:

Undocumented workers work cheap, keep their heads down, and never ever ask for unemployment or workers' comp.

They are an incredible draw to a certain sort of cheapass owner.

Also seem to have a disproportionate number of bomb rear end cooks.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shooting Blanks posted:

One place I managed, we let one of the servers do the playlists for the floor because he was a big music guy. Generally worked out really well, except one particular lunch shift he's dealing with a table, the song changes and he takes off in a dead sprint to the office to change it. Apparently he set the wrong playlist that day and gently caress The Police was about to start. Oops.

What was the problem?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Animal-Mother posted:

Our newest idiot cook asked the Asian waitresses what specific type of Asian they are and if they know Kung Fu.

Can't wait to hear about why you're not supposed to injure this person. :allears:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The one true heezy posted:

just go to your local asia mart and get 10 kiwis for 15 bucks and you'll have a sharp as gently caress knife for 30 shifts... depending on how much knife work you're actually doing :xd:

I agree the accent is unforgivable, but this is a bit extreme imo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ApolloSuna posted:

I can hit links in pms and stuff after work. JD you got acess etc?

I want in too when you get around to it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

JacquelineDempsey posted:

AND THE FACT THAT I JUST DROVE MY CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A YEAR

:woop:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Just stop eating for a few months, what's the big deal?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Wear what you normally wear to work. Reason for that is, the people interviewing you will almost never be as conscious of what you are wearing as you are yourself, and in an interview you want to be as close to your "at work" mindset as possible. Like, the best interview you could possibly give is if they came by the place you currently work at and stood over your shoulder for half an hour.

So yeah, that's my $0.02.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a great restaurant in San Francisco called Mozzeria that has an all-deaf staff, including the owners. Even the people that do repairs and installations are deaf.

never heard of it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

A part of me feels like i'd be crazy not to jump on this opportunity

I agree with that part.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hang on I got mixed up, is the OP a waiter or a marriage counselor?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Anne Whateley posted:

What about if you see a guy drop a pill into his date's drink? I mean it could be alka-seltzer. You don't want to be a white knight drama queen or hurt your tips. Maybe she forgot her medication and he's taking care of her

Yeah, I reckon I'd find a discreet way to let the date know about that one.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Brutal.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Quabzor posted:

Had a child bring a beyblade arena into the restaurant.

These are fun as heck.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Timby posted:

Quit drinking, get some help, stop being a rapist.

Not necessarily in that order.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Turkeybone posted:

I remember getting an achewood cookbook for like my birthday or christmas years and years ago, it was surprisingly legit -- I think whoever makes it definitely has industry experience.

You should read the comic.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I wouldn't mind being forced to eat out more often.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SHVPS4DETH posted:

had an order come back for a "well done" burger

difficulty: i work at a vegan restaurant

had fun imagining someone on the opposite side of that spectrum going "AND THAT VEGETABLE BETTER STILL BE GROWING WHEN IT HITS MY TABLE"

i am so very, very tired

Having a lol thinking about medium rare tempeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Imma have to gently caress with that.